Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default SPORTLOTS like clock work.

$2000 in payments the first 3 months on that site. Check arrived today like clock work every first week of the month.

check it out, i knew about that site for years and thought nothing of it. Started selling 3 months ago and received over $2000 in payments the first 3 months.

add this selling site to your things to do.
amazingpacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Impressive, what are you selling?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm curious to know what kind of stuff you are selling on Sportlots and how you went about loading it all.
toppsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nothing special. It is crazy. i send most my low-mid range cards to comc and you know all the inserts that comc has 30 copies and 0.10 price. those i sell for $.25 - $1 on sportlots. just crazy. no huge sales , nothing special.

i been on there only 3 months, so its not like i got any special secrets. same common sense as comc.

wish i took that site serious a few years ago.

that place might be a hidden gem!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've been selling on Sportlots since 2008, and have sold 7242 cards. I think right now, I'm averaging around $20 or so in sales a month, but considering my 73,000 card inventory is almost 99% commons, that's not bad. I think I've only ever done over $100 in a month once in the past 5+ years.

One of the best things to come of setting up shop in Sportlots is that it forced me to organize my collection. Now almost all of my "for sale" cards are sorted by set, and all the sets are collated by number, making it a LOT easier to locate cards and to know what I have. I'd recommend the same for anyone planning to add a lot of cards to the site. Early on, it is very important to have an accurate inventory, and to be able to put your hands on all the cards you have listed for sale. Until you've built up several dozen sales, it is very easy to get bounced from the site for issues with orders (like having to issue refunds for cards not found and cards in worse condition that listed, both of which count against your inventory/order accuracy).

Once you've got your cards sorted, you can be absolutely sure you are only listing cards for sale that you actually have. Then you'll find that the more cards you can get listed in the system, the more you're likely to sell per order.

As with COMC, sales are usually good when you are the only seller of certain sets, or one of relatively few sellers. Smart buyers will always try to maximize the number of cards they can get from a single seller to keep shipping costs down for the order, as as a result, they aren't always just looking for the seller with the lowest prices, but rather the combination of low prices AND total shipping.

In the past 5 years, I've snagged piles of old Topps and Panini stickers and over the course of a year, turned a profit from selling singles because I was the only seller on the site with them listed. In many cases, it was clear I was selling to player collectors, team collectors or those who collect players from certain countries. I'd fill orders for 20 cards of the same player across 18 obscure sets. When I scored a bunch of boxes of 1993 Lime Rock Dominican Winter Baseball, I send Sportlots the checklists, and ended up tripling my investment selling singles to collectors of Dominican players over the course of a year or so.

Sort of like COMC, you have to be very dedicated to make a fast buck on hot products, but if you have patience (and seriously how long have all those cards been sitting in your closet collecting dust?), even with near junk inventory like I have, you can have enough of a trickle of sales to pay for all your shipping supplies and still cover your Netflix bill every month Unlike COMC, Sportlots is probably NOT a good place to try flipping cards. All of the above is strictly related to the fixed price sales. I don't bother with the auctions. For far too long, there was no search capability for the auctions, so visibility was near zero, and lots of stuff just went for the minimum.

Also, Sportlots does have an offer feature, so people aren't necessarily stuck with the listed prices. I've rarely received any offers. 99% of my sales are just straight sales.

So if you're weighing the pros and cons of the site, and concerned about the hefty commission they take from sales (and the same goes for COMC, or even eBay) consider how much money you have NOT been making on all those idle cards in your closet before getting upset about Sportlots taking a big percentage of your sales. Taking in 60% of SOMETHING is better than 100% of NOTHING (just a rhetorical example, I'm not saying Sportlots takes 40% of your sales). Their fee structure is geared toward driving sellers to sell more cards. The more you sell, the less the percentage in fees. This is because the piddly 1 & 2 card sales for $0.25 actually lose them money because of Paypal/credit card overhead.

Last edited by DaClyde; 02-07-2014 at 03:53 PM.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I've been selling on Sportlots since 2008, and have sold 7242 cards. I think right now, I'm averaging around $20 or so in sales a month, but considering my 73,000 card inventory is almost 99% commons, that's not bad. I think I've only ever done over $100 in a month once in the past 5+ years.

One of the best things to come of setting up shop in Sportlots is that it forced me to organize my collection. Now almost all of my "for sale" cards are sorted by set, and all the sets are collated by number, making it a LOT easier to locate cards and to know what I have. I'd recommend the same for anyone planning to add a lot of cards to the site. Early on, it is very important to have an accurate inventory, and to be able to put your hands on all the cards you have listed for sale. Until you've built up several dozen sales, it is very easy to get bounced from the site for issues with orders (like having to issue refunds for cards not found and cards in worse condition that listed, both of which count against your inventory/order accuracy).

Once you've got your cards sorted, you can be absolutely sure you are only listing cards for sale that you actually have. Then you'll find that the more cards you can get listed in the system, the more you're likely to sell per order.

As with COMC, sales are usually good when you are the only seller of certain sets, or one of relatively few sellers. Smart buyers will always try to maximize the number of cards they can get from a single seller to keep shipping costs down for the order, as as a result, they aren't always just looking for the seller with the lowest prices, but rather the combination of low prices AND total shipping.

In the past 5 years, I've snagged piles of old Topps and Panini stickers and over the course of a year, turned a profit from selling singles because I was the only seller on the site with them listed. In many cases, it was clear I was selling to player collectors, team collectors or those who collect players from certain countries. I'd fill orders for 20 cards of the same player across 18 obscure sets. When I scored a bunch of boxes of 1993 Lime Rock Dominican Winter Baseball, I send Sportlots the checklists, and ended up tripling my investment selling singles to collectors of Dominican players over the course of a year or so.

Sort of like COMC, you have to be very dedicated to make a fast buck on hot products, but if you have patience (and seriously how long have all those cards been sitting in your closet collecting dust?), even with near junk inventory like I have, you can have enough of a trickle of sales to pay for all your shipping supplies and still cover your Netflix bill every month Unlike COMC, Sportlots is probably NOT a good place to try flipping cards. All of the above is strictly related to the fixed price sales. I don't bother with the auctions. For far too long, there was no search capability for the auctions, so visibility was near zero, and lots of stuff just went for the minimum.

Also, Sportlots does have an offer feature, so people aren't necessarily stuck with the listed prices. I've rarely received any offers. 99% of my sales are just straight sales.

So if you're weighing the pros and cons of the site, and concerned about the hefty commission they take from sales (and the same goes for COMC, or even eBay) consider how much money you have NOT been making on all those idle cards in your closet before getting upset about Sportlots taking a big percentage of your sales. Taking in 60% of SOMETHING is better than 100% of NOTHING (just a rhetorical example, I'm not saying Sportlots takes 40% of your sales). Their fee structure is geared toward driving sellers to sell more cards. The more you sell, the less the percentage in fees. This is because the piddly 1 & 2 card sales for $0.25 actually lose them money because of Paypal/credit card overhead.
this pretty much sums it up. I really have no idea how anyone there can do $2k in sales over 3 months - unless you are doing a lot of high end auctions and are giving them a huge chunk of the profits. Like daclyde says, I do have about 17000 cards listed of which nearly all are commons & you have to ask $0.18 minimum. My total sales since 2/2010 is just shy of 5000 cards. I have sold a few cards in the $5-$50 range, but not many. It's all extra money, but you have to keep up on it. I got a neutral in my first few sales because I wasn't using the correct protection according to the buyer and I learned my lesson from there and investing in semi-rigids. You need to keep plenty of envelopes, stamps, semi-rigids, softsleeves on hand as you never know when a sale or sales will come through. I used to have canadian buyers but it's just too expensive to deal with a few cards to them, so I stopped selling unless I'm asked. The site does evolve every now and again and does have great checklists.

I've been using them since I believe 2009 and my best month I may have cracked about $150.00. I do have a lot of repeat customers and only have had a few packages go missing, since most are PWE for the singles. If you are organized and can keep up then it works great for it's purpose.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's my favorite place to buy. I enjoy the fact alot of the sellers ship
extremely quick. I think if they changed the Site just a little bit
It would improve your all sales so much.
Like making it easier to search by seller.
And letting me figure out how to use my loot lol
Old 02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Couple of questions. As a buyer on there, I have a lot of sellers send me cards via PWE. How do you protect from chargebacks from unscrupulous buyers?

On an .18 card, how much do you make after fees?

20% off Auto Accept on COMC Always On!
If you ask for a price/make an offer - please have the courtesy to respond.
Swipe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I been selling only 3 months. mostly low end sales. I knew about sportlots years ago and regret not taking that site seriously until the other month.
nothing special about what i sell. this is a small screen capture of sales.
NO HIGH END SALES, ALL regular stuff.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

They need to modify their 1,2,3 auction format. I want to know when the card is going to end, not wait 3 more days to see if my bid stands.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe79 View Post
Couple of questions. As a buyer on there, I have a lot of sellers send me cards via PWE. How do you protect from chargebacks from unscrupulous buyers?

I believe most seller's offer either or you just have to select before you pay.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I've only had one person screw me for sure, and about 2-4 total packages go missing in total (out of nearly 5000 cards +-) as they were repeat buyers before and after. 1-4 cards I will do pwe but offer upgraded, after 4 its all the same price and in a bubble mailer.

the site does a good job of monitoring buyers and sellers. as a seller you can see they type of feedback buyers leave and can block if you want. they track returns and claims by both parties.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am a bit confused by their fee structure. Can someone explain that with an example? If I sell a card for $10 in a store, what would be my fee?

All of my inventory is kept here- www.beckett.com/users/neckababy1 and updated daily.
neckababy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

The fees aren't based in individual sales, they are based on your total sales in a month. The fees are explained here:

http://www.sportlots.com/Guide/Guide...tores.htm#fees

So the less you sell, the higher the fees. Their fee structure is designed to encourage higher volume.

Here is my Januuary breakdown:

I shipped 15 orders.

Sales totaled $23.73 (<-- fees are based on that number), shipping costs totaled $27.16.

You set your own shipping costs, but the more reasonable your shipping, the more you're likely to sell.

So my gross revenue was $50.89.

I just missed one of the fee breaks, as I made less than $24.99, so Sportlots got 50% of my sales.

In total, Sportlots took $14.43 in fees ($11.87 to Sportlots <-- half of the total sales, $2.56 to cover PayPal fees).

On February 1, Sportlots deposited $36.47 in my PayPal account. Like COMC, you also have the option of just leaving your income in your Sportlots account as credit, but the cards I wanted from the site dried up a long time ago, so I opt for the payout.

----------------
From Sporlots Sellers Guide:

Monthly Fee Schedule
Low Amt High Amt Fee Pct.
$0.00 $4.99 75%
$5.00 $24.99 50%
$25.00 $49.99 35%
$50.00 $99.99 27%
$100.00 $199.99 23%
$200.00 $299.99 20%
$300.00 $499.99 18%
$500.00 $999.99 17%
$1000.00 $1499.99 16%
$1500.00 Above 15%

To encourage the sale of higher valued cards, Sportlots only applies a portion of the sale of these higher priced cards toward the above fee schedule. Cards with selling prices between $5 and $15 will only have 50% of the sale price above $5.00 applied to the above fee schedule. While cards selling above $15.00 will only have 25% of the sale price above $15.00 applied to the above table.

Here's an example of how this works. In this example, let's say a seller sells a $50.00 card.

First $5.00 100% applied to the above fee schedule $5.00 applied
Next $10.00 50% applied to the above fee schedule $5.00 applied
Next $35.00 25% applied to the above fee schedule $8.75 applied
In this example, the seller only had $18.75 of the total $50.00 applied to the fee schedule above, giving this seller $31.25 in sales with no fees that applied.

-----------------

So, based on the above, Sportlots would only apply their fees against half of that $10 card you sold. It gets complicated, but again, the more you sell, the less percentage they take.

Something else people seriously need to take into consideration when selling cards is the actual economics involved, not the fantasy land of book value. If you buy a pack of cards for $3 and get a $30 card out of it, you're out of pocket $3. At MOST, you have $3 invested in that card. If you then sell it somewhere for $20, and the site takes 30% in fees, you still get $14. You have made a profit of $11. Book value does not enter into the equation. Just because you sold it for less than BV, does not mean you LOST money on a card you only had $3 invested in.

Last edited by DaClyde; 02-08-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

OK, so let me get this straight. In the above scenario, you sold $23.73 in cards (not including shipping) and you only came out of it with $9.30??? If this is correct, can someone tell me what the positive is to sell on the site compared to EBay or COMC?

All of my inventory is kept here- www.beckett.com/users/neckababy1 and updated daily.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the breakdown - I looked through the fees a bit ago and wasn't sure I was reading it right. Doesn't seem worthwhile to me - paying the high fees and doing all the packaging/shipping (and not being reimbursed for shipping until the end of the month). I will still buy there on occasion.

Quote:
The fees aren't based in individual sales, they are based on your total sales in a month. The fees are explained here:

http://www.sportlots.com/Guide/Guide...tores.htm#fees

So the less you sellthe higher the fees. Their fee structure is designed to encourage higher volume.

Here is my Januuary breakdown:

I shipped 15 orders.

Sales totaled $23.73 (<-- fees are based on that number), shipping costs totaled $27.16.

You set your own shipping costs, but the more reasonable your shipping, the more you're likely to sell.

So my gross revenue was $50.89.

I just missed one of the fee breaks, as I made less than $24.99, so Sportlots got 50% of my sales.

In total, Sportlots took $14.43 in fees ($11.87 to Sportlots <-- half of the total sales, $2.56 to cover PayPal fees).

On February 1, Sportlots deposited $36.47 in my PayPal account. Like COMC, you also have the option of just leaving your income in your Sportlots account as credit, but the cards I wanted from the site dried up a long time ago, so I opt for the payout.

----------------
From Sporlots Sellers Guide:

Monthly Fee Schedule
Low Amt High Amt Fee Pct.
$0.00 $4.99 75%
$5.00 $24.99 50%
$25.00 $49.99 35%
$50.00 $99.99 27%
$100.00 $199.99 23%
$200.00 $299.99 20%
$300.00 $499.99 18%
$500.00 $999.99 17%
$1000.00 $1499.99 16%
$1500.00 Above 15%

To encourage the sale of higher valued cards, Sportlots only applies a portion of the sale of these higher priced cards toward the above fee schedule. Cards with selling prices between $5 and $15 will only have 50% of the sale price above $5.00 applied to the above fee schedule. While cards selling above $15.00 will only have 25% of the sale price above $15.00 applied to the above table.

Here's an example of how this works. In this example, let's say a seller sells a $50.00 card.

First $5.00 100% applied to the above fee schedule $5.00 applied
Next $10.00 50% applied to the above fee schedule $5.00 applied
Next $35.00 25% applied to the above fee schedule $8.75 applied
In this example, the seller only had $18.75 of the total $50.00 applied to the fee schedule above, giving this seller $31.25 in sales with no fees that applied.

-----------------

So, based on the above, Sportlots would only apply their fees against half of that $10 card you sold. It gets complicated, but again, the more you sell, the less percentage they take.

Something else people seriously need to take into consideration when selling cards is the actual economics involved, not the fantasy land of book value. If you buy a pack of cards for $3 and get a $30 card out of it, you're out of pocket $3. At MOST, you have $3 invested in that card. If you then sell it somewhere for $20, and the site takes 30% in fees, you still get $14. You have made a profit of $11. Book value does not enter into the equation. Just because you sold it for less than BV, does not mean you LOST money on a card you only had $3 invested in.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

this is crazy. I sell on ebay,comc,sportlots and tried all the rest.

*I spend the most time on my comc account, repricing,offers,price checking. least amount on sportlots. Ebay makes 8-10x in sales so i will not compare ebay as ebay is still king by a mile.

**both comc and sportlots are great!

***comc sales last month $676 but still in my comc account not in my hands.
sportlots sales last month $655 and inhand.

****just sent comc 1000+ cards, cost $38 fedex + $300 fees when posted. i will eventually make money on the 1000+ cards but dont think i will break even in 30 days.

*****sportlots only pays once a month. but i been only selling 3 months and have almost $2000 inhand from the 3 months. over $3000 in sales on comc the last 6 months and never have cashed out but i do have a port that is gaining steam.

*******packing the cards for shipping takes a couple of minutes each order and i get paid for it.
i dont pack the cards on comc and dont get paid for it.

*********i spend 10x more time on my comc account even though i dont pack and ship.

Again, i posted some interesting info on another thread. sold some inserts for $.75 each that are currently posted on comc for $.09 - .50 that are not worth submitting to comc because of the prices, so sportlots is just another way of getting rid of your really really really low end singles.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

Yes, I understand it is another avenue and I thank you for bringing attention to it. Just trying to figure out the cost difference. For example- you keep speaking of the 4 cards you sold for .75 cents each. That would come out to $3, right. The way I'm reading the fees, you would only make .75 cents for the sale and then subtract out the Paypal fees of 30 cents, down to .45 cents and then a 2.5% charge. So , please correct me if I am wrong, but your total take on a $3 sale is about 40 cents?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

This is how I think it breaks down - three cards at .75, for $2.25 in sales. Then $1.75 for shipping the cards it looks like. If those are the only three cards he sells, he is charged 75% of the sale. Paypal fees would be taken out of the grand total $4.00. Shipping is $1.93 plus supplies.

$4.00
subtract fees for cards -1.69
subtract postage cost -1.93 (supplies not figured in)
subtract Paypal fees - .30 plus 2.9% of transaction - total of .42

On that four dollar sale, you would lose four cents before cost of supplies. The fees do come down after you reach $5.00 to 50%, so as long as you can sell enough to make it worthwhile, I guess it could become viable if you have the time.

At $25.00 worth of sales - you would net out $16.25 from the sales and then $15.49 after Paypal fees. That's not figuring in shipping costs or supplies. I guess for me, it's the thought of spending 3-4 minutes for each sale packaging up and how many sales it would take to make it worthwhile. Say you hit the $25 above by having 15 different sales. That's 45-60 minutes of packaging for $15.49 - it's just not worth it to me. If you had the spare time, it could be worth doing.

Last edited by Swipe79; 02-08-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckababy1 View Post
OK, so let me get this straight. In the above scenario, you sold $23.73 in cards (not including shipping) and you only came out of it with $9.30??? If this is correct, can someone tell me what the positive is to sell on the site compared to EBay or COMC?
The positive is that those nearly worthless common cards would not have sold on eBay or COMC for any amount of money, and I covered my Netflix bill for a month, and now I have 92 fewer cards cluttering up my house. You couldn't find a much more low-end seller than me. I'm not trying to sell you on the benefits of Sportlots. Just relating my experience. Would I like to sell more and pay less in fees? Sure. Is that likely to happen? Probably not. Does it cause me to lose sleep? Not so much.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
This is how I think it breaks down - three cards at .75, for $2.25 in sales. Then $1.75 for shipping the cards it looks like. If those are the only three cards he sells, he is charged 75% of the sale. Paypal fees would be taken out of the grand total $4.00. Shipping is $1.93 plus supplies.

$4.00
subtract fees for cards -1.69
subtract postage cost -1.93 (supplies not figured in)
subtract Paypal fees - .30 plus 2.9% of transaction - total of .42

On that four dollar sale, you would lose four cents before cost of supplies. The fees do come down after you reach $5.00 to 50%, so as long as you can sell enough to make it worthwhile, I guess it could become viable if you have the time.
Why would you charge less for shipping than it actually costs to ship? If you run your Sportlots store as a charity, you'll lose money.

Last edited by DaClyde; 02-08-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

I did the math correctly - $2.25 X .75 = $1.69

It's what he said he charged on the shipping - hopefully he has adjusted prices to reflect the increase in postal rates.

Quote:
Fees are only taken out of the sales, not the shipping. So the 75% would only be against the $2.25, not the $4. And why would you charge less for shipping than it actually costs to ship? If you run your Sportlots store as a charity, you'll lose money.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Work backwards? $2000 in my hands the first 3 months. what was my sales? i have no idea how the fee structure works.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Is the fee structure the same for auction?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Just based on the fact that you have $2000 in hand, I would guess you paid them about 17-18% of your sales. So around $350 in fees paid out to Sporlots and another $50-60 to Paypal.

I don't know how much you paid in shipping, but you would need to subtract that from the $2,000 as well I would assume. Depending on the number of sales, you also need to factor in supplies and such before you get a true number for how much you actually netted from that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingpacks View Post
Work backwards? $2000 in my hands the first 3 months. what was my sales? i have no idea how the fee structure works.