Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Donruss Leaf Playoff Panini

Well I guess it is no secret that this company has in the last year and a half really gotten under my skin. Up till then I don't ever remember have any complaints. They could do nothing wrong in my opinion. How time has changed. I was thrilled to see Panini take over, but after last week. I feel they should have just demolished the company. If you like a company you should tell everyone spread the joy, If your disappointed you should let the company know, so they can correct the problem. So, when you tell the company and they say oh, there is nothing wrong with the way things are going, everything is great. Then they perform the most underhanded cruel thing they could, where does that leave you? Well this morning I have just written and filed a complaint with the BBB, I went by work filed out my vacation request form for next month and had it approved. Was planning to take a trip to Las Vegas or to Canton, but it now appears that I will be spending part or my vacation filing papers for small claims court. Not really what I had in mind, but what else can one do? It's really amazing to me how a company will sit there and continue to perform business the way they do not giving a care about how bad it affects us the collectors and those of you who are card dealers.
SCtxholdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

so uhh. what happened?
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

read my post on Contenders Longevity mailday

Mailday........... longevity - Contenders
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Wow...guess I'd love to see what was behind this. I'm giving UD a few more weeks and I will probably call them tonight to address the few unanswered emails I've had lately, but it would take a few bad dealings for me to hit the BBB up as I feel this is the last step someone should take.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtxholdem View Post
read my post on Contenders Longevity mailday

Mailday........... longevity - Contenders
yikes. that sucks. i'd be pissed too if i had a chris johnson card replaced with peyton..........hills? wtf is that lol
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
yikes. that sucks. i'd be pissed too if i had a chris johnson card replaced with peyton..........hills? wtf is that lol
that hillis is actually an SP, you could probably get more for it than you could for a cj if you sold it to the right person, though alot of people need the cj too

Gotta love the smell of Rougned Odor in the morning
cp312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think they will take care of you if You contact them... This is a bit over the top... Small claims court really?!? I understand your upset, but Im telling you THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU IF YOU CONTACT THEM.

The best two words to describe this hobby. " CardBoard Crack"
Gore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fsu2007

I have been waiting on quite a few redemptions from 2007 national treasures. I had a problem getting replacement and they were past the 4 month window. Well the other day finally I got emails from them and they are replacing all of the redemptions that I had pending. I saw some of the cards they were sending and when I get them on Wednesday I will be happy. One I remembered they replaced was a Kirk Gibson auto/5 and a Gene Barry ameircana redemption with a Cal Ripken Jr diamond king auto #1-5

The other replacements I will list when they come in on Wednesday. So I think they will take care of you.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I said from the beginning that the Panini takeover was a bad thing. im not saying this is the reason, but its adding to a growing list.

My Cordarrelle Patterson Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/cordarrelle-patterson
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be spending part or my vacation filing papers for small claims court.
C'mon. Nearly everyone on here who breaks a lot has been screwed with redemptions at some point. Contact them and see if they will make it better. But to let it ruin your vacation is a little over the top.

And I'm guessing since the Panini deal just happened, 95% of the company is still running as if nothing has changed and it's still DLP. Any kind of major changes will take much longer than the few months that have gone by so far. I'm not trying to stick up for them, but with big deals like this, any change is very slow to happen, especially changes that will be visible to the consumer.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, and I thought that my wife had the biggest pole up her #@#@#@ this weekend. Call them, I have NEVER had a bad experience when I have called them and asked them what is up?

Two weeks ago I had to call because I only got 11 of the 13 cards I redeemed in a lot- the two missing were $100+ cards. They figured the mistake and upgraded me to a lower print run

IMO its not like your dealing with Topps who absolutely doesnt care about screwing customers over with redemptions or UD whom it takes 5 phone calls and/or emails to get something resolved.

PS Forget Strasburg... Jordan Zimmermann is the Next Big thing in DC in 2009 and Beyond!
DadofTwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
2007 Contenders Kenny Irons Redemption....Replaced w/ Bob Griese National Treasures #'d to 38
2007 Longevity Michael Bush Ruby Auto Patch #'d to 5 ....replaced w/ Trent Edwards leaf limited #'d to 99
2007 Longevity LaRon Landry Auto Patch #'d to 10 ..... replaced w/ 2007 Contenders Matt Moore
2008 Contenders Chris Johnson Auto ..........Replaced w/ 2008 Peyton Hillis Auto Contenders
You might be disappointed when it comes to the player selection of the replacements, but in terms of sell value it would probably be pretty close...

A Chris Johnson Contenders Redemption recently sold for $40. While Peyton Hillis isn't nearly as big of a name, he is a SP Auto. I would be VERY surprised if the Hillis didn't bring at least $40 if not a decent amount higher.

A Playoff Absolute Michael Bush Patch Auto #'d to 10 went for $35. If your Trent Edwards Leaf Limited #'d to 99 is also a patch auto, those have brought $25 and $30. So you're down maybe $10-$15 on this one, although Edwards is a much better name than Bush.

I think either you or they probably have the next two flipped around in terms of what was replaced with what.

A Kenny Irons Playoff Contenders Auto redemption would probably be about a $5-8 cash value card. I mean, even his exquisite Auto Patch RC only sells for about $12, and that is a FAR better product than Contenders. So if you figure they replaced this card with a Matt Moore Contenders Auto from the same year, (a $4-6 cash value card) you're really only looking at being down $2-3 on this replacement.

As for the Bob Griese, you'd really have to give more info on what it is. If its an Autograph, an auto of him from that product #'d to 26 brought $36.50.

A Laron Landry Auto Patch #'d to 10 recently only got bid up to $30.09... the reserve was not met, but its unlikely it would have gone much higher with no reserve considering a true 1 of 1 Auto Patch Landry from a different product went for only $50.

So actually if they sent you a Bob Griese Auto to replace the Landry, I'd say you probably came out even if not ahead. (Why you were upset about this card seemingly replacing the Contenders Irons Auto, I have no idea).

So all in all, the sell value of what you received back versus the 4 listed redemption is probably about a $20 loss. If $20 means enough to you to file in small claims court and ruin your vacation, then maybe you should choose a different hobby... or at least NOT planning a trip to Vegas. Again, I can understand if the player selection wasn't to your liking, but the cards you tried to redeem either didn't end up being made or were depleted. If you don't like the ones they sent you, just sell them and use the money to buy something you do want. And as others have said, you could have probably just given them a call and said you were unhappy with the replacements and they probably would have sent you a bonus card or two... which IMO would have been more than enough to cover the ~$20 lost sell value that you received back. How much is it going to cost to file your small claims suit in court?

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike

Last edited by ohiomike; 06-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
You might be disappointed when it comes to the player selection of the replacements, but in terms of sell value it would probably be pretty close...

A Chris Johnson Contenders Redemption recently sold for $40. While Peyton Hillis isn't nearly as big of a name, he is a SP Auto. I would be VERY surprised if the Hillis didn't bring at least $40 if not a decent amount higher.

A Playoff Absolute Michael Bush Patch Auto #'d to 10 went for $35. If your Trent Edwards Leaf Limited #'d to 99 is also a patch auto, those have brought $25 and $30. So you're down maybe $10-$15 on this one, although Edwards is a much better name than Bush.

I think either you or they probably have the next two flipped around in terms of what was replaced with what.

A Kenny Irons Playoff Contenders Auto redemption would probably be about a $5-8 cash value card. I mean, even his exquisite Auto Patch RC only sells for about $12, and that is a FAR better product than Contenders. So if you figure they replaced this card with a Matt Moore Contenders Auto from the same year, (a $4-6 cash value card) you're really only looking at being down $2-3 on this replacement.

As for the Bob Griese, you'd really have to give more info on what it is. If its an Autograph, an auto of him from that product #'d to 26 brought $36.50.

A Laron Landry Auto Patch #'d to 10 recently only got bid up to $30.09... the reserve was not met, but its unlikely it would have gone much higher with no reserve considering a true 1 of 1 Auto Patch Landry from a different product went for only $50.

So actually if they sent you a Bob Griese Auto to replace the Landry, I'd say you probably came out even if not ahead. (Why you were upset about this card seemingly replacing the Contenders Irons Auto, I have no idea).

So all in all, the sell value of what you received back versus the 4 listed redemption is probably about a $20 loss. If $20 means enough to you to file in small claims court and ruin your vacation, then maybe you should choose a different hobby... or at least NOT planning a trip to Vegas. Again, I can understand if the player selection wasn't to your liking, but the cards you tried to redeem either didn't end up being made or were depleted. If you don't like the ones they sent you, just sell them and use the money to buy something you do want. And as others have said, you could have probably just given them a call and said you were unhappy with the replacements and they probably would have sent you a bonus card or two... which IMO would have been more than enough to cover the ~$20 lost sell value that you received back. How much is it going to cost to file your small claims suit in court?

100% agree. I thought I was going to see some huge names and extremely high end cards. However, you are off by around $20-30. Small claims for this? Don't ever by a UD product man. People on this bpard has gotten taken for a lot worse.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not exactly sure where your getting your prices but my Beckett list the Kenny Irons Contenders at $450.00 not at $20 or $30. But hey if your happy with it I'll gladly let you have either one for a 2007 Kenny Irons Contender, Hell, I'll even throw in $20.00

Last edited by SCtxholdem; 06-01-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I wish I would have thought of small claims when Fleer was going out of business. Maybe then I could have gotten something else for my Dwayne Wade redemption instead of that Dujaun Wagner. Or the Tony Parker auto patch out of 25 that netted me zilch. Maybe I could sue UD for pain and suffering...
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Not exactly sure where your getting your prices but my Beckett list the Kenny Irons Contenders at $450.00 not at $20 or $30. But hey if your happy with it I'll gladly let you have either one for a 2007 Kenny Irons Contender, Hell, I'll even throw in $20.00
You really didn't have to PM me. Look up on Ebay for ended auctions. That last Contenders Irons sold for $8.50. Hell, I didn't even think any of the contenders auto's were even filled. But here you go!

This is the preview ticket

2007 Playoff Contenders Kenny Irons Autograph RC 49/50 - eBay (item 260413728907 end time May-26-09 15:43:34 PDT)
Peanuts 1 (1953)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 06-01-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think the Preview Ticket was from a different Donruss/Leaf product? It was NOT from Playoff Contenders?
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
I think the Preview Ticket was from a different Donruss/Leaf product? It was NOT from Playoff Contenders?
I couldn't remember. However, was the Contenders or National Treasures ever filled? I was under the impression these two cards were never filled in the first place. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I am not gonna get in arguement over this with the OP.
Peanuts 1 (1953)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 06-01-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Kenny Irons Preview Ticket books 25.00 the 2007 Rookie Ticket is 450.00
Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
You really didn't have to PM me. Look up on Ebay for ended auctions. That last Contenders Irons sold for $8.50. Hell, I didn't even think any of the contenders auto's were even filled. But here you go!

This is the preview ticket

2007 Playoff Contenders Kenny Irons Autograph RC 49/50 - eBay (item 260413728907 end time May-26-09 15:43:34 PDT)

That's not the same card. That is a preview ticket auto which is basically worthless. It's not a part of the regulars Contenders set of auto's.

His Contenders rookie auto is an SP with only 50 copies. It is the 3rd lowest print run ever for a Contenders rookie auto which is why it books for $450. You rarely ever see one for sale, especially now that its been 2 years, but back when 2007 Contenders came out, it sold for crazy money.

The OP never stated whether he pulled the redemption or bought it back when the price was at a peak. If he bought the redemption back in early 2008 then he has a serious gripe.

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Ok I think people are getting a little confused I will break it down

Its a 2007 Playoff Contenders Kenny Irons Rookie Ticket BV $450.00 not the Preview which books $25.00
Its a 2007 Leaf Rookies And Stars Longevity #220 Michael Bush Ruby Jumbo Swatch Auto Serial #'d to less than 5....no price due to scarcity.... not the 2007 Leaf Rookies And Stars #220 Michael Bush #'d to 99....BV $30.00
Its a 2007 Leaf Rookies And Stars Longevity #237 LaRon Landry Jumbo Swatch Auto Serial #'d to 10....no price due to scarcity.... not the 2007 Leaf Rookies And Stars #237 LaRon Landry #'d to 249....BV $25.00
And yes the Chris Johnson and Peyton Hills book both at 100.00 I am disappointed in the replacement but it is a fair trade, but the previous 3 are not
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

The Contenders Kenny Iron I pulled at the Local card shop in Montgomery Alabama, the day the day of its release, It was mailed out and Donruss recieved and signed for the card Jan 17 at 136pm according to the Post Office.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
The Contenders Kenny Iron I pulled at the Local card shop in Montgomery Alabama, the day the day of its release, It was mailed out and Donruss recieved and signed for the card Jan 17 at 136pm according to the Post Office.

At least you pulled it and didn't pay $300 + for it to complete the set. It sucks either way, especially for Contenders set builders, that the card wont be made.

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

they probbly gave ya that as kenny irons isnt in the league nomore and even tho its a sp it shouldnt have a bv untill its made just the way i feel
bmarshallfan is offline   Reply With Quote