Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > FOOTBALL SINGLES BUY/SELL/TRADE

FOOTBALL SINGLES BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your FOOTBALL Singles Buy/Sell/Trade needs here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How is this possible??

I have a very large collection of Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, and Bronko Nagurski cards and this is one of my favorites. How can this happen the same exact card ##. I spend a bunch of $$ on this stuff so the fact the there is the same card with the same serial number really concerns me. What does everyone think?

labguy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rut roh , you know atleast one is authentic according to Beckett I would get with the person who sold the other one.
scottz7801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

send ungraded ones to beckett and see what happens :O
CowboysAllDay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

The serial numbers stamped in different fonts or is that just the pic distorted?

PC collections: Tim Tebow, Derek Anderson, Josh Morgan & Brock Marion
3lilcraziesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to baseball9515

It could be possible they stamped one of them double, so say instead of there being an 18/25 or 16/25, maybe they double stamped and did 17/25 twice. No way of really knowing unless you end up with all 25 of them or 26???
baseball9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

seem to be slightly different fonts, but the same #.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 0264 roadrunner1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy42 View Post
seem to be slightly different fonts, but the same #.
I looks like they replaced one that was damaged, but incorrectly stamped it? Just a guess. Rut Roh is Right....

My Site: http://www.freewebs.com/road_runner_1964/index.htm
0264 roadrunner1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have this stuff to:

Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

The graded one HMMMMM that stamp looks awful funny. Do you have a picture of any of the other ones? Other people in the set to compare the stamp. Your 17/25 looks like a Elite stamp. The one Beckett graded that stamp is way off base. I would be calling somebody for sure.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Replacements would be one idea, but the top one bothers me the most. The lower of the two is stamped in a font that I have never seen used from any brand.

My best guess beyond replacements would be an ex (or current) employee who got their hands on some QC errors (especially the 13/15 and 14/15) and put them out into the market one way or another. Makes sense with higher end pieces like these
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

just my 2 cents... it was a factory F up...

I remember getting donruss americana cards numbered 101/100 and 000/250.... donruss just had idiots working for them lol.

Sorry this happened to you guys.. I would be PO too.. but they aren't fake IMO.. just stupidly made.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have emailed Tracy Hackler from Panini on the Immortal cards about a year ago and all he wanted was for me to return the cards?? What would I get in return?? I only collect Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Bronko Nagurski stuff so replacements would be worth nothing to me. Seems like he just wanted cover up a mistake, but I don't make accusations. Cards that are sent back in and/ or replaced should be destroyed so this duplication can't occur.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy42 View Post
I have emailed Tracy Hackler from Panini on the Immortal cards about a year ago and all he wanted was for me to return the cards?? What would I get in return?? I only collect Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Bronko Nagurski stuff so replacements would be worth nothing to me. Seems like he just wanted cover up a mistake, but I don't make accusations. Cards that are sent back in and/ or replaced should be destroyed so this duplication can't occur.
wasn't his mistake .. was it? lol Was he head of Donruss/leaf as well?

I would ask him if he could send you replacement grange and thrope items if you send in the items (I would suggest the same to the /15 guy as well)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Looks like factory error. Pretty cool tho.
I got a card with. Preview xxx/xxx
fortunatematt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Had that happen to me a while back.. A friend on the boards at beckett...Twisty if anyone remembers him had a certified Charles Woodson (I think) Emerald patch #3/5 and I saw one eBay and I picked it up for him and it was 3/5 also. Leaf actually exchanged one of the cards for a fresh box of certified. Not a bad deal, but that's the only other case of duplicate serial numbers I have ever witnessed...

I WANT YOUR MONTEE BALL
cranrasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hackler is a joke!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Tom, I cannot cite exact instances. But this has happened to others before and I've only seen it with Donruss/Panini products. I have never seen them off center like that. These didnt all come out of the same sale did they?
chajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

chajones:

no but I have bought a bunch of Blackbox exclusives and convention stamped cards and they all seemed to be coming from the same guy. I questioned him and he says that he goes to all the Nationals, Conventions etc and searches for them. I personally didn't believe him, but I wanted the cards anyway as long as they were not stolen??
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Hmmm, well that is curious. It would be interesting to take these to a big show where beckett or panini is and ask about it in person. I'm with ya regarding sending them back. You won't see them or a worthwhile replacement. If you could get some documentation on both you might have some rare factory rejects. But could they have accidentally released one? Much less two! But it would seem a waste to destroy them too. Couldn't the swatches be recycled and put in another card at a later date?

But Tom, I , like you would have bought them! Lol. But my mind would be dead set on getting some sort of explanation or certification!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Inactive Account

You know the more I look at the bottom two the more convinced this was a factory reject or test piece. The reason simply being that a counterfeiter would have taken the time to correct it. I know that sounds silly at first but if they guy is investing $1 worth of junk and ink to create a fake card, he would make another $1 card to make sure he is never exposed. It's simply too much at risk to sell it with such a glaring error.

Panini on the other hand can simply say, hey just send it back if anyone ever complains!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

The top one was pack inserted.

The one below was stamped with the serial numbering Playoff would use on replacement cards. Playoff often would have blank numbered cards that they would use as replacements for damaged cards. Any blanks not replaced would often go to create show promo's or special 1/1s (Black Box). This is a case were either the 17/25 was replaced for damage and an employee snatched up the pack inserted card, or an employee snatched up the blank card and stamped it himself. Eitherway, cool story and cards!
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote