Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ebay vs COMC

I've been debating on trying some selling on COMC. I've bought on sold on Ebay for about 15 years but think I might want to give COMC a shot. Are there items that sell better on COMC than Ebay? What are COMC advantages/disadvantages? I know these are real Noob questions but I'd like to get the opinions of some people who have used the services before jumping in head first. Thanks for the help.
marl1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have no interest in selling on COMC. Ridiculous initial processing fee, ridiculous cash out fee. I'm good. I'll stick to crappy feebay.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
I have no interest in selling on COMC. Ridiculous initial processing fee, ridiculous cash out fee. I'm good. I'll stick to crappy feebay.
If I am not mistaken, it is about 25 cents per card. That is the equivalent to selling a $2 card on eBay. The cash out fee is high, however you can buy a nice card or two with the money and flip it on eBay. That's what I have done. I think a lot of people get turned off to paying the money up front. My last shipment was $115 for 400 cards (including shipment price), but it pays off over time.
AllenWilliams87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenWilliams87 View Post
If I am not mistaken, it is about 25 cents per card. That is the equivalent to selling a $2 card on eBay. The cash out fee is high, however you can buy a nice card or two with the money and flip it on eBay. That's what I have done. I think a lot of people get turned off to paying the money up front. My last shipment was $115 for 400 cards (including shipment price), but it pays off over time.
I'm under the impression, could be wrong,
that really low end cards priced below (25 cents?) are exempt from the processing.

One can also minimize the cashout fee by using the $$ to buy on comc or by transferring it to BO credit for boxes.

Please do correct any of the above as this is whats in my head as I think this thru myself.
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 HR #536
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Quote:
I'm with AW. You're basically paying COMC a 20-cent per card listing fee (depending on the option you choose). That 20-cents also includes them sorting, packing and shipping, if/when the card sells.

And agree completely about the way to avoid the cash out fee. I recently purchased 4 PSA vintage cards as a way to skirt the 20% to sell on eBay, and it worked perfectly.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

COMC is a amazing for selling the boxes of base star cards from high end sets, parallels, numbered cards, refractors, and low value jerseys and autos. The bulk rate is .20 per card, and I usually send in 2500 cards at once in a large flat rate mailer. They scan in every last card, and within 5-6 weeks I have a giant collection up there, then put up the whole port for sale, and I easily get 15%-20% of book all in one shot! Yes, I have to put up $400 first but after one sale, I have an extra $1500 in my pocket or in Blowout gift certificates. Thats $1500 that would be sitting in your monster boxes FOREVER, or at least until they became worthless. Unless you love listing thousands of cards on eBay for $5.99 and have no job or family to distract you from your full time eBay job.
danimal875 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, I have over 25,000 cards on COMC and have only given them about $400 in processing fees. The trick is to use your sales to keep funding the processing. The downside is that I have yet to be able to cash out anything because I have been sending in order after order. Eventually I'll have everything sent in and will be able to start getting money out. Fees are definitely high but the peace of mind and ease of use are awesome compared to Ebay. No scanning, shipping, pm's, feedback extortion, NPB's, scammers etc.

I think the great philosopher, Ron White, said it best, "I had the right to remain silent but I did not have the ability".
jmscoggin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

The ONLY downside I've seen so far is that it takes so d@mn long to price a large shipment...but it still isn't anything compared to eBay.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't know why they would get mad about paying the money up front. I've never had to put any money into it. They give you a coupon on your first order for $20 worth of cards for free. So I sent in 80 cards in my first order, when some of those sold I then sent more to add to the inventory. It can be pretty slow in getting things sold but it does build up.

The only money coming out of my pocket has been the shipping cost of sending my items for submission. After that its all them, they make large scans front and back of the card plus put in its description. You just have to set the price that you want to sell after they've done their work

To date I've only submitted 339 items, 152 have sold. Nothing at all high end, highest book price was $30, mostly parallels, refractors and inserts. Stuff that wouldn't even be worth listing on Ebay and getting more than a couple bucks for the best items. With that I've been able to buy cards like a PSA 3 1956 Topps Willie Mays, a PSA 3 1952 Topps Monte Irvin, some other necessary items towards my Willie Mays collection. For me, like I said, something its slow moving but overall has been great in getting some very nice cards and haven't really had to pay anything
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

i did this $$ comparison on new years day...not done in full but you can get the idea

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/e...c-vs-ebay.html
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote