Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Check out this Cam Newton Sketch Card

It seems panini will be releasing sketch cards like what topps did last year ... look how ugly the sketches will look like again ...

this pic was taken during Cam Newton's signing with Panini

Beckett Football NFL PLAYERS Rookie Premiere Q&A: Carolina Panthers QB Cam Newton |

these companies are just basically doing the same crap of stuff year in year out . And with their exclusive deals it takes away valuable pulls out of each product .
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice stick figure! These things are so easily ridiculed for sucking. But its like the fat kid Thurman in Bad Santa when he made the pickle and it looked like a turd. What do you expect? I hate them and would never allow one in my PC.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I dont understand why people keep bashing the sketch cards. I'm not a huge fan of them personally but would LOVE to pull one because they sell really well. I like the idea since they're usually pretty unique (even when they're terrible, they sure are fun to make fun of!) and they haven't flooded the market with them (yet!). Take a look at these auctions

2010 Topps DEZ BRYANT Authentic Sketch Card AUTO RC 1/1 | eBay

Terrible sketch but it's an autographed 1/1 regardless

PLAYER SKETCH CARD AUTO Jordan Shipley 1/1 Bengals | eBay

Same thing here!

The sketches might be really terrible most the time but give me a sketch card over a lame event worn jersey card any day! As far as resell value goes, these sell great!
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreed2 View Post
I dont understand why people keep bashing the sketch cards. I'm not a huge fan of them personally but would LOVE to pull one because they sell really well. I like the idea since they're usually pretty unique (even when they're terrible, they sure are fun to make fun of!) and they haven't flooded the market with them (yet!). Take a look at these auctions

2010 Topps DEZ BRYANT Authentic Sketch Card AUTO RC 1/1 | eBay

Terrible sketch but it's an autographed 1/1 regardless

PLAYER SKETCH CARD AUTO Jordan Shipley 1/1 Bengals | eBay

Same thing here!

The sketches might be really terrible most the time but give me a sketch card over a lame event worn jersey card any day! As far as resell value goes, these sell great!

I posted they are ugly that simple

you agreed they are ugly too

basically thats the point there could be other means to release something that will be a hit to the consumers rather than recycling an idea that has been used by a rival company

for people who buys stuff to profit out of the hobby then like what you said it will be great for them . but to others they are not
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post

basically thats the point there could be other means to release something that will be a hit to the consumers rather than recycling an idea that has been used by a rival company

for people who buys stuff to profit out of the hobby then like what you said it will be great for them . but to others they are not
Damm Dez has the WORST Auto I ever saw and it looks like his drawing is the same, I cant say which one is better his Auto or his Drawing.
EmtinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeh it would be nice to pull one and make money of a crappy player made drawing stamped 1/1...

What will they think of next
grosbisous11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey cheated and copied Locker, then stole Gabbert's.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post

I didn't say you were bashing sketch cards (which is why I didn't quote you) I was just talking in general terms. I think that pulling a sketch card would be great for anybody (assuming they hold their value). If you're just looking to make a profit then they sell well and you will probably make some coin. If you're a true collector then you could sell the card and have a nice chunk of change to buy something for your PC (if you're a true collector than odds are you don't want one of these in your PC ). I don't think "recycling an idea that has been used by a rival company" is necessarily a bad thing, if that was the case then you can say almost any autograph or jersey card would just be a recycled idea. My whole point was just that yes the sketch cards are usually terrible, yes they usually look pretty ugly, yes most collectors aren't big fans of them but yes they are pretty valuable and when push comes to shove for 99% of the people out there, value is what you want out of a box.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

They have a professional artist do a sketch, have the artist sign the back, then have the player sign and inscribe the front. Personally, I would much rather have that than a stick figure the player drew.
jamuser304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuser304 View Post
They have a professional artist do a sketch, have the artist sign the back, then have the player sign and inscribe the front. Personally, I would much rather have that than a stick figure the player drew.
Ding Ding Ding. That I would buy. Actually I did buy something like this for my PC. One of the only nice paintings in Chicle and Olsen is a PC guy for me.

I framed it up and in the end it all cost me under a hundo. Or in this case less than these sketch cards.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

So what if the guy can't draw? It's just something fun to do.

Do you complain when you get an autograph from a big name player that looks like crap?
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

Do you complain when you get an autograph from a big name player that looks like crap?
Yes. People complained about Dez Bryant changing up his signature for National Treasures. It wasn't that much of a difference, but it was noticeable. It doesn't matter if the player is big or small, if something looks like crap, people will complain.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I really like this idea actually, even have the artist sign the front. They did something similar a while back for a product called Topps Gallery I believe.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

Do I complain if I get a sloppy autograph? No why would I? Its the autograph of a pro football player. Pro autographs have been the name of the game since cards came out. Kids would try to get their old Bowman cards signed by the players on them.
With that said making a NON ARTIST draw a picture, to me is stupid and has nothing to do with football what-so-ever. And since these are players NOT artists they mostly look like shat. The only reason they sell for what they do, beyond the novelty factor, is that they are 1/1's AND autographed. If they made each player draw 500 cards and not sign them, they would sell for brent woodside sketch money. Peanuts.

Thats just shows people are buying them since they are rare and a gimmick. Just like printing plates when they 1st came out. Look at them now.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't mind the stick figures, not everyone is a great artist. What bothers me is this quote from the article:

Do you have any idea what you’re cards are worth right now?
I thought you were gonna tell me…”
It’s a lot.
“For real? What’s a lot?”
I think one just sold for about $350.
“Whoo! Heck no! Quite frankly, I’m about to doggone renegotiate my contract with Panini. For real, it’s something that every kid dreams about. I was just wiling to see myself on Sports Illustrated. Now I have the opportunity to see myself on a card? On posters? That’s cool. That’s crazy.”

Now I know he is (supposedly) joking around with the reporter, but I think it really shows real insight on how professional athletes think...
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post
I don't mind the stick figures, not everyone is a great artist. What bothers me is this quote from the article:

Do you have any idea what you’re cards are worth right now?
I thought you were gonna tell me…”
It’s a lot.
“For real? What’s a lot?”
I think one just sold for about $350.
“Whoo! Heck no! Quite frankly, I’m about to doggone renegotiate my contract with Panini. For real, it’s something that every kid dreams about. I was just wiling to see myself on Sports Illustrated. Now I have the opportunity to see myself on a card? On posters? That’s cool. That’s crazy.”

Now I know he is (supposedly) joking around with the reporter, but I think it really shows real insight on how professional athletes think...
I read a Beckett article where they interviewed Larry Fitzgerald. They asked him if he preferred signing cards or stickers. Larry said cards and asked what the stickers were for. Beckett said they put them on cards and Larry was floored. He said he always wondered about that.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

As the number one pick, he is probably getting at least $20 an autograph from Panini. Derrick Rose was getting $25 an autograph from Topps, Tracy Mcgrady was getting $50, and Brandon Roy was getting $18. I don't think $20 is out of the question for Newton, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to $25-30. But even if he got $20 per signature, that is the easiest money he will make for 3 seconds of his time, and the ability to do it in his free time (which he has plenty of right now). With that said, he has no right to even joke. He will probably sign at least 10,000 autographs for Topps and Panini this year. At $20 a pop, he is looking at $200k.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Do I complain if I get a sloppy autograph? No why would I? Its the autograph of a pro football player. Pro autographs have been the name of the game since cards came out. Kids would try to get their old Bowman cards signed by the players on them.
With that said making a NON ARTIST draw a picture, to me is stupid and has nothing to do with football what-so-ever. And since these are players NOT artists they mostly look like shat. The only reason they sell for what they do, beyond the novelty factor, is that they are 1/1's AND autographed. If they made each player draw 500 cards and not sign them, they would sell for brent woodside sketch money. Peanuts.

Thats just shows people are buying them since they are rare and a gimmick. Just like printing plates when they 1st came out. Look at them now.
I see your points. As a player collector, I think it's a neat addition to my collection.

Look at the Topps "Happy 60th" cards. Seriously, does anyone really care that the players are wishing Topps a Happy Birthday except for Topps? Nope, but it does make a unique collectible and that's what it's all about.

A lot of celebrities will donate "artwork" that usually consists of a smiley face (or worse) to charities that auction them off. Love it or hate it, as a collectible there's a market for it.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
As the number one pick, he is probably getting at least $20 an autograph from Panini. Derrick Rose was getting $25 an autograph from Topps, Tracy Mcgrady was getting $50, and Brandon Roy was getting $18. I don't think $20 is out of the question for Newton, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to $25-30. But even if he got $20 per signature, that is the easiest money he will make for 3 seconds of his time, and the ability to do it in his free time (which he has plenty of right now). With that said, he has no right to even joke. He will probably sign at least 10,000 autographs for Topps and Panini this year. At $20 a pop, he is looking at $200k.
i heard he was asking for a hundo a sticker

just what i heard
gussiethebussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussiethebussie View Post
i heard he was asking for a hundo a sticker

just what i heard
I seriously doubt he got that. I know Mcgrady was getting paid $50 at the peak of his career, and Rose was getting $25 his rookie season. Newton is probably getting around the same as Rose since they were both number one picks. Newton might ask for $100 for in person appearances, but since cards and stickers can be signed at home in their free time, no company would be willing to shell out that price. Hell, I think Michael Jordan gets $300 an autograph, and he is arguably one of the most well known and followed sports stars there is
Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Fleurycup09

Im not into the sketch/painting card/sets. Im a hockey collector and remember when they did the Artistic Impressions set. One of the most unappealing sets ever.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #22 (permalink)

I thought the tebow one was really cool where he drew out a play last year. Was that Panini? Van't remember.

I collect sketch cards as well and while an actual "sketch card" (IE Marvel, etc.) with crappy drawings suck, but stuff where athletes draw them is pretty cool IMO. Just as good as a signature (Its the same thing, an athlete using a marker to leave a mark) if not better in most cases where the "auto" is like 2 lines. My 2 cents.
evillittlejawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillittlejawa View Post
I thought the tebow one was really cool where he drew out a play last year. Was that Panini? Van't remember.

I collect sketch cards as well and while an actual "sketch card" (IE Marvel, etc.) with crappy drawings suck, but stuff where athletes draw them is pretty cool IMO. Just as good as a signature (Its the same thing, an athlete using a marker to leave a mark) if not better in most cases where the "auto" is like 2 lines. My 2 cents.
The Tebow sketch was from Topps last year. It sold for a pretty penny too if I remember correctly!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
The deals are MUUUUUUCH more lucrative in the NFL for the top rookies. Matt Ryan's was absolutely comical it was so high.

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson

Last edited by deltapi1049; 06-06-2011 at 11:21 AM.
deltapi1049 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapi1049 View Post
The deals are MUUUUUUCH more lucrative in the NFL for the top rookies. Matt Ryan's was absolutely comical it was so high.
Not for rookies. Football might be the most popular sport to watch, but baseball and basketball are much more collectible world wide. Since football is an american based sport, the majority of buyers are from the US. Baseball and basketball are world wide, and pretty much doubles the appeal, especially in China and Japan. Never once will you see a 90's football insert numbered to 10 go for $9000. They regularly go for that if MJ is pictured on it, and guys like this fetch $150+.