Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Box breaks are no different than any other way to buy cards. You'll have honest sellers and dishonest ones, if you like to do breaks, try to find honest ones, they are out there.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

I just ran a box of supreme on ebay. I lost money because I timed it to end after the NFC championship and the game went into OT. Half the teams didn't get bid on and the ones that did only sold for 0.99.

I had 2 boxes and had my daughter pick one for the break and one to keep. I could of filmed live but they wanted you tube. I pulled a Jake Locker auto /50 in the ebay box. My personal box I also filmed and pulled a Greg Little jersey single color.

I could have easily switched the videos and posted the crap box for the ebay folks after losing money on the break. I kept the garbage box for myself and shipped the Jake Locker auto to the 0.99 cent bidder.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/mrmike_13/
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

I've lucked out on a couple of ebay breaks, just have to check seller's feedback before bidding.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

is this breaking news? pretty sure most guys know not to waste their time and money w/ these ebay breaks.....side note: im sure theres some good breakers on ebay but id be willing to bet they are in the minority of ebay breakers.....stick to blowout for breaks, houdini, dachman are 2 of the best, buts theres a bunch of awesome/honest guys breaking on blowout
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike79 View Post
I just ran a box of supreme on ebay. I lost money because I timed it to end after the NFC championship and the game went into OT. Half the teams didn't get bid on and the ones that did only sold for 0.99.

I had 2 boxes and had my daughter pick one for the break and one to keep. I could of filmed live but they wanted you tube. I pulled a Jake Locker auto /50 in the ebay box. My personal box I also filmed and pulled a Greg Little jersey single color.

I could have easily switched the videos and posted the crap box for the ebay folks after losing money on the break. I kept the garbage box for myself and shipped the Jake Locker auto to the 0.99 cent bidder.
I wouldnt do these anymore if I we're you, I know 3 people that lost there paypal account in the past month. You make a good point on why people shouldnt do these breaks because alot of people on ebay would have probably did what you didn't do.

If you guys wanna do group breaks do them live on blogtv, I know 5 very trustworthy guys, between them you can pretty much join one any day of the week.

Most are cheap and fill my busting itch when I get it

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #31 (permalink)

Just join live breaks and your problems are solved.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlow View Post
I wouldnt do these anymore if I we're you, I know 3 people that lost there paypal account in the past month. You make a good point on why people shouldnt do these breaks because alot of people on ebay would have probably did what you didn't do.
Just out of curiosity, how are people losing their PayPal accounts because they participate in live breaks?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchako View Post
Just out of curiosity, how are people losing their PayPal accounts because they participate in live breaks?
He is talking about the person running the group breaks. Because group breaks are against ebay rules and paypal rules. If paypal finds out you are running them they will lock your account and can stop you from using paypal
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
He is talking about the person running the group breaks. Because group breaks are against ebay rules and paypal rules. If paypal finds out you are running them they will lock your account and can stop you from using paypal
This topic has undoubtedly been beaten to death. But has it actually been confirmed? I mean, folks on eBay now are listing as "grab bags," guaranteeing that you'll receive something (whether it be a team set, one card, etc.). Sure, you can't see what's coming ahead of time but the same thing can be said about packs, boxes, and cases.

And how do folks pay the group break facilitator here on BO? The person running the break needs to get the money somehow.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
This topic has undoubtedly been beaten to death. But has it actually been confirmed? I mean, folks on eBay now are listing as "grab bags," guaranteeing that you'll receive something (whether it be a team set, one card, etc.). Sure, you can't see what's coming ahead of time but the same thing can be said about packs, boxes, and cases.

And how do folks pay the group break facilitator here on BO? The person running the break needs to get the money somehow.
I was about to mention that myself......how can you consider box breaks gambling but not Boxes or packs?

You have no idea if you are going to get a bunch of crap or hit a $1000+ card when you bust a box or pack.....same goes with group breaks.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Broscards

just an FYI as an avid group break host - all the talk about paypal locking you down is 100% correct - that is why you wont see me hosting another group break until some other form of payment is figured out. ive gone over this in my head about 100 times, but nothing seems to work - dwolla.com is an up and coming alternative, but no one really uses it much, so that means i would have to ask all my participants to make an account. I guess if they REALLLLYYYY like me busting boxes they would, but I dont want to take all the time to explain to people why they need to.

Paypal will freeze your funds for 180 days.

My suggestion for anyone running live breaks, get all the money out of your account the night of the break, dont leave paypal any money to freeze
Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Broscards

oh and imagine talking to paypal -

Me: "Its a group break, where we split the cost of the box of cards 32 ways, and everyone gets 1 team, and they get whatever cards are pulled of that team"

Paypal: "What are you talking about? They make cards of sports teams? What if one team doesnt have cards?"

Me: "That person doesnt get anything"

Paypal: "So they are taking a gamble that they get a good team?"

... thus group breaks are a form of gambling

The reason they freeze your account is because you are facilitating gambling - and they told me in case there are chargebacks to your account because people didnt receive anything.

A little digging into the user agreement and you will notice 2 things..

1. you cant use paypal for drugs, sex, blah, blah, blah, gambling etc etc

2. you cant file a claim against someone who sold you something that they arent allowed to sell.

SO.. theoretically, you cannot file a claim against a group break host because the arent allowed to host group breaks.

THIS IS WHAT EBAY/PAYPAL HAS BECOME
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #38 (permalink)

You just have to be careful, ask to watch previous videos, see if anything good has been pulled. I run them, I run them honestly, I make a little money, but I mostly do it and keep my teams (Colts, Red Sox, Pacers) for myself, because I'm just not interested in anything else and putting up $50 for a case break on Blowout and getting the Astros sucks big time.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broscards View Post
just an FYI as an avid group break host - all the talk about paypal locking you down is 100% correct - that is why you wont see me hosting another group break until some other form of payment is figured out. ive gone over this in my head about 100 times, but nothing seems to work - dwolla.com is an up and coming alternative, but no one really uses it much, so that means i would have to ask all my participants to make an account. I guess if they REALLLLYYYY like me busting boxes they would, but I dont want to take all the time to explain to people why they need to.

Paypal will freeze your funds for 180 days.

My suggestion for anyone running live breaks, get all the money out of your account the night of the break, dont leave paypal any money to freeze
I see some ebay breaks offering a base card from your team and then you also get all the cards from a case from that same team. So if you worded it like "all the cards from the break are a free bonus" would that be legal in the eyes of ebay and paypal? I'd like to try a break myself but all this talk about accounts being frozen scares the @#$% out of me.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
I see some ebay breaks offering a base card from your team and then you also get all the cards from a case from that same team. So if you worded it like "all the cards from the break are a free bonus" would that be legal in the eyes of ebay and paypal? I'd like to try a break myself but all this talk about accounts being frozen scares the @#$% out of me.
Unfortunately, as some folks have pointed out, there are definite scammers out there. And then there are people who will give you negative feedback or file a claim with PayPal because they didn't get what they wanted. So in the end, it ruins it for those who are trying to have fun and do things legitimately.

I definitely agree that if you're running a break, you should guarantee each participant a card from his or her team. How you go about doing this is entirely up to you. That way you are following the letter of the law.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. If eBay says no and PayPal says no (eBay times two), then it just isn't going to happen anymore. But somehow, the "grab bag" people on eBay still have plenty of breaks going on.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)

Breaking News: Smoking is also bad for your health
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

I've been in 2 ebay breaks with 2 different sellers. Both were streamed live, and both had an open invitation to come watch in person if you lived nearby.
I scored some pretty nice hits on both too.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #43 (permalink)

to answer your question, on BLOWOUT, after break has filled, you send the host the money via paypal......you ONLY, ONLY put your username in the subject and note sections.....you DO NOT say anything about BREAK, GROUP BREAKS, HOW MANY SPOTS YOU HAVE, just your blowout user name and the host will know who you are by that........BLOWOUT is the only place i participate in group break and i really enjoy them, he have a handfull of really awesome breakers(houdini and dachman are 2 of the best in my opinion) and i would def refer anyone to join a couple breaks on blowout....... SIDE NOTE, have not and will not EVER join an ebay break
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

I love these stereotype ebay threads. ALL EBAY BREAKS ARE SCAMMERS!!! Guess you had a bad experience with one, so you blame them all. Well, maybe they are now because I don't do them on ebay anymore. I was looking at one guy selling Topps Series One breaks the other day and in his other listings he was selling "HOT PACKS". Nothing says "don't buy breaks from me" better than that guy.

summer21629 | eBay

Anyway, just want to clear some things up about why ebay doesn't allow them anymore because I had a long conversation with them about it.

1. They consider the term "Team Group Break" to be a contest because one listing is being shared between other people, even though ebay is getting paid for the other 29 teams (baseball) that are being sold on their site.

2. Any product that is not "unopened" such as singles, have to be listed individually. Since a "Group Break" is opened after the item is sold, that is impossible. What this also means is ebay has about 100,000 listings on ebay that don't abide by their policy. Basically by saying this, they have kicked themselves in the ( ).( ) because people have been selling like this for years, way before breaks even happened on ebay 5 years ago. Anyone selling a 500 card lot of Phillies cards without actually listing each of the 500 cards individually is breaking ebay policy.

We even discussed the infamous Topps "Mystery Redemptions", like last years "Diamond Redemptions". Guess what, they are against ebay policy too since the card you get is from an opened product that gets you a card off Topps website without knowledge of what the card will be. No different then the breaks that are sold on here and on ebay. So anyone who is selling them are breaking the same policies that breakers are.

All this, after Trust and Safety gave me permission to sell them back in May.

Overall, the problem isn't the sellers, it's what we've all known all along, it's ebay. They don't police their own site. They depend on the "community" to report the listings that are against policy. Funny thing is, I began testing this policy 4 nights ago. I reported 3 break listings each for 5 different people selling breaks on ebay. 3 items ended when they were supposed to, and the other 12 are still ticking down to the end. Yes, 4 days later, nothing has happened. Personally, I think the government should shut them down because they are supposed to be in control of everything that is sold on their site. But just like Enron, you do what you can get away with until you get caught, and even then, the profits probably will outweight the penalties.

I'm a Phillies person, always have been. I want my team and that's it. Most breaks I've participated in I've either purchased my team after the random, or I purchased a better draft slot than the other Phillies fans I know who already had slots to get my Biddle or Worley cards.

Now I want all ebay listings removed. They won't let me play, so I started doing them 2 Mondays ago on Facebook. I had a nice list from when I did them on ebay and I'm building it from there. Even paying Facebook for advertising. First break was last Friday and I've done 3 more since. I'll be doing another one tomorrow night with Jumbo and a couple Marquee which I purchased from Chris today. I'm all about selling people the team they want, that's the way I designed it 5 years ago.

Box Break Club 2007 Bowman Baseball JUMBO / Cardinal (05/31/2007)...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #45 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikey121581

crazy8 is top notch when it comes to breaks....i got hamels mojo twice from his breaks
Brooke Tessmacher,WWE Elite Figures,Green Arrow
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey121581 View Post
crazy8 is top notch when it comes to breaks....i got hamels mojo twice from his breaks
Mikey, I didn't even know you were the same guy. hahaha.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8parlay View Post
Anyway, just want to clear some things up about why ebay doesn't allow them anymore because I had a long conversation with them about it.
I, too, had a similar conversation with them. I was frustrated when I listened to them drone on about it. I asked them why some people can run breaks and why others can't and they basically said the same thing: they rely on us to report the listings.

Bah.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I, too, had a similar conversation with them. I was frustrated when I listened to them drone on about it. I asked them why some people can run breaks and why others can't and they basically said the same thing: they rely on us to report the listings.

Bah.

I think the overall problem with breaks on ebay was some were selling one box breaks of product that had one pack in a box and 5 cards in the pack. People were paying $5-$10 per team for a 83.33333% chance at NOTHING. Then the buyers would complain because they got jack squat. Of course ebay being as clueless as they are consider one product to be just like everyone elses if it has the same name.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #49 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikey121581

its either mikey1215 or mikey121581
Brooke Tessmacher,WWE Elite Figures,Green Arrow
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #50 (permalink)

As someone who runs case breaks Ebay I can say it depends on the person you go with. There will be some scammers while there will be some honest people. Like most have said go with someone live. Also many have recordings of past breaks, sit back and watch a few and decide if they are for you. I started buying into box breaks a few months ago and saw things I didn't like. There is one or 2 guys whose breaks I buy into, but at the same time I started running my own breaks. For me I do not list every team on ebay. Why? First I give returning buyers first dibs on teams. Second you have to pay for every listing on ebay and ebay takes there 11%. So if I am selling a team for 150, I then have to mark it up on ebay to cover the fees, and most people don't want to pay for that. Lastly you have other people who break constantly reporting your postings as a violation and your ad gets removed with no reimbursement of the funds you put into it. So it is easier to give people who bought from me before a majority of the teams and whatever teams they don't want will get posted.
Closed Thread