Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA
Default Opinions on JSA Authentication?

Anyone have any opinions (negative in particular) on James Spence Authentication?

I might purchase some memorabilia and it is authenticated by JSA, so I just wanted to see if anyone has an opinion on their reputation.

Thanks!
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

Spence has a good reputation in terms of resale value. I read a sting operation type thing in either Tuff Stuff or Sports Collectors Digest a few years ago where they forged some stuff and he authenticated it and then they told him it was forged and then he got really mad at them and then and then and then....

<ahem> Sorry. I remember reading that though.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had James spence authenticate an item for me once.

A Joe dimaggio ball that looked questionable and was deemed authentic.

I paid like $75.00 for this.

I think that they make an educated guess but I would say buyer beware.
If your player was in a rush or having a bad day, the auto might come back fake.

Besides, they charge by the player. So a mantle will cost twice as much as a ripken jr. which is wrong. it's the same process, it should be the same price. they base it on the potential value of the item, that is wrong!

I will never go to JSA again.
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tim

I have posted here countless times about how I had Teddy Ballgame sign two balls for me IN PERSON and both PSA and James Spence said it was fake. I will never pay to get something authenticated again.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tim-

Your story about your Williams baseballs is the reason I'm not getting some of my baseballs authenticated. I had some good luck this year with through the mail signatures (Mariano Rivera, Tony Gwynn, Evan Longoria, Matt Cain, Dale Murphy, etc) and I don't want to pay someone to tell me they are fake.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

thanks for the opinions guys. the items i might purchase are signed by Tomlinson.. and include a jsa coa... but after reading some of your posts and what i've found online, i guess it doesn't really matter. i guess ill just try to get the guy to send me a pic of it and use my best judgement.

crash - for tony gwynn's sig, did you send it to sdsu? was it recently?
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

For all the authentication services, of course it's just an educated guess. So there will be plenty of questionable items from all the major companies, I know I have seen a LOT of GAI items I would not touch. But JSA and PSA are the two most trusted companies, and you will always be able to sell items authenticated by them as real, so I have no problem buying either. I will note that in the past year or so I have seen an increase in PSA items that seem questionable to me, so I will only buy the item if it doesn't set off my spidey-sense.

If you absolutely want to be sure an item is authentic, buy from a company that has a contract with the athletes... UDA, Tristar, etc.

Also, note that if the JSA certificate number starts with a W, then someone from JSA witnessed the signing (as opposed to rendering an opinion on a previously autographed item), so you can be pretty sure the autograph is real. The past couple of months I have been buying several of these items. Even the COA is different (has Witnessed Protection Program at the top, only has words on it versus a collage of pictures on the left hand side), so you can tell from pictures on ebay without seeing the actual number whether or not it falls under this program.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
crash - for tony gwynn's sig, did you send it to sdsu? was it recently?
Yeah, I sent it directly to SDSU. I sent it in the very early spring before the season there got into full swing. I think I got it back in less than 3 weeks so I was pretty happy. Signature looks 100% authentic (unlike the Matt Holliday ball I got back last week that looks nothing like his signature on Topps and UD stuff) and he even inscribed it with 07 HOF.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

A friend of mine just bought a hobby shop from someone else and the purchase included autographed pictures of some of the old timers
( williams etc ) as well as some newer players. He had Spence come to the store to authenticate his pictures as well as customers pics. Spence claimed that the majority were not authentic. Glad it was his store and not mine.
sammyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

One other Note JSA Authentication AKA Jimmey Spence Started PSA Authentication Got into a pissing match with his partner then jimmey went on his own.. He does know what he is doing, But you give them something and all they do is compare with other sigs they have.. There are a few big company's doing alot of bogus sigs on stuff and if one comes by him he will tell you its fake and tell you the company that forges these. Anyway's its always a gamble..