Blowout Cards Forums
Miguel Sano

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default COMC question for cards under .50

Correct me if I am wrong here but...

Any card listed under .50 is essentially losing money, right?

If I am paying .25 to list and then charging, say, .40 for a card (of which COMC gets a quarter of) I am upside down on that card by 10 cents when/if it sells, right?

I am essentially losing a dime to have someone take said card from me, right?

Day 1 of 45 of no hobby budget.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

no - could have been purchased through a port sale
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
no - could have been purchased through a port sale
If it wasn't though.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
If it wasn't though.
if it wasn't, then possibly. could of been sent in on one of the specials which would bring the fee down.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depending on several factors even if its not a port sale it may not be losing money. If you go at it looking at a per item without figuring the cost of the item your general break even point is 33 cents.

Many sellers base it on the entire submission. Lets say I send in 100 cards after shipping my costs will be about 32.00 to submit them. Now say 5 of those cards are easy sellers at 10.00 each and another 10 are easy sells in the 5.00 range thats a 100.00 return, the rest of the submission has been more than covered, so the only thing left to really worry about is cost of goods which could have also been taken care of in the first 15 cards depending on how you sourced them, so if you paid 10 cents each for them and list the rest at a quarter you are still making 15 cents each in COMC cash.

There are also cases on COMC where it is just best to take a loss on something and move on.

Last edited by shrevecity; 07-29-2015 at 10:19 PM.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Depending on several factors even if its not a port sale it may not be losing money. If you go at it looking at a per item without figuring the cost of the item your general break even point is 33 cents.

Many sellers base it on the entire submission. Lets say I send in 100 cards after shipping my costs will be about 32.00 to submit them. Now say 5 of those cards are easy sellers at 10.00 each and another 10 are easy sells in the 5.00 range thats a 100.00 return, the rest of the submission has been more than covered, so the only thing left to really worry about is cost of goods which could have also been taken care of in the first 15 cards depending on how you sourced them, so if you paid 10 cents each for them and list the rest at a quarter you are still making 15 cents each in COMC cash.

I figure my cost basis as pro rata if I buy a group or lot so I think that your second paragraph defines....me. I felt like I have done well on comc until I realized that I am actuall taking a loss on certain items. With that being said. A medium rate box cost $12-13 or so to ship. The more cards, the lower per card shipping cost. Thank you for the insight and rationale.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post

There are also cases on COMC where it is just best to take a loss on something and move on.
that is a good explanation, and way to look at it
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I try not to send in any cards that are under 75 cents in advanced shipping mode. Because then if I run a sale, I'm still making a profit.

I will be sending in some postcards and oversized on their 30cent National special this year, so it's not all that bad. But it's not as good as I thought it would be.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here but...

Any card listed under .50 is essentially losing money, right?

If I am paying .25 to list and then charging, say, .40 for a card (of which COMC gets a quarter of) I am upside down on that card by 10 cents when/if it sells, right?

I am essentially losing a dime to have someone take said card from me, right?
Some people can charge less for their cards, because they've avoided the processing charge by buying a port - since someone else paid the processing fees. You only pay 25 cents for processing - whoever buys the card pays that other 25 cents COMC charges, as a shipping fee, if the buyer has the card shipped from COMC. If they have their account set to the advanced setting, they don't see the 25 cent shipping fee.

So, if you spend 25 cents on processing and sell the card for 50 cents, you'll still get the full 50 cents, having made a 25 cent "profit".
Old 08-01-2015, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Even on the stuff I have paid to have processed... sometimes, if something has been sitting around long enough, I'll lower the price down to whatever it takes to sell it. If I'm making money over all, it's worth it to me to get some of the trash I shouldn't have sent in out of my inventory. Cost of doing business and all that. Do I really care if I lose $0.10 on a card that was part of a batch of 1000 that, overall, I did OK on? I'd rather get it off my list of stuff to monitor/race to the bottom with.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
Even on the stuff I have paid to have processed... sometimes, if something has been sitting around long enough, I'll lower the price down to whatever it takes to sell it. If I'm making money over all, it's worth it to me to get some of the trash I shouldn't have sent in out of my inventory. Cost of doing business and all that. Do I really care if I lose $0.10 on a card that was part of a batch of 1000 that, overall, I did OK on? I'd rather get it off my list of stuff to monitor/race to the bottom with.
I agree with this. I am willing to lose some if I am making money on the other stuff. I just wanted to confirm that it was happening. Also, I will just be a bit more selective with what I send in. If I increase what I am looking to make from a card by another quarter it just makes my submissions smaller.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just lowered like 100 cards to 10 cents each. Im losing 15 cents on each, but just want them off my page.
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have sold a number of cards for less than 50 cents. Most of the time, they were added when fees were cheaper or had promotions. Others are when I am just looking to clean up inventory.

Right now, I have some less than 15 cents per because I am trying to get down to a point where it is cheap to ship most everything back to me.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote