Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chrome Production--how much was made?

I'm not a math whiz, so I ask this question to the astute members of the board: Based on autograph odds, how many cases of chrome do you think were produced?

the price for a case is already over $1000 on some sites. Does anybody see this getting much higher or will it fall as soon as the next big product comes out?
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure how many from the odds as I hate math lol but I'm for sure this product will fall harder than a cinder block in price as more products are released!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Not sure how many from the odds as I hate math lol but I'm for sure this product will fall harder than a cinder block in price as more products are released!!
i'ono man, it could hold some value, basketball has a lockout and basketball fans LOVE chrome....... I mean absolutely LOVE IT...... it's the #1 product in basketball usually.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

i dont see the price falling. if the rookies stay hot . it will stay in demand. look at prices on 08/09 chrome basketball ......... the were going for like 400 at one time. steadily still going for 300 i think
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
i'ono man, it could hold some value, basketball has a lockout and basketball fans LOVE chrome....... I mean absolutely LOVE IT...... it's the #1 product in basketball usually.
Oh hell I thought this was about football chrome. What if basketball collectors don't collect football or are they just wanting to flip it like the other 95% of the so called collectors?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Oh hell I thought this was about football chrome. What if basketball collectors don't collect football or are they just wanting to flip it like the other 95% of the so called collectors?
well alot of people just collect/flip, but I am typically a basketball collector, and with the void of basketball needing to be filled i'm doing alot of football? just speaking from my perspective, I was even doing baseball for a while and I don't really care for baseball at all. I mainly flip baseball/football, I have a cam newton, mark ingram collection that's pretty extensive, but I mainly rip/flip. im pretty sure you will see an increase of purchase of football products with basketball not going on this year though, my money goes toward football now, and I typically spend a ton on basketball, I collect alot of basketball players, monta ellis, blake griffin, lebron, kobe, etc.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

great point...I think almost all football will blow up this year as long as the NBA is locked out. (except maybe some crap pannini products--timeless treasures anyone?)

I typically buy at least one case of a new basketball product every year, plus 5-6 single boxes. That money will probably be split between baseball and football now.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
well alot of people just collect/flip, but I am typically a basketball collector, and with the void of basketball needing to be filled i'm doing alot of football? just speaking from my perspective, I was even doing baseball for a while and I don't really care for baseball at all. I mainly flip baseball/football, I have a cam newton, mark ingram collection that's pretty extensive, but I mainly rip/flip. im pretty sure you will see an increase of purchase of football products with basketball not going on this year though, my money goes toward football now, and I typically spend a ton on basketball, I collect alot of basketball players, monta ellis, blake griffin, lebron, kobe, etc.
Yes I'm pretty sure you're right about that. I quickly turned back to baseball when the lockout was going on for the NFL.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's my math, but I'm not going to use autograph odds.

It says that there is 1 crystal atomic refractor in each box. Crystal atomics are #'d to 139. So with a 220 card set, 220 x 139 = 30580 boxes, or about 2550 twelve-box cases.

If we count the crystal atomics for the autographed rookie cards, which are #'d to 50, with 44 rookies, we come up with another 2200 boxes, bringing the total boxes to 32780 boxes, or 2732 cases. Of course that's just a guesstimate obviously. But if they are guaranteeing 1 crystal atomic in each box, based on the numbering, I figure I'm in the ballpark.

PS - That's hobby only. I don't think the retail product has crystal atomics, so that would obviously add a lot more Chrome cards to the production line on the retail end.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
Here's my math, but I'm not going to use autograph odds.

It says that there is 1 crystal atomic refractor in each box. Crystal atomics are #'d to 139. So with a 220 card set, 220 x 139 = 30580 boxes, or about 2550 twelve-box cases.

If we count the crystal atomics for the autographed rookie cards, which are #'d to 50, with 44 rookies, we come up with another 2200 boxes, bringing the total boxes to 32780 boxes, or 2732 cases. Of course that's just a guesstimate obviously. But if they are guaranteeing 1 crystal atomic in each box, based on the numbering, I figure I'm in the ballpark.

PS - That's hobby only. I don't think the retail product has crystal atomics, so that would obviously add a lot more Chrome cards to the production line on the retail end.
Just to let you know - I pulled a crystal atomic /50 (no auto) from a retail box, so they are in there as well.
--Maynard James Keenan
golferphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

yeah I pulled a jon baldwin crystal atomic /50 from a blaster
Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post
Just to let you know - I pulled a crystal atomic /50 (no auto) from a retail box, so they are in there as well.
Quote:
Ah. The checklist on sportscardradio just says that there is "1 per hobby box," so I assumed it was hobby only. All right, my math is useless. All we can know for sure is there are at least as many cases as I came up with, plus more. Carry on.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

If your math is true that makes me feel pretty good about this product. That doesn't seem like a high number of cases. What does everyone else think?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferphil View Post
Quote:
Those are considered insert parallels, which can be found in Retail and are very rare. Pkremer was referring to the Crystal Atomic versions of the base cards which are hobby only and #'d to 139. You will not find any of those in retail, so I believe Pkremer's estimates are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbears86 View Post
If your math is true that makes me feel pretty good about this product. That doesn't seem like a high number of cases. What does everyone else think?
Almost no cases on eBay, and the usual online distributors either have none, or have very little at high prices. My guess is the 2,500 range is correct and thus prices will remain high.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I do not believe that this product can maintain this momentum. 2008 had a better rookie crop and didn't keep the momentum.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

I would have been happy with maybe one QB and reciever/running back doing well, but I have been surprised by how well this rookie crop has done. It's obviously still way too early but so far three qb's have done excellent--(newton, dalton, ponder) the running backs have been a little weak, but the recievers have done well too. I'm sure i've missed a few standout players (a.j. green).

It's small sample size i know, only halfway throught the season.

As long as the nba is locked out, i think all nfl products will do well, and chrome being very well recieved will dry up quick.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

yeah and then you already had the momentum of guys like mark ingram and julio jones str8 out the gate........ it's gone very well, randall cobb was hot for a second.......all the QB's sell atleast a little and it's alot of em.