Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raw card Review

Going to get this done at the Houston tri show for some of my PC. If some of them grade okay I'm going to get them slabbed. What's a good grade for exquisite? If not, should I just get them authenticated for the holder?
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

8.5 is ok for Exquisite, 9 is good for exquisite. Those thick card stocks are tough to get a 9.5 or better on. It can happen on the redemptions but highly unlikely for cards that came out of a box. Good Luck either way
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Depending on player 8.5 grade would be great I usally on all cards submit have minium of 9 to encase. 8.5 wont help value much as would be about worth same most cases as raw. I think to get cards rcr might be waste you going be ending up paying grading fee twice unless I wrong on this. I have ton of graded if need more info or have question regarding this feel free message me.
Neas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neas View Post
I think to get cards rcr might be waste you going be ending up paying grading fee twice unless I wrong on this. I have ton of graded if need more info or have question regarding this feel free message me.
I've never understood that either. I mean yeah you get an immediate "appraisal" on the grade yeah but that doesn't mean anything til it's sealed in a case IMO. Plus the extra fees as you mentioned.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think its worth it to do the RCR. If you are doing a few cards its only $6/card. This way you know the grades before you pay $10-$20/card (depending on the grading level). If you do the 5 day service level, its $21/card. So if you pay $6 for the RCR and only get an 8, you actually saved yourself $15.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the RCR review is used for a few things.

1. Ebayers looking to bump up the value of the card cheaply and quickly
2 People who are impatient but don't want to pay the fee for getting it fast.
3 If you have pretty good eye, you should able to tell the cards that will get good grades. Just bring them in and pay whatever service level and have them take the cards back to dallas and do their thing. Saves the shipping to them and the RCR grade.
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I think its worth it to do the RCR. If you are doing a few cards its only $6/card.
Okay I figured it was more expensive than that. The post ^^^^^ also makes some good points as to why RCR works too.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I think its worth it to do the RCR. If you are doing a few cards its only $6/card. This way you know the grades before you pay $10-$20/card (depending on the grading level). If you do the 5 day service level, its $21/card. So if you pay $6 for the RCR and only get an 8, you actually saved yourself $15.
Unless you are really new or completely missed something on the card most people should be able to pick out cards that would grade 8-10 pretty reliably. I have actually gotten it down to getting only 9 - 10 on the grades pretty reliably
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
This was my thinking.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post
Unless you are really new or completely missed something on the card most people should be able to pick out cards that would grade 8-10 pretty reliably. I have actually gotten it down to getting only 9 - 10 on the grades pretty reliably
I'm a newbie when it comes to grading. Willing to listen to advice on what to eyeball for on 2007 exquisites b4 sending them out.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0bull View Post
I'm a newbie when it comes to grading. Willing to listen to advice on what to eyeball for on 2007 exquisites b4 sending them out.
Most people worrying about the grade are planning on selling in the future. Now obviously you might, but right now you are grading PC cards which I assume you plan on keeping no matter the grade. I would go to the show register your cards for 10 grading service, pay and wait. Even if one of the cards comes back as a 7 or something, you can still bust em out and sell them raw again. Once your cards are safely in the hands of the Beckett folks (who are usually pretty nice to talk to), go wonder the show and drool over all the stuff you want to by but can't afford (at lease I can't). That would be my suggestion, you can take it or leave it
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

2007 Exquisite are tough to grade being with them being black borderd most have alot spec of white and chipping. I have submited handful of 2007 Exquisite so far none come back meeting my minium of 9 grade.
Neas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

that's why i refuse to buy Exquisite unless it's graded
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Most people worrying about the grade are planning on selling in the future. Now obviously you might, but right now you are grading PC cards which I assume you plan on keeping no matter the grade. I would go to the show register your cards for 10 grading service, pay and wait. Even if one of the cards comes back as a 7 or something, you can still bust em out and sell them raw again. Once your cards are safely in the hands of the Beckett folks (who are usually pretty nice to talk to), go wonder the show and drool over all the stuff you want to by but can't afford (at lease I can't). That would be my suggestion, you can take it or leave it
I'm going to probably sell some (depending on the grade) but keep most of them for PC. What does it mean to register my card for 10 grading service? How long is the wait for that usually?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm going to probably sell some (depending on the grade) but keep most of them for PC. What does it mean to register my card for 10 grading service? How long is the wait for that usually?
Sorry that was supposed to be 10 day service. Here is a link to beckett's site that lists the grading levels Beckett Media LP
Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry that was supposed to be 10 day service. Here is a link to beckett's site that lists the grading levels Beckett Media LP

Cool. Thanks for the advice. Do you think it might influence the grader to be more generous on the RCR if my intention was to slab only for the one's that got good grades?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Do you think it might influence the grader to be more generous on the RCR if my intention was to slab only for the one's that got good grades?
Nope, they see it all the time. and quite honestly they already made a ton of money on the RCR grading buy itself. I mean it is basically some guy with a jewelers loop and a bright light looking at your cards. and sticking them in a check card saver 1 with a sticker over the end. Certainly low parts costs...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyone who collects could pick out a card that would grade between an 8 and a 10. That is a huge range on condition. I'm talking about the difference between a 9 and a 9.5. Some cards are only worth grading if you get a 9.5 (newer bowman chromes/sterlings/etc).

Honestly, sometimes it depends on if the grader is having a good day or not. I had a Rose UD Black grade a 9.5 at a show, and I was just hoping for a 9. I also sent in 4 A-Rod SP RCs through the mail, and all 4 came back altered. I took those same 4 to a show for RCR, and I got a 9.5, two 9s, and one still said altered. They were all 100% all untrimmed/unaltered.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Please excuse my ignorance, as I don't grade much either, but can you send them in to and if they do not grade out at a certain level, request to have it just encased?
cactus27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

You can ask that if you do not get at least a 9, to either not encase it, or to just have it put in an authentic holder.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus27 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, as I don't grade much either, but can you send them in to and if they do not grade out at a certain level, request to have it just encased?
You can get them "Authenticated" which is what they do when they encase the card without grading it. You can also send your cards in and put a minimum grade on the order form. This way, if the card doesn't meet the requested grade, then they ship it back ungraded.
38stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info!!
cactus27 is offline   Reply With Quote