Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC, digging it.

One thing I didn't realize about COMC is that when you buy cards they aren't automatically shipped to you, instead they go to your inventory and you can either hold a card there (for only $0.01/month) and sell it later, or wait till you have a lot of cards ready to ship home to you so you can save with bulk shipping. This totally changes the complexity of the whole thing. Makes it very cool in my mind.

That, plus it's cheaper fees than Ebay. Man, this COMC rocks.

And I already found a few oddball cards I needed for sets I'm trying to complete. Way cool!
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

if you list a card for .25 cents of less there is no storage fee and if you buy a card (not to flip) and leave it as not for sale there is no fee either. great way to hold and build up to get them shipped using the bulk shipping option at the end of each month. I know they are long reads but there are a couple of great threads on COMC including one that was locked. I don't think there is anything about COMC that has not been discussed in detail yet. (I've been using them since April of 08 and nearly everything I have has been sent in minus commons and cards that have a ton on the site already)
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, that's good info about not being charged for purchased cards not for sale, and the below .25 no fee thing. That makes COMC even better. I'll check out some other posts like you say. I was just excited about COMC and wanted to shout out about it.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe you get charged the storage fee for cards 'Not for Sale' if they aren't flagged to ship. I could be wrong, but when you buy I would make sure you flag them to ship just so you don't take the chance of paying fees on cards you're eventually going to have shipped to you. Nothing gets shipped until you tell them to, flagging them to ship just keeps all the cards in a special section so that when you are ready to ship its not a time consuming process.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Done. Thanks ohiomike. I'm going to look for those COMC forum threads tonight after work and read up on all the COMC details.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is it just me, or does COMC not get a lot of traffic...?
boombaby1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

So far it's doing good for me. Already sold several items in the $3-7 range that I'm certain wouldn't sell at all on Ebay or would go for $0.99. And I've picked up some more TT /399 base that I'm trying to get to complete the set.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
Is it just me, or does COMC not get a lot of traffic...?
I don't know if its 'just you' or not, but I would say they get plenty of traffic. I haven't had new cards added in 2 months and I've still averaged about $500 in sales for May and June. In months I add new cards, my sales can be $700-$1000... sometimes even more just depending on how much I've sent in. And I wouldn't consider myself to even be one of the top 25 sellers either... maybe top 50-100.

I think it all just has to do with the quality of stuff you send in and your prices. Much like at a show, if you've got cards people want on COMC and you've got them priced right, they will sell.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jradford

I sent in 50 cards to get started, and sold 3 in the first week. Nothing since then, but I have another 125 cards set to go live next week. Normally they would just be sitting in my boxes hoping I can do a trade with someone.

I have bought about 50 cards from COMC so far.
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Ive sold a few cards in the past 2 weeks and thats it, I just sent in some of my lower end autos that id like to get rid of for cheap
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

i am accepting 50% offers on ALL cards..............
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default need to sell

contacted COMC about auctioning off my port and they said i was about 8-9 in line which means at least a month or so--they are still hammering out details--sooo--if i have anything anyone is interested in plz message me on this site and let me know what u are interested in and how much u will pay--i can then lower prices where u can buy them at your price--thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jradford

Another 126 cards priced and ready to go!!
jradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I put on about 1000 cards, mostly stuff under a few bucks each, and Ive sold about $60 my first week... I will say that heavily represented cards take longer to sell, as does "regular base cards" even of the bigger name players... (213 89'donruss griffey RCs, 170 'Topps barry bonds RCd from 87') Its the lower numbered cards that move
damonwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Igoing to start putting stuff onthe bottom of everything I do on ebay to pull people over to COMC
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

how much were you looking to get for your port?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonwatson View Post
I put on about 1000 cards, mostly stuff under a few bucks each, and Ive sold about $60 my first week... I will say that heavily represented cards take longer to sell, as does "regular base cards" even of the bigger name players... (213 89'donruss griffey RCs, 170 'Topps barry bonds RCd from 87') Its the lower numbered cards that move
I often wonder if cards like that where there is a huge pile of them on the site ever sell. And I can't for the life of me figure out what the guy with like the 194th lowest price on a 89'donruss griffey is doing. Does he really think that is going to sell, or he is just going to paying 1 cent a month forever?
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalken View Post
I often wonder if cards like that where there is a huge pile of them on the site ever sell. And I can't for the life of me figure out what the guy with like the 194th lowest price on a 89'donruss griffey is doing. Does he really think that is going to sell, or he is just going to paying 1 cent a month forever?
Well, what is better, paying $0.01/month to have a card sit on COMC with a chance for a sale? Or $0 to have it sit on your shelf without any chance of a sale? For a seller, it's probably better to have it sit on COMC, I would think.

You never know when that one dude comes along who just has to have every Ken Griffey card they can find, and they'll buy up all of them, or make a nice offer. It does happen. I've bought huge lots before. Now if the card is absolute nothing, then it's silly sure, but Griffey, man that huge lot will sell one of these days, I would think.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Is COMC a good way to get rid of $1-$2.00 inserts and parallels? I'd love to send in a ton of inserts/high numbered parallels and star base. If anyone can tell me the success they had selling these, it would be helpful. I eventually want to sell all my common inserts/base on COMC and my hits and rare cards on ebay to save fees.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

If you mean $1-$2 Book Value Inserts I would say no off the bat. If these book for a little more (realsitic sales at $1-$2 each) and are not base Topps or base Fleer junk then it might make some sense. The best gauge for success is looking at how many copies of each card already exist on the COMC site and what the current discount is for that card. Once upon a time on COMC you could blowout almost anything for 90% off book, but not anymore as the site has accumulated many more slow moving cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Is COMC a good way to get rid of $1-$2.00 inserts and parallels? I'd love to send in a ton of inserts/high numbered parallels and star base. If anyone can tell me the success they had selling these, it would be helpful. I eventually want to sell all my common inserts/base on COMC and my hits and rare cards on ebay to save fees.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Stuff like that sells, but the majority of time you have to price it at $0.25 to sell (with some exceptions). The problem with low valued cards like that is even if they sell for $0.25 how much are you really making? Your up-front cost will likely be between $0.17-$0.20 per card to have listed once you figure in the batch fee and postage to ship the cards to them. So even if you use the sales to purchase other cards on the site, you are still only getting $0.05-$0.08 per card for stars and inserts. And if you take cash from the sales, you are losing another 5 cents per $0.25 card sold. So then you'd either be breaking even or making $0.03 per card for inserts and stars. And its not like they will just fly from your account either... they will take time to sell.

So basically, yes, stuff like that will sell, but if you even found someone to give you 10 cents each for them locally, you'd be better off.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Book value isn't a very good indicator of much of anything. I would just look at the current low price on COMC and send in anything not already selling for less than 50 cents. Beckett seems to do a terrible job of adjusting for supply, so a rarer insert of a semistar with BV $2 is generally worth much more than a base set card of a superstar. I think Beckett doesn't want to admit when supply has so totally dwarfed demand that a card isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
mrwalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Stuff like that sells, but the majority of time you have to price it at $0.25 to sell (with some exceptions). The problem with low valued cards like that is even if they sell for $0.25 how much are you really making? Your up-front cost will likely be between $0.17-$0.20 per card to have listed once you figure in the batch fee and postage to ship the cards to them. So even if you use the sales to purchase other cards on the site, you are still only getting $0.05-$0.08 per card for stars and inserts. And if you take cash from the sales, you are losing another 5 cents per $0.25 card sold. So then you'd either be breaking even or making $0.03 per card for inserts and stars. And its not like they will just fly from your account either... they will take time to sell.

So basically, yes, stuff like that will sell, but if you even found someone to give you 10 cents each for them locally, you'd be better off.
Yeah, I'd love to sell locally, there just isn't a local market. There isn't even a yearly card show or flea market in the local area that has a market for sports cards. So in other words, the best bet for my inserts/parallels would be player lots on ebay. However, then the player lots of the good players will sell, and the semi-stars & commons will be left collecting dust.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote