Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Comc Buyers-Are you just buying less now?

First let me say I am a buyer/collector. I started flipping on the site a little just for fun and I sent in a bunch of cards during the promotion to use to swap for pc cards.

Since there have been a number of seller threads complaining about sales I was just wondering what buyers are doing. Are you still buying the same amount? finding good deals? Buying less because of the new fees or lack of bv?

I have been buying less partly because I think about the fees and have to decide do i really want to pay to ship a low end card or it is worth flipping it. Also I feel like the deals aren't as good as before and maybe I just realize I have so much I only want to buy it if it's a amazing deal. Still love the site and hope this is not what everyone is thinking but curious to know what buyers think and whether they think the site needs to worry about it
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan42 View Post
First let me say I am a buyer/collector. I started flipping on the site a little just for fun and I sent in a bunch of cards during the promotion to use to swap for pc cards.

Since there have been a number of seller threads complaining about sales I was just wondering what buyers are doing. Are you still buying the same amount? finding good deals? Buying less because of the new fees or lack of bv?

I have been buying less partly because I think about the fees and have to decide do i really want to pay to ship a low end card or it is worth flipping it. Also I feel like the deals aren't as good as before and maybe I just realize I have so much I only want to buy it if it's a amazing deal. Still love the site and hope this is not what everyone is thinking but curious to know what buyers think and whether they think the site needs to worry about it
I haven't bought from them in forever, but it's just because I have a real small scope of PC needs and none of them are on there now. If they were there I'd still happily buy.
I'll be good
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I noticed that for much of what I had initially looked at comc for I often found on sportlots for less. The change in BV and the shipping changes made me look less often too. Honestly there were lots of times where the site itself just wasn't responsive so I've spent less time there.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
I noticed that for much of what I had initially looked at comc for I often found on sportlots for less. The change in BV and the shipping changes made me look less often too. Honestly there were lots of times where the site itself just wasn't responsive so I've spent less time there.
I did forget that BV left...that killed it a bit for me. It was nice to have an idea of what my cards booked for. I get why they got rid of it for free accounts but it was so nice lol.
I'll be good
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

COMC is great for buying low-end stuff in bulk, in my opinion. I'll go there and look for lower end PC stuff, and if I can find a handful of what I need, I'll make a purchase. Bought like 40+ cards there twice in the last month.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm still buying but like the poster above I have narrow PC needs. Stuff I want just isn't coming available. As a seller it is way down although this month has been a rebound compared to the previous three.

"Fark it, I quit".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ive only been buying Cole Hamels cards and Mid-High End Tradebait cards that I can get on sale. Other than that, Ive flipped a few really cheap low end cards...but Im trying to move away from the low end in general
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sales are without a doubt off from previous years. This may be hobby dying before our eyes or poor COMC performance due to the changes over the past year. I honestly would peg it more on the collecting singles dying an ugly death. I am not ready to throw in the towel because I have 1,300 great new cards that will be hitting by Thanksgiving Day.

My sales over the past week have been especially ugly. I keep reminding myself that Good Friday is coming.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I buy ALOT less from COMC from previous years, the prices on a lot of things are just ridiculous. There is a card I was interested on COMC for 139.00 Beckett 9 WAY WAY to high--bought the identical card last week on ebay for 4.63 would grade a 9 or higher. Some sellers are not realistic then complain that they cant sell anything.

I'm for having as many avenues to buy things, I think some sellers are killing themselves with unrealistic prices.

Hopefully with the holidays coming up you sellers can increase your sales
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

My buying has dropped down now that the minor league season is over, but it'll pick up before my trip to Spring Training. For an IP autograph collector, there's simply no better place to pick up cards.
hohlernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

As a buyer, if a seller counters my offer, you lose my business. Whenever I go on COMC, which is like once a month, I make 50 or so offers. I would say 80% get accepted, and the other 20% get countered. The problem is that I've already made my monthly visit, so I'm not really looking to waste time and go back to accept a counter offer. So my advise is just set the minimum price at what you are confortable accepting. If you try and counter, you'll most likely lose that spur-of-the-moment purchase.
enyouartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I only use COMC to buy base cards for sets I am working on.

The first issue for me is that new inventory does not get added often (at least for the sets I'm working on). If the common I am looking for is not available in June, its still probably not going to be available in November.

The second issue is pricing. For some cards I want/need, the prices are ridiculously out of line with reality, probably because the sellers do not bother to adjust their prices to the reality of the market.

The third issue is that for the most part, COMC rarely has inserts from the sets I am working on. In all honesty, I don't think I've ever spent more than $5 on a single card on COMC because of this. Anything high-value is going to show up on EBay, not COMC.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
My buying has dropped down now that the minor league season is over, but it'll pick up before my trip to Spring Training. For an IP autograph collector, there's simply no better place to pick up cards.
Sportslots is better in my opinion. If you are going for IP autos on cards (I do the same) sportslots is where I go to buy bulk. Most base cards of Minor Leaguers can be had for .20/card.
mbrown2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good for finishing low end sets, but that's about it for me. I was looking at a few cards that routinely sell for $25-$35 on ebay and the starting price on comc is over $120!

Seems to be more of a museum lately
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've been selling stuff a lot slower this past month, and in transition I have also been buying less. I normally just buy PC cards, or cards for set's that I'm working on with what ever money is in my account from sales that I make.

I hope it picks up with the Thanksgiving promotion!
Amberkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown2626 View Post
Sportslots is better in my opinion. If you are going for IP autos on cards (I do the same) sportslots is where I go to buy bulk. Most base cards of Minor Leaguers can be had for .20/card.
Yup!

Cards cost less on sportlots than the shipping fee alone on COMC.
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

I've picked up around 250 jordans since I started buying a month ago. Problem is mostly is that 95% of everyones prices are just way too much. Mostly at absurd levels. And most sellers just don't budge or offer 10% off their initial price. I have a pretty small port with low end stuff so the demand might not be there but I've still sold over 150+ cards in the last month, granted everything I have listed is the lowest price.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS1313 View Post
I've picked up around 250 jordans since I started buying a month ago. Problem is mostly is that 95% of everyone's prices are just way too much. Mostly at absurd levels. And most sellers just don't budge or offer 10% off their initial price. I have a pretty small port with low end stuff so the demand might not be there but I've still sold over 150+ cards in the last month, granted everything I have listed is the lowest price.

I'm in the same boat. I've sold a little over 150 cards over the last month mainly because I try and constantly make sure everything I have is the lowest on the site and usually lowest by a decent amount not just a couple pennies. Am I making the most off of every card I could make, probably not but I'm sure I've sold quite a few cards I wouldn't have if they weren't so cheap.
smit5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Just like any other business - if you price your product correctly, people will at least give it consideration.

There are a lot of cheesy sellers on there, doesn't mean you have to buy from them.

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'm both a seller and a buyer, but I can't/won't buy unless I am selling.
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

seems like low end cheap stuff is still overpriced on COMC. cards i can (and do) win for .99 are priced at a point where the minimum offer is often double or triple what it goes for on ebay.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

The one thing I usually consider is that it isn't usually a .99 delivered price on eBay.

If you're lucky you end up paying around $2.00-$3.00 to have it delivered so the total cost ends up being $2.99-$3.99 delivered per card. Of course, if you get multiple cards from a seller they usually give you a break.

I'm not saying I love the COMC shipping price, but I do take the cost of delivery into consideration when I buy.

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
My New Blog - http://comcadventures.blogspot.com/
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

I am a pretty big buyer and seller on comc. I think it all has to do with
Season. Sales are up for me this week because basketball startrd.

I blame the rookie football class. I completely stopped buying 2013 football
Inventory and i think so has the public.

But comc is getting pricey fire me as well
Cost me 300 for a yearly beckett subscription. I also pay
150 to 200 a month in storage fees and then around 500 to 750
In processing fees

Chine on and cut us a break on fees.
marines4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marines4me View Post
I am a pretty big buyer and seller on comc. I think it all has to do with
Season. Sales are up for me this week because basketball startrd.

I blame the rookie football class. I completely stopped buying 2013 football
Inventory and i think so has the public.

But comc is getting pricey fire me as well
Cost me 300 for a yearly beckett subscription. I also pay
150 to 200 a month in storage fees and then around 500 to 750
In processing fees

Chine on and cut us a break on fees.
I have been saying this for some time. Moe is good about responding to topics but he always ignores this one. It is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. There need to be some type of breaks for big sellers. If Ebay can do it than there is zero reason that COMC can't.

"Fark it, I quit".
jmscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoggin View Post
I have been saying this for some time. Moe is good about responding to topics but he always ignores this one. It is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. There need to be some type of breaks for big sellers. If Ebay can do it than there is zero reason that COMC can't.
Well, they have the upgrade to increase the level where a seller has to pay storage fees. Although it's really set up to only benefit maybe the top 25 sellers or so. I'm more interested in them giving some breaks to big BUYERS.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote