Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #51 (permalink)

Don't send Pennington here to Miami. I'd rather see Henning & Beck work through this year then get another 2nd hand injurie prone QB. I have watched it enough to know it won't work out
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #52 (permalink)

You mean Henne, right!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #53 (permalink)

I bet you the Giants don't even sniff the playoffs this year.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
Well you can give 1 loss to the Giants from the Rams!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #55 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Honestly the trade makes a lot of sense for the conditional part of it, the jets are giving up good value no matter what. If we make the playoffs farve takes 70 percent of snaps 2nd rounder, 80 percent and super bowl 1st. fine with me either way. Now will either happen well see. However keep in mind 2 major things.

First - the jets 6 major needs this offseason
1) Offensive Line - Add Alen Fanaca and Woody. This will give a center to left tackle a lineup of mangold fanaca and dbrick. If you watch last year dbrick was not effective because he shifted in so much because the left guard...sucked. Fanaca will not only make the line better, but also make dbrick and mangold who are still devloping and have massive talent much better. Woody who has talent should be a upgrade at right tackle. Also of note the addition of tony richardson, although he is not on the line he is a major force in the run blocking scheme and a top fullback in the league.

2) A quarterback - Now Farve does have some things going vs him, hes old. But he has a 20 year old arm, not to mention he is durable. The main thing is with the o line and (hopefully) improved run offense it will spread the field and the playbook giving both open looks at the running game with less guys in the box. Pennington was good but you could put 11 guys within the first 20 yards and not worry about anything.

3) A improved pash rush. Now there were 2 major adds this offseason, Ghoston and Calivin pace. Pace impresses me with what hes able to do and last year was the first year the numbers went side by side with talent. Did the Jets overpay? Most likly, all free agents do. Ghoston was a beast, I saw the game last night he had a bunch of good reactions on the field and seems to have a good feel of the game, did not pressure the qb once but keep in mind the big difference between the college and pro pass rush is one move wont work everytime. Ghoston was great with the swim technique in college and is going to have to devlop more to become solid in the nfl. Although, this will help much.

4) De Line - Now Pace and Ghoston have been slated as olb, however dont be alarmed if you see either as a hybrid pass rusher on 3rd downs as a de lineman. However the big addition here is Kris Jenkins. I loved Robinson, but hes suited for a 4-3 not a 3-4, I wish him luck in Denver. His replacement Jenkins is a great run blocker can take a guard and center and push them back. If that is possible it will increase the pass rush and make teams run less down the middle which opens up run blitz options and various de line moves. Where Dwane was being pushed back often and we had to compensate with our linebackers (anyone see vilma get pushed everywhere) thats because whas more suited for a 4-3 however his replacement, Davis Harris thrived in the system and with Jenkins infront of him should continue to improve.

5) WR - Now we didn't add anyone that was noticeable, however various names were brought up. First I'd like to point out Chanci Stucky who was a steal of a pick last year b/c he was hurt. He is a great possession reciever. Brad smith who was a workhorse last offseason knows the offense inside and out and with farve his talents (and speed) could be better used. However, the additions on tight end bring a lot of promise. I liked seeing baker play last night - so hopefully we are good and we can do something for him (i think he will be happy with the add of farve as well) Franks is a nice add and has a great history with our QB now and Keller looks like a Dallas Clark type of game changing Slot TE/WR type of guy. However, coles brings health concerns/age and cotchery had his first good year, he is going to have to adjust for farve as well. We will see how it meshes.

6) Cornerback - Revis was a GREAT pickup last year. However 2 things hurt us in our secondary 1) depth 2) injuries. Justin Miller was out hard last year and that hurt our depth and took out a good #3 corner. He still has to devlop his skills to be a #2. Poteat, Coleman, Lowery and Barret healthy give good depth to the position for packages. Lowery has great potential and is a Samuel-esqe ball hog (watch his college film, not just his highlights) He will make a huge play then give up a big play. He needs to improve his strength to become a #2 but he has massive upside. Miller and Barret in my eyes are #3's and need to step up so this is my biggest ? this year.

Overall though - I feel this offseason shored up these positions fairly well.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #56 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
I agree in part with this HJ. I think they might be a wild card team at best.

I don't care what happened last year, that team won in spite of Eli, not because of him. The kid is just not a great QB and I have a feeling that this year will be a fall back down to earth season for him and the G'Men.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #57 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Quote:
Yeah just like they were supposed to go 4-12 last year.......Look out that prediction turned out.....
Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #58 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstore View Post
Honestly the trade makes a lot of sense for the conditional part of it, the jets are giving up good value no matter what. If we make the playoffs farve takes 70 percent of snaps 2nd rounder, 80 percent and super bowl 1st. fine with me either way. Now will either happen well see. However keep in mind 2 major things.

First - the jets 6 major needs this offseason
1) Offensive Line - Add Alen Fanaca and Woody. This will give a center to left tackle a lineup of mangold fanaca and dbrick. If you watch last year dbrick was not effective because he shifted in so much because the left guard...sucked. Fanaca will not only make the line better, but also make dbrick and mangold who are still devloping and have massive talent much better. Woody who has talent should be a upgrade at right tackle. Also of note the addition of tony richardson, although he is not on the line he is a major force in the run blocking scheme and a top fullback in the league.

2) A quarterback - Now Farve does have some things going vs him, hes old. But he has a 20 year old arm, not to mention he is durable. The main thing is with the o line and (hopefully) improved run offense it will spread the field and the playbook giving both open looks at the running game with less guys in the box. Pennington was good but you could put 11 guys within the first 20 yards and not worry about anything.

3) A improved pash rush. Now there were 2 major adds this offseason, Ghoston and Calivin pace. Pace impresses me with what hes able to do and last year was the first year the numbers went side by side with talent. Did the Jets overpay? Most likly, all free agents do. Ghoston was a beast, I saw the game last night he had a bunch of good reactions on the field and seems to have a good feel of the game, did not pressure the qb once but keep in mind the big difference between the college and pro pass rush is one move wont work everytime. Ghoston was great with the swim technique in college and is going to have to devlop more to become solid in the nfl. Although, this will help much.

4) De Line - Now Pace and Ghoston have been slated as olb, however dont be alarmed if you see either as a hybrid pass rusher on 3rd downs as a de lineman. However the big addition here is Kris Jenkins. I loved Robinson, but hes suited for a 4-3 not a 3-4, I wish him luck in Denver. His replacement Jenkins is a great run blocker can take a guard and center and push them back. If that is possible it will increase the pass rush and make teams run less down the middle which opens up run blitz options and various de line moves. Where Dwane was being pushed back often and we had to compensate with our linebackers (anyone see vilma get pushed everywhere) thats because whas more suited for a 4-3 however his replacement, Davis Harris thrived in the system and with Jenkins infront of him should continue to improve.

5) WR - Now we didn't add anyone that was noticeable, however various names were brought up. First I'd like to point out Chanci Stucky who was a steal of a pick last year b/c he was hurt. He is a great possession reciever. Brad smith who was a workhorse last offseason knows the offense inside and out and with farve his talents (and speed) could be better used. However, the additions on tight end bring a lot of promise. I liked seeing baker play last night - so hopefully we are good and we can do something for him (i think he will be happy with the add of farve as well) Franks is a nice add and has a great history with our QB now and Keller looks like a Dallas Clark type of game changing Slot TE/WR type of guy. However, coles brings health concerns/age and cotchery had his first good year, he is going to have to adjust for farve as well. We will see how it meshes.

6) Cornerback - Revis was a GREAT pickup last year. However 2 things hurt us in our secondary 1) depth 2) injuries. Justin Miller was out hard last year and that hurt our depth and took out a good #3 corner. He still has to devlop his skills to be a #2. Poteat, Coleman, Lowery and Barret healthy give good depth to the position for packages. Lowery has great potential and is a Samuel-esqe ball hog (watch his college film, not just his highlights) He will make a huge play then give up a big play. He needs to improve his strength to become a #2 but he has massive upside. Miller and Barret in my eyes are #3's and need to step up so this is my biggest ? this year.

Overall though - I feel this offseason shored up these positions fairly well.
Im all for Stuckey being a good WR, I have some nice GU autos of his from Threads......
Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #59 (permalink)

What a bout the other Brett last night for the Jets!!! 2 TD passes(1 for 70 yards, the other for 71) & 250+ yards....the day Favre shows up........huh??? He may be 2nd string and Clemens will be 3rd string.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #60 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Quote:
What a bout the other Brett last night for the Jets!!! 2 TD passes(1 for 70 yards, the other for 71) & 250+ yards....the day Favre shows up........huh??? He may be 2nd string and Clemens will be 3rd string.
yeah he looked strong, actully it seems like hes been strong all camp from the sounds of it - most likly gonna take the 3 slot but I like what he offers. Makes me wonder if we could have taken a better pick though in the draft instead of taking a qb... then again we didnt have farve then either and pennington always gets hurt
Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #61 (permalink)

Looks like Chad will be in Miami. Oh well. Another winning season
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote