Blowout Cards Forums
Bryce harper

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I Want to Bring a Sports Card Show to L.A. - Looking for Vendors!

Hi! I'm looking to begin a sports card show that will be located in Culver City. I've got a location (The Culver City Teen Center--it has ample parking and is situated in a nice, safe area and is large enough for 40 or more tables; also, the parking lot is close to the center = easy transfer of the items you're selling) and have added up all the expenses. To successfully do the show I'll need to fill 40 tables.

Ideally, I would like to do the show once per month on a Sunday. The show will run 9-4 and dealers can begin setting up at 8:00 AM.

No date has yet been set for the first show but I would like each show to occur the first Sunday of every month. Once I find enough dealers to fill 40 tables I can schedule the first show.

Tables are $50 each (each table is 8' X 2.5'). Of course, dealers can reserve as many tables as they'd like and chairs will also be provided.

I'm committed to making this show a success as there are no monthly sports card shows located in or close to Los Angeles.

Any excess funds left after I pay the rental, insurance, and the city tax certificate/recycling charge/etc. will go toward having an athlete sign for those in attendance for an hour or two--I plan on having a current or former professional athlete sign at every second or third show as this will bring the show more exposure and treat the attendees to some autos and time meeting the athlete.

A bit about me: I've collected sports cards for almost thirty years. I was at the Vegas Industry Summit in March and was challenged to do something good for the hobby.

If interested in selling or if you would like to be alerted once I know the date of our first show so you can attend, please respond to this ad. I hope to bring a great card show with quality vendors to Los Angeles. Thanks!
kabenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a dealer, but between my buddy and I, I'm sure we'd have plenty to sell. Keep me in the loop!
charnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, sounds good. A lot of the guys aren't shop owners - just collectors looking to sell cards they don't want. I'll definitely keep your into and will contact everyone once I get close to 40 tables filled. Many thanks!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

You might want to allow more time for set-up (that depends on the dealers and what they carry). I have dealers who need 2 or more hours to set up and others take 10-15 minutes. I would either begin set up at 7 or change the show hours to 10-4. (At least in Dallas, the shows draw very few people on a Sunday between 9-10 AM(

Table price point is fine. I would personally do slight discounts for vendors who want 2 or more tables. The more multiple table holders you have, the better off you are

I'd figure you'd take in about $1200-1500 from tables and another couple of hundred from attendees and then when you subtract expenses that becomes your basic athlete budget. Don't forget to budget in costs of balls (baseball, football, etc), photos, cards, etc. Is there is JSA or PSA rep near you. if so I'd contact them to see if you can get them to appear

Depends of course on what you want to do with the autograph guests

Having attended shows for nearly 40 years and running them for 2 now, I've learned quite a bit in the past 2 years

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #4, Sunday September 6, 2015 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
sabrgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

re-reading your original post, you need to commit to a date. When you have a date then everyone can truly plan to set up. Without a date, we can say, yeah we'll set up but,,,
Plano, Tx. Card Show #4, Sunday September 6, 2015 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't commit a date until I get enough vendors who are interested. Once I am in the ballpark of filling 40 tables I'll contact everyone with a date to see if it works. Once that's done and a date is set with the venue I can promote. But I'm at the point of having maybe 15 tables committed to and so I wanted to post on a few forums to up the number (so far it's worked pretty well).
Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

It would be easier to commit if there was a date established.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm just looking for interest at this point. Once I collect enough potentials I will coordinate. I don't want to set a date until enough vendors are found as I don't want to run into a scenario where the date approaches and I have too few vendors.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

If you are trying to make this a regular thing then this is a business and most businesses don't make money or break even early on. You need to commit to a date, reserve your location, put some money into advertising and go from there. I would almost guarantee some vendors you believe may be in will end up being out.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

And some people who have not committed will commit when you have your date
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
If you are trying to make this a regular thing then this is a business and most businesses don't make money or break even early on. You need to commit to a date, reserve your location, put some money into advertising and go from there. I would almost guarantee some vendors you believe may be in will end up being out.
This is what I was thinking
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

There are reasons that the promoters of the SoCal Sports Collectors Show (one of whom is a member of this board and lives just a couple miles from that site) don't use that facility.
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
There are reasons that the promoters of the SoCal Sports Collectors Show (one of whom is a member of this board and lives just a couple miles from that site) don't use that facility.
OK. I'll PM you to learn the reasons.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
Believe me: I'm not trying to get rich off this (if I was I wouldn't be charging $50 per table when one of the former Culver City shows was charging per $95 per table).

I agree that some vendors will back out. I'm making certain there's enough interest in the show prior to reserving the spot and paying the venue.