Blowout Cards Forums
Community Chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any problems selling unscratched redemptions?

I'm always paranoid about sending unscratched redemptions due to the possibility of buyers saying that it was already redeemed. I'd record a video of myself packing up the unscratched redemption in case there are problems, but for the most part have you had any problems with these?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
LRV

Sold a few without any problem
Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've bought about 40 Aaron Nolas with no problem as a buyer.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkbrown View Post
I'm always paranoid about sending unscratched redemptions due to the possibility of buyers saying that it was already redeemed. I'd record a video of myself packing up the unscratched redemption in case there are problems, but for the most part have you had any problems with these?
Why would this serve as evidence? Just wondering.

It's all random luck. I have never had a problem but it seems like the scammers population is growing and growing. Just hope you don't sell to one.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Why would this serve as evidence? Just wondering.

It's all random luck. I have never had a problem but it seems like the scammers population is growing and growing. Just hope you don't sell to one.
1. Better than nothing.
2. Video proof shows that I placed the unscratched redemption in the envelope, so if buyer says redemption was scratched or doesn't work at least I have something to show that I didn't send it that way.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Better than nothing.
2. Video proof shows that I placed the unscratched redemption in the envelope, so if buyer says redemption was scratched or doesn't work at least I have something to show that I didn't send it that way.
It would not mean anything to anyone else though. Video can be faked, unless you record it from the time you place it in the envelope until you drop it in the box without the package leaving the view or a cut in the video there will be numerous opportunities to switch it out.

Ebay and Paypal will not consider it as evidence.

As with anything if you cannot afford to lose it don't sell it online. There is a chance to be ripped off on anything you sell online.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Better than nothing.
unfortunately, means absolutely nothing

you would need to film the entire process all the way to the post office. i can film myself putting the card in the envelop, then just take the card out afterwords.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I understand what ya'll are saying... to a point. I don't understand how it can be a bad thing?

If you use identifying marks on the envelope, seal it with tape, it can be compared to any other envelope. You can also make marks drawn across edges of shipping label to show that it wasn't removed.

Still don't understand why people usually think these extra steps are bad. I don't spend more time doing it, I just strap a gopro on my head or chest and hit record. In the event of a problem I have WAY more proof than the other person, any extra "evidence" is good.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand what ya'll are saying... to a point. I don't understand how it can be a bad thing?

If you use identifying marks on the envelope, seal it with tape, it can be compared to any other envelope. You can also make marks drawn across edges of shipping label to show that it wasn't removed.

Still don't understand why people usually think these extra steps are bad. I don't spend more time doing it, I just strap a gopro on my head or chest and hit record. In the event of a problem I have WAY more proof than the other person, any extra "evidence" is good.
didn't see anyone saying it was bad, just that it does not prove anything
Old 04-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
didn't see anyone saying it was bad, just that it does not prove anything
Correct, Ebay and Paypal will not care about it.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

If it can't hurt, regardless if it helps or not, I'll do it.

Thankfully I haven't had to worry about it yet
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Correct, Ebay and Paypal will not care about it.
Do you know from experience?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ebay's policy is to side with the buyer. There needs to be overwhelming evidence for ebay to even consider siding with the seller. I think about a month ago, a buyer here returned 2 boxes (that were sold as sealed) of cards claiming that every single pack was opened (yet he managed to open all of them). They refuse to side against the buyer unless they have very clear evidence (such as a message from the buyer) that the buyer did something wrong.

If you want something, PM me here and we can negotiate. I will accept most reasonable deals.
13goyankees13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've sold a handful of them on Ebay, including some high end ones, and never had a problem. Give the buyer the option of receiving the card itself, or just the code by PM/Email. Some collect the card too, but others may just want the code. That will save you the hassle and fears of it getting lost in the mail.
Tyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
I've sold a handful of them on Ebay, including some high end ones, and never had a problem. Give the buyer the option of receiving the card itself, or just the code by PM/Email. Some collect the card too, but others may just want the code. That will save you the hassle and fears of it getting lost in the mail.
If you email the code and they claim they did not get it without tracking showing it was delivered you will lose. I would email it if they want it right away but would still ship it.

As far as the video goes there are numerous threads on Ebay and Paypal that talk about sellers having a video and they still lose. Even a message from the buyer that proves them wrong is not used. I lost a case a few years ago where the buyer wanted a refund, and admitted in the claim message that her son was the one who got mad at her and thew the item on the ground breaking it. She was still given a refund by Paypal. I have asked Ebay reps before about video and was told on a couple of occasions that you are more than welcome to send it, but that since the vast majority of cases are settled without a rep even looking at them odds of the video even being looked at is very small and even then it usually does not prove anything.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
If you email the code and they claim they did not get it without tracking showing it was delivered you will lose. I would email it if they want it right away but would still ship it.

As far as the video goes there are numerous threads on Ebay and Paypal that talk about sellers having a video and they still lose. Even a message from the buyer that proves them wrong is not used. I lost a case a few years ago where the buyer wanted a refund, and admitted in the claim message that her son was the one who got mad at her and thew the item on the ground breaking it. She was still given a refund by Paypal. I have asked Ebay reps before about video and was told on a couple of occasions that you are more than welcome to send it, but that since the vast majority of cases are settled without a rep even looking at them odds of the video even being looked at is very small and even then it usually does not prove anything.
Thank you for the info. That SUCKS about your issue a few years ago and I'd probably stop selling on ebay if that ever happened to me as a seller. While I hope I never have an issue where I have to prove my case, I will continue to do whatever I can to help ensure that I have at least attempted to have more proof than the buyer, just in case.

I have sold a redemption online to somone overseas. They requested via ebay message that I send them the code. I took video of myself scratching it, then attached pics of the scratched and unscratched card as an attachment. Thankfully they left + feedback immediately and I had no issues with the transaction.
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Better than nothing.
I also never understood why people think video of them packing an item will prove anything. As others have already pointed out, you can still switch it out after the video is shut off. So it's completely pointless.

If anything, if I was evaluating the case, I'd be suspicious as to why the seller video taped it.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

and, fyi, I've sold plenty of unscratched redemptions. I've probably emailed more codes than I've actually mailed the cards. Never had a problem.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

I've sold an unscratched redemption in the past to a buyer in Korea. He asked if I could scratch it, which I did and sent him picture of code and I didn't have a problem. I was just seeing if others had any problems before I list more.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Most buyers do not cause issues, but if you email it and you run into one of those who do like to game the system then be prepared to give out a freebie.