Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dallas Cowboys put Dez Bryant on double-secret probation

Dallas Cowboys put Dez Bryant on double-secret probation | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys have been dealing with receiver Dez Bryant's inconsistency on the field, and his missteps off it, since they selected him with the 24th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft. Bryant has ridiculous athleticism and the most impressive catch radius this side of Calvin Johnson, but he's also dug himself quite a few holes with his behavior -- most notably, with an incident that took place on July 20, when he had Class A misdemeanor charges filed against him after his mother, Angela Bryant, called 911 and said that her son had assaulted her.

Three days later, Ms. Bryant decided that she did not want to press charges. The Dallas County district attorney's office is still reviewing the case.

The Cowboys were sufficiently unimpressed. Owner Jerry Jones waited until the end of July to talk with Bryant, because, as Jones said, he didn't want to come at it from the wrong place.

"One of the reasons I didn't [earlier], because I didn't want to talk to him emotionally. I was disappointed," Jones said. "As a daddy, sometimes you're not supposed to spank when you're mad. I wanted to get the information but also wanted to get my mind right so that we could really have a good talk about this ... I don't have a feeling one way or another, but we have talked."

When the team broke camp in Oxnard, Calif. and returned to Dallas on Aug. 23, Bryant was presented with a series of conditions he must meet if he is to remain with the team. Judging from the specifics, we're guessing that Bryant has been lighting metropolitan Dallas up to an impressive degree.

Per ESPN Dallas, Bryant now has the following "restrictions":

Quote:
A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;
No drinking alcohol.
He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.
He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.
A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.
Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.
Sounds reasonable for your average citizen, though some in a certain recreational strata might find the list excessively constrictive.

"Oh yeah, very much willing to do anything he can to help himself and help the team," Jones said of Bryant's apparent willingness to meet the terms. "He's very open-minded and cooperative. He's doing the right things by his teammates and everybody is counting on him."

Jones, who has dealt with some interesting character examples since he bought the team in 1989, was asked if this was the strictest "probation" ever handed to one of his players, a list that has included Michael Irvin, Tank Johnson and Adam "Pacman" Jones.

"No, this is not the strictest at all," Jones said.

In 27 games and 15 starts over two NFL seasons, Bryant has caught 108 passes for 1,489 yards and 15 touchdowns.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

lol...Bryant's got a babysitter.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm almost surprised more teams don't hire around the clock security for some players. You spend a couple hundred K to hire and entourage to be a player all the time to keep him out of trouble. It seems like a pretty simple solution to solve a problem. There are too many players out there that are incredibly valuable to a team but just have no idea how to take care of their lives.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm glad to see he isn't fighting this. Dez hasn't had the greatest childhood so this could help him in the long term.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The piece of #@#@#@#@ should have been kicked off the team immediately after roughing his Mom up. I would rather shoot myself than put my hands on my own mother. Guarantee I'd shoot anybody else that did.
Norfolk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post
I'm almost surprised more teams don't hire around the clock security for some players. You spend a couple hundred K to hire and entourage to be a player all the time to keep him out of trouble. It seems like a pretty simple solution to solve a problem. There are too many players out there that are incredibly valuable to a team but just have no idea how to take care of their lives.
yeah god forbid these grown men have to grow up and act like adults...all on their own. Teams should just negotiate this in to the salary structure on some players.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cowboys, where the security cameras are tuned on the employees and not the people trying to get into the facility. Pathetic.
Texas Brave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure any NFL player is worth it if he requires this much upkeep.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Read about this last night. Seems like Cowboys fan should be embarrassed by the actions the owner has done to keep Dez in line. The dudes personality isn't going to completely turn 180* because he has a few babysitters and rules to follow from Papa Jones. Pathetic.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm shocked Goodell hasn't stepped in, because that's what he does best...micro manage the NFL... but then again Jerry Jones probably pulls his purse strings too.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
I'm shocked Goodell hasn't stepped in, because that's what he does best...micro manage the NFL... but then again Jerry Jones probably pulls his purse strings too.
Goodell is too busy trying to further dilute the NFL by expanding in Europe and trying to force feed an NFL franchise in LA.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
Goodell is too busy trying to further dilute the NFL by expanding in Europe and trying to force feed an NFL franchise in LA.
true......

Old 08-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

So where's the toga party being held at then?
HenneFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm sorry but how old is he???

My God....
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote