Blowout Cards Forums
Miguel Sano

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping


Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
JMarchand1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,930
Default COMC question for cards under .50

Correct me if I am wrong here but...

Any card listed under .50 is essentially losing money, right?

If I am paying .25 to list and then charging, say, .40 for a card (of which COMC gets a quarter of) I am upside down on that card by 10 cents when/if it sells, right?

I am essentially losing a dime to have someone take said card from me, right?
__________________
My Young Gun collection is getting better.

Day 1 of 45 of no hobby budget.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
glen87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VERMONT
Posts: 8,245
Default

no - could have been purchased through a port sale
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
collecting James Madison University players of all sports
glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
JMarchand1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen87 View Post
no - could have been purchased through a port sale
If it wasn't though.
__________________
My Young Gun collection is getting better.

Day 1 of 45 of no hobby budget.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
glen87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VERMONT
Posts: 8,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
If it wasn't though.
if it wasn't, then possibly. could of been sent in on one of the specials which would bring the fee down.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
collecting James Madison University players of all sports
glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,937
Default

Depending on several factors even if its not a port sale it may not be losing money. If you go at it looking at a per item without figuring the cost of the item your general break even point is 33 cents.

Many sellers base it on the entire submission. Lets say I send in 100 cards after shipping my costs will be about 32.00 to submit them. Now say 5 of those cards are easy sellers at 10.00 each and another 10 are easy sells in the 5.00 range thats a 100.00 return, the rest of the submission has been more than covered, so the only thing left to really worry about is cost of goods which could have also been taken care of in the first 15 cards depending on how you sourced them, so if you paid 10 cents each for them and list the rest at a quarter you are still making 15 cents each in COMC cash.

There are also cases on COMC where it is just best to take a loss on something and move on.

Last edited by shrevecity; 07-29-2015 at 10:19 PM.
shrevecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
JMarchand1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Depending on several factors even if its not a port sale it may not be losing money. If you go at it looking at a per item without figuring the cost of the item your general break even point is 33 cents.

Many sellers base it on the entire submission. Lets say I send in 100 cards after shipping my costs will be about 32.00 to submit them. Now say 5 of those cards are easy sellers at 10.00 each and another 10 are easy sells in the 5.00 range thats a 100.00 return, the rest of the submission has been more than covered, so the only thing left to really worry about is cost of goods which could have also been taken care of in the first 15 cards depending on how you sourced them, so if you paid 10 cents each for them and list the rest at a quarter you are still making 15 cents each in COMC cash.

I figure my cost basis as pro rata if I buy a group or lot so I think that your second paragraph defines....me. I felt like I have done well on comc until I realized that I am actuall taking a loss on certain items. With that being said. A medium rate box cost $12-13 or so to ship. The more cards, the lower per card shipping cost. Thank you for the insight and rationale.
__________________
My Young Gun collection is getting better.

Day 1 of 45 of no hobby budget.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
glen87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VERMONT
Posts: 8,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrevecity View Post
Depending on several factors even if its not a port sale it may not be losing money. If you go at it looking at a per item without figuring the cost of the item your general break even point is 33 cents.

Many sellers base it on the entire submission. Lets say I send in 100 cards after shipping my costs will be about 32.00 to submit them. Now say 5 of those cards are easy sellers at 10.00 each and another 10 are easy sells in the 5.00 range thats a 100.00 return, the rest of the submission has been more than covered, so the only thing left to really worry about is cost of goods which could have also been taken care of in the first 15 cards depending on how you sourced them, so if you paid 10 cents each for them and list the rest at a quarter you are still making 15 cents each in COMC cash.

There are also cases on COMC where it is just best to take a loss on something and move on.
that is a good explanation, and way to look at it
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glen87/albums
collecting James Madison University players of all sports
glen87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
mjohnatgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 448
Default

Yeah, I try not to send in any cards that are under 75 cents in advanced shipping mode. Because then if I run a sale, I'm still making a profit.

I will be sending in some postcards and oversized on their 30cent National special this year, so it's not all that bad. But it's not as good as I thought it would be.
__________________
<---- 20% OFF COMC Autoaccept always on. Will consider offers down to 50% off.
mjohnatgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
JustMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarchand1981 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here but...

Any card listed under .50 is essentially losing money, right?

If I am paying .25 to list and then charging, say, .40 for a card (of which COMC gets a quarter of) I am upside down on that card by 10 cents when/if it sells, right?

I am essentially losing a dime to have someone take said card from me, right?
Some people can charge less for their cards, because they've avoided the processing charge by buying a port - since someone else paid the processing fees. You only pay 25 cents for processing - whoever buys the card pays that other 25 cents COMC charges, as a shipping fee, if the buyer has the card shipped from COMC. If they have their account set to the advanced setting, they don't see the 25 cent shipping fee.

So, if you spend 25 cents on processing and sell the card for 50 cents, you'll still get the full 50 cents, having made a 25 cent "profit".
__________________
Nothing to see here...move along...
JustMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
reds77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bunt City, USA
Posts: 55
Default

Even on the stuff I have paid to have processed... sometimes, if something has been sitting around long enough, I'll lower the price down to whatever it takes to sell it. If I'm making money over all, it's worth it to me to get some of the trash I shouldn't have sent in out of my inventory. Cost of doing business and all that. Do I really care if I lose $0.10 on a card that was part of a batch of 1000 that, overall, I did OK on? I'd rather get it off my list of stuff to monitor/race to the bottom with.
__________________
--
Looking for the 2013 Turkey Red Johnny Cueto cyan printing plate! Will pay a finders fee of $100 for a lead that ends in a purchase at a reasonable price!
reds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
JMarchand1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
Even on the stuff I have paid to have processed... sometimes, if something has been sitting around long enough, I'll lower the price down to whatever it takes to sell it. If I'm making money over all, it's worth it to me to get some of the trash I shouldn't have sent in out of my inventory. Cost of doing business and all that. Do I really care if I lose $0.10 on a card that was part of a batch of 1000 that, overall, I did OK on? I'd rather get it off my list of stuff to monitor/race to the bottom with.
I agree with this. I am willing to lose some if I am making money on the other stuff. I just wanted to confirm that it was happening. Also, I will just be a bit more selective with what I send in. If I increase what I am looking to make from a card by another quarter it just makes my submissions smaller.
__________________
My Young Gun collection is getting better.

Day 1 of 45 of no hobby budget.
JMarchand1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DeKalb
Posts: 2,943
Default

I just lowered like 100 cards to 10 cents each. Im losing 15 cents on each, but just want them off my page.
__________________
Current Game- Kingdom Hearts 1.5
Follow My Current Texas Break, Contest On occasion in thread
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football-box-breaks/907086-slowly-breakin-some-2011-upper-deck-texas-cases-15x-case-break.html
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Valdosta, Ga
Posts: 2,496
Default

I have sold a number of cards for less than 50 cents. Most of the time, they were added when fees were cheaper or had promotions. Others are when I am just looking to clean up inventory.

Right now, I have some less than 15 cents per because I am trying to get down to a point where it is cheap to ship most everything back to me.
__________________
I collect anyone who played hockey at the University of Maine (Paul Kariya, Jimmy Howard, Dustin Penner, Mike Lundin, Ben Bishop, Teddy Purcell, etc).

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.