Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 123
Default Box Breaks on Ebay are a Scam!

In my opinion they are all a scam mainly because the person doing the box breaks buys a case then films every box break before the teams are put up for auction. Then the person already knows what the best cards are in every break therefore they do not sell that team and they can keep the cards. For example this one guy on ebay does box breaks and I messaged him why are there some teams missing? When he sells the teams for the break. And his response was I have some people who buy my certain teams in advance. Psh yeah right! Once he gets the best cards he will sell them on ebay individually before he even posts the break for everyone to see. He also lets the auction end before posting the break for everyone so no one will ever know who got those cards. Just had to vent a little bit guys haha I have also been in contact with ebay about this because it is not fair he is ripping everyone off in my opinion. He also has two different ebay accounts where he sells both the breaks on one then the cards on the other.Any one else have thoughts about this?
dnuggets66 is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
ManInTheMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 36,379
Default

Oh thank god. I was just about to jump in a couple, thanks for the newsflash.
ManInTheMirror is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
tajikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 13,244
Default

That's why you don't partake in box breaks unless they're live. That includes eBay and BO.
tajikey is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeFlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,974
Default

%90 of Box breaks on ebay have been a scam for years, Never knew why someone would buy into those when there is many great/legit case breakers on youtube/blogtv and even on these forums.

From my understanding they are not even allowed on EBay anymore....
__________________
Check my bucket. TONS of Mid-High being given away for free @ bcstb.com
http://s1107.photobucket.com/home/wiidiis/index

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Greenville, WI
Posts: 229
Default

Never done a group break and probably never will on eBay but I guess I don't see the problem. If he lists each team he is selling you can decide if you want to buy that team or not. Its not a random deal where he holds back certain teams. If you don't want the Colts or whatever then don't buy them. Seems like common sense to me
collectivetoys is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Axe
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,570
Default

if you do buy ones from ebay, you need to only join ones that are live, and personally for me they have to post the box/case serial number for me to even join. there are some very legit breakers on ebay, though sadly with all the whiners and complainers, ebay has made it more difficult to run them, and has pushed away all but 2 legit breakers that i know for sure of. the reason i like ebay breaks over say blowout breaks, especcially for football, is when i join a break, the main thing i want is my team, the Cowboys, dont really care much about others unless i get them as a very cheap investment. Though i will say i dont know much about the blogtv and other such breakers, though would love if there was a list of links for them in my PM box to check out =).

also just to note, one case break i got in on earlier this year on ebay netted me 4 Demarco Murray Elite autos, and 3 other cowboys autos, one of which numbered to 24 IIRC, along with some nice inserts low numbered also. honestly my best break EVER, and at that time Murray had not broke out, so i got it for less than $30 =).
__________________
Always Looking for Dallas Cowboys(ALL) and Jose Canseco
Axe is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
bradsholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wyocena, WI
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
if you do buy ones from ebay, you need to only join ones that are live, and personally for me they have to post the box/case serial number for me to even join. there are some very legit breakers on ebay, though sadly with all the whiners and complainers, ebay has made it more difficult to run them, and has pushed away all but 2 legit breakers that i know for sure of. the reason i like ebay breaks over say blowout breaks, especcially for football, is when i join a break, the main thing i want is my team, the Cowboys, dont really care much about others unless i get them as a very cheap investment. Though i will say i dont know much about the blogtv and other such breakers, though would love if there was a list of links for them in my PM box to check out =).

also just to note, one case break i got in on earlier this year on ebay netted me 4 Demarco Murray Elite autos, and 3 other cowboys autos, one of which numbered to 24 IIRC, along with some nice inserts low numbered also. honestly my best break EVER, and at that time Murray had not broke out, so i got it for less than $30 =).
So, someone can still have the serial numbers after they already broke the box....so that made no sense......all that takes is saying the serial number is this in the listing, and 2 days before the guy broke the boxes

either way.......I always turned on CNN or MSNBC to show a timestamp of when I did my breaks. and then posted it directly after. always made sure to show the entire surface of the case to ensure to everyone that it was a brand new case!!!
bradsholly is online now  
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Axe
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsholly View Post
So, someone can still have the serial numbers after they already broke the box....so that made no sense......all that takes is saying the serial number is this in the listing, and 2 days before the guy broke the boxes

either way.......I always turned on CNN or MSNBC to show a timestamp of when I did my breaks. and then posted it directly after. always made sure to show the entire surface of the case to ensure to everyone that it was a brand new case!!!
for me honestly, the serial numbering is more of another issue. one break i joined once had no serial numbering, or identifying at all of the break, sso after checking his youtube videos, it seriously LOOKED like he was mismatching videos as to teams he was selling. since i dont get to watch the live breaks often, NOW i make sure they identify which video it will be with absolutely no doubts. so no, this by itself is not meant as a guarantee, but it is one thing i NOW look for, or atleast something like cowboys box break elite #5.
__________________
Always Looking for Dallas Cowboys(ALL) and Jose Canseco
Axe is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
purejd86p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 2,332
Default

Not sure how they can get away with putting box breaks in the title or anywhere else. Paypal does not want you to do box group breaks and they can freeze your account I thought?
purejd86p is online now  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
CarolinaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Goldsboro N.C.
Posts: 1,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purejd86p View Post
Not sure how they can get away with putting box breaks in the title or anywhere else. Paypal does not want you to do box group breaks and they can freeze your account I thought?
Why would Paypal give a crap? they get their $$ regardless.
__________________
Always looking for 1995 SAM MILLS, Kerry Collins, Mike Fox, Don Beebe, Tyrone Poole autographs.
BUCKET:
http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb419/CarolinaGuy34/FS%20FT/
Don't ask me for my best price. You give me your best offer
CarolinaGuy is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,984
Default

I find this funny, I have been in a few box breaks on Ebay. And everyone I have been in (which is 5) I have got hits in everyone. And I get stuff dirt cheap. I have done three box breaks on BO and im one for three. Its definitely risky business, but there are actually good people doing them. And my hits on Ebay were quality hits. Not as good as my Manning Auto I got here though
__________________
Utah Jazz,St. Louis RamsCalifornia Angels
IF WE ARE TRADING, YOU'RE SENDING FIRST.
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/Oilngo/
Oilngo is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,770
Default

on blow out i have done 3 box breaks with the same guy and i hit 2 out of the 3 and the one i missed was the past one in our group brake still got a redemption in the last one not that bad
boston77yankees is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
purejd86p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 2,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
Why would Paypal give a crap? they get their $$ regardless.
When the host of a Group break says don't put lot, spot, or break in the description box when sending payments it is because Paypal can freeze your account if you get caught doing this is my understanding.
purejd86p is online now  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,243
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purejd86p View Post
When the host of a Group break says don't put lot, spot, or break in the description box when sending payments it is because Paypal can freeze your account if you get caught doing this is my understanding.
Correct. I dont think its against their rules; just frowned upon as they dont want to deal with chargebacks, etc.
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
IndySportsCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 23,139
Default

Scammers love using ebay to scam people. Why it's a Scamopolois! Stay away from the Ebay
__________________
Indy's CGC Gradings Master Thread - http://tinyurl.com/p45agbh
Want your Comic Graded or Pressed? - http://tinyurl.com/pn74odq
Notify you of new Gradings? - http://tinyurl.com/no58cku
IndySportsCards is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 4,987
Default

WAYYYY better off joining group breaks on here. Nobody is making any profits. Not saying these guys doing them on eBay are driving bentleys from their group break profits, but people who host on BO make zero profit. You get the slots at the lowest cost. Also there is way too much variance in box breaks. The great thing about BO is generally it is dealing with cases or multiple cases
dlab85 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
bradsholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wyocena, WI
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
WAYYYY better off joining group breaks on here. Nobody is making any profits. Not saying these guys doing them on eBay are driving bentleys from their group break profits, but people who host on BO make zero profit. You get the slots at the lowest cost. Also there is way too much variance in box breaks. The great thing about BO is generally it is dealing with cases or multiple cases
not to say the guys are doing it, (but I bet they are) if you own a shop, or even have a liscenced business and tax id number, you can buy directly from distributors at about half of what you would pay on internet card stores, and even 30% of what you'd pay at an lcs.....only catch is you can ONLY buy cases (no single boxes) So if the guys on here are charging what they would get it through an online retailer for their breaks......yes they are probably making a profit!!
bradsholly is online now  
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,106
Default

Boxes and Cases must be purchased from Blowout for group breaks done on Blowout!
jusdukky is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
FrankieP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
Why would Paypal give a crap? they get their $$ regardless.
Since they sell spots by the team, you're not guaranteed to get anything. Case breaks of most high end products donít have enough cards to fill all 30/32 teams even if there was one card per team in the case. EBay requires a physical item to be exchanged for cash.
FrankieP is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 4,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsholly View Post
not to say the guys are doing it, (but I bet they are) if you own a shop, or even have a liscenced business and tax id number, you can buy directly from distributors at about half of what you would pay on internet card stores, and even 30% of what you'd pay at an lcs.....only catch is you can ONLY buy cases (no single boxes) So if the guys on here are charging what they would get it through an online retailer for their breaks......yes they are probably making a profit!!
You are misinformed. Anybody charging enough to make a profit would never have the breaks approved by the mods for posting here.

I might have made 34 cents on my last break on here and will probably take a loss on my current one. BO Breaks are not meant to profit the host.

I don't think the margin on boxes of cards is that big. My LCS buys through BO sometimes. Plus on here, all cases must be bought through BO and no profits are made for the host. BO pricing is pretty close to wholesale. No way they are making 50% on wholesale pricing. You also have to buy huge numbers to buy directly from Topps or Upper Deck. Here is the year end review on all Topps baseball cards and their distributor prices http://www.sportscardradio.com/index...baseball-cases

Last edited by dlab85; 01-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.
dlab85 is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Correct. I dont think its against their rules; just frowned upon as they dont want to deal with chargebacks, etc.
its actually very against there rules as they strongly consider group breaks gambling. That is why they list them as team grab bags and they have to print a shipping label out for every sold team even if they didnt get a hit..
Macken is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
spyfox95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 141
Default

I recommend that if you buy into a box break that the seller should do it live or at least timestamp it.

I do box breaks off site to help fund my cardboard addiction and I have to upload to YouTube because I can't get my hands on a webcam yet. But when I do upload it, I tell my buyers what day I'm going to do the break and what time a few days before. This way, when they see my timestamp they know I'm not scamming them.

I just want to say not all box breakers are scammers. I mean seriously, I pulled a Cam auto in one of my breaks. You have no idea how much I loved pulling that and wanting to keep it but I did send it out. I could have bought another box and switched them but I didn't because I'm not a douche like some of those scammers.

Overall, not all box breakers are scammers. There are tons of breakers worthy of your trust. If you want an awesomely legit site just pm me if you're interested.
__________________
http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff361/spyfox95/
WARNING! SMALLEST BUCKET YOU WILL EVER SEE!
If you see anything you like, let me know! Prefer trades for Mallett Ridley and Pats but will consider selling.
spyfox95 is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 593
Default

I joined one about 8 months ago and hit a $400 card for $31 in a case break. dont be a hater uness you try some
__________________
Looking to sell 2012 Under Armour All American Perfect game cards.
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball-singles-buy-sell-trade/470810-2012-baseball-factory-under-armour-all-american-game-cards.html
Vincentr1224 is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 94
Default

Definitely saying that all box breakers on eBay are scammers is a bit of a generalization. Unfortunately, eBay has indeed cracked down on them. I'm not sure how long the whole "grab bag" thing will last. But from a cardboard collector like myself, I think they're fun. If I was worried about being scammed, I simply wouldn't participate. In my opinion, it's sad that eBay considers it gambling, but that's just me.
elchako is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
notravels10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 837
Default

Give it time karma will get him
__________________
(I need The 2010 BDPP Greg Garcia Super) DONE
notravels10 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.