Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
zdf123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,632
Default Can somebody help me?

I was thinking about setting up at a couple shows near by, except I don't know where to start, like in what category to spend the most money on (high end, low end, autos, commons) and was wondering if you guys could help me out on what to buy. Before I do this, I also want to know, is it worth it? Like is there money to be made?

*mods, i have the same thread in the baseball section, can you please delete that, i decided to make it here instead as people in the football section tend to be a bit more helpful.
__________________
http://s736.photobucket.com/home/zdf123/index
zdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 3,075
Default

are you setting up,buying or both?
__________________
Junior at DePaul University!
chansen10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
zdf123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansen10 View Post
are you setting up,buying or both?
what do you mean? i plan to load up on inventory so i can set up at a couple shows, but i want to know what i should buy for the shows.
__________________
http://s736.photobucket.com/home/zdf123/index
zdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
hog
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,890
Default

Well, I had a bunch of diffrent things at the shows that I set up at. I didn't have that many high end cards but I had a wide varity of cards.

There was one show that I set up at, and I made $500. When the show was about to end and we packed everything up we went over to somebody else's table to look and we bought about $30-$50 worth of cards. Now, they made a comment to us saying that was the only sale that they made that day, and here's why.

1. He didn't have a wide varity of cards.
. Most of his cards were high end.

2. He wouldn't come down on the prices of his cards.

Now, you don't have to have a wide varity of cards but I reccomend that you do, meaning the following.

1. Low end cards.
. There's going to be kids that come to your table that don't have alot of money.

2. Mid end cards.
. There's going to be some people that want to get some nice cards but they might not have that much money to spend.

3. High end cards.
. There's going to be a few people that are looking to buy high end cards but for the right price.

Now some advice when people walk up to your table.

1. When somebody walks up to your table eknowledge them.

2. Tell them that, if you see something that your interested in I can make a good deal.
. Have the lowest price in mind on the card that they're interested in, but don't say that price first. If they ask you if you can do better on the price go a litte bit lower, and go from there.

3. Be respectful to not only the people that are going to the show looking to buy, but be respectful to the dealers that are set up at the show.



Have a good one.
hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
zdf123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog View Post
Well, I had a bunch of diffrent things at the shows that I set up at. I didn't have that many high end cards but I had a wide varity of cards.

There was one show that I set up at, and I made $500. When the show was about to end and we packed everything up we went over to somebody else's table to look and we bought about $30-$50 worth of cards. Now, they made a comment to us saying that was the only sale that they made that day, and here's why.

1. He didn't have a wide varity of cards.
. Most of his cards were high end.

2. He wouldn't come down on the prices of his cards.

Now, you don't have to have a wide varity of cards but I reccomend that you do, meaning the following.

1. Low end cards.
. There's going to be kids that come to your table that don't have alot of money.

2. Mid end cards.
. There's going to be some people that want to get some nice cards but they might not have that much money to spend.

3. High end cards.
. There's going to be a few people that are looking to buy high end cards but for the right price.

Now some advice when people walk up to your table.

1. When somebody walks up to your table eknowledge them.

2. Tell them that, if you see something that your interested in I can make a good deal.
. Have the lowest price in mind on the card that they're interested in, but don't say that price first. If they ask you if you can do better on the price go a litte bit lower, and go from there.

3. Be respectful to not only the people that are going to the show looking to buy, but be respectful to the dealers that are set up at the show.



Have a good one.
thanks. what percentage of low end, mid end, high end do you think i should have? I know that I plan on buying a lot of local teams and do you think it's worth buying base of local players?
__________________
http://s736.photobucket.com/home/zdf123/index
zdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
hog
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,890
Default Setting up at a card show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdf123 View Post
thanks. what percentage of low end, mid end, high end do you think i should have? I know that I plan on buying a lot of local teams and do you think it's worth buying base of local players?
It's kind of hard to say. If I had to give a percentage of how much low end, mid end, and high end cards you have when you set up at a card show, I would have to say 25% low end, 50% mind end, and 25% high end.

Also, I think it would be a good idea if you take a bunch of base of not only the local teams but every other team in other sports.

Now, I don't know if racing is a big thing in your area but I think it would be good if you had some racing cards.
hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: illinois
Posts: 3,075
Default

yeah base is normally a big hit. Also have a dollar box with gu and autos. i would say 40% low 50% mid and 10% high thats just what seems to work best for me
__________________
Junior at DePaul University!
chansen10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Teambo1634's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,413
Default

Just have to say, great posting HOG. I'm proud of you on this one. Just for the future. acknowledge not eck.

Keep up the good work.
__________________
11,22,2010 We lost a great one, RIP PAPAJIM
Collect Bo Jackson
Teambo1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
zdf123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,632
Default

thanks guys. hopefully i'll be successful at these shows.
__________________
http://s736.photobucket.com/home/zdf123/index
zdf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,422
Default

I set up at a larger, regional show in central Ohio about once every 3 to 6 months. I have found that having HOFer autos, priced anywhere between $20-$70 are my best sellers, by far. There are always kids, as mentioned above, that will love jersey cards of top players for $10 or less. They do a door raffle a few times a day and I got 2 of them to come by my table and pick up something with the prize card they won. Each time, it was a younger collector, who added a game used jersey of Peyton Manning and the other was actually another Manning patch that I had.

Actually, it won't matter what you have in the case if you're not PERSONABLE WITH CUSTOMERS. I watch these guys sit behind their tables, some not even facing the aisle where potential dollars are walking by their set-up and wonder why they even bothered to show up. There are 2 guys who, every time I have been there, are on their stupid laptop computer and probably wouldn't even notice if you just grabbed their freakin' display case and carried it off. You know how to make sales? Talk to people, provide some information about the card(s) they are interested, hey, maybe even ask if there's a particular card or player they're looking for! What a novel idea!

I've been in customer service related fields all my life. At this point, making a sale comes naturally. I won't even let them walk away without putting the card(s) they are considering into their hands and letting them inspect them for themselves. It's a lot harder to say 'no' to a dealer who helps you rather than won't even come over and hand you a card from the case to check out, especially when they might make you feel like you're impeding on their time sitting in a chair, staring at their computer while you wander on by...

Feel free to PM me if you want specific answers to any questions.

Good luck!

Brian
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In a warehouse of common sense
Posts: 2,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdf123 View Post
...i decided to make it here instead as people in the football section tend to be a bit more helpful.

Heh. I just re-read this and caught this. The guys with the computer are mainly baseball. My inventory is about 95% football, with some random other stuff.

Your keen insight will serve you well...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
notravels10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 822
Default

I would love to send all my GU.autos and anything else to some one to sell.I would go 50/50 or even 60/40 for that fact.so much i wanna get rid of
notravels10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
achilles01987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notravels10 View Post
I would love to send all my GU.autos and anything else to some one to sell.I would go 50/50 or even 60/40 for that fact.so much i wanna get rid of
Why not send your stuff to Check Out My Cards?
__________________
COLLECTING HIGH END CHRISTIAN PONDER
photobucket.com/albums/ss359/achilles01987
achilles01987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 4,393
Default

Sorry to bump this, but I would like some advice as well. I'm thinking about getting a table at a show next month and I've never dealt at a show before.

How important is it to have sealed wax or packs available at a table?

What types of things can I do to attract people to my table (games, midgets, etc)?

How much inventory should I have? I have tons of base, inserts, numbered parallels, and low $ GU's, but I most of my mid or high-end stuff I sell on ebay or keep it in my PC. If I have two 5,000 count boxes filled with base and inserts (sorted by sport, then team, then player), 50 or so low $ GU's and autos, and maybe 25 cards that could be considered mid to high-end, will that be enough to sustain a table for a day? If the majority of my sales are from kids picking through the quarter box, is it even worth the $65 it's going to cost for the table and the $20 or so I'd have to spend on gas to get there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
__________________
CJK5H
kajshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,200
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

Personally I think those little quarter/base boxes are the way to go. I've yet to go that route (I have my table pretty much set up for the sport and/or player collector - if you do a search in the online shows sub forum for threads by me you'll find pics). But wax can sell well, but newer stuff will outsell the old stuff and pricing is key. If its hot, be fair and it should sell, if your to high, guys will go to someone else who may have it and buy it. I think low and mid sell way better than high, but you never know, a few high end sales and it could be a great day.
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 4,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Personally I think those little quarter/base boxes are the way to go. I've yet to go that route (I have my table pretty much set up for the sport and/or player collector - if you do a search in the online shows sub forum for threads by me you'll find pics). But wax can sell well, but newer stuff will outsell the old stuff and pricing is key. If its hot, be fair and it should sell, if your to high, guys will go to someone else who may have it and buy it. I think low and mid sell way better than high, but you never know, a few high end sales and it could be a great day.
Thank you.

Where would I obtain wax to sell at the show? I know I could order from Blowout and mark the boxes up, but the profit margins will be really small if another dealer at the show is direct with Topps, Panini, etc. If I order a case of Topps jumbo football from Blowout at $525 but another dealer is getting it directly from Topps and selling it at prices similar to Blowout, how can I make a profit?
__________________
CJK5H
kajshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,200
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

This is why I havent dealt with wax yet (except on consignment). However if I can get some funds together I'm going to try. If you havent done the show yet, have you checked it out to know what dealers are bringing? I'd recommend doing one show first to get an idea if you havent. For me, i'm probably starting with wax that if I can't sell it, I'll open it. If I sell it, great....if I dont, I get to open it That being said, I've also opened a case of cards at a show. It kept guys stopping back asking if I had pulled anything special, but also player collectors. Set builders may also stop buy as that menas you've got fresh singles that they may need. One key thing to consider here. If your selling the same wax as your busting..if you do this say 2 or 3 shows in a row and hit the big hit...guys may start avoiding you...so its very much a catch 22.

Oh and HOG..you get a BIG attaboy for your earlier posts!
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
cardinalscards4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post

What types of things can I do to attract people to my table (games, midgets, etc)?
I have yet to set up at a show. But midgets is a great idea. I would definately go to that table
__________________
Donate this Easter
cardinalscards4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 4,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalscards4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post

What types of things can I do to attract people to my table (games, midgets, etc)?
I have yet to set up at a show. But midgets is a great idea. I would definately go to that table
I was thinking of dancing midgets, but wrestling midgets also intrigues me.
__________________
CJK5H
kajshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
enjoyale81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,517
Default

I'll bump this as well. I'm setting up at a show for the first time next month , and have enjoyed reading all of the suggestions from folks. I've got a box of base (10 for $1) and inserts (5 for $1) ready to go, hundreds of $2-$3 cards, local teams and players, prospect sets (2010 Bowman and Tristar), and some higher end (including vintage Mantle/Aaron/Mays) cards ready to go.

One thought I had- does anybody ever sell bottles of water or snacks at your shows? If so, did it require a vendor's license from the city? This is going to be in a gym, so no vending or food court. And, it's summer, so I figured that people will be thirsty.
__________________
Collecting Jockey autos and Louisville players auto/gu in Cardinals uniforms!

For the time being I can only commit to getting to the post office on Saturdays, so it may take me longer to ship.
enjoyale81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.