Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
I have said all along that he was the best QB in last years draft, only time will tell. Everyone is looking at newton, but it is always the guy no one is paying attention to who steps up and becomes the next superstar, he has all the tools. Working behind Brady and under a proven coach only improves his ability to be great...would not bet against him...
I think the reason the thread started was the fact that everyone is paying attention to him. Also it's rarely overlooked guys who become great QB's, Brady and Warner are exceptions to the rule.
DRS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

I was hoping his cards would be cheap and I would of invested(gamble) about 500$ in him. It very well my take 3 to 5 years to see him in a starting position but if Brady gets hurt his card would sky rocket before he even plays a full game.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Concerns about Mallett can't be dismissed as simple nondescript "character issues." He admitted during combine interviews that he used drugs. He allegedly used marijuana and cocaine. There are numerous reports that his use was beyond recreational, and "addiction fears" kept him out of the 2010 draft.

I feel bad for the guy if he has a problem, but I'd be extremely hesitant to invest any money in a 2nd-string drug-addicted QB.

Report: Mallett admits drug use to NFL teams - CBSSports.com

Character Concern: Ryan Mallett (updated) | NFL Draft Monsters
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
Concerns about Mallett can't be dismissed as simple nondescript "character issues." He admitted during combine interviews that he used drugs. He allegedly used marijuana and cocaine. There are numerous reports that his use was beyond recreational, and "addiction fears" kept him out of the 2010 draft.

I feel bad for the guy if he has a problem, but I'd be extremely hesitant to invest any money in a 2nd-string drug-addicted QB.

He is third string.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:

QFT, I am a die hard Razorback fan, so there is no anti-Mallett bias here.

I was down there when he was a Redshirt Sophmore & Junior (before he got to play and his first season starting), (from a reliable source who partook in the drinking after Mallett left) he went to a party at Frank Broyles' house and did a keg stand, a couple rails and ran off with a Gymnast draped over his shoulders. Guy's a Gronk like animal, I hope for his sake, his family's sake and all of Razorback Nation's sake, he gets his #@#@#@#@ together.

This is coming from a huge Hog fan, love the guy to death, but he seriously needs to ditch the "tall-man syndrome" attitude. Yes Ryan, your #@#@#@#@ does indeed stink, just like everyone else's.

His feet need major improvement if he is ever going to make it. His foot speed is much slower than Brady's and he has a bad tendency to "zip" passes unnecessarily on short throws, especially when flustered or under duress in the pocket. With McDaniels there again, he might be in decent hands.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Plain and simple, future speculation has pushed his prices far beyond what one would think makes sense. With the emergence and subsequent success of guys like Matt Flynn, this will probably happen more often. However, at current price points, there are so many other players with better risk/reward ratios that I wouldn't understand investing too much in Mallet right at this moment.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/coltsfan23
http://www.flickr.com/photos/112087390@N03/sets/72157638871019534/
coltsfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
Plain and simple, future speculation has pushed his prices far beyond what one would think makes sense. With the emergence and subsequent success of guys like Matt Flynn, this will probably happen more often. However, at current price points, there are so many other players with better risk/reward ratios that I wouldn't understand investing too much in Mallet right at this moment.
I wonder how many folks said this about Rodgers (probably what's driving this)? Not doubting your theory though.
Andrew Luck
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS78 View Post
Ryan Leaf was also NFL ready but he was a hot head. I'm not saying Mallett will be like Leaf but I really don't think he is a Patriots kind of guy. Raiders maybe but not the Patriots. My money would be on Hoyer taking over.
I know we have a bad rep but damn, every person with ANY flaw in attitude or gets in trouble with the law is not automatically fit for the raiders...

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlow View Post
I know we have a bad rep but damn, every person with ANY flaw in attitude or gets in trouble with the law is not automatically fit for the raiders...
Yeah that was out of line. Sorry.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #35 (permalink)

I don't have a large invesent in Mallett...yet...
Prices WILL go down in the 2012 season provided Brady is healthy. The assumption is that Mallett will be the heir apparent for the Pats. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, a guy with his talent WILL get a shot to start in the NFL. And, when that happens, his current card prices will look like bargains.
I am HOPING he's the heir apparent to the Pats offense and that he's successful. If not, I plan on having moved most of the major pieces to cover the cost of some select PC cards. Time will tell who's right, but the overall point is a guy with his talent is going to get a shot to start, and newly minted starting QB's cardboard spikes when it's announced. It's apretty simple collecting decision for me since he's on the team I cheer.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMARLIN View Post
You do know Hoyer (Who many have said is the best backup in the NFL) is ahead of him on the depth chart...
I don't care where Mallett is on the depth chart I still think people believe he will be good because he is learning from Brady.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan23 View Post
Agree completely.
Mattspalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
I have said all along that he was the best QB in last years draft, only time will tell. Everyone is looking at newton, but it is always the guy no one is paying attention to who steps up and becomes the next superstar, he has all the tools. Working behind Brady and under a proven coach only improves his ability to be great...would not bet against him...
It's not always the case that it is the guy nobody is paying attention to. Both Mannings had eyes on them at all times. John Elway was a #1 overall. Troy Aikman(freakin' Bruin) and Terry Bradshaw were other #1's that lived up to expectations. I'm not discrediting Mallett, but I am thinking that you are discrediting Newton quite a bit. (Dalton probably too). Guys like rodgers, Brady, Favre, etc. are the exceptions, not the rule.
GoClips! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:

Soap box much? this sort of thinking "drug addicted qb" is why guys fall far from where they should be drafted like randy moss and make gms look like idiots for paszsing on them. As for your fears pal if he was some addict you would have heard about that by now. He was just a kid in college who partied. I thought everyone did that. If your too stupid to not think that 90 percent or more professional atheletes try drugs and alchol in collge you need to grow up because they do. The difference is that some guys get caught and some don't. They pretty much all do it

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn. Don't ever worry what other people think. Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
Soap box much? this sort of thinking "drug addicted qb" is why guys fall far from where they should be drafted like randy moss and make gms look like idiots for paszsing on them. As for your fears pal if he was some addict you would have heard about that by now. He was just a kid in college who partied. I thought everyone did that. If your too stupid to not think that 90 percent or more professional atheletes try drugs and alchol in collge you need to grow up because they do. The difference is that some guys get caught and some don't. They pretty much all do it
I assume by your rambling incoherent reply and quick assent to anger that you are too young to remember Todd Marinovich.

I really liked the part where you said "if this was true we would have heard about it," completely disregarding the two articles I linked. No, not every player in the NFL, especially not ones who become franchise QB's, have drug problems.

I await your next response between third and fourth period.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #41 (permalink)

Ryan mallet has a tremendous arm. His decision making is absolutely confounding at times if not downright atrocious in college. He's a cocky version of Drew Bledsoe but not as talented. That's why he wasnt a first rounder.
torodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFlow View Post
You're right, they go the Bengals!
Andrew Luck
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
He had (I'm pretty sure he got his life on track after being drafted, at least he better have) habitual drug & alcohol issues at Arkansas, not just "sampling". He partied like Ryan Leaf.
Andrew Luck