Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #76 (permalink)

1:42 with 100 points. Not sure I could ever get sub-1:40.
Matt238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #77 (permalink)

What exactly is the point of the COMC Challenge?

Seems like a major waste of time
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post

As the current #1 on the leaderboard, I sometimes wonder if it is a waste. I assume it helps COMC's database. At least it keeps me preoccupied whilst watching Olympic auction and being on college break.

Maybe someone at COMC can give us a brief description of what the challenge does. I know they describe it briefly under the challenge description, but it'd be nice to have a more detailed explanation. Hopefully all of the carpel-tunnel latent hours spent typing initials isn't wasted!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
As the current #1 on the leaderboard, I sometimes wonder if it is a waste. I assume it helps COMC's database. At least it keeps me preoccupied whilst watching Olympic auction and being on college break.

Maybe someone at COMC can give us a brief description of what the challenge does. I know they describe it briefly under the challenge description, but it'd be nice to have a more detailed explanation. Hopefully all of the carpel-tunnel latent hours spent typing initials isn't wasted!
I'm going to assume that it has to do with cataloging all the cards to match their price guide system (as explained on their site).

20000 points takes roughly 8+ hours to acheive. So instead of paying people for data entry in their offices, they reach out to the sellers to work for free in exchange for a badge that says you are a contributor. Every seller who reaches 20k saves them probably 80-100 bucks (IDK what it would cost to employ temp workers for data entry) or save them from wasting precious man hours themselves.

Very clever on their part.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #80 (permalink)

COMC already has the names on the cards in their database.

What is the point of typing the first 2 letters of the first name, and first 2 letters of the last name?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
COMC already has the names on the cards in their database.

What is the point of typing the first 2 letters of the first name, and first 2 letters of the last name?
Good question. If you haven't had the chance yet, check out our announcement from earlier this year.

Beckett provided us with their catalog and pricing data. Included in their data is their database of players. By participating in the Challenges, you're helping us sort cards so we can most efficiently populate necessary data for listings on the site.

We're extremely grateful for all the help we've received from the card community and are working hard to further improve Challenges. On that note, I haven't even had the chance to break 20k yet.
Ghumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #82 (permalink)

I've seen the announcement.

Seems crazy to sort cards one at a time.

A simple line of code, a speadsheet, or database program should be able to do the task quick and easily.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
I've seen the announcement.

Seems crazy to sort cards one at a time.

A simple line of code, a speadsheet, or database program should be able to do the task quick and easily.
Might seem crazy, but it is necessary.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #84 (permalink)

Just wanted to let you guys know we just pushed a site update that improves the speed of images in Challenges. I think you guys will all beat your best times for sure.

Edit: Just hit my best at 1:48. Protip: You can now use hotkeys for the multiple choice...so type 1, 2, and 3 for the corresponding answers.

Last edited by Ghumbs; 02-20-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #85 (permalink)

Are there any sports that need more help than others? I hit 20,000 mostly through baseball. Is there any incentives other than the 5K prizes to keep going past 20k? I never win giveaways so I'm not too high on putting in 2 hours of work for an extra 1 in a thousand chance at winning that giftcard. I'd put in more time if there was more of a guaranteed incentive like every 5,000 after 20,000K equaled a couple bucks in COMC credit.
cross4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross4444 View Post
Are there any sports that need more help than others? I hit 20,000 mostly through baseball. Is there any incentives other than the 5K prizes to keep going past 20k? I never win giveaways so I'm not too high on putting in 2 hours of work for an extra 1 in a thousand chance at winning that giftcard. I'd put in more time if there was more of a guaranteed incentive like every 5,000 after 20,000K equaled a couple bucks in COMC credit.
Quite curious to answer as well! Hope I haven't done 19,175 points over 20,000 unnecessarily!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #87 (permalink)

1:30 flat with 100 points now. Hotkeys are a big help. Could've maybe shaved 1-2 seconds off. But not sure I could do much better than this. Be impressed if anyone can do 1:25.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross4444 View Post
Are there any sports that need more help than others?
The Challenge with the greatest need is bumped to the top of the Challenge page. Currently Football needs the most help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt238 View Post
1:30 flat with 100 points now. Hotkeys are a big help. Could've maybe shaved 1-2 seconds off. But not sure I could do much better than this. Be impressed if anyone can do 1:25.
Unbelievable . I lowered my best to 1:43 and 13 more seconds is crazy.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:54 AM   #89 (permalink)

A few updates to the Challenges. You can now see the best time for each Challenge, the Leaderboard displays the top 50, and you can click on players on the Leaderboard to view their ports.

Matt238's mentioned his baseball time in this thread. It's true, and it's (currently) the best.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
A few updates to the Challenges. You can now see the best time for each Challenge, the Leaderboard displays the top 50, and you can click on players on the Leaderboard to view their ports.

Matt238's mentioned his baseball time in this thread. It's true, and it's (currently) the best.
Gotta say great job with the updates

85K Cards !!! Selling all my stuff in COMC, ANY OFFERS WILL BE ACCEPTED!
Lots of High-end cards: Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc
coolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #91 (permalink)

Apparently, if you leave a sport in the middle of a challenge, the clock keeps running until you finish it.

