Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 star looks great, and may be a hit, but.....

Topps really dropped the ball. There seems to be a lot of bang for your buck, but no base set? Everything in this product is an insert set. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Exquisite, but, Exquisite had a base set. In this product, you can get Sam Bradford /150 auto, and a /100 (or less), I'm guessing /25 or /50, auto Patch.... This takes away from the true RC feel.

Not to mention, 5 star yields more autographs and jersey/patches than all previous releases of exquisite. IMO it had a chance to be better...

All in all, I like the looks of it, but would've LOVED it with a base set.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Axe

couldnt agree more, every set must have a base set, no matter how high end it is.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

I actually applaud Topps for this. Who cares about a base set? I didnt pay 500 bucks for this box for base cards. I want high end autos and patches.

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

yeah if ditching the base set allowed them to pay more for autos in the slightest, bye bye base set for me.
caustexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

In this product, you can get Sam Bradford /150 auto, and a /100 (or less), I'm guessing /25 or /50, auto Patch.... This takes away from the true RC feel.

Agree 100% oversaturation is never a good thing.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
Topps really dropped the ball. There seems to be a lot of bang for your buck, but no base set? Everything in this product is an insert set. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Exquisite, but, Exquisite had a base set. In this product, you can get Sam Bradford /150 auto, and a /100 (or less), I'm guessing /25 or /50, auto Patch.... This takes away from the true RC feel.

Not to mention, 5 star yields more autographs and jersey/patches than all previous releases of exquisite. IMO it had a chance to be better...

All in all, I like the looks of it, but would've LOVED it with a base set.
While I would agree with you, it seems like most people are now only going for the GU or Auto cards. I have quite a few "retro" Rookie cards, and don't get any interest in them via a trade, because they aren't GU or Auto.

Sad to say, but there isn't much love for a "standard/base" Rookie Card anymore.
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Personally, I couldn't care less for base cards. I pretty much look at base cards as just filler so I'm not just opening one pack of cards to get my 2 jerseys and an auto per box. I do prefer something like Certifieds format where it's 10 packs with 5 or 6 packs have base and an insert (usually) and the rest having a "hit" but if I'm busting high end (which I've never done and don't have the sack to ever try) I would rather just get hits.
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Late to respond to this... but just remember, base card doesn't necessarily mean junk non #'d non auto'd nonsense. In Exquisite, Lebron James Auto Rookie Patch /99 was a base card.... Thats what I was getting at by true RC base.. Believe you me, people will definitely care, as these cards of rookies won't sell near the price Exquisite RCs or National Treasures RCs from previous years have sold for.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think if Topps wants to push this product over the top, they would include an extra "hit" per box. Similar to Contenders. I think that would push the product up and may even convince me to pick one up.
jubei777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I'm sure 5 Star, like most high end stuff, will have a ton of "hits" people would have rather had a low numbered veteran base card in place of (especially look at the rookie heavy checklist). For ultra high end stuff base cards can often be better than the autos or game used. The 08 Exquisite AP base were selling for $200 at one point. I sold a bunch of base cards for more than those stupid Super Swatch cards the product was flooded with.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
Well, I'm sure 5 Star, like most high end stuff, will have a ton of "hits" people would have rather had a low numbered veteran base card in place of (especially look at the rookie heavy checklist). For ultra high end stuff base cards can often be better than the autos or game used. The 08 Exquisite AP base were selling for $200 at one point. I sold a bunch of base cards for more than those stupid Super Swatch cards the product was flooded with.
Agree, last year's Exquisite Favre base card still get over $50! Personally though, I could care less about the base set and would prefer the extra "on-card" auto!

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/zz97/natesQuest4cards/
vikingsordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapi1049 View Post
I actually applaud Topps for this. Who cares about a base set? I didnt pay 500 bucks for this box for base cards. I want high end autos and patches.
Cannot agree more, 500 a box, I want high end period.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
I think if Topps wants to push this product over the top, they would include an extra "hit" per box. Similar to Contenders. I think that would push the product up and may even convince me to pick one up.
I think you are right. It seems like adding extra hits does well for a product. 09-10 NT NBA has an extra 4 cards per box. 10-11 Prestige NBA had 2 extra hits per box. 2010 Contenders Football has 5 auto's per box instead of the published 4.

I also like the idea of no base cards. If the hits coming out of 5* are total bad ass, that is what is going to make this product popular, not base cards. There are plenty of high end products with base cards. It's nice to see one without it.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

My worry

and i might be wrong

But did they say every auto is on card????

If so there will not be those high end dual triple quad autos

like in supreme

hope im wrong
NEED A 2011 ALLEN GINTER MINI SET
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
My worry

and i might be wrong

like in supreme

hope im wrong
Why do you say that? They could just have each player sign the triple auto card when they came in to sign the rest. I don't think getting a triple signed is any harder than getting 3 players to sign their individual cards.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
My worry

and i might be wrong

like in supreme

hope im wrong
Sell sheet, and all advertising, and everything I've seen published by Topps, it all says ALL ON CARD AUTO'S. That is what is expected. No doubt about it. If they don't delivery that, that would be a huge downer. Debbie downer. Wha wha wha whaaaaaa.....
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

All cards will be on card autos. Also, you get either one booklet or multi-auto card per box! That tells me then that, yes, there will be on-card multi-auto's!

http://s817.photobucket.com/albums/zz97/natesQuest4cards/
vikingsordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm just concerned about redemptions. It will very disappointing if I can never see the actual card that was advertised or stated on the redemption.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Without a base set, there will not be a "True" rookie auto, which is usually the most valuable card of the best rookie out of high end sets.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rogersdad Send a message via Yahoo to rogersdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
Without a base set, there will not be a "True" rookie auto, which is usually the most valuable card of the best rookie out of high end sets.
Most likely the regular autos with no patch will be the TRUE rc auto.
My Site:
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/KAV2005/AUTOGRAPHS-GAME%20USED/
rogersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

well, hopefully they number the rookies as if it's a base version.
Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less for base cards. I pretty much look at base cards as just filler so I'm not just opening one pack of cards to get my 2 jerseys and an auto per box. I do prefer something like Certifieds format where it's 10 packs with 5 or 6 packs have base and an insert (usually) and the rest having a "hit" but if I'm busting high end (which I've never done and don't have the sack to ever try) I would rather just get hits.
If their where no base cards then all of those "hits" your refering to would become the new base card. I myself enjoy pulling colred refractors and serially #'d base along with my hits. as far as 5 star i dont care about the base but it seems your refering to all products in general?

Last edited by ColtsCrush86; 02-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.
ColtsCrush86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

While Topps stole the name from Press Pass they weren't smart enough to steal the limited base card concept as well. When Press Pass made their 5 Star Racing they included a base card that was #'d /35 and they did well on the flip with people chasing. Wouldn't of killed them to have the same number of hits and one low numbered base card thrown in for the set builders. Would have added value to the box IMO as it did in the original 5 Star product.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

I feel that there really is a base set here. As someone stated above, it is the Five Star Futures Autograph set which IMO is going to be the true rookie card from 5 star. Now what is missing is the veterans from the base set. The problem would be the price they would have to charge us to get a 100 or even 50 card veteran base set if they are considering the plain auto card a base. Plus really how many set's veteran base cards sell for more than a couple of bucks? And those really are only the Favres, Petersons and Rodgers. Most are stuck in a commons box never to be seen again...
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote