Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default card fillers for shipping?

I'm starting to ship a lot of cards, and I'm looking to buy a boat load of card fillers for shipping. These would be card sized cardboard pieces that would fit on either size of a sleeved/toploaded card in a team bag, for protection. I used to use those Panini card fillers, but I ran out, and those weight quite a bit anyway. Now I'm using cut up cardboard which is lightweight but seems to provide great protection. The problem is I have to cut up tons of cardboard boxes, total pain in the rear.

Anyone know where I can buy cut up sized cardboard pieces, the size of a card? Or is there something else I should be using?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

For filler, why not use packing peanuts. Available almost anywhere and super light weight. I typically put one or two with a card to keep the thickness at 3/4". Other idea if its single cards is I tend to use bubble mailers that I got in from other deals/purchases (and cut these into 3-4 strips). Helps add thickness, protect the card, and helps reuse stuff that would end up going into a landfill.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
For filler, why not use packing peanuts. Available almost anywhere and super light weight. I typically put one or two with a card to keep the thickness at 3/4". Other idea if its single cards is I tend to use bubble mailers that I got in from other deals/purchases (and cut these into 3-4 strips). Helps add thickness, protect the card, and helps reuse stuff that would end up going into a landfill.
Here's why I use fillers: I shipped a large patch card about 6 months ago. Shipped with card -> sleeve -> top loader -> 2 packing peanuts -> bubble mailer. The buyer got it fine but the card was slightly damaged. It seems as though a very large dude sat on the package, in such a way that the card was bent on the area around the patch. It was hard to see on a scan, but the buyer returned the card to me, and there it was, the areas around the patch were bent into the card.

Packing peanuts don't help against that at all, they would just squash. Large card fillers would help. If the fillers are the size of the top loader, and fit inside the team bag, they would help distribute the pressure over the entire card, and help prevent similar patch cards from getting bent inside the toploader. Or so I think?

The card fillers inside the team bag also help to keep thick cards inside the top loader, because the fillers pull the team bag top away from the top loader, which in turn push the top of the team bag against the open end of the top loader, so that if the card tries to get out, it can't.

That's why I use fillers. I really think they work well.

Anyone know where to get some cardboard card fillers, sized to a card or just a bit smaller than a top loader?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I figured thats why you might want them. Your best bet honesty is to get a paper cutter and just cut them yourself. You'd end up paying someone for something that most consider waste (cardboard boxes). You could cut them in batches and keep a full stock pretty quickly.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I figured thats why you might want them. Your best bet honesty is to get a paper cutter and just cut them yourself. You'd end up paying someone for something that most consider waste (cardboard boxes). You could cut them in batches and keep a full stock pretty quickly.
Cool, that's what I've been doing, I've got a real nice big paper cutter, and I've boxes that cards came in, so it's just the time to cut them all up. Ugh. There's never enough time for cards!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, I don't know of a single large chain of stores that doesn't recycle their boxes (and get paid for that "waste"). But with that said, most stores will happily give someone a few empty boxes of whatever size they need.

Quote:
Now I'm using cut up cardboard which is lightweight but seems to provide great protection. The problem is I have to cut up tons of cardboard boxes, total pain in the rear.
That's what I do for higher end cards ($20 or so). It's a pain, but I do it while watching a game or something, so it really isn't too bad and I really do like the protection it provides and the fact it doesn't weigh a ton.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got a TON of the "decoys" from packs.
Bengals4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Use unwanted singles....

Crap for trade-
https://picasaweb.google.com/103658828018382987910
NonSportsCardForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSportsCardForum View Post
Use unwanted singles....
Bingo...this is what I have started to do. Many times they are scrub rookies or inserts....Often times I get the, "he even sent extras" on feedback even though they are fillers for me.

And I think I might remember that casspi w/ the dent....
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
Bingo...this is what I have started to do. Many times they are scrub rookies or inserts....Often times I get the, "he even sent extras" on feedback even though they are fillers for me.

And I think I might remember that casspi w/ the dent....
Yeah, that was it! That transaction is exactly why I want some kind of filler for protection, because I think the package got sat on, and it just squished the card. I remember we worked out the transaction to both satisfaction though? I hope?

I'm not so hot on real cards for filler because, well, it just seems wrong to me for some reason, not sure why. I have about 4000 lbs. of commons in my basement, but I still can't just throw them away, or use them as dummy cards. Anyway, I spent some time this afternoon cutting up boxes, and I've got a 3000 ct. box full of them now, so I'm set.