Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/)
-   -   Major Paypal Phishing scam! 39 GBP to Skype (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ebay-comc-online-selling-shows-paypal-shipping/600096-major-paypal-phishing-scam-39-gbp-skype.html)

benshobbies 10-16-2013 04:05 AM

Major Paypal Phishing scam! 39 GBP to Skype

Hey Guys,

Received an email today that almost gave me a mini heart attack, until I checked my paypal account and saw that I in fact did not send 39 GBP to Skype.

The email looks exactly like paypal's email, copy for copy, except where it says "Click on this to resolve an issue" leads to a bogus paypal site which will take your paypal login and password and than they will use your account to send money.

Word of advice -- Always log in on a website to do all your transactions, never file a dispute or a claim through a link on your email.

Benjamin

[email]Spoof@paypal.com[/email]'s email to me:

Hello Benjamin,
Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!
Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.
Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
[email]spoof@paypal.com[/email], you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.
Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.
Thanks,
PayPal

I reported it to gmail too as phishing. :-)

shrevecity 10-16-2013 08:58 AM

When you get emails like that first grammar usually gives it away, then many times it will say "Dear member" not your name. Last give away is go to the link and hover your cursor over it then look at the bottom of the screen. It will show you the link it is routing you to. It will not be Paypal.

Best way is anytime you get a message like that do not click any link, it could still upload a virus just by clicking on it. Instead go directly to the site itself and log in there. If the issue is legit it will show up there as well.

Kane1 10-16-2013 12:18 PM

Avoid to log in to any page by any e-mail message. I received a lot of scam e-mails even from services I'm not a member. Some are really so good, but always miss something. So check closely before become go in heart attack mode.

benshobbies 10-17-2013 07:09 AM

Yeah, the thing that got me with this one, is it went into my main in-box. Gmail has an intense spam blocking system, yet somehow this one got beyond the spam blocker, so it was an immediate concern.

Dunno how they got it past google's spam blocker when the address wasn't even from paypal itself.

Benjamin