Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Box Breaks on Ebay are a Scam!

In my opinion they are all a scam mainly because the person doing the box breaks buys a case then films every box break before the teams are put up for auction. Then the person already knows what the best cards are in every break therefore they do not sell that team and they can keep the cards. For example this one guy on ebay does box breaks and I messaged him why are there some teams missing? When he sells the teams for the break. And his response was I have some people who buy my certain teams in advance. Psh yeah right! Once he gets the best cards he will sell them on ebay individually before he even posts the break for everyone to see. He also lets the auction end before posting the break for everyone so no one will ever know who got those cards. Just had to vent a little bit guys haha I have also been in contact with ebay about this because it is not fair he is ripping everyone off in my opinion. He also has two different ebay accounts where he sells both the breaks on one then the cards on the other.Any one else have thoughts about this?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh thank god. I was just about to jump in a couple, thanks for the newsflash.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

That's why you don't partake in box breaks unless they're live. That includes eBay and BO.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

%90 of Box breaks on ebay have been a scam for years, Never knew why someone would buy into those when there is many great/legit case breakers on youtube/blogtv and even on these forums.

From my understanding they are not even allowed on EBay anymore....

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Never done a group break and probably never will on eBay but I guess I don't see the problem. If he lists each team he is selling you can decide if you want to buy that team or not. Its not a random deal where he holds back certain teams. If you don't want the Colts or whatever then don't buy them. Seems like common sense to me
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Axe

if you do buy ones from ebay, you need to only join ones that are live, and personally for me they have to post the box/case serial number for me to even join. there are some very legit breakers on ebay, though sadly with all the whiners and complainers, ebay has made it more difficult to run them, and has pushed away all but 2 legit breakers that i know for sure of. the reason i like ebay breaks over say blowout breaks, especcially for football, is when i join a break, the main thing i want is my team, the Cowboys, dont really care much about others unless i get them as a very cheap investment. Though i will say i dont know much about the blogtv and other such breakers, though would love if there was a list of links for them in my PM box to check out =).

also just to note, one case break i got in on earlier this year on ebay netted me 4 Demarco Murray Elite autos, and 3 other cowboys autos, one of which numbered to 24 IIRC, along with some nice inserts low numbered also. honestly my best break EVER, and at that time Murray had not broke out, so i got it for less than $30 =).
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
if you do buy ones from ebay, you need to only join ones that are live, and personally for me they have to post the box/case serial number for me to even join. there are some very legit breakers on ebay, though sadly with all the whiners and complainers, ebay has made it more difficult to run them, and has pushed away all but 2 legit breakers that i know for sure of. the reason i like ebay breaks over say blowout breaks, especcially for football, is when i join a break, the main thing i want is my team, the Cowboys, dont really care much about others unless i get them as a very cheap investment. Though i will say i dont know much about the blogtv and other such breakers, though would love if there was a list of links for them in my PM box to check out =).

also just to note, one case break i got in on earlier this year on ebay netted me 4 Demarco Murray Elite autos, and 3 other cowboys autos, one of which numbered to 24 IIRC, along with some nice inserts low numbered also. honestly my best break EVER, and at that time Murray had not broke out, so i got it for less than $30 =).
So, someone can still have the serial numbers after they already broke the box....so that made no sense......all that takes is saying the serial number is this in the listing, and 2 days before the guy broke the boxes

either way.......I always turned on CNN or MSNBC to show a timestamp of when I did my breaks. and then posted it directly after. always made sure to show the entire surface of the case to ensure to everyone that it was a brand new case!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsholly View Post
So, someone can still have the serial numbers after they already broke the box....so that made no sense......all that takes is saying the serial number is this in the listing, and 2 days before the guy broke the boxes

either way.......I always turned on CNN or MSNBC to show a timestamp of when I did my breaks. and then posted it directly after. always made sure to show the entire surface of the case to ensure to everyone that it was a brand new case!!!
for me honestly, the serial numbering is more of another issue. one break i joined once had no serial numbering, or identifying at all of the break, sso after checking his youtube videos, it seriously LOOKED like he was mismatching videos as to teams he was selling. since i dont get to watch the live breaks often, NOW i make sure they identify which video it will be with absolutely no doubts. so no, this by itself is not meant as a guarantee, but it is one thing i NOW look for, or atleast something like cowboys box break elite #5.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not sure how they can get away with putting box breaks in the title or anywhere else. Paypal does not want you to do box group breaks and they can freeze your account I thought?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purejd86p View Post
Not sure how they can get away with putting box breaks in the title or anywhere else. Paypal does not want you to do box group breaks and they can freeze your account I thought?
Why would Paypal give a crap? they get their $$ regardless.
Don't ask me for my best price. You give me your best offer
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

I find this funny, I have been in a few box breaks on Ebay. And everyone I have been in (which is 5) I have got hits in everyone. And I get stuff dirt cheap. I have done three box breaks on BO and im one for three. Its definitely risky business, but there are actually good people doing them. And my hits on Ebay were quality hits. Not as good as my Manning Auto I got here though
Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

on blow out i have done 3 box breaks with the same guy and i hit 2 out of the 3 and the one i missed was the past one in our group brake still got a redemption in the last one not that bad
Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
When the host of a Group break says don't put lot, spot, or break in the description box when sending payments it is because Paypal can freeze your account if you get caught doing this is my understanding.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by purejd86p View Post
When the host of a Group break says don't put lot, spot, or break in the description box when sending payments it is because Paypal can freeze your account if you get caught doing this is my understanding.
Correct. I dont think its against their rules; just frowned upon as they dont want to deal with chargebacks, etc.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Scammers love using ebay to scam people. Why it's a Scamopolois! Stay away from the Ebay
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

WAYYYY better off joining group breaks on here. Nobody is making any profits. Not saying these guys doing them on eBay are driving bentleys from their group break profits, but people who host on BO make zero profit. You get the slots at the lowest cost. Also there is way too much variance in box breaks. The great thing about BO is generally it is dealing with cases or multiple cases
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
WAYYYY better off joining group breaks on here. Nobody is making any profits. Not saying these guys doing them on eBay are driving bentleys from their group break profits, but people who host on BO make zero profit. You get the slots at the lowest cost. Also there is way too much variance in box breaks. The great thing about BO is generally it is dealing with cases or multiple cases
not to say the guys are doing it, (but I bet they are) if you own a shop, or even have a liscenced business and tax id number, you can buy directly from distributors at about half of what you would pay on internet card stores, and even 30% of what you'd pay at an lcs.....only catch is you can ONLY buy cases (no single boxes) So if the guys on here are charging what they would get it through an online retailer for their breaks......yes they are probably making a profit!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Boxes and Cases must be purchased from Blowout for group breaks done on Blowout!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
Since they sell spots by the team, you're not guaranteed to get anything. Case breaks of most high end products donít have enough cards to fill all 30/32 teams even if there was one card per team in the case. EBay requires a physical item to be exchanged for cash.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsholly View Post
not to say the guys are doing it, (but I bet they are) if you own a shop, or even have a liscenced business and tax id number, you can buy directly from distributors at about half of what you would pay on internet card stores, and even 30% of what you'd pay at an lcs.....only catch is you can ONLY buy cases (no single boxes) So if the guys on here are charging what they would get it through an online retailer for their breaks......yes they are probably making a profit!!
You are misinformed. Anybody charging enough to make a profit would never have the breaks approved by the mods for posting here.

I might have made 34 cents on my last break on here and will probably take a loss on my current one. BO Breaks are not meant to profit the host.

I don't think the margin on boxes of cards is that big. My LCS buys through BO sometimes. Plus on here, all cases must be bought through BO and no profits are made for the host. BO pricing is pretty close to wholesale. No way they are making 50% on wholesale pricing. You also have to buy huge numbers to buy directly from Topps or Upper Deck. Here is the year end review on all Topps baseball cards and their distributor prices http://www.sportscardradio.com/index...baseball-cases

Last edited by dlab85; 01-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Correct. I dont think its against their rules; just frowned upon as they dont want to deal with chargebacks, etc.
its actually very against there rules as they strongly consider group breaks gambling. That is why they list them as team grab bags and they have to print a shipping label out for every sold team even if they didnt get a hit..
Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

I recommend that if you buy into a box break that the seller should do it live or at least timestamp it.

I do box breaks off site to help fund my cardboard addiction and I have to upload to YouTube because I can't get my hands on a webcam yet. But when I do upload it, I tell my buyers what day I'm going to do the break and what time a few days before. This way, when they see my timestamp they know I'm not scamming them.

I just want to say not all box breakers are scammers. I mean seriously, I pulled a Cam auto in one of my breaks. You have no idea how much I loved pulling that and wanting to keep it but I did send it out. I could have bought another box and switched them but I didn't because I'm not a douche like some of those scammers.

Overall, not all box breakers are scammers. There are tons of breakers worthy of your trust. If you want an awesomely legit site just pm me if you're interested.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

I joined one about 8 months ago and hit a $400 card for $31 in a case break. dont be a hater uness you try some
Old 01-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Definitely saying that all box breakers on eBay are scammers is a bit of a generalization. Unfortunately, eBay has indeed cracked down on them. I'm not sure how long the whole "grab bag" thing will last. But from a cardboard collector like myself, I think they're fun. If I was worried about being scammed, I simply wouldn't participate. In my opinion, it's sad that eBay considers it gambling, but that's just me.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Give it time karma will get him