So, I won't be able to beat any of you youngsters with your 100-second scores. I'm lucky to crack the 3-minute mark most of the time.

I did, however, manage to score 6 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes, 53.07 seconds on the baseball challenge.

Time to Complete:
6:7:24:53.07

Beat that, you speed demons.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #92 (permalink)

I cannot believe people are actually spending hours and hours doing this.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium1981 View Post
Well I do it for a few reasons.

I'm competitive and it's just fun to try to beat my own times!

It's way way way better than the prior History Points system. That was a god awful timesuck that was truly pointless. With this system you can get to 20k points and have enough history points to view sales data for months or even years (?) without having to worry about it again. Also there is some "equity" in that they're doing a drawing for free store credit. Specific details are sparse but there is some value in that. Though I don't see myself going over the 20k mark without some added incentive beyond a small sweepstakes entry. Would probably need some store credit for x points to really want to put in time. But maaaaybe if someone beats some of my times I'll get competitive with some downtime and try to beat them.

Also, COMC says it's helping to catalog data so they can get away from the book value system. Fine. As part of the hobby, I think this is a net positive so I'm happy to help contribute to that in some small way. Book value system is completely flawed and irrelevant. Never known anyone to really disagree with that. When one card can be a bargain at 200% of book value and another card can sit and collect dust for 10% of book value, you obviously have a system that doesn't track true value very well. COMC is looking to use their data for good and improve on that. I want to help.

Lastly, I'm hoping that earning the 20k recognition badge will be used in some way on the site to highlight my port and garner some extra views and lead to extra sales. This may or may not be true as again, it's fairly unclear exactly what they have planned. But for a quick 20 minutes a day here and there for a few weeks or a month, I'll take the risk.

I've wasted far more time on far more worthless things!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt238 View Post
Well I do it for a few reasons.

I'm competitive and it's just fun to try to beat my own times!

It's way way way better than the prior History Points system. That was a god awful timesuck that was truly pointless. With this system you can get to 20k points and have enough history points to view sales data for months or even years (?) without having to worry about it again. Also there is some "equity" in that they're doing a drawing for free store credit. Specific details are sparse but there is some value in that. Though I don't see myself going over the 20k mark without some added incentive beyond a small sweepstakes entry. Would probably need some store credit for x points to really want to put in time. But maaaaybe if someone beats some of my times I'll get competitive with some downtime and try to beat them.

Also, COMC says it's helping to catalog data so they can get away from the book value system. Fine. As part of the hobby, I think this is a net positive so I'm happy to help contribute to that in some small way. Book value system is completely flawed and irrelevant. Never known anyone to really disagree with that. When one card can be a bargain at 200% of book value and another card can sit and collect dust for 10% of book value, you obviously have a system that doesn't track true value very well. COMC is looking to use their data for good and improve on that. I want to help.

Lastly, I'm hoping that earning the 20k recognition badge will be used in some way on the site to highlight my port and garner some extra views and lead to extra sales. This may or may not be true as again, it's fairly unclear exactly what they have planned. But for a quick 20 minutes a day here and there for a few weeks or a month, I'll take the risk.

I've wasted far more time on far more worthless things!
Well said all around.
mschub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #95 (permalink)

perhaps making the 20k badge a little more exclusive than the first 500. i like to competition as well, just hit 1:27.
romayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #96 (permalink)

The work needs to be done, and the people who are doing it are helping to make the world of the future a better place.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #97 (permalink)

I'm hoping that earning the 20k recognition badge will be used in some way on the site to highlight my port and garner some extra views and lead to extra sales. This may or may not be true as again, it's fairly unclear exactly what they have planned. But for a quick 20 minutes a day here and there for a few weeks or a month, I'll take the risk.

I wrote some reviews and guides for eBay about 8 years ago. At the time, I got a "Top 100 Reviewer" or even a "Top 25 Reviewer" badge next to my eBay name.

To this day, when you search the internet for certain subjects, my guide comes up as #1 on the list. I still get several emails per month from people who are reading those guides, even though a lot of the information in them hasn't been current for years.

I think something similar will happen for COMC sellers who have a badge next to their name. They'll have credibility. If that seller has a card marked 5% or 10% higher than a seller with no badge, they'll probably stand a good chance of selling that card.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
[I]I think something similar will happen for COMC sellers who have a badge next to their name. They'll have credibility. If that seller has a card marked 5% or 10% higher than a seller with no badge, they'll probably stand a good chance of selling that card.
In that case, Badges should then be given out to sellers who sell a certain
dollar value per year, and buyers who spend a certain amount per year. They are the truly credible ones. Not people who play games to try to win something.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #99 (permalink)

The work needs to be done. COMC needs a comprehensive card database which they own the rights to. It doesn't matter how much you sell on COMC if COMC ceases to exist.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkoutmydeals View Post
The work needs to be done. COMC needs a comprehensive card database which they own the rights to. It doesn't matter how much you sell on COMC if COMC ceases to exist.
Not what I was saying at all.

A person should not be perceived credible because they got a badge for doing free data entry. That is what this is. Someone selling or buying on the site deserves a badge before them.

Instead of badges, they should have given free submissions. Every thousand points is 20 free card submissions or something along those lines....

and for the record, I am a comc cheerleader one hundred percent.
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote