Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
this thread being moved to this forum will kill this thread
That was the intent.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
Manufacturer

I feel it is important to let the hobby know that we wanted to attend the Industry Summit but could not get any communication with it's owner.

I did not want the hobby to not see us at Industry Summit and think that we don't want to support the hobby which we do.

My situation has nothing to do with Leaf, I don't want to sue the Industry Summit but I would like to know what has changed in one year that we are no longer welcome.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #53 (permalink)

^^^
Dr Price
Have you via social media, message boards, or at sports cards conventions done anything that might have turned some of the big boys against ITG?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
I feel it is important to let the hobby know that we wanted to attend the Industry Summit but could not get any communication with it's owner.

I did not want the hobby to not see us at Industry Summit and think that we don't want to support the hobby which we do.

My situation has nothing to do with Leaf, I don't want to sue the Industry Summit but I would like to know what has changed in one year that we are no longer welcome.

Brian Price
When the so called "Industry Summit" has an "owner", it is no longer relevant. Even if the people involved do not get along or feel slighted in some way, the players of the industry should be involved. Until everyone can come together and have a legit platform, it's just a meeting of those who get along and don't ruffle feathers.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #55 (permalink)

Dr. Price,
What is your current opinion on companies having exclusives with players?

I know Brian Gray in the past loved the idea especially when his Razor used it along with Tim Beckham/Matt W as their main players and also with leaf with D Lillard.

However, at last year's summit BG did a complete 180 and stated how they are bad for the industry and challenged all companies to get rid of them.

I'm curious to where you currently stand on the exclusivity situation.

thanks in advance for your answer
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #56 (permalink)

Thank you all for your feedback in this thread.
We tweeted earlier today a link to this thread and that we would like to see ITG and Dr Price at the Industry Summit in Vegas.
Dr Price is very passionate about this hobby and his attendance at the industry summit is both warranted and deserved.
comicbookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
I can understand why the industry fails to recognize Leaf as a credible company. His wrongs while under the Razor name to begin. Add the fact he simply buys cards on eBay and packages them up is not exactly awe inspiring innovation.
Another company did the exact same thing recently, buying up UD, Topps, OPC, Ultra, etc cards, slabbing them, and selling them in their product.
CrownCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^
Dr Price
Have you via social media, message boards, or at sports cards conventions done anything that might have turned some of the big boys against ITG?
Rhetorical question, no?
CrownCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookjunkie View Post
Thank you all for your feedback in this thread.
We tweeted earlier today a link to this thread and that we would like to see ITG and Dr Price at the Industry Summit in Vegas.
Dr Price is very passionate about this hobby and his attendance at the industry summit is both warranted and deserved.
Thank you Fish!!!

I also saw that the NHLPA is a sponsor and wrote them requesting they repeal their sponsorship of this event if they fail to recognize one of the industry's greatest supporters of hockey;
Contact Us
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #60 (permalink)
Manufacturer

1) by posting here, is this a passive aggressive way of trying to be classy yet calling the promoter out?

No, if we are not invited to attend, it is important to me that the hobby know that we have not voluntarily withdrawn our support.

2) did you do anything at last year's summit or since then on twitter or message boards where you threatened to turn the hobby upside down and challenge the big boy companies ?

Absolutely not, I was not in attendance last year due to a last minute illness and all we did is promote our products and do a redemption and a giveaway at our booth.

3) what's you opinion about the CEO of leaf and the avenue he has taken as far as challenging licensing? Do you see why maybe some of the big boys don't want him at the summit if he's going to run his mouth?

This is the USA and Brian Gray is a passionate person. He voiced his opinions and whether I agree with them or not is not important. My company should be judged by what we do and our thirteen years in this business. To not even give us the courtesy of a reply is in my opinion, unprofessional.

4) do you see ITG and Leaf as a tandum in challenging the industry or do you separate yourself from the avenue leaf is taking?

Leaf does business their way and ITG does business our way. We do share a passion for the hobby, that's for sure.

Hope I answered your questions.

Brian Price
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #61 (permalink)

I collect trading card and something read NSU magazine, but never read nothing about the "Industry Summit". Now about the Comic Con, I can read even the "insular" local newspaper at least 1 yearly mention of it.

Sorry, but the whatever "Industry Summit" event needs to be more open wide. More promotion and not just feuds and fightings. Good luck in the event.
My Trading Card Blog http://elperelestradingcards.blogspot.com/
My Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/elpereles/
Kane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
1) by posting here, is this a passive aggressive way of trying to be classy yet calling the promoter out?

No, if we are not invited to attend, it is important to me that the hobby know that we have not voluntarily withdrawn our support.

2) did you do anything at last year's summit or since then on twitter or message boards where you threatened to turn the hobby upside down and challenge the big boy companies ?

Absolutely not, I was not in attendance last year due to a last minute illness and all we did is promote our products and do a redemption and a giveaway at our booth.

3) what's you opinion about the CEO of leaf and the avenue he has taken as far as challenging licensing? Do you see why maybe some of the big boys don't want him at the summit if he's going to run his mouth?

This is the USA and Brian Gray is a passionate person. He voiced his opinions and whether I agree with them or not is not important. My company should be judged by what we do and our thirteen years in this business. To not even give us the courtesy of a reply is in my opinion, unprofessional.

4) do you see ITG and Leaf as a tandum in challenging the industry or do you separate yourself from the avenue leaf is taking?

Leaf does business their way and ITG does business our way. We do share a passion for the hobby, that's for sure.

Hope I answered your questions.

Brian Price

thanks for answering my questions----

One last Q

What's your opinion on exclusive contracts?
In the past Brian Gray mentioned how he and Razor would change the hobby with razor's exclusive contracts in baseball back in 2008-09. He then continued with exclusives in basketball with D L of the Blazers. (I believe in a previous BO post you even mentioned kudos to BG with the signing and how the big boys wont's be happy with the exclusive signing). BG then did state at last year's summit that he felt exclusives hurt the industry, that Leaf had 1 while other companies like Panini had more than Leaf and he wished all companies would do away with exclusive

I'm just curious to your opinion on exclusives. Based on your previous response to BG after he signed the one NBA guy (DL) I would assume you still like the idea of player exclusives?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
SCR

Something is certainly different this year. I too was banned from the Summit. After promoting the event for free since 2011.

The times I've been, Brian Gray was responsible for bringing in someone like Dennis Rodman or Frank Thomas in to sign something for free. Leaf, ITG and some of the 'smaller players' would have plenty to give away too. Topps gives you a shirt & takes you bowling, Upper Deck doesn't even do that.

Eliminating a few guys now means Panini is the only one handing out anything that will make a dent in the cost to attend. Thus winning the support of the few hundred in attendance.

Why is that important to Panini all of a sudden considering Leaf had a large presence when I was there?

A: Panini has been trying to sell their entire company for about a year now. It's also rumored that they want to sell before the World Cup. It's an attractive selling point to a private equity firm that you get all this free cash flow back and they don't need to come out with any more sets like Football, Basketball or Hockey ... at least until the next World Cup rolls around.

So Panini wants this thing all chummy and butt slapping. So does Madison Dearborn Partners, who wants to sell Topps, but they bought 1 year before the market crash ... so it's like owning a house you bought in 2007 - not much equity (if any) ++ they just borrowed/refinanced a hefty sum. Upper Deck is a complicated mess. You have back taxes, estate taxes & other things hanging over the head of that situation .... which if you do some snooping with Richie's wife's name - you can find out more about that.

So you've got 3 licensed 'manufactures' - all trying to sell their business.

Kevin bans ITG & Leaf. Two people who appear on the surface that they want to be in this hobby long term.

Shows you why this hobby has been on a steady decline. The people who actually care are shunned in favor of companies that are dying to sell out of the hobby!!
SCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Compare and contrast Mr Price's with that of Mr Gray....

Brian gray ‏@Ceobrian · 36m
I may not be at the Summit this year, but I can look inthe mirror and know that I am neither a pussy or a sell out! #cantbanthetruth

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #65 (permalink)

It's disappointing to say the least that this topic was moved to this forum category...but oh well.

Regardless, Dr. Price...keep up the good fight. There are a lot of people hoping you can snag an NHL license again. Stating the obvious, hockey cards shifted a lot when the NHL dropped your license and went with an exclusive to Upper Deck...then opening up another license to Panini.

Nothing says "hockey" like an Italian company with a base in Dallas.
discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #66 (permalink)

Doc Price can come to my first annual hobby summit at my pad. Pizza and root beer will be provided, as well as a place to sleep in my comfy chair.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #67 (permalink)
Manufacturer

I too don't understand why the Blowout moderators have chosen to "hide" this post in this forum category.

It put it in the Baseball category to expose the issue to as many collectors as possible.

Could the moderator who made this change please explain?

Brian Price
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #68 (permalink)

We all need to support those like Brian Price who work tirelessly to make the hobby a better place for collectors.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #69 (permalink)

Keep making a superior product and let the fans vote with our wallets!

Maybe even play on the shunning with a product called 2014 Black-Listed Hockey. Cards they won't let you have.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
I too don't understand why the Blowout moderators have chosen to "hide" this post in this forum category.

It put it in the Baseball category to expose the issue to as many collectors as possible.

Could the moderator who made this change please explain?

Brian Price

Does ITG do baseball?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Does ITG do baseball?
ITG has done baseball products and has included baseball players in multiple products.

That said, the Industry Summit spans the industry...an industry that is dominated by baseball...so placement in /Baseball is appropriate.

When Ebay shill topics get posted almost daily in /Baseball...somehow they never appear to get moved to this category yet it's clearly where they belong.

It's purposeful. And the purpose is to take some steam out of it. It's Blowout's forum and they can run it as they wish...it's just a shame that it's so overt.
discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
ITG has done baseball products and has included baseball players in multiple products.

That said, the Industry Summit spans the industry...an industry that is dominated by baseball...so placement in /Baseball is appropriate.

When Ebay shill topics get posted almost daily in /Baseball...somehow they never appear to get moved to this category yet it's clearly where they belong.

It's purposeful. And the purpose is to take some steam out of it. It's Blowout's forum and they can run it as they wish...it's just a shame that it's so overt.

Yeah, I wasn't questioning whether they deserve to be at summit.
I was wondering if they do baseball. I have many of their hockey but want sure if maybe they do baseball cards in Canada.

My reply was trying to possibly explain why it was moved out of baseball forum.

I even posted in earlier post that moving thread would kill views.

To be honest, I don't think I ever saw this section of the board. I go to the off topic section but nothing else this low on home page.

If ITG and Leaf are so important then why would BO try to silence them but burying a thread? Maybe those companies aren't important? Maybe BO isn't trying to silence them? I have no idea. I need to pay attention to this USA Russia game. USA just scored and took lead

Last edited by preakness; 02-15-2014 at 09:33 AM.
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #73 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Dr. Price -

This is disappointing. I will be attending the summit along with another employee of my store and would be very disappointed if the summit excludes any legitimate hobby entity, especially one that has been around for 15 years.

Wayne
Is your store in Roseville?
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #74 (permalink)

Yesterday Blowout's Twitter posted a Tweet in support of ITG linking to this thread when it was still in the baseball forum. Obviously they didn't mind it being in the baseball thread so people could see it. The rogue mod who moved it should consider moving it back.
cross4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR View Post
Something is certainly different this year. I too was banned from the Summit. After promoting the event for free since 2011.

The times I've been, Brian Gray was responsible for bringing in someone like Dennis Rodman or Frank Thomas in to sign something for free. Leaf, ITG and some of the 'smaller players' would have plenty to give away too. Topps gives you a shirt & takes you bowling, Upper Deck doesn't even do that.

Eliminating a few guys now means Panini is the only one handing out anything that will make a dent in the cost to attend. Thus winning the support of the few hundred in attendance.

Why is that important to Panini all of a sudden considering Leaf had a large presence when I was there?

A: Panini has been trying to sell their entire company for about a year now. It's also rumored that they want to sell before the World Cup. It's an attractive selling point to a private equity firm that you get all this free cash flow back and they don't need to come out with any more sets like Football, Basketball or Hockey ... at least until the next World Cup rolls around.

So Panini wants this thing all chummy and butt slapping. So does Madison Dearborn Partners, who wants to sell Topps, but they bought 1 year before the market crash ... so it's like owning a house you bought in 2007 - not much equity (if any) ++ they just borrowed/refinanced a hefty sum. Upper Deck is a complicated mess. You have back taxes, estate taxes & other things hanging over the head of that situation .... which if you do some snooping with Richie's wife's name - you can find out more about that.

So you've got 3 licensed 'manufactures' - all trying to sell their business.

Kevin bans ITG & Leaf. Two people who appear on the surface that they want to be in this hobby long term.

Shows you why this hobby has been on a steady decline. The people who actually care are shunned in favor of companies that are dying to sell out of the hobby!!
I just wanted to comment on a few things in this post.

Topps is the only one of the big 3 manufacturers that stands up in front of the shop owners and answers questions. They get grilled more than any other company at the Summit but they still offer that opportunity to shops every year. Panini and UD give a long presentation and then barely save any time for questions. They present their new products, try to sell you on a double RC class, and distract you with their giveaways to avoid questions.

Topps also gives away a ridiculous amount of wax to help offset costs. So they do more than just give you a shirt and let you bowl 3 games. They have also rented out a suite and did a cocktail party for their anniversary a couple of years ago. By far the Topps events are the most fun.

Upper Deck also gives out their own Black Boxes. Definitely aren't as good as Panini, but they are still nice bonuses to help offset costs. They also had a deal with Frank Thomas last year for a signing and you received a photo op as a bonus. Leafs autograph guests have been great (rodman, Carmen electra, Thomas), but you sometimes feel pushed through the line. The guests are fun, but they don't really help offset costs. Most look at it as a cool experience/perk for attending. As far as Leaf's presentations, Brian Gray is very upfront and honest: some love it, some hate it. I personally enjoy his presentations.

So all of the manufacturers bring something to the Summit. I'd love to see them all there. But for some reason it was limited this year.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote