Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My COMC rant.....

I just recently attempted to buy a bunch of cards that I needed to complete a set I am working on through COMC. I like using the site due to the fact that I can pay one shipping and handling fee for cards purchased through multiple owners and I can buy cards over a long period of time and have them hold them until I get a large order and save on shipping. That is where the positive experience is starting to end. If I'm wrong, feel free to explain where I have veered off path.

The overwhelming majority of cards listed on the site are commons. Cards that under any other circumstance, the lister would probably never have the chance to move. They would sit in their owner's closet and simply take up space. Therefore, if I make an offer on your common card, it should be considered a pretty good day for you. In addition, if your common card is overpriced to begin with, you should not be looking to counter my offer just because COMC gives you the option to do so. I do not make lowball offers, but I am not looking to grossly overpay for a card just because their is only one currently listed on the site.

Here is an example of what I run into on a regular basis. On COMC, their is a 2013 A&G Mini Fergie Jenkins #55 listed as "on sale" for .86 cents. I make an offer of .60 and get the ".63 is the lowest offer this seller will take" message. I figure I'm already over paying, but I will take one for the team and make the .63 cent offer. The owner actually counters with .75 cents. If you won't actually accept your own lowest offer, then why offer it? I then flip over to sportlots and find five different sellers who all have the same card available a a lower price than the seller on COMC.

I know many of you may say why are you complaining about an .86 cent card, but when you are buying 50 cards at a time to finish off some sets, the price gouging on COMC adds up. COMC gives you the ability to counter. That should be done with a fair value in mind. If you can't offer a fair price, don't expect your cards to sell. I am quickly losing interest in COMC and moving over to sportlots.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can pay one $3.00 shipping fee on COMC. How much shipping are you paying for 50 cards on Sportlots?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

It depends on how many people you are purchasing from. In my case, I purchased 35 cards from three different sellers. Total paid for shipping was $7.03. So it is $4.00 more than COMC but when you look at the difference in price for the actual cards, it pays to go through Sportlots.

Let's put it this way, of the 35 cards I purchased on Sportlots that were also available on COMC, every one of them (except for four) were priced at less than half of what COMC had them listed for.

People think that they have to start out with a high price on COMC because they are already anticipating a low offer from a buyer. Once they get the offer, they counter with another offer that is still higher than normal because they have to feel that they are making a profit. Why do you need to make a profit? You have cards that you don't want. Sell them at fair value and use that money to buy the cards that you really want. If you really look at it, you are basically getting something (the cards you want) for nothing (commons that you normally can't give away).
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortuantely, the $.25 handling fee is really hurting the low-end sales on COMC.

Here's how your example looks to the seller.
You offer $.38
Seller probably paid $.25 to list the card. Figures why not try to make a quarter and counter w/$.50.

It's COMC taking $.50 from each sale that is your real complaint here.

Also, the "lowest offer" is a generic setting based on a percentage set by the seller. That doesn't mean it is to be accepted. In fact some sellers feel it is lowballing to offer the minimun amount.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

The guy above me beat me. Its basically 50 cents to list a card on the sometimes so your offer is only a dime to the seller. I know i havr the issue of turning down decent offers o commons but when i make a nickel i migbt counter back.
Steve Slaton- 356 Different
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Considering the fact that I don't sell on COMC, I guess that explanation makes a little more sense. It seems as though COMC is simply used for the convenience of not having to put any effort into selling cards. It's a sort of fire and forget type of relationship. They do all the work and the seller simply sets the price and either accepts or counters the offers.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
It seems as though COMC is simply used for the convenience of not having to put any effort into selling cards. It's a sort of fire and forget type of relationship. They do all the work and the seller simply sets the price.
yup, yup, and yup = that's why I use COMC! Sounds like you were writing a commercial for them.
cyndeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pennies, dimes and quarters? Seriously?
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

"Here is an example of what I run into on a regular basis. On COMC, their is a 2013 A&G Mini Fergie Jenkins #55 listed as "on sale" for .86 cents. I make an offer of .60 and get the ".63 is the lowest offer this seller will take" message. I figure I'm already over paying, but I will take one for the team and make the .63 cent offer. The owner actually counters with .75 cents. If you won't actually accept your own lowest offer, then why offer it? I then flip over to sportlots and find five different sellers who all have the same card available a a lower price than the seller on COMC."

What are you talking about ? Comc does not allow messages or private messaging
I think what you are seeing is: the seller is setting thr minimum offer at around 75%, and thats why you see 'minimum offer .63'

That doesnt mean he will accept it.. That is just the minimum set

70K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndeeg3 View Post
yup, yup, and yup = that's why I use COMC! Sounds like you were writing a commercial for them.

I know that seems like the best pro advertisement for joining comc. I've never had to pay a dime out of my own pocket, just let the cards sit there and try and sell. When it builds up then I pick up cards for my PC
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
Considering the fact that I don't sell on COMC, I guess that explanation makes a little more sense. It seems as though COMC is simply used for the convenience of not having to put any effort into selling cards. It's a sort of fire and forget type of relationship. They do all the work and the seller simply sets the price and either accepts or counters the offers.
Exactly, thats what makes it easy....its been a lot easier for me to send to COMC rather than scan and list on ebay...if my initial prices don't sell after 3 months, I start lowering them, but its a heckuva lot easier than relisting all the time

It's no sweat to the seller to counter, like you said, the seller probably couldn't sell them on ebay anyway, but since they've already paid the processing fee, and if its priced low enough, they are not incurring any more in storage fees, so they have the luxury to hold out for whatever price they want...if someone else eventually sends that card in, then you start seeing both prices lowewr, since each will try to beat the other as the lowest price on the site...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Why in the world do people continue to think that COMC is a good place to sell low end cards? COMC is a full service site that does all of the work for you yet people continue to believe that they are being grossly overcharged.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote