Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Having success at a card show....

Hey everyone. I am slowly building up an inventory of basketball, football, and baseball cards for a show in hopes of setting up. I have been to plenty of shows over the years including the national but have yet to set up at one. Over the past few years I have actively been buying/selling on eBay, COMC, and here and would like to give this a try. Below is my current inventory of stuff that I would set up. I am asking for replies and comments on the "do's and dont's" when setting up at a card show. What sells good? What doesn't sell good? With my current inventory is it worth setting up? (Average table cost is $30-$40) If not how much more do I need to add? How should my prices look? (Currently have at eBay or 10% higher) Do people like to dig through nickel, dime, and quarter boxes? etc. All comments and criticism is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

$3.00 Jerseys/Autos:

Basketball Jerseys: 73
Basketball Autos: 47

Football Jerseys: 117
Football Autos: 97

Baseball Jerseys: 42
Baseball Autos: 94

$5.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball Jerseys/Autos: 40

$10.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball Jerseys/Autos: 24

$15.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball Jerseys/Autos: 10

$20.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball Jerseys/Autos: 12

$40.00-$300.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball Jerseys/Autos: 44

$15-$20.00 Basketball, Football, Baseball 1/1’s: 19

Total Cards: 619 (Not including quarter boxes)

Additional Questions:

1. Does prospect chrome and paper sell well? If so does it belong in $0.10 or $0.05?
2. What about numbered cards? $0.25, $0.10?
3. When looking through a large box of jerseys and autos do you expect every card to be toploaded?

Card Show 1: 11/29/14 Annandale Fire House Hall: Annandale, VA

Observations: Show was bad, very bad. First time Shoff promotions used this location. 60% comics, 40% cards. One wax dealer, fair prices ($70 2014 Topps Chrome Football). Many sellers had overpriced cards. Lots of things listed without any prices. Most dealers were not talkative (except one). Mixture of vintage and modern which was good however all was overpriced. The one dealer who was talkative gave me info on his shop which was around the corner and a $5 off coupon. Left the show with (2) $2 Autos, $10 supplies and very . 2 minute drive to the shop hoping it would get better, it only got worse. Collectors World located in Annandale, VA. Walked in store was nice looking. Large variety of vintage, modern, and comics. Tons of variety broken down by team. Lots of hometown team stuff+++++ (Nats, Skins, O's, Ravens, Zards, and Caps) Was really excited to look at the Nats and Skins stuff until I saw the prices. $450 for a Jordan Zimmermann Museum Patch Auto 1/1 $450!!!!! Next, $300 for an Alfred Morris BGS 9.5 Bowman Sterling Auto, $90!!!!! for a Billy Hamilton Paper Bowman Rookie BGS 9.5! I could go on.. I then headed to the back to check the wax prices. Very, very, very little amount of wax on display (Maybe they had more in the back, didn't care to ask after looking at the prices). $6.50 for a pack of 2014 Bowman Chrome Baseball! Do the math and that's $97.50 for the box!!! The sames boxes BO had on sale for $30 over the weekend, the same boxes that every wax dealer sells at between $50-$60! In conclusion the guy working there was very nice and talkative. Ugh if only I had a good LCS around me.......

Card Show 2: 12/20/14 Best Western (Chain Bridge RD): Fairfax, VA

Observations: Went to a card show today in Fairfax, VA at the Best Western on Chain Bridge Rd. Good show. Free admission and very friendly people. Good amount of modern and vintage, also one big wax dealer. By far the best set up was BO user: Brad9999. Had a small amount of wax (Draft, Dynasty, Upper Deck, etc), tons of high end 1/1's (Harper, Rendon, Puig, Trout, etc) and a large amount of BGS/PSA prospect autos! Overall this show was excellent compared to the first show that I attended.

Last edited by patsfan1106; 12-21-2014 at 05:31 PM.
patsfan1106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know I cant walk past a dollar box without stopping and taking a peek at it...when I used to set up at shows I would have a dollar box just to draw people to my table...because they swarm like flies to honey
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whenever I go, which isn't too often, I'm drawn to the sellers who show respect and are friendly. Obviously nice cards are attention-grabbers too. For those $3 autos and relics Id set up some sort of a system, like buy 6 for $15. Those get me sometimes.
34JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryw View Post
I know I cant walk past a dollar box without stopping and taking a peek at it...when I used to set up at shows I would have a dollar box just to draw people to my table...because they swarm like flies to honey
Thanks for the response...was considering a $1 box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34JacktheRipper View Post
Whenever I go, which isn't too often, I'm drawn to the sellers who show respect and are friendly. Obviously nice cards are attention-grabbers too. For those $3 autos and relics Id set up some sort of a system, like buy 6 for $15. Those get me sometimes.
Was already thinking about the deal with the autos and relics. I was thinking (2) for $5. Something like that.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

another thing I used to do was bring a few boxes of older early 90s stuff and every kid that visited the table with a parent that bought something id let the kid pick a pack from the box for free...it was cheap for me, the kids enjoyed it, and the parents never forgot it
Old 11-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

This may sound like common sense, but make sure you have enough change and small bills to start the show with. Also have some paper/plastic bags for people to put their purchases in.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bargain Boxes ($.10, $.25 and $1.00) always do well. I would suggest placing these boxes at the far end of your table with your showcase and/or better cards on the other end. Sometimes you will get so many people digging through your bargain boxes at once that it will be difficult for you to talk with prospective customers of higher dollar cards.

Lower end game used and autos are not fast movers unless they are $1 or less these days. Bigger names or in demand sets will attract more. There is no harm running 2/$5 on these to see what sells and what doesn't.

So much of selling at a show is taking chances on local teams, local players, hot players, etc to see if fill the customer demand and make a few dollars.

Know your bottom line on all of your cards (including prices for the full bargain boxes) because the sharks will likely swim around your table when they see you are new and have nice cards.

Have fun!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryw View Post
another thing I used to do was bring a few boxes of older early 90s stuff and every kid that visited the table with a parent that bought something id let the kid pick a pack from the box for free...it was cheap for me, the kids enjoyed it, and the parents never forgot it
Nice. I was thinking about doing some freebies for the kids that would come around (if any at all).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraste View Post
This may sound like common sense, but make sure you have enough change and small bills to start the show with. Also have some paper/plastic bags for people to put their purchases in.
That crossed my mind. Cant stand it when I have nothing to put my purchase in to carry around with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Bargain Boxes ($.10, $.25 and $1.00) always do well. I would suggest placing these boxes at the far end of your table with your showcase and/or better cards on the other end. Sometimes you will get so many people digging through your bargain boxes at once that it will be difficult for you to talk with prospective customers of higher dollar cards.

Lower end game used and autos are not fast movers unless they are $1 or less these days. Bigger names or in demand sets will attract more. There is no harm running 2/$5 on these to see what sells and what doesn't.

So much of selling at a show is taking chances on local teams, local players, hot players, etc to see if fill the customer demand and make a few dollars.

Know your bottom line on all of your cards (including prices for the full bargain boxes) because the sharks will likely swim around your table when they see you are new and have nice cards.

Have fun!
Thanks for the heads up on the bins and GU/Autos. I have a large amount of Nats stuff that I wouldnt mind picking through and placing out. haha will be looking out for those kind of people! Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

show I went to had relic/autos 4 for $10.

Phins Up
gorillaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz View Post
show I went to had relic/autos 4 for $10.
Thanks for the response. Was considering something like that.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

$3 jerseys 2/$5 2 bucks ea. after you buy $10 worth.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

All this low end stuff is wonderful and my pay for your booth but if you don't have big hitters you are gonna lose. Need some cards that can cover cost of setting up. If you don't you are just wasting your time and pissing money away.
Current Breaks I'm Filling - #2 - 2011 BDPP Hobby Case Break - Team Draft
New Project - 1983 Topps Baseball PSA 10 - 21/792 = 2.65% (#29 of 46 1983 PSA sets)
jewcer2k5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

If you don't have 25k worth of cards and are priced at eBay or below than don't waste the time. I set up at many east coast shows and the nationals and the funniest thing is to see someone bragging that they sold 400 dollars in cards and the best thing on there table is a unc Jordan auto and they set up all three days. Just my opinion although those are the guys I like to buy the whole table
justinstaff756 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here's my 2 cents:

I've been doing shows for a long time. Be it a one day Sunday show or the National, the greatest amount of sales for me has always been $.25, $1, $3 boxes.

The key to it is ORGANIZATION!

Not everyone has the time nor inclination sit & rummage through ten 4 row boxes looking for Detroit Tigers or SF 49ers cards. If you can break the cheap stuff down by team & people can go right where they want, you'd be surpised how much more likely they are to look longer & harder at your more expensive stuff.

The National this year was my greatest success using this organization "trick", and I saw a HUGE increase of add-on items. There were a lot of sales where someone had three $1 cards that they found quickly, but then spent another 15 minutes going through my $5 & $10 boxes and ended up spending $50+.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

To continue the "sharks in the water" mention...have an idea of the answer to "what would you take for everything?"

That is a common question during set-up, especially with firet-time sellers.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hot chick at your table to draw a crowd.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
All this low end stuff is wonderful and my pay for your booth but if you don't have big hitters you are gonna lose. Need some cards that can cover cost of setting up. If you don't you are just wasting your time and pissing money away.
Around me with the table cost being on $30-$40 I think I would be good with a little over 100 cards priced between $50-$300
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstaff756 View Post
If you don't have 25k worth of cards and are priced at eBay or below than don't waste the time. I set up at many east coast shows and the nationals and the funniest thing is to see someone bragging that they sold 400 dollars in cards and the best thing on there table is a unc Jordan auto and they set up all three days. Just my opinion although those are the guys I like to buy the whole table
Even at small shows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3469 View Post
Here's my 2 cents:

I've been doing shows for a long time. Be it a one day Sunday show or the National, the greatest amount of sales for me has always been $.25, $1, $3 boxes.

Not everyone has the time nor inclination sit & rummage through ten 4 row boxes looking for Detroit Tigers or SF 49ers cards. If you can break the cheap stuff down by team & people can go right where they want, you'd be surpised how much more likely they are to look longer & harder at your more expensive stuff.

The National this year was my greatest success using this organization "trick", and I saw a HUGE increase of add-on items. There were a lot of sales where someone had three $1 cards that they found quickly, but then spent another 15 minutes going through my $5 & $10 boxes and ended up spending $50+.
I agree with the whole organizing thing. That will be done at some point haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
To continue the "sharks in the water" mention...have an idea of the answer to "what would you take for everything?"

That is a common question during set-up, especially with firet-time sellers.
Great haha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Hot chick at your table to draw a crowd.
Guess I'll bring my girlfriend along with me.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

I set up at a small show in Florida...but it is Florida..so just about every show is a small show....that being said...I do great with my 5/$1 boxes...further quantity discounts...I load it up with base and inserts.....I sell my relic/junk autos at $2 each or 6/10....do OK with that...I go cheaper sometimes if I am bored....I do well with local stars (Tampa Rays) and not so well with Bucs cards....my showcase stuff is usually anything $20 and up

Good point about keeping your bargain box away from your showcases...that is something I realized I need to do a better job at.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've been to a few shows. Some alone, and some with my girlfriend (who is not a collector or sports fan by any means). Here are some tips I can offer you from personal experience:

1. Dress nice. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, but damn it look respectable. Clean polo or button up shirt, nice pair of jeans. It sends the right message from the get-go.

2. Have things laid out for the most part. Eye catchers, if you will. A box or two of cards is fine, but you need to display some cards to garner attention and have meaningful conversations with potential customers.

3. Have prices. I recommend having prices laid out, or a list in hand, but, if you are against that, nothing was worse than having a convo with a seller and having him pull out a Beckett. I'd have to wait for him to find a price, act like he's giving me a deal, and spit out a high price at me. You want to use Beckett, fine, but don't make it obvious. Do your research first and not waste a customers' time.

4. Be approachable. Don't be on your phone, don't be looking at your laptop, don't have headphones in, etc. You want to use the laptop to show a customer they're getting a good deal, fine! But don't be on it while customers are around.

Hope those help! good luck!
NobodysXHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3469 View Post
Here's my 2 cents:

EXCELLENT point.
NobodysXHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstaff756 View Post
Shark sighting Sorry everybody is not as big of a baller as you.

OP, do not let this reply get you down. You will never know how you can do if you do not try. $30-$40 is a miniscule investment to give it a try.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
XL5

With $2500 in asking price (not including the $40.00-$300.00 cards) look at this as a chance to learn and network. Don't be too concerned about sell through as you are about learning from other sellers and/or customers. Your tuition for this course is your table fee.

Oh, also get a secure case for you nicer cards. Theft is rampant at shows.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

success is a relative term also...If I am able to pull off some good trades or make some good contacts...then I don't focus as much on what I pull in....that being said...I wish you the best of luck...have fun, make friends and make a few bucks
Old 11-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodysXHero View Post
I've been to a few shows. Some alone, and some with my girlfriend (who is not a collector or sports fan by any means). Here are some tips I can offer you from personal experience:

1. Dress nice. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, but damn it look respectable. Clean polo or button up shirt, nice pair of jeans. It sends the right message from the get-go.

2. Have things laid out for the most part. Eye catchers, if you will. A box or two of cards is fine, but you need to display some cards to garner attention and have meaningful conversations with potential customers.

3. Have prices. I recommend having prices laid out, or a list in hand, but, if you are against that, nothing was worse than having a convo with a seller and having him pull out a Beckett. I'd have to wait for him to find a price, act like he's giving me a deal, and spit out a high price at me. You want to use Beckett, fine, but don't make it obvious. Do your research first and not waste a customers' time.

4. Be approachable. Don't be on your phone, don't be looking at your laptop, don't have headphones in, etc. You want to use the laptop to show a customer they're getting a good deal, fine! But don't be on it while customers are around.

Hope those help! good luck!
Thanks for the great tips! Certainly wont be looking like a slob haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Shark sighting Sorry everybody is not as big of a baller as you.

OP, do not let this reply get you down. You will never know how you can do if you do not try. $30-$40 is a miniscule investment to give it a try.
It doesnt. I think I will do fine personally. Just looking for responses from fellow card members. Thanks for the responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
With $2500 in asking price (not including the $40.00-$300.00 cards) look at this as a chance to learn and network. Don't be too concerned about sell through as you are about learning from other sellers and/or customers. Your tuition for this course is your table fee.

Oh, also get a secure case for you nicer cards. Theft is rampant at shows.
Will need a couple cases for sure. Know were I can get some decently priced ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDPAPER View Post
success is a relative term also...If I am able to pull off some good trades or make some good contacts...then I don't focus as much on what I pull in....that being said...I wish you the best of luck...have fun, make friends and make a few bucks
Will do! Thanks for the wise words!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have 3 cases...each I got real cheap from my LCS who no longer does shows....but the first place I would go is a flea market....you can get some great deals there...and if you see a dealer that has one you like...even if he is using it...offer to buy it