Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   FOOTBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/)
-   -   Thoughts on Triple Threads Football ??? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/3110-thoughts-triple-threads-football.html)

BAMBAM 12-06-2007 06:51 PM

Thoughts on Triple Threads Football ???

In a moment of stupidity, weakness, brilliance or a combination of the three I upped my order from 3 boxes of Triple Threads FB to a 9 box case. Within each 18 box master case there is supposed to be either a 1/1 auto or a triple auto. Last year I only did 2 boxes and hit the 1/1 Emmitt WW auto. According to this site, the same goes for this year AND they seem to imply more patches will be included. I remember last year the jerseys were just about all single color swatches.

The thing that has me wondering if I messed up is that it is coming out pretty close to Contenders unless one of them (probably more likely to happen with TT than Contenders) get pushed back.

1.) Anybody else planning on doing this in a couple of weeks ?

2.) Do you think it makes more sense to do 9 or 18 because of the guaranteed "BIG HIT" per half case ? While I got real lucky last year hitting the case hit with just 2 boxes it probably won't happen again.

csun22 12-06-2007 07:25 PM

I'm actually thinking about getting some of this product, but I haven't decided if I want to do the 9 or 18 box case. The pre-sale auctions on eBay seem to be going for REALLY cheap, so not sure what to make of that, but I am definitely interested in trying Triple Threads this year....I have yet to get a case hit from this product....but I haven't bought more than a couple boxes each year.

UCLAalumni 12-06-2007 07:39 PM

i like this product

go_steelers07 12-06-2007 07:41 PM

i like what Brent said in another post....... Baseball is where it's at.

football is just too damn hard to make money on.

UCLAalumni 12-06-2007 07:44 PM

yeah..i mean baseball...but for last year's basketball, the current price is fun too...lots of good stuff

swjedi2000 12-06-2007 07:46 PM

I ordered a 18 box case. I dont think I will open though.

Jughead 12-06-2007 08:38 PM

The only thing that will help this product is if they cut production, and if they were concerned about this, they would not have made it to begin with. The guaranteed hit per 9-box shipper is not going to make enough of a difference for a ~1500-dollar purchase.

I'd do like when Exquisite came out, Bam, and make your own pack by buying singles on eBay. I really have a bad feeling about ripping this one.

Brad 12-06-2007 09:11 PM

I was originally going to do an 18-box case, but I think I'm going to skip it now. With very few rookies that you'll make any real $ on besides Peterson, I think it's going to be hard to break even on this stuff.

swjedi2000 12-06-2007 09:39 PM

It is very hard to make money busting this. Even if you hit a Montana auto...what $125 or so? And thats a big hit. What about the J. Thomas, Y. Figures auto RCs....junk money...$20 - $30 bucks at most. That will be the most of your autos. I will sell unopened. Good luck to those who bust. I hope you get Peterson RC autos, triple patch HOF 1/1 cards galore and prove me wrong.

Brad 12-06-2007 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=swjedi2000;22207]It is very hard to make money busting this. Even if you hit a Montana auto...what $125 or so? And thats a big hit. What about the J. Thomas, Y. Figures auto RCs....junk money...$20 - $30 bucks at most. That will be the most of your autos. I will sell unopened. Good luck to those who bust. I hope you get Peterson RC autos, triple patch HOF 1/1 cards galore and prove me wrong.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Even with an 18-box master case, you are only getting 18 autos total. There are a lot of worthless rookies this year that Topps will fill this product with, and if last year is any indication, it's likely that 14-15 of those 18 autos will be rookies. And the jersey cards usually don't bring much either. I remember Favre/Marino/Elway triple GUs going for like $40-50 last year.

So if you want to break even, you pretty much have to get a Peterson auto, plus have your triple and/or 1/1 be of some HOFers

solt0131 12-06-2007 10:01 PM

Stick with Contenders of SPA, not Triple Threads....trust me on this one.

rainmanesq 12-06-2007 10:47 PM

i like triple threads IN THEORY. as such, if i WERE Going to bust, i'd do an 18 box case. however, REALITY shows that triple threads baseball, basketball, and football do NOT make good products to make your $ back.

BAMBAM 12-06-2007 10:52 PM

I'm actually doing a case of each of those as well. I was actually trying to get another case of SPA but was limited to one by my supplier who was also limited. Would rather do another 12 box case of SPA than a 9 box case of TT because of their track record but since I could only get one at the right price I went in this direction. Probably a mistake but we'll see. I was lucky as hell with only 2 bxs. of 06 TT FB and 4 bxs. of 07 TT Baseball so maybe the streak will continue.......at least I hope so. I can't take another beating like I did with Leaf Limited last week.:rolleyes:

brentandbecca 12-06-2007 11:06 PM

I HAVE OPENED 4 18-box cases of triple threads bb 2006, made $3100 (that's when it was $2k a case), opened 2006 football 1 case $2850, made $2451 back and hit one of the BEST triple #/9 manning/harrison/addai triple auto and sold it SB week for $400, only other better triple in set was favre/montana/elway auto, so hmmmm...then opened 3 cases of '07 baseball at $8850 (only got $7284 back)...

so it was great at first price break, but now at current levels, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST FUN BREAKS OF YEAR, AND FOR HIGH END, IT IS MOST CONSISTENT AT COMING CLOSE TO GETTING VALUE PER PACK, but do not expect to make $, best card will be triple autos 1 per master case and it will sell $250-$350 at best...so it will be fun, but don't expect to make $, rather have fun

csun22 12-07-2007 01:23 AM

If you're willing to take the risk on a pre-sale case on eBay, you MIGHT be able to break even or make a little money. Checkout the latest prices for some of the pre-sell cases......just gotta be sure (obviously) that the person you buy from is reputable.

I was just thinking I'd want to open a few boxes at least even if I don't do a case because I like the product and I do like you can get some older autos/memorabilia....making a profit on anything I decide to sell wouldn't hurt either :D

hockeyjunkie99 12-07-2007 09:35 AM

Have I mentioned that I am still waiting for my Redemption from Topps for my triple threads basketball Emerald Triple Relice Auto #/18??....LOL:D

Brad 12-07-2007 11:08 AM

I'd like to see a checklist of the triple autos. Topps.com has the players listed, but not the combinations. There are a lot of 3rd tier rookies (Lorenzo Booker, Michael Bush, Troy Smith, Robert Meachem, etc...) so I'm wondering if there is a chance of getting 3 of these on one card, or if they are putting those guys with established stars.

csun22 12-07-2007 11:50 AM

Pre-sale 9 case lot went for $710 on eBay just this morning.....awfully low

BAMBAM 12-07-2007 12:16 PM

You mean 9 box lot right ? I would bet my entire collection that the "winner" will NEVER SEE anything close to 9 boxes of TT FB at that price. NO WAY !!!!!!!!

csun22 12-07-2007 01:16 PM

Lol, you're right :) 9-box case. Yeah, I'm guessing the guy will just end up refunded the winning bidder at the end :P I'm still surprised at how low its selling for though.