Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ebay - two accounts question

Technically is it against ebay policies to have two accounts?

I know why some do it --- like to have one for selling and one for buying

I know why others do it -- to help shilling

But, is it against ebay policy?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

No it is not against any policy to have just one account.

I have 2 selling accounts a buying account and an account I use for posting on Ebay boards.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
No it is not against any policy to have just one account.

I have 2 selling accounts a buying account and an account I use for posting on Ebay boards.
Sounds shady to me. I have one account that I use and have always used for everything. No good reason to have more than one that I can see.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lots of reasons to have more than one.

First only a fool would buy on the same ID they sell on. If you have an issue with a seller what stops that seller from destroying you with other IDs? Then again I think its foolish to post your Ebay id on these boards for that same reason.

Second its a way to take full advantage of the listing specials Ebay has some are only offered to store owners and others are offered to non-store owners.

Last edited by shrevecity; 10-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Lots of reasons to have more than one.

First only a fool would buy on the same ID they sell on. If you have an issue with a seller what stops that seller from destroying you with other IDs? Then again I think its foolish to post your Ebay id on these boards for that same reason.

Second its a way to take full advantage of the listing specials Ebay has some are only offered to store owners and others are offered to non-store owners.
Sorry still sounds shady and it is against Ebay regulations as far as I know. I guess I'm a fool but I always play by the rules. Character flaw.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
Old 10-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Show me the rule that says its against Ebay rules? SHOW ME.

You wanna talk about shady. Look at the feedback you have left.

Negative/Neutral Feedback left by jmscoggin
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is the official Ebay policy on the matter. As long as you are not using it to circumvent restrictions and otheer violations you are perfectly within your rights to have multiple accounts.

Using multiple accounts

There are many reasons why users would choose to have more than one eBay account. For example, users who like to buy and sell may want separate accounts for each activity. Other users who maintain businesses on eBay may prefer to manage separate accounts for different product lines.

Whether you have one account or more, eBay expects users to manage each of their accounts effectively in order to meet the highest buyer and seller standards. These standards and rules regarding performance, risk, and best practices are applicable for each account and help ensure a safe and positive experience on eBay.

Users are expected to resolve issues as they arise, and follow the steps provided by eBay to bring accounts back into good standing before continuing to buy or sell with other accounts. Learn more about how to increase limits on your account.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don’t, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?

Allowed

Users may have multiple accounts on eBay. We understand that there are various reasons why someone would choose to have more than one account.

Not allowed

Registering new accounts or using other existing accounts to avoid buying and selling restrictions or limits or other policy consequences.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Glad to see that feedback history......Now blocked.......I have 5000 feedbacks in which about 3500 are as a buyer, when i leave my next negative or nuetral feedback it will be my first.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Show me the rule that says its against Ebay rules? SHOW ME.

You wanna talk about shady. Look at the feedback you have left.

Negative/Neutral Feedback left by jmscoggin
Shady? Because I expect to not be screwed over and I leave appropriate feedback? Yeah, ok. I have been buying and selling on Ebay for 15 years and you found 20 negs and 8 neutrals and consider that shady? Real concerned with what you think of me. Feel free to block me as the next guy has done. I also use one account not 3-5 like you do so all of my feedback and everything else is an open book as it should be. I have no reason to play shell games as you are.

Edit: And for the record, 10 of those negs were on one seller that tried to scam me by sending an empty bubble mailer on a multiple item purchase. In all of my years on Ebay I have never received a neg because I do things the right way and I expect others to do the same. Aparrently I am wrong about the policy of multiple accounts and have no problem saying so. I still don't see the need to have seperate accounts for buying/selling or any other reason but it isn't against the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Glad to see that feedback history......Now blocked.......I have 5000 feedbacks in which about 3500 are as a buyer, when i leave my next negative or nuetral feedback it will be my first.
See above. If you have that kind of history and have never left a neutral or neg you are either the luckiest Ebayer in the world or someone that doesn't hold people accountable and refuses to use feedback to warn other buyers/sellers.

Last edited by jmscoggin; 10-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not jumping in the argument, but there is nothing "shady" about having multiple accounts if you aren't using them to bid on your own items.

It is NOT against any ebay policy, and it is actually quite common. There are plenty of reasons to buy and sell on seperate accounts. On the rare occasion that I need to leave less than positive feedback for a seller I don't have to worry about him buying something from me just to spite.

A posting ID is also very common on ebay. I never used one when I was a regular over there, but there was many that did.

I see why it may sound a little funny to have more than one id, but it is in no way shape or form against policy or shady as long as the member is using them properly.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
Not jumping in the argument, but there is nothing "shady" about having multiple accounts if you aren't using them to bid on your own items.

It is NOT against any ebay policy, and it is actually quite common. There are plenty of reasons to buy and sell on seperate accounts. On the rare occasion that I need to leave less than positive feedback for a seller I don't have to worry about him buying something from me just to spite.

A posting ID is also very common on ebay. I never used one when I was a regular over there, but there was many that did.

I see why it may sound a little funny to have more than one id, but it is in no way shape or form against policy or shady as long as the member is using them properly.
Wish it hadn't turned into an "arguement" but I do find it funny that the guy that is advocating only one Ebay account is the only one here that has his Ebay linked. As if the people that believe in multipules have something to hide, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not attacking you as you make decent points. I will say that of all of the negs and neutrals I have left ( and apparently it is a lot ) I have yet to have someone retaliate as you are saying. Is it possible? Absolutely but I trust in Ebay handling that if it happens. I did have a BO member pull that on me when he got mad but Ebay fixed it. I just can't see a need to have multiple accounts and none of the posts here have convinced me. Ebay allows it which has been proven here but I question anyone that feels the need to do it.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have multiple accounts...I buy on one..sell on on..and sell on the other lol...I don't like people knowing what I paid for something when im trying to sell it..if they see I got a steal they will expect to get a great price as well...its only shady if your using them to shill bid...not all multi account holders are shill bidders...some people have wives and gfs who get nosy and set limits on spending...one of my ebay accounts is connected to the pp and bank account she knows about...the other ebay accounts she don't know about and she hasn't the slightest clue I have other bank accounts as well...

people like their privacy and usually the ones who call out shady practices are usually the ones who are using them as well
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
Wish it hadn't turned into an "arguement" but I do find it funny that the guy that is advocating only one Ebay account is the only one here that has his Ebay linked. As if the people that believe in multipules have something to hide, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not attacking you as you make decent points. I will say that of all of the negs and neutrals I have left ( and apparently it is a lot ) I have yet to have someone retaliate as you are saying. Is it possible? Absolutely but I trust in Ebay handling that if it happens. I did have a BO member pull that on me when he got mad but Ebay fixed it. I just can't see a need to have multiple accounts and none of the posts here have convinced me. Ebay allows it which has been proven here but I question anyone that feels the need to do it.
I definitely see your points and see where you are coming from. Different people just prefer to handle it different ways. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm glad ebay has helped you with the issue. I just don't see it being worth the hassle personally. Even if it only happens once in a blue moon.

I've slowed way down on Ebay recently, but the reason I don't link it here is I really just don't feel like messing with some troll who didn't like what I had to say. I've seen several posts concerning it on here the last couple years concerning that, and I just don't feel like dealing with it.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryw View Post
I have multiple accounts...I buy on one..sell on on..and sell on the other lol...I don't like people knowing what I paid for something when im trying to sell it..if they see I got a steal they will expect to get a great price as well...its only shady if your using them to shill bid...not all multi account holders are shill bidders...some people have wives and gfs who get nosy and set limits on spending...one of my ebay accounts is connected to the pp and bank account she knows about...the other ebay accounts she don't know about and she hasn't the slightest clue I have other bank accounts as well...

people like their privacy and usually the ones who call out shady practices are usually the ones who are using them as well
You had me until the bolded part. I see some good points before that. Nice passive aggressive dig with absolutely no merit or reason behind it. In 15 years on Ebay I have had one account and never even changed the id. Just have had no reason to. I have never bought something on Ebay and then turned around and sold the same item so I guess I see that but with completed listings being checkable does it really matter? Buyers are still going to use it against you whether they know you were the buyer or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzig View Post
I definitely see your points and see where you are coming from. Different people just prefer to handle it different ways. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm glad ebay has helped you with the issue. I just don't see it being worth the hassle personally. Even if it only happens once in a blue moon.

I've slowed way down on Ebay recently, but the reason I don't link it here is I really just don't feel like messing with some troll who didn't like what I had to say. I've seen several posts concerning it on here the last couple years concerning that, and I just don't feel like dealing with it.
Yeah, as I touched on above it happened to me. A now banned member got upset about things said here, clicked on my Ebay link and hit a BIN on a high dollar item and paid instantly. He did this to be able to neg my Ebay account and I have never had a neg. He then also opened a Paypal claim stating that someone had hacked both his Ebay and Paypal accounts and it wasn't him who made the purchase. Fortunately he wasn't real smart and I got him to admit to it via Ebay PM. That along with the threads here got Paypal to rule in my favor. Still, I believe in transparency and I would rather have it linked and be transparent than not.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

but with completed listings being checkable does it really matter?

Yes, but many do not know how to check things like that. The main concern is and if it happens unless you can prove it through Ebay messages they will not do anything, look at your negs you have left. I know for a fact one of them has 2 buying IDs. You would never know who they are could buy from you with both of those IDs and kill your DSRs. They don't have to leave a neg to put you out of Ebay. With your volume of sales 2 low DSRs could do it.

A few years back there several Ebay board posters who got attacked by a group of about 10 trolls of those 17 9 were banned and still are banned and the culprits were on the boards bragging about it.

I had a person create another ID to get around a block, I caught him called Ebay, Ebay said even though it is a violation to use a second ID for that purpose there is nothing they can do.

Never rely on Ebay to fix things like that because 9 times out of 10 they will not.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
but with completed listings being checkable does it really matter?

Yes, but many do not know how to check things like that. The main concern is and if it happens unless you can prove it through Ebay messages they will not do anything, look at your negs you have left. I know for a fact one of them has 2 buying IDs. You would never know who they are could buy from you with both of those IDs and kill your DSRs. They don't have to leave a neg to put you out of Ebay. With your volume of sales 2 low DSRs could do it.

A few years back there several Ebay board posters who got attacked by a group of about 10 trolls of those 17 9 were banned and still are banned and the culprits were on the boards bragging about it.

I had a person create another ID to get around a block, I caught him called Ebay, Ebay said even though it is a violation to use a second ID for that purpose there is nothing they can do.

Never rely on Ebay to fix things like that because 9 times out of 10 they will not.
Very good points. They are precisely the types of things that made me stop selling on Ebay to begin with.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

[QUOTE=jmscoggin;5831730]You had me until the bolded part. I see some good points before that. Nice passive aggressive dig with absolutely no merit or reason behind it. In 15 years on Ebay I have had one account and never even changed the id. Just have had no reason to. I have never bought something on Ebay and then turned around and sold the same item so I guess I see that but with completed listings being checkable does it really matter? Buyers are still going to use it against you whether they know you were the buyer or not.

So I use a generalization towards the whole population and somehow in your brain im making a dig at you? This might come as a surprise to you but your not the only one in the world..drop the ego buddy

Bernie Madoff was in business for 15+ years also..he didn't scam either did he..

your total years on ebay and 5 bucks might get you a starbucks coffee
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

and yes even with complete listings it matters...5 cards sell for 100, 105, 106, 104, and 65 (ended at 4am)...you got the steal at 65...no one needs to know that...you can just use it as a statistic and not a realistic selling point and they cant use it as the norm against you