Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Non-Licensed Product for 2009?

I've never been a huge fan of these products, but for whatever reason I'm getting really interested now. Maybe it's because it's almost draft time, who knows? Obviously there's SAGE, Press Pass, and later Bowman Draft Picks and Upper Deck Draft. I'm debating which of these boxes to get, or...

Wait until a few weeks after the draft and get a bunch of boxes of Playoff Prestige. (I'm leaning towards the latter...)
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Prestigue should be the clear winner. UD Draft is starting to pick up some stream given the on card autos...key will be how well its packed (compared to say Press pass where it seems there is one good auto per box). I havent compared the checklists, but in all of these cases (minus maybe some of the rc's in prestigue as some will be short printed)..they're quick flip as the rookies wont be in their pro uniforms.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you can wait until about the second week of June, Donruss Elite will come out. Many of those rookies are numbered and autographed (and are considered true RCs). Much better product than Prestige IMO, but of course, it's a little more expensive...
MasterPattie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

I actually went nuts with Elite last year and was pretty successful. I just feel that getting Prestige early will be good for me, and I'll of course get in on the Elite action as well come June...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I should also mention in the first box I got of Prestige last year I got a Matt Ryan Prestigous Picks autograph numbered out of 25. I was a little disappointed with how low it went at the time, but what can I do now?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I also was thinking about a rip and flip this year with either Bowman Draft or Upper deck draft. They both have on card autos this year, so I'm not sure which product has the greater potential.
fctryseald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

That would appear to be the characteristic that could help those draft products this year. Personally, I haven't bought what used to be Topps Draft Picks in over four years, and I bought some NFL Draft packs last year just to see what it was like...Still leaning towards Prestige but we'll see.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I should also mention in the first box I got of Prestige last year I got a Matt Ryan Prestigous Picks autograph numbered out of 25. I was a little disappointed with how low it went at the time, but what can I do now?
A lot of people sold Ryan too low early in the year, myself included. Sometimes with the lower numbered rare stuff it's best to hang onto it and see how the player does.. it can be the difference in a $20 card and a $200 card.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
A lot of people sold Ryan too low early in the year, myself included. Sometimes with the lower numbered rare stuff it's best to hang onto it and see how the player does.. it can be the difference in a $20 card and a $200 card.
Right. I never found a similar card to mine after their playoff run, but I sold mine probably a week after Prestige was released, and it sold for $80. (I was thinking $150 or so). Maybe I was thinking too high, but I'm pretty certain I would've gotten more had I waited and sold it during their playoff run...)
Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Those are good points about how a new rookie can sell for less in the summer but then have a great rookie season and sell for more. But of course, that can go the other way as well. McFadden sold very well last summer, but now does not sell nearly as well.

But that's part of the fun of collecting rookies...trying to predict how players will do...
MasterPattie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

I honestly think this could be a bad year for the hobby, especially before the season starts. I just don't see the same level of talent we saw last year. I don't see Matthew Stafford, Michael Crabtree and Mark Sanchez selling like Matt Ryan, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones did out of the gate last year, but anything can happen. HOWEVER, I do know this:

If I get autographs or relics of any players from the skill positions (QB, RB, WR), I am not selling them even if I have no idea who they are. Later round picks from 2008 like Chris Johnson, Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson, and Steve Slaton are a few reasons why. I'm better off keeping them anyway than selling them for $2 or $3...
Old 04-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I honestly think this could be a bad year for the hobby, especially before the season starts. I just don't see the same level of talent we saw last year. I don't see Matthew Stafford, Michael Crabtree and Mark Sanchez selling like Matt Ryan, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones did out of the gate last year
A big part of it is which teams those key guys go to and how big of a collector base those teams have.

Based on most of the mock drafts this year, there appears to be more skill-position guys slated to go in the first round than last year, which could help things.

And of course for the later releases, it all depends on which guys get the invite to the rookie photo shoot as those will be the jersey/patch cards that are pulled for the next 6 months.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Agreed. And it's become evident that the team the Top Pick goes to is never a problem. It's obviously going to be the worst team barring a trade, so that won't hurt Stafford's (assuming it's him) value. Like you said, there were few skill position players drafted in the Top 20 last year. Look for a couple more this year, so maybe there are a few more "middle of the road" guys who sell better than unknowns, but not to the level of the top picks.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

i really have a hard time following your reasoning here..last year the only people selling well pre-draft and even pre-training camp were McFadden and Ryan..as stated already this years draft is stocked with skill people-while many not might be hobby saving case hit money makers im sure the values of the likes of Moreno, Wells, McCoy, Ringer,Maclin,Heyward-Bay and i could go on, should remain steady on the resale in the mid range..
Hve you even looked at the resale from the only 2 products thats been released so far (Sage and Press Pass)? looks to me like Crabtree, Stafford, Sanchez are all in the $60-$80 range as far as autos with the Beanie Wells, Moreno, Maclin right behind them in the $30-$50 range..ive even seen money put up for Lauranaitis which is saying something because defensive players hardly get any hobby love..

Anyways i agree that most of the hype depends what team drafts who etc-see Felix Jones/Cowboys last year..i dont think his cards would be anywhere near whre they are if they didnt draft him..

And also what do you mean by later rond picks...of the ones u mentioned only Slaton in my eyes was a later round pick-3rd round 89th overall
if im not mistaken CJ was 1st round 24th overall, Royal 2nd round 42nd overall, and Jackson 2nd round 49th overall..all of them fringe 1st rounders and probably wouldve been had the run on WRs not even started til the 2nd round..

i agree the economy is bad and is having somewhat of an impact on the hobby, but try do some research before you blast this year as possibly being a bad year

thanks
Chris
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think this year's draft class is just as good, if not better than last years class. Just my opinion.
miller45452003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Anything can happen...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Personally it seems that when there is a great rookie season, then the following season is not as good. Take a look at 06 was pretty good and 07...nothing but a few are good Peterson, Russell maybe, Quinn, and C Johnson. Then 2008 was amazing so many rookies had outstanding Rookie season's...the Combine was decent this year with Stanford and maybe Sanchez...who knows.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well maybe that's the reason I'm not as optimistic. The 2008 class, as you mentioned, was so good, common sense says we cannot see that again this year.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

i believe that its more about the "catch the RC" hype more than anything..

as someone referenced 2007 was decent with AP,Russell, Quinn, Lynch, Johnson still having pretty decent value and selling rates even in there 2008 products..maybe not as much as their rookies of course but still decent..i also remember that D Bowe, Anthony Gonzalez, Greg Olsen, Ginn and to a lesser extent Willis, Kolb and Beck even got some hobby love...but after the season and time for 2008 it was time for the new rookie class and 2nd year cards/autos and even some of the rcs dropped in value etc and werent sought after..

last year was the same again..

Ryan of course sold well all year long, Mcfadden was hot to start but even when he didnt play later in the year its not like his card were cheap, and Flacco started slow but went up through the season and same can be said for Royal...while others such as Slaton, Forte, CJ wrent necc popular at first they were definately getting the majority of playing time right after being drafted (no offense-but who wants LenDale White, Benson, and the very aging fragile 2-3 RBs that the Texans had although if they keep the kid from ND he might make nice back-up)

and again it has to do with who drafts them
I.E.-Felix Jones, Mendenhall/Sweed, and somewhat can be said of Flacco/Rice..while the first grouping im not knocking they ability or anything like that but if they werent drafted by the Cowboys/Steelers i dont think they wouldve gotten anywhere near the hobby love that hey recieved

it also depends on your timing and the crazy college/player collectors...pretty much all products the big names are hot right out of the gate with even the 2nd grade players gettin some decent return value..hell i thought i would start my first perosnal collection of Erik Ainge last year since im a UT fan considering he was a 5th round pick and a backup to a back up, but i couldnt get the newer release autos for less than $15-$20..even now osme of the lower end items u would think still get up above $10-$15

i actually think this will be a better year for fooball as far as collecting wise, as for resale depends on the economy and its effects on everyone..but like i said in my first post with Sage cards of Crabtree/Sanchez started $60-$80 for the rarer versions and Stafford/Moreno/Wells/Maclin in the Press Pass right up behind them (except Stafford is same if not higher)..long as you sell the names first you should b ok to hold onto some sleepers..like a Harvin, Hewyard-Bay, Josh Freeman, Pat White (who is also selling god right now), Donald Brown, McCoy, Ringer and i can go on..
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote