Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,157
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510mikey View Post
you are nuts !!!
Just to inform you that is true. You may not believe it but it is. There are people who make a living faking patch cards.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS78 View Post
That article says nothing to contradict my statement. They talk about people faking entire cards, and go on to say ""We send scans to the card companies every day and ask 'did you use this patch?', Anderson said of some of the higher quality logo patch cards that are submitted. "

So outside of sending some cards of higher quality logo patches No where did they state that they authenticate the patch itself.

Obviously if someone uses a Yankees patch in a Packers jersey card, or horribly mutilates the patch window when switching patches with a better one and its so obvious what happened and BGS refuses to grade the card is one thing. Again a lot fakers send their junk to BGS to add a layer of authenticity to their work, and a lot of times it slides right through. Due to the fact that BGS does not authenticate the patch. Just like I said.

Do they refuse to grade obviously faked patches? Yup. But thats just a byproduct of doing their job. So again, you are paying for them to make sure the card itself is real. They will reject a card that is trimmed, or if the patch is obviously faked, but when they slab it that does not mean the patch was put in by the factory. Just that it was good enough to get past the BGS obvious smell test. There have been dozens of cards posted on here that were slabbed by BGS and the patches were fake. There is a nice Eli Manning going around from Hot Prospects that has an ironed on Reebok logo fresh off a replica jersey.

A fellow board member nailed it with this.
SCU Scam School – Sports Cards Uncensored

"Know that Graded Does Not Mean Real

I cant stress this enough. BGS and PSA do not authenticate anything but the card itself. Patches, autos on card, etc are all services outside of normal grading. Scammers use this to their advantage when they authenticate cards that have fake patches or fake autos. If the card itself is real, BGS and PSA consider it to be real, regardless of the other stuff on the card."
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,386
Default

My favorite






Again people, use your best judgement when buying a patch card. Dont buy the holder and assume that everything in it is authentic.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,157
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

I have probably seen a couple hundred fake patch cards that were graded. Just go to a big show and you see them everywhere. Only safe ones are single color. Even heard about someone faking a patch card and resealing it in a pack, then doing a box break on camera.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
My favorite






Again people, use your best judgement when buying a patch card. Dont buy the holder and assume that everything in it is authentic.
how is it the card doesnt get damaged putting the fake serial numbers and patch in it ?
510mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510mikey View Post
how is it the card doesnt get damaged putting the fake serial numbers and patch in it ?
The serial numbers are not fake Einstein.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
DRS78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
That article says nothing to contradict my statement. They talk about people faking entire cards, and go on to say ""We send scans to the card companies every day and ask 'did you use this patch?', Anderson said of some of the higher quality logo patch cards that are submitted. "

So outside of sending some cards of higher quality logo patches No where did they state that they authenticate the patch itself.

Obviously if someone uses a Yankees patch in a Packers jersey card, or horribly mutilates the patch window when switching patches with a better one and its so obvious what happened and BGS refuses to grade the card is one thing. Again a lot fakers send their junk to BGS to add a layer of authenticity to their work, and a lot of times it slides right through. Due to the fact that BGS does not authenticate the patch. Just like I said.

Do they refuse to grade obviously faked patches? Yup. But thats just a byproduct of doing their job. So again, you are paying for them to make sure the card itself is real. They will reject a card that is trimmed, or if the patch is obviously faked, but when they slab it that does not mean the patch was put in by the factory. Just that it was good enough to get past the BGS obvious smell test. There have been dozens of cards posted on here that were slabbed by BGS and the patches were fake. There is a nice Eli Manning going around from Hot Prospects that has an ironed on Reebok logo fresh off a replica jersey.

A fellow board member nailed it with this.
SCU Scam School – Sports Cards Uncensored

"Know that Graded Does Not Mean Real

I cant stress this enough. BGS and PSA do not authenticate anything but the card itself. Patches, autos on card, etc are all services outside of normal grading. Scammers use this to their advantage when they authenticate cards that have fake patches or fake autos. If the card itself is real, BGS and PSA consider it to be real, regardless of the other stuff on the card."
Sure it does, you said they don't care about the patch in you first post.
DRS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 800
Default

I've sent out SP Authentic and Exquisite cards with nice patches before to Beckett only to have them returned ungraded because they questioned the patch. Still have the receipt and the so called reason why they didn't grade. So yes, Beckett does look into the authenticity of a patch. I even got into a debate on the Beckett forums a while back with a BGS supporter after the whole ordeal.
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,157
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0bull View Post
I've sent out SP Authentic and Exquisite cards with nice patches before to Beckett only to have them returned ungraded because they questioned the patch. Still have the receipt and the so called reason why they didn't grade. So yes, Beckett does look into the authenticity of a patch. I even got into a debate on the Beckett forums a while back with a BGS supporter after the whole ordeal.
Well everyone they do not grade they grade a bunch more.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"

Last edited by Jackg1980; 04-02-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ***Unknown***
Posts: 973
Default

imo, there is little difference b/w a stranger faking a patch and having a "legit" patch/jersey from Topps/Panini. That is to say, the 100 "jerseys" that the players were at the same time [see Ingram photo] have been worn for a few milliseconds. big whoop...
__________________
Check out my Buster Posey 18 card lot for sale on EBAY!!!! ROOKIES INCLUDED
mimi mo money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,157
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi mo money View Post
imo, there is little difference b/w a stranger faking a patch and having a "legit" patch/jersey from Topps/Panini. That is to say, the 100 "jerseys" that the players were at the same time [see Ingram photo] have been worn for a few milliseconds. big whoop...
It may even turn out that these worn jersey are probably fake anyway. But still I rather have a real jersey worn by the player for a second and a fake one worn by a scammer. Huge difference.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Well everyone they do not grade they grade a bunch more.
Unfortunately they are not perfect and they do miss just like the crosby above (as well as the ones I sent out IMO)but based on my experience they at least make some sort of effort to authenticate patches. If that wasn't the case my cards would've been slabbed.
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
The serial numbers are not fake Einstein.
both are 88/99 dimwit
510mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
allday_vikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510mikey View Post
both are 88/99 dimwit
^^^^I just LOL!!!
__________________
I'm a SUPER COLLECTOR of, "autographs not issued by the manufactures" formally recognized by JSA but not by Beckett!
allday_vikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Drdduet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 867
Default

Not every sick patch is a fake. Many of those Ravens patches were put into the product--there's is no doubt about that. There's also no doubt that there are many fake patches out there as well. Card companies are the only entities with any ability to protect the integrity of their releases--I've heard it here before and wish they would listen--photo document all patch cards!
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
allday_vikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
Not every sick patch is a fake. Many of those Ravens patches were put into the product--there's is no doubt about that. There's also no doubt that there are many fake patches out there as well. Card companies are the only entities with any ability to protect the integrity of their releases--I've heard it here before and wish they would listen--photo document all patch cards!
Maybe they have something to hide from us!!!
__________________
I'm a SUPER COLLECTOR of, "autographs not issued by the manufactures" formally recognized by JSA but not by Beckett!
allday_vikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Drdduet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday_vikes View Post
Maybe they have something to hide from us!!!
What would they want to hide?

That there patch selections really suck? That would mean they count on fake patches to stimulate buying of their stock of product, which is usually mostly gone before cards hit the secondary market. I'm not sure what they would have gain by hiding this??? what are you thinking?
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
allday_vikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
What would they want to hide?

That there patch selections really suck? That would mean they count on fake patches to stimulate buying of their stock of product, which is usually mostly gone before cards hit the secondary market. I'm not sure what they would have gain by hiding this??? what are you thinking?
That we could put the pieces together and realize they're not even putting in the, "event worn" jersey but some flea market ones!! lol
__________________
I'm a SUPER COLLECTOR of, "autographs not issued by the manufactures" formally recognized by JSA but not by Beckett!
allday_vikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Grid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS78 View Post
Sure it does, you said they don't care about the patch in you first post.

OK you are right, BGS cares about the patch and they never would grade a fake patch

The fact your article says they question SOME of the patches when its a higher end logo patch does not imply, whatsoever, that they authenticate the patch that is in the card. It just means they catch the obvious. Like I said, if they catch a blatant fake patch they will reject it. But to say they check all patch cards, and to assume all cards graded by Beckett means the patch is authentic is false.

And the fact you keep pushing this topic leads me to believe you must make a lot of fake patches and send it to BGS to try and gain confidence when reselling them. Why else would you keep insinuating that everything BGS slabs would be authentic? What do you have to gain from this?

Me, I'm try to help other collectors out by saying just because it is slabbed doesnt mean its authentic. Like the Sid cards above. Why would you want to lead them into thinking something else? Makes no sense. Than again, most of your posts dont.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown32 View Post
You can't compare 2008 ravens cards to 2011 or 2012. The logo patches are used much more now than they were in 2008.
That's an incorrect statement. Of course you can make that comparison because that's the year it started. I put this set together when they came out. I opened a couple of cases and also searched the e-bay daily. Within days of SPA hitting the streets there were at least 6-8 of the Rice patches in SPA. Flacco's were redemptions in SPA and Exquisite.

After the 2008 season, these patches were common. What wasn't that year was the Reebok logos in SPA. Since 2009, the Reebok logo has appeared in a number of products.

This card is probably not a fake.

Part of the problem now with the hobby is too many people are yelling, "fake" about everything. There is little trust out there and everyone thinks everyone else is trying to screw them over. Now, let's further fuel the fires of mistrust by trying to debunk graded cards.

My suggestion would be to buy what you like for your PC. It's not going anywhere.

After 3000+ purchases on e-bay over the past 5 hrs, I'm almost certain that someone has probably sold me a fake or altered card. I would still trust most of the graded purchases from BGS to be 95% accurate.
mjc829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510mikey View Post
both are 88/99 dimwit
That's because they are the same card. The top scan is the "before" with the patch that was in the card when it was originally pulled from a pack. The bottom scan is the "after" where the original patch was replaced with a fake patch and then slabbed by BGS. In other words, the 2 scans demonstrate that BGS slabbed a fake patch.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who is the dimwit here.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,157
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc829 View Post
That's an incorrect statement. Of course you can make that comparison because that's the year it started. I put this set together when they came out. I opened a couple of cases and also searched the e-bay daily. Within days of SPA hitting the streets there were at least 6-8 of the Rice patches in SPA. Flacco's were redemptions in SPA and Exquisite.

After the 2008 season, these patches were common. What wasn't that year was the Reebok logos in SPA. Since 2009, the Reebok logo has appeared in a number of products.

This card is probably not a fake.

Part of the problem now with the hobby is too many people are yelling, "fake" about everything. There is little trust out there and everyone thinks everyone else is trying to screw them over. Now, let's further fuel the fires of mistrust by trying to debunk graded cards.

My suggestion would be to buy what you like for your PC. It's not going anywhere.

After 3000+ purchases on e-bay over the past 5 hrs, I'm almost certain that someone has probably sold me a fake or altered card. I would still trust most of the graded purchases from BGS to be 95% accurate.
I heard about this one guy who shaves cards for a living and all of them get graded. He is believed to have been doing this for up to 20 years. Supposely he shaves hundreds every month. Hopefully they catch him.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/281279-fake-patch-bgs-card.html
Posted By For Type Date
Sports Cards Uncensored SCU Scam School This thread Refback 05-25-2012 02:13 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.