Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Amazing! Benshobbies turns a profit!

This is a milestone in my ebay account. For the past 2 years I have been selling cards at a loss, steeped in a gambling addiction with high-end group box breaks, and overdoing it on buying hobby boxes. So now I have been selling off most of my inventory, and have succeeded by the grace of God to have turned a $290.00 loss in May to a $52.00 profit! Here's for many more to come!
Hockey PC! Zdeno Chara, Tuukka Rask, Dougie Hamilton
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is awesome, congratulations.

I completely understand the addiction part of it, and I'm working on getting control of it without having to quit 100%, which I'm willing to do if it become more of a problem.

I have not figured out how to make money at it though. What haunts me is other case breakers who say: just buy more cases, then you'll score the big hits and the cost will even out and you'll start to make money. Either that is true, or I'll just lose more.

Good luck with future collecting and profits.

Alex
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazarevich View Post
That is awesome, congratulations.

I completely understand the addiction part of it, and I'm working on getting control of it without having to quit 100%, which I'm willing to do if it become more of a problem.

I have not figured out how to make money at it though. What haunts me is other case breakers who say: just buy more cases, then you'll score the big hits and the cost will even out and you'll start to make money. Either that is true, or I'll just lose more.

Good luck with future collecting and profits.

Alex
I found that the key is, you have to be willing to sell everything. I've been tempted before to get really lazy and store up the cards in the box I think were "worthless". I've found that base sell well in lots on ebay, and inserts can sell to for $1-3.00. I found that if you collect a certain team, it can sometime destroy the profits in a hobby box. Which can a good/bad thing depending on how you look at it.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

It seems like the only way to make money is to be like Brent. You need to get 20+ cases a day before the release date, and you can make a lot of money bake from the base and insert sets.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
It seems like the only way to make money is to be like Brent. You need to get 20+ cases a day before the release date, and you can make a lot of money bake from the base and insert sets.
Yeah, good point. This guy Brent, he's the dude that opens A&G right? For one, that's a baseball product, which is a more desired product than NBA and NFL, right? And I've read Brent say he's got buyers who are waiting for him to open stuff so he's built up a really good customer base, customers who are relying on him to open product fast, ship it fast, and they are willing to pay good money for it. That takes a lot of time and cost, to build up a customer base like that. Doesn't it? I mean, I'd quit my job tomorrow if I could make a living in cards, but unless one has a customer base, you'd need a large amount of capital to get that customer base before you started making a profit. Also, would basketball sell as well if one tried that strategy? I much prefer basketball and football to baseball.

Just thoughts...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, good point. This guy Brent, he's the dude that opens A&G right? For one, that's a baseball product, which is a more desired product than NBA and NFL, right? And I've read Brent say he's got buyers who are waiting for him to open stuff so he's built up a really good customer base, customers who are relying on him to open product fast, ship it fast, and they are willing to pay good money for it. That takes a lot of time and cost, to build up a customer base like that. Doesn't it? I mean, I'd quit my job tomorrow if I could make a living in cards, but unless one has a customer base, you'd need a large amount of capital to get that customer base before you started making a profit. Also, would basketball sell as well if one tried that strategy? I much prefer basketball and football to baseball.

Just thoughts...
Yep, he got the 25 cases with zippo Stras. I'm hoping that when I have money to put into 30-50 cases of something, to have a few days of breaking and listing everything right away the day before it officially comes out. There definitely is profit to be made in buying cases in bulk, it's just a matter of being able to have buyers that will be buying it from every case.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Just thoughts...
Thanks for the thoughtful words. What you said really spoke to my heart. What I have been doing is selling out of inventory to make a profit. I have been selling the small stuff that I didn't sell when I first sold the hits. What Brent & Becca do is they sell everything. Nothing is left behind. That is what I am learning and am kicking myself for not selling 2008 Allen & Ginter in 2008, and 2007 Topps in 2007. I thought some cards were worthless and that was a bad mistake on my part. Now I am playing catch up and selling cards out of inventory is basically pure profit.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshobbies View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful words. What you said really spoke to my heart. What I have been doing is selling out of inventory to make a profit. I have been selling the small stuff that I didn't sell when I first sold the hits. What Brent & Becca do is they sell everything. Nothing is left behind. That is what I am learning and am kicking myself for not selling 2008 Allen & Ginter in 2008, and 2007 Topps in 2007. I thought some cards were worthless and that was a bad mistake on my part. Now I am playing catch up and selling cards out of inventory is basically pure profit.
I remember reading a few posts of yours that helped me out a great deal too, so right back at you man. I'm still learning as I go, just back to the hobby in 2010, so others might have a more experience opinion than mine.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have been ripping and flipping since last summer, and I'm just now learning that I need to list everything, not just the hits or the low-numbered parallels. This is especially true now that ebay gives you a certain number of auctions per month with no listing fee. It is just tedious to scan and list everything, and then package everything up to ship once it sells, but that's what has to be done to minimize losses in this game.