Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Most outrageous, insulting price I've seen a shop charge for a card, pic inside

Yeah, I figured without the picture proof you guys would think I was doing this to get a laugh or fool some people, no, I wish that were the case. So there's only one "real" hobby shop near me, a true, good ol' fashioned card store.

THEN, in a mall about 35 minutes away, there's a sports shop in the mall, that sells auto'd mini helmets, BIG wall pictures, key chains, plates, all kinds of sport knick knacks. They're ALWAYS insanely priced. I mean just laughable ridiculous. For instance, Mcfarlane toys new Legends series came out for football, Toys r us right across the street from the mall 11.99. Same figures in this store, WITH THE TOYS R US STICKER STILL ON THEM AND THIS STORES OWN STICKER HALF ASSEDLY PUT OVER IT, $27.00

Wait, it get's worse, I saw the ultimate insult that got me kicked out of the store. They have some glass cases with cards, usually extremely overpriced, (Montana topps 81 rookie that's been sitting there for over a year now marked for $200 when BV is $120...even a year ago BV was $150...) Well I went up to the newer card case and no, no...not the Cutler chrome rookie that's $12...I saw a Tim Tebow Platinum BASE CARD[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B] FOR $45.00 IT'S NOT EVEN A REFRACTOR OR THICK SP LOL, A REGULAR OL BASE CARD...45 DOLLARS THIS TAKES THE CAKE. Needless to say, those of you who love me or hate me know I'm quite.... opinionated and man did I go off on this guy, I threw out ever jab I could, he claimed "the demand is there, you don't have to pay it" but come on, that's just ass rape. It's sick. It's ignorant. Then these dealers wonder why they can't stay in business. Christ man, this card books for $8 dollars tops! I'm not even saying this guy needs to go to ebay prices, JUST GO TO BOOK VALUE LOL. And now for your viewing enjoyment, the pic I snapped with my phone before I told him what I thought lol.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by rodgers12; 10-24-2010 at 08:06 PM.
rodgers12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have that SAME card!!!! I know this is crazy, but I will go $30 dlvd to the 1st person to PM me...that is an amazing deal. Let me know
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
I have that SAME card!!!! I know this is crazy, but I will go $30 dlvd to the 1st person to PM me...that is an amazing deal. Let me know
I have one too that I popped in a Blaster, I'll go $1 dollar lower than you $29 DLVD. $27 Gift lol
Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers12 View Post
I have one too that I popped in a Blaster, I'll go $1 dollar lower than you $29 DLVD. $27 Gift lol
Man, that is just wrong!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
Man, that is just wrong!
The Price is Right game show has taught me well lol.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am undercutting you all!! I will go $15.00 SHIPPED!! LOL!!

garpike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh you know some Tebow lover will buy him @ that price. Hope after you saw that, you walked straight outta the store!! That's almost price-gouging
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

God Bless capitalism...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Idiots of this caliber chase away more potential hobbyists than we will ever imagine. Can you imagine a nice Grandma buying into the Tim Tebow hype and she pays the $45 asking price and takes it to her grandson who looks it up on Beckett.com and finds it books at $8 (or something like that). Do you think she is ever going to buy another sportscard?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

You could have taken a picture and left, and shown it like you did, the price itself will keep the guy from selling, you really didnt have to pull a jerk move and tell him what you thought, just my two cents,
hughdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Idiots of this caliber chase away more potential hobbyists than we will ever imagine. Can you imagine a nice Grandma buying into the Tim Tebow hype and she pays the $45 asking price and takes it to her grandson who looks it up on Beckett.com and finds it books at $8 (or something like that). Do you think she is ever going to buy another sportscard?
I agree with this. Even if it is his right to charge what he wants, I hope someone doesn't get hosed over on it.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

lol, what a steal on the Tebow rc
Also want your Brook Lopez, Mason Plumlee and Deron Williams
yankeesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan24 View Post
lol, what a steal on the Tebow rc
Maybe there is an autograph on the back of it.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Nice looking card i think he could get more
nacowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

why not ask him how much he's buying those for. then go to ebay and get them for a few bucks and make some $.
gashman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

I can't believe they want $12 for that base Cutler out of Topps.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdds View Post
You could have taken a picture and left, and shown it like you did, the price itself will keep the guy from selling, you really didnt have to pull a jerk move and tell him what you thought, just my two cents,
He's one of these guys who complains whenever I go in there. The girlfriend goes to her girly shops, I go here because I HATE the mall, I hate the people in the mall, all the 14 year old clones all dressed and talking the same, it's hell on earth to me, so I find the tranquility of this sports store and when I go in, the guy is always bitching that no one is buying, that he's barely making rent, the hobby isn't what it was in the 90's, etc. So it's just ...cards priced like this...and he's wondering why he has a hard time making any money?

Like I said, it's not just this card, figures that are available across the street at a toys r us for $11.99 he's asking $27.00 for...I mean, ok, charge $13.99, maybe $15 if you need to make a few more bucks because you aren't a mega chain like toys r us..but $27? $16 extra dollars vs. what it goes for at other retail stores? I'm not even referring to ebay here. Just OTHER RETAIL.

He's also helping kill the hobby that he's complaining hasn't been the same since the 90's, with such ridiculously high prices.

So I didn't exactly tell him off, I told him what he didn't want to hear, that his prices were outrageous and he should be a shamed of himself for being so shady.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

the closest LCS to me has 3 Joe Mauer Auto RC's that are stickerd $100 over BV, they claim they sell at that price yet I have seen the same ones in the same spot in their case for over a year now.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceczerwonka View Post
I can't believe they want $12 for that base Cutler out of Topps.
THAT was the real surprise to me haha
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers12 View Post
He's also helping kill the hobby that he's complaining hasn't been the same since the 90's, with such ridiculously high prices.
It hasn't been the same since the 90's because thanks to the internet they can't rip us off anymore!

I went to a mall a while back and saw a memorabilia shop and just had to stop in to buy something. I walk in and notice I'm the only customer. I look at the guy behind the counter and he doesn't even acknowledge me. I walk up to the counter to see what boxes he has for sale, still no greeting. I see the ridiculously overpriced boxes, laugh, and walk out.

Just an example of pricing at that time:

2009 Upper Deck Football hobby box - Blowout price $49.99
2009 Upper Deck Football hobby box - Card shop price $150.00

You would think at those prices there would at least be some sort of customer service but I'm sure they make enough money ripping little kids off.
eluna25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
the closest LCS to me has 3 Joe Mauer Auto RC's that are stickerd $100 over BV, they claim they sell at that price yet I have seen the same ones in the same spot in their case for over a year now.
what card shop is that? double play?
lrogge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

WOW. Thats horrendous. I have three of that exact card, sitting in my desk drawer at work just lying here. I feel bad if someone actually buys that.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

some kid who likes tebow, will end up getting his mom to buy it and get ripped off.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrogge1979 View Post
what card shop is that? double play?
yup you guessed it.
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

These lcs owners complain because they are going out of business?? That is a perfect example of why. Yeah the internet is hurting the lcs, but come on now that's just plain rediculous. I go to my lcs and I know I'm going to pay slightly higher because yea they have overhead and all that, but I like the lcs I go to and the people who work there. Maybe if this douche bag wasn't trying to #@#@#@ rape customers he would have more business. I would have done the same thing you did.