Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ebay bidding - detecting how much someones maximum bid is?

Is there anyway someone can low bid on an item which I've already bid on, to try and gauge how much my maximum bid might be? I've heard Ebay figured out how to prevent that through their automated bidding engine, but I'm not so sure.

Another question. Let's say you have a Ebayer with 1200 total bids, and 45% of those are bids on 1 seller's items. Is that likely a shill bidding account, or is it likely just a buyer who trusts that seller and buys lots of stuff from them? Or is there really no way to know for certain?
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sure, other buyers can simply bid repeatedly in the smallest increment allowed in an attempt to figure out your max bid or simply raise the price to get rid of other bidders/watchers.

Just as a hypothetical, let's say your high bid is $10.08 on an item. Another bidder can start at $5 (which makes your auto bid $5.50 and so forth), then go $6, $7, $8, $9, $10 (at which point your auto bid shows at $10.08 and the other bidder knows he maxed you). Now if your max is an even number and he happens to go over, say your max was $10.50 which would be auto bid when he bid $10, then when he went to $11, he'd be the high bidder and then if he retracted that last bid, you'd be more likely to think shilling.

1,200 bids being 45% of the guy's total bids does sound odd though, so it is possible someone is shilling you up.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote