Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Does TCU deserve a piece of the National Title?
Yes 46 50.00%
No 46 50.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does TCU deserve a piece of the National Title?

After winning Rose bowl, TCU Horned Frogs deserve piece of national title - College Football News | FOX Sports on MSN
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

If Auburn beats Oregon I say no way. Their schedules weren't even close competition wise. Very impressed with TCU beating a very good Wisconsin team and I think they can play with anyone but I wouldn't give them a share if Auburn wins.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think Oregon and Auburn were rightly 1 and 2 this year. Winner of their Bowl game will be National Champions, period...
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
If Auburn beats Oregon I say no way. Their schedules weren't even close competition wise. Very impressed with TCU beating a very good Wisconsin team and I think they can play with anyone but I wouldn't give them a share if Auburn wins.
But if Oregon wins you would??

The system is in place for a reason..TCU will be Number 2 after one of them loses and thats it. Yes they lost a game this year but in college they go off the computers rating and the polls now if everyone wants to vote for them to be number 1 in the final poll then we might have a problem lol
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
But if Oregon wins you would??
No, same deal. I just happen to think Auburn wins.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is why they play the games. While I respect TCU, Wisconsin barely beat ASU at home and ASU was easily the bottom half of the Pac 10. With that said, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oregon & Auburn would all beat TCU.

The only like opponent for TCU and Standford was Oregon State. The Beavers played TCU pretty tough, while against Stanford they couldn't even score, or move the ball for that matter.

Again, that is why they play the games.

Last edited by SacGWYNN19; 01-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

TCU can play with anyone this year, they just proved it in the Rose Bowl. I'm sure they would have given OU a much better game than UConn did. All that comparable opponents stuff is nonsense because it really doesn't mean crap. The only reason I don't think they deserve a share of the title is because Auburn (or Oregon) had a harder road to going unbeaten than TCU.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
That is why they play the games. While I respect TCU, Wisconsin barely beat ASU at home and ASU was easily the bottom half of the Pac 10. With that said, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oregon & Auburn would all beat TCU.

Again, that is why they play the games.
And Oklahoma squaked by Utah State, a 4-win team, at home. Wisconsin deserved to be where they were, especially with what they did down the stretch. Wisconsin rolled through a very good Big Ten Conference, minus the game against Iowa, but I'm guessing with their bowl performances that means the rest of the Big Ten was a joke right? (BTW go figure Iowa, the team who lost three in a row to end their season, wins their bowl game). So TCU's victory wasn't over an overrated team.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

NO way, did you see what alabama did to the team that beat Wisconsin, it was like men amongst little boys, no way TCU could stay on the same field with auburn or even alabama and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as any top ranked SEC program.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Big 10 should retire...wow. How pathetic has their bowl season been. Even their new arrival(Nebraska) for next year got beat by a team that was a 14 point dog.

Bam, I agree you can't make comparisons but sometimes that is all we have to discuss. TCU was in a tie game w/ OSU w/ less than a minute to go in the 3rd quarter. OSU didn't even get in the red zone against Stanford.

BCS knew TCU would get run by Standford or Oklahoma and wouldn't want to embarrass the small school/system. Just another reason for a playoff system so we wouldn't have these discussions/arguments.

As far as Stanford goes, I'd put them up against anyone in the nation as they were easily playing the best football at the end of the year. They were up by a TD at Oregon before the wheels fell off between turnovers and the refs.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

The whole BCS sh!t is messed up!!! TCU undefeated, ranked 3rd behind Oregon still no respect. Auburn will beat Oregon well cause PAC-10 sucks all the way around. Any undefeated NCAA 1A team should get a shot a the BSC title so maybe next year they can draw straws among the undefeated teams to see who goes for the Title......but this year SEC will bring it home once more
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

So far, 3:2 no. Interesting. Thanks for voting everyone. I also appreciate your comments...just wanted to see where folks stand on this.
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I voted yes. I find it hard to say that one team is better than another until they play them and beat them.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
BCS knew TCU would get run by Standford or Oklahoma and wouldn't want to embarrass the small school/system. Just another reason for a playoff system so we wouldn't have these discussions/arguments.
The BCS didn't care about embarrassing Boise St. when it put them against OU and we know how that turned out. I doubt OU would smack TCU like they did UConn. TCU would have smacked UConn as well IMO.

I agree with you about a playoff but it won't happen any time soon.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
The BCS didn't care about embarrassing Boise St. when it put them against OU and we know how that turned out. I doubt OU would smack TCU like they did UConn. TCU would have smacked UConn as well IMO.

I agree with you about a playoff but it won't happen any time soon.
UConn got lucky they even won that division anyways..no way were they going to do anything against OU...this is the same team that lost by 3 TDs to Michigan, 2 TD to freakin Temple, a FG to Rutgers and 4 TD to LOUSIVILLE!!

they just got lucky at the right time and beat WV by a FG in OT, thats the difference in the Big East title

WV didnt have a great year either, but at least their 3 losses were close (combined 14 points), one of those showed they could at least hang with a big time team (6 point loss to LSU)..not saying they wouldve beat OU, butit wouldve been a hell of a lot better game imo than UConn
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Auburn would roast TCU...not even close.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
Auburn would roast TCU...not even close.
And until we have a playoff, that will never be known

I collect 49ers, SF Giants, Nevada Alumni and Orlando Magic
Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to baseball9515

Big 10 is 0-5 in Bowl games. Seems like every year the big ten is getting slaughtered in Bowl games. Wisconsin wouldn't only lose 1 game playing in the SEC. I'm not saying Wisconsin is terrible but TCU didn't prove alot to me by beating them by knocking down a 2 point conversion at the end of the game. As for Oklahoma, not impressed with them either for beating UConn. You're talking about whats supposed to be a premier college team in America with a top recruiting class every year beating up Uconn from a weak Big East Conference. If Auburn wins they deserve it alone as they ran the gambit through what most would agree is the toughest conference in college football (and I'm an ACC fan) not to mention they beat last years National Championship team with essentially the same team. If Oregon wins well they deserve it alone from my perspective for beating Auburn (due to thier credability listed above) and beating the arguably best team in college football and finishing undefeated. TCU at best gets 2nd but also at worst 3rd in my book.

Realistically we'll never know, hopefully they will fix it one day to find a true winner.
baseball9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

To all of you voting no:

What if TCU had joined the Big East this season and then beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl? Does it really matter THAT much that TCU came from a non-AQ conference? I mean, they played better overall competition than the Big East could have offered this year and beat most of them handily. Would beating UConn, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pitt, et al, instead of Air Force, Utah, BYU, San Diego State, et al, make their undefeated record somehow more legitimate?

Anybody who thinks so wasn't paying attention to how lousy the Big East was this year.

And while the Big Ten was again overrated this year, few people gave TCU a legitimate chance to win the Rose Bowl, with most saying Wisconsin was going to run the ball and score at will. People mostly ignored the fact that TCU was only allowing 11.4 points a game and had the best statistical defense in college football.

In fact, TCU gave up 20+ points only 3 times this season and never scored less than 27 prior to the Rose Bowl. And now, after the game, ask Wisconsin if they think TCU should be compared favorably against the BCS Championship Game winner. Little Sister of the Poor, indeed...

Granted, Auburn has Vince Young 2.0...er, Cam Newton, and Oregon plays "Flash Offense." But neither team has played TCU's defense, and unless you play the games, you'll never know who would win.

Untill there's a playoff system in place, the only thing teams can do is beat the competition laid out before them and TCU did that. The only other FBS team that will be able to say the same will be the Auburn/Oregon winner. So explain again why a clearly elite TCU team should be ignored when they've accomplished exactly the same thing as Auburn or Oregon.
brado8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm not a TCU fan, I'll start with that, but first, what was the deal with the rose bowl? I'm a PAC-10 fan, and the rose bowl has always been big 10 PAC 10, (except like 1 time, but I'm too tired to pull up reference) Did the BCS say anything about "changing it up?" I don't think TCU could beat Oregon or Auburn (even though I'm prob. gonna get blasted for this... here goes) Honestly, I don't think Auburn will beat Oregon, and even though he's good, I think Newton is a black eye to the SEC and NCAA. You mean to tell me your dad solicited you and you didn't know a thing about it? Not one thing about any $100,000? C'mon people? I don't have a "close" relationship with my dad and I know if something like that was going on, I would know about it. While I think that with all the money the NCAA makes off these kids, they should be able to do something for them (well I guess they do with like a $70,000 degree) but the lying and B.$. just soured me on the kid. In the end to quote just about everyone, I guess we'll never know who woulda, but we'll sure fight on who shoulda. BTW, that was all opinion and if you like Auburn and TCU, I'm happy for you, I just don't and thats it.
WhenIsaySEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

I would just like Tcu to have a chance to play the winner of Oregon/Auburn.But with the BCS system someone is always going to complain they were left out.And even if there was a playoff system, lets say top 8 play it out, then #9 is gonna complain they were left out. Its a no win situation. Someone is always gonna be on the outside looking in.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs View Post
And until we have a playoff, that will never be known
That is true, would love to see it happen. But if you come back albeit with some luck from 21 down to Bama at their house and win it is tough to argue against them. Auburn I think will beat Oregon by at least 14 points if not more.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball9515 View Post
Big 10 is 0-5 in Bowl games. Seems like every year the big ten is getting slaughtered in Bowl games. Wisconsin wouldn't only lose 1 game playing in the SEC. I'm not saying Wisconsin is terrible but TCU didn't prove alot to me by beating them by knocking down a 2 point conversion at the end of the game. As for Oklahoma, not impressed with them either for beating UConn. You're talking about whats supposed to be a premier college team in America with a top recruiting class every year beating up Uconn from a weak Big East Conference. If Auburn wins they deserve it alone as they ran the gambit through what most would agree is the toughest conference in college football (and I'm an ACC fan) not to mention they beat last years National Championship team with essentially the same team. If Oregon wins well they deserve it alone from my perspective for beating Auburn (due to thier credability listed above) and beating the arguably best team in college football and finishing undefeated. TCU at best gets 2nd but also at worst 3rd in my book.

Realistically we'll never know, hopefully they will fix it one day to find a true winner.
Did Iowa and Illinois change conferences? 0-5 Not quite accurate.

Wow, Stanford. Wow, nobody would have beat them in any bowl game. Period. And this is coming from a Cal fan
Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to baseball9515

Quote:
Did Iowa and Illinois change conferences? 0-5 Not quite accurate.
Yes you are correct , what I meant to say was 0-5 on January 1....games which tend to be some of the better bowl games between supposed better teams, and have everyones attention for New Years day.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Before we rag on the big 10 let's just wait and see how the best team from that conference fairs tonight.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote