Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 408
Default Football will never be the same without Brett Favre

think he can play 2 more years?
UCLAalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
hockeyjunkie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Posts: 11,201
Default

I don't know but I hope my two cards on the Bay sell now!!!!
__________________
-NICK

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 3,517
Default

I think if they have a decent finish and make the playoffs, he'll definitely be back for another year assuming no semi-serious injuries, and after that who knows? But I'd be shocked if he retired after this year. It looks like he's having fun, and when you look around the league at some of the guys with starting QB jobs, he's obviously in the top 10 this year, so on-field performance isn't really an issue.

Even as a Packer fan though, I don't really think this team is worthy of the 6-1 record. We beat a lot of good teams back at the beginning of the year before they got going (Eagles, Giants, Chargers) and I don't think we'd beat most of them if the games were at the end of the season. But I'll take it and hope we find a running back before the playoffs start
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Moonpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 36
Default

Living in Wi, and i cant wait to see him retire...cant stand the guy or the team, and they arent worth of the 6-1 record....too many breaks, Woodson getting away with penalties every game..and when is Barnett going to jail for assault???
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Brett Favre is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL. The media's constant love-fest with the guy makes me sick.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
hockeyjunkie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Posts: 11,201
Default

John madden has calmed down on him. Now he is a Tom Brady lover.
__________________
-NICK

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Brett Favre is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL. The media's constant love-fest with the guy makes me sick.
Hard to agree with you when he holds so many records already. "Living legend" suits him just fine in my opinion. If he's so overated, where are all of the other record holders in the history of the game?

And let's not forget that the Packers could be undefeated right now. The only game they lost, they gave away. Now, I'm not a Packers fan, but come on, let's give credit when credit is due. They are a good team. They are better than "most" teams in the NFL right now. List them all, and there is no way anyone could argue more than half of the rest of the teams are better than Green Bay.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Hard to agree with you when he holds so many records already. "Living legend" suits him just fine in my opinion. If he's so overated, where are all of the other record holders in the history of the game?

And let's not forget that the Packers could be undefeated right now. The only game they lost, they gave away. Now, I'm not a Packers fan, but come on, let's give credit when credit is due. They are a good team. They are better than "most" teams in the NFL right now. List them all, and there is no way anyone could argue more than half of the rest of the teams are better than Green Bay.
I said overrated. I didn't say he wasn't good! The team is good; Favre is VERY good; but he isn't as good or as great (in his prime) as Brady, Manning, Elway, Marino, or Montana. He is in the next tier below. Some of the overzealous media would like you to believe he is in that first group, but I am not buying it. He has those statistical records due to his longevity and durability. You have to be very good too, which he is. When he broke the TD record, it was all over the news and ticker ad nauseum for days. When he broke the dubious interception record, funny how you had to really dig to find out. (And let's not forget all the games he single-handedly LOST with his careless interceptions.)

I am not a hater -- I am a Bengals fan for goodness sake -- but I can objectively say that Favre is grossly overrated by the media.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arcadia
Posts: 408
Default

They are doing well despite not having another true star on the team...think about it...the other good teams this year all have at least 3 or 4 true star talents...the packers don't even have a legitimate running back !!
UCLAalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I said overrated. I didn't say he wasn't good! The team is good; Favre is VERY good; but he isn't as good or as great (in his prime) as Brady, Manning, Elway, Marino, or Montana. He is in the next tier below. Some of the overzealous media would like you to believe he is in that first group, but I am not buying it. He has those statistical records due to his longevity and durability. You have to be very good too, which he is. When he broke the TD record, it was all over the news and ticker ad nauseum for days. When he broke the dubious interception record, funny how you had to really dig to find out. (And let's not forget all the games he single-handedly LOST with his careless interceptions.)

I am not a hater -- I am a Bengals fan for goodness sake -- but I can objectively say that Favre is grossly overrated by the media.
Tim,

I still have to disagree with you. He is not even close to "grossly overrated". He has won a Super Bowl, Marino never did. (and I'm not saying Favre is better than Marino, but I won't agree that he's a tier lower either).

Sure, he has a lot of interceptions AND fumbles, but he remains constantly good to great. "single-handedly LOST games"??? Who doesn't do this with an interception or fumble? Surely you're not saying that Elway, Manning, Marino, etc. are immune from this? You forgot to mention the countless games in his career that he has single-handedly WON games. More so than Elway even. I wonder, do you think that Marino and Elway would be putting up the same numbers as Favre if they were still in the league the same amount of time? If so, great. If not, you can't even put them into the same category as the GREAT BRETT FAVRE!

Good argument though. Another reason this is a great board. People with class that have valid points on both sides of an argument.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Tim,

I still have to disagree with you. He is not even close to "grossly overrated". He has won a Super Bowl, Marino never did. (and I'm not saying Favre is better than Marino, but I won't agree that he's a tier lower either).

Sure, he has a lot of interceptions AND fumbles, but he remains constantly good to great. "single-handedly LOST games"??? Who doesn't do this with an interception or fumble? Surely you're not saying that Elway, Manning, Marino, etc. are immune from this? You forgot to mention the countless games in his career that he has single-handedly WON games. More so than Elway even. I wonder, do you think that Marino and Elway would be putting up the same numbers as Favre if they were still in the league the same amount of time? If so, great. If not, you can't even put them into the same category as the GREAT BRETT FAVRE!

Good argument though. Another reason this is a great board. People with class that have valid points on both sides of an argument.
Hey Matt,

Well I DO agree with your last paragraph.

But... this is the only year that Favre has not had a supporting cast on offense that he is doing it himself. (And a good D helps.) How many pro-bowlers did Elway have with him when he single-handedly won games to take his team to the SB? That is -- even now -- still unheard of in the game of football. Heck, Favre's talented team was an 11-point fave over Elway in the SB and we all know what happened then. No way does Favre even tie Elway's shoelaces!

Now -- please don't let our friendly disagreement mess up my Sportkings karma this week!
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Tim, I won't let karma get in the way. I believe this to be a friendly disagreement.

Favre was a big favorite. His statistics that day proved to me that he was a better quarterback in that game. He blew Elway away in statistics during that Super Bowl game. "tie his laces"...that makes me laugh.

Anyway, Shannon Sharpe had a little to do with a lot of those wins Elway had. Ed McCaffrey, (probably spelled his name wrong), was clutch as well. Without either one of those 2, or both, Elway doesn't have near as many wins. I left out many more too, but no sense it beating a dead horse.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 470
Default

IMHO ... Favre is definately in line with Marino / Elway , etc. He does get some frowns because of all the pub he gets around his family, hardships, etc. (father's death, brother-in-law's death, wife's cancer, etc.) That is why he is a media darling. There are lots of STORIES around Favre and his family. The media loves stories. Deanna Favre gets interviewed in the booth every time Favre is on prime time ... how many times has Ashley Manning gotten interviewed? Did you even know that Ashley was her name? Do you know what she looks like? The fact that Favre gets lots of publicity doesn't detract from the fact that he's accomplished as much or more than any other QB in many categories, the most impressive of which is his consecutive starts.

BTW ... I'm in Wisconsin, but NOT a Packer fan (Steelers) .. so no bias here.

Last edited by TimC; 10-30-2007 at 02:24 PM.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
Living in Wi, and i cant wait to see him retire...cant stand the guy or the team, and they arent worth of the 6-1 record....too many breaks, Woodson getting away with penalties every game..and when is Barnett going to jail for assault???
lives in WI & hates brett favre & the packers??? thats like saying "i'm an american & i hate my country". being from WI myself your comment makes me sick.

Last edited by festus; 10-30-2007 at 07:23 PM.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Brett Favre is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL. The media's constant love-fest with the guy makes me sick.
most overrated? his records? with all due respect, you have no idea what youre talking about.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I said overrated. I didn't say he wasn't good! The team is good; Favre is VERY good; but he isn't as good or as great (in his prime) as Brady, Manning, Elway, Marino, or Montana. He is in the next tier below. Some of the overzealous media would like you to believe he is in that first group, but I am not buying it. He has those statistical records due to his longevity and durability. You have to be very good too, which he is. When he broke the TD record, it was all over the news and ticker ad nauseum for days. When he broke the dubious interception record, funny how you had to really dig to find out. (And let's not forget all the games he single-handedly LOST with his careless interceptions.)

I am not a hater -- I am a Bengals fan for goodness sake -- but I can objectively say that Favre is grossly overrated by the media.
you didnt say overrated you said he is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL. thats complete nonsense.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Tim,

I think you've stepped on a nerve.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Tim,

I think you've stepped on a nerve.
lol -- yeah -- with all due respect, I don't know what I am talking about. But hey -- at least I use apostrophes where appropriate in contractions. I think maybe festus should at least do that to appease me when saying I don't know what I am talking about.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

i dont think apostrophes are required as i type & it shows as you know what i'm saying. the same goes for capital letters on the first word in sentences, etc. "brett favre is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL". with that comment, yes, you do not know what youre talking about.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tim
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
i dont think apostrophes are required as i type & it shows as you know what i'm saying. the same goes for capital letters on the first word in sentences, etc. "brett favre is easily the most overrated QB to ever suit up in the NFL". with that comment, yes, you do not know what youre talking about.
I was JOKING about the apostrophes. Man, you need to lighten up.

Oh, and uh, Brett Favre is EASILY the most overrated quarterback to ever play a game in the NFL. Without question.
Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 2,803
Default

i grew up watching the packers go 8-8 every season. dickey, randy wright, magic man. then, brett favre came along & made it exciting. i think the majority of the reason the media is all over him because of his personality...
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
kobemagee29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rockford
Posts: 2,136
Default

Sorry, but Festus is right! You have to be a complete idiot to say that Favre isn't on the same level as Marino and Elway. What does the media have to do with what the guy has done on the field. There are many young quarterbacks 15 years younger that don't have a arm like his. Regardless if your a Packer fan or not, it doesn't take much to give credit to someone who deserves it!
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,176
Default

Boy am I glad I gracefully bowed out of this conversation.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
MINDNUMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 27
Default

"Can't stand the guy" - "makes me sick"
Tim is a hater!!
Probably a frustrated Viking fan. (Are there really any Bengal fans out there?)

The whole media is infatuated with those (cheating) oops, I mean lovable Patriots. (Just Kidding - no hate responses please. It's not like they had to pay a fine or anything)

Whenever someone or some Team does incredible things over an extended period of time the Media is going to milk it.
Don't hate Favre because he has made headlines for so long. You should be all over the Bengals Blog sites ripping that miserable team.
Tim, does Brady make you sick? 8 weeks of Patriot and Brady talk on every single sports show tv and radio - every single day.
(Nothing personal but you got nothing in Cinci to talk about - Icky shuffle maybe?)

Would the rest of you rather own a Favre 1/1, a Brady1/1, or a Manning 1/1 Auto?
MINDNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,408
Default

Come on people show some emotion -LOL . I can see Festus grinding his teeth as he typed. Good stuff my MB peeps.

While I am a Favre fan, he did get more slack than alot of QBs would have got for his play the previous few seasons. Tons of just really bad picks and some pretty sloppy play that seemed at times like he was just going through the motions. Probably alot of frustration at the losing and the at-home problems as well. He was (gasp) Grossman-esq.

His play has been stellar so far this year and I'd actually give him some votes for comback p.o.y.

The guy is easily one of the greatest of all time and arguably one of the most popular players ever as well. Easily top 5.

I think he has a good 2 more years in him barring injury.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.