Blowout Cards Forums
2015 nat Info

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question eBay invoices? helpppp!

Usually I just pay off my invoice every month and that's that.

But I've sold some items for others where I need to track and record my exact eBay fees.

Why are eBay invoices not easier to use?

For example, the May 2015 invoice shows that it was "billed" on May 15, 2015 ... why? Why is it not taking into consideration the entire month?

In the detail it shows the range as being April 16 - May 15 ?!

WHY does it not just simply go month-by-month?! Why is it mid-month? This makes this very difficult to calculate when everything else in the world goes on a monthly basis.

Maybe there is a simple solution to this and I'm overlooking it? Hopefully!

Also, is there such thing as a Paypal "monthly" report for fees they charge?

Ugh!
paul06901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Usually I just pay off my invoice every month and that's that.

But I've sold some items for others where I need to track and record my exact eBay fees.

Also, is there such thing as a Paypal "monthly" report for fees they charge?

:
10% of final sale and 10% of shipping charge.. Shouldn't matter when the monthly goes through..

paypal = 2.9% + .30 .. if you look at the transaction, it shows total fees .

If your selling for others, create a excel sheet, or just write in a ledger.. I used to sell anywhere from $2k-$4k in gross sales a weekend for someone else. I would just write it down for each.. total + shipping - 10%ebay fee - paypal fee - my commision= their cut

Last edited by roc21; 06-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.
roc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm top-rated so I use:

(X+Y)-(X*.08)-(Y*.10)-((X+Y)*.029)-.3-Shipping Cost-Supplies Cost-Purchase price=Takeaway

X=Item cost
Y=Shipping Cost

If not you can just combine as it's flat ten.

An invoice is just for a month, you are just not asked to pay for it until that date the following month, think of it as time to get affairs in order.

You should be able to see the latest fees though:

xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
10% of final sale and 10% of shipping charge.. Shouldn't matter when the monthly goes through..

paypal = 2.9% + .30 .. if you look at the transaction, it shows total fees .

If your selling for others, create a excel sheet, or just write in a ledger.. I used to sell anywhere from $2k-$4k in gross sales a weekend for someone else. I would just write it down for each.. total + shipping - 10%ebay fee - paypal fee - my commision= their cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
I'm top-rated so I use:

(X+Y)-(X*.08)-(Y*.10)-((X+Y)*.029)-.3-Shipping Cost-Supplies Cost-Purchase price=Takeaway

X=Item cost
Y=Shipping Cost

If not you can just combine as it's flat ten.

An invoice is just for a month, you are just not asked to pay for it until that date the following month, think of it as time to get affairs in order.

You should be able to see the latest fees though:

Thanks for the detailed responses!

So, for a non-top-rated seller with no combined discount, the total ebay&PayPal fees should be a flat 10% of the total sale price, with S&H charge included in that price?

In theory, this sounds like the easiest way to calculate out values by the entire month, so long as fee values stay consistent.

If I want to calculate out all numbers for a given month, I should:

-Go to my eBay, sold items.

-Organize the list by month.

-Use the total sales price at the bottom (the one including S&H costs).

-For PayPal fee calculations, take the total sales price and multiply by .029 , then add that to the number of transactions times .30

-For eBay fee calculations, take the total sales price and multiply by .10

If that all looks good, my only concern is that, if those eBay fees are only FVFs, how do I calculate out the exact listing fees when promotions are taken into consideration? I see that as being a pain in the ass because I can't simply use the invoice detail that shows promotional savings, because it's not month-specific. ?

Also, is there a way I can find a total for my payments to eBay shipping for when I've shipped items via eBay shipping?

This all gets to be such a PITA when buyers are winning in one month but I'm shipping in the next because they pay late. Or buyers who return items - that screws with the numbers and it's a super huge pain to calculate things backwards to balance everything.

Last edited by paul06901; 06-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

are you selling a very high volume for others? in your op you said you sold "some", which makes me think its just a few, if thats the case, to me, you are over thinking this. Personally, I don't worry about the invoice or when it's paid. I know the $ is sitting there and gets paid automatically. I get an email saying invoice was paid today. Unless your draining your paypal every month.

And yes ebay is 10% of total(sale & shipping).. less for top rated/power sellers
paypal is 2.9% + .30 cents per transaction

as far as listing fees..it's either free or .30 (or more for upgrade)..

If your selling for someone its best to go by these base percentages. If you get top rated and say are only charged .08 or .09% keep the difference, you are using your acct to sell for someone, you earned the discount, charge it out at 10% across the board keep yourself from going crazy over these #s.. Am i making sense of your situation or am I missing something?

Last edited by roc21; 06-02-2015 at 09:12 PM.
roc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
are you selling a very high volume for others? in your op you said you sold "some", which makes me think its just a few, if thats the case, to me, you are over thinking this. Personally, I don't worry about the invoice or when it's paid. I know the $ is sitting there and gets paid automatically. I get an email saying invoice was paid today. Unless your draining your paypal every month.

And yes ebay is 10% of total(sale & shipping).. less for top rated/power sellers
paypal is 2.9% + .30 cents per transaction

as far as listing fees..it's either free or .30 (or more for upgrade)..

If your selling for someone its best to go by these base percentages. If you get top rated and say are only charged .08 or .09% keep the difference, you are using your acct to sell for someone, you earned the discount, charge it out at 10% across the board keep yourself from going crazy over these #s.. Am i making sense of your situation or am I missing something?
Thanks for the response. It's not a high volume, right now under 100 items/month on average.

Using those percentages/formulas, that does make it easier to calculate the costs.

I guess the only other difficulty I'm having now is figuring out my S&H costs. I charge free S&H and only ship via eBay shipping. Is there any way to find a total, per month, of the eBay shipping charges? Or any way to find some sort of total without individually adding up each charge by looking them up in PayPal?

And the other question I had was in regards to the promotional listing fees. I also have a store setup. This is all on an account only used for these sales, not my personal sales. I know there is a monthly store fee, and when I max out the free listings it's a $.30 charge per. I believe with the store, the FVFs are lower? (eBay says 4-9% ... not really sure)

On my personal account, I don't pay attention to anything ... I just pay my invoice when it's due. But with this other setup I have going, I need to be fully transparent on everything. I'm just looking for an easier way to see these fees laid out I guess?

Last edited by paul06901; 06-02-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the response. It's not a high volume, right now under 100 items/month on average.

Using those percentages/formulas, that does make it easier to calculate the costs.

I guess the only other difficulty I'm having now is figuring out my S&H costs. I charge free S&H and only ship via eBay shipping. Is there any way to find a total, per month, of the eBay shipping charges? Or any way to find some sort of total without individually adding up each charge by looking them up in PayPal?

And the other question I had was in regards to the promotional listing fees. I also have a store setup. This is all on an account only used for these sales, not my personal sales. I know there is a monthly store fee, and when I max out the free listings it's a $.30 charge per. I believe with the store, the FVFs are lower? (eBay says 4-9% ... not really sure)

On my personal account, I don't pay attention to anything ... I just pay my invoice when it's due. But with this other setup I have going, I need to be fully transparent on everything. I'm just looking for an easier way to see these fees laid out I guess?
Does anyone know? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Does anyone know? Thanks!

As for the labels go to ebay > selling > shipping labels to see all the labels. I'd just total them up. Assuming most of your items are under 3 ounces you can do $1.93*X ($2.04 now) and then add in the different ones.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post

As for the labels go to ebay > selling > shipping labels to see all the labels. I'd just total them up. Assuming most of your items are under 3 ounces you can do $1.93*X ($2.04 now) and then add in the different ones.
Thanks for that! I guess the FVF saving aren't much at only 1%, but better than nothing!

The items I'm shipping are not cards, so the weights vary. With the lower volume I'm doing now, I can add them up. I was just hoping there was a better method for when volume increases.