Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default Where to sell my football cards

Well, after posting almost 300 cards in the past 2 weeks on eBay and only getting 22 sold, thinking about selling elsewhere. Where's a good place to sell singles, either jersey, auto, or base/insert cards? Want to try to offload what I can so I can make room and cash to get more newer boxes and eBay doesn't look like it's too promising anymore. A lot of Watchers, not a lot of Bidders.

What places do you guys use and about what percentage of your postings/listings actually sell? What kind of fees are involved?

Thanks.

P.S. Kinda choose not to sell around here too much because a card that I CAN sell on eBay for $20-25, will sell here for $5 DLVD. Not into freebies.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
solt0131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,472
Default

Check Out My Cards is the place to go young man.
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Was checking out Sportlots and I like their fee structure and layout. Just doesn't look like they have the volume, but I could be wrong.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Vincesanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Belton, Texas
Posts: 1,726
Default

COMC, sportlots is more base card driven. If your making good deals I might even be interested. Shoot me a PM if you have a list and price in mind.
__________________
******BUYING LUCK, MALLETT, OSWEILER TOPPS CHROME BASE & COLOR******
Vincesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Vincesanity, check out my eBay page for the 218 items I have listed. Going to be listing more in the next few days. Going to try to scan in and list a whole bunch of 2010 Crown Royale Football cards and Bench Warmers cards from various years, most likely listing them as my first batch of the September 500 freebies. Mostly base, but a few auto's and relic cards will be mixed in at what I consider reasonable prices.

I DO have a ton of base to move from Topps Football 2006-2011 and Score Football 2008-2012. That was why I was wondering where the best place to sell is. Not a lot are into base and not many set builders left these days, but I was trying to find where the majority of them go to buy their missing cards. Might even have a, extra full base set of 1 or 2 sets. Right now they're just sitting in 3600 card boxes.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
addicted36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 11,288
Default

Take this as constructive critism and nothing more. I just looked at your ebay items and honestly didn't see much people would be interested in there (to many base cards) and the prices on your autos are generally way too high. People don't like it when you list something like you have with an opening bid of 10 bucks and a buy it now of 20. You need to come down on a lot of your prices to get sales there just like here and everywhere only. I'm sure there isn't some magical place online that gets you high prices on your cards. Your expectations seem a little off. Ebayers want specific players and cards, they won't just buy anything you throw out there
__________________
http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!

Last edited by addicted36; 08-27-2012 at 08:43 AM.
addicted36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
WilsonValdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Temporarily Suspended
Posts: 9,118
Default

How much will you take off ebay for this: 2009 Topps Football - Checklist 3 of 4 | eBay ? I see it's listed at 15 cents...would you take 10?
WilsonValdez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
superynaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 4,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
How much will you take off ebay for this: 2009 Topps Football - Checklist 3 of 4 | eBay ? I see it's listed at 15 cents...would you take 10?
priceless... why even bother listing a card like that??? sheeesh...
__________________
BRAND NEW PC COMING SOON!!!
superynaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

It's actually got over 20 views. If you actually search eBay for checklist cards, you'll see that they do sell.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

The majority of my base that are for sale right now, are Bench Warmers, Crown Royale (1996 & 2002), 09 Topps inserts, 2010 Topps Magic, and Topps Prime.

I do lower my price if it doesn't sell, but serial # cards, won't go under $1. They're my cards and I'll price them at what I want to get out of them. Just like you guys can price your cards the way you want to without complaints from others. I usually do get my price, it just takes a while sometimes because the volume of buyers just isn't there any more and the sellers at eBay have become so cutthroat at undercutting everyone else, that they will lists everything at $.01 just to sell something. They've ruined the value of a lot of merchandise by doing that. All those $.01 and $.99 auctions have killed the value of a lot of things and it even makes it hard for me to sell video games at decent prices anymore.

I base my prices around COMC's. I look at what the cards BV is as well as how many are available there and what the range of prices is. I also try to factor in popularity of the player because star players have a higher chance of being PC'd which means you have a good chance of finding those few people who want that player/card, that they'll pay almost anything for it. Right now, if I posted Clinton Portis cards, I'd probably sell with no problem now that he retired. I'd also be able to ask a few dollars more than in the past because of it.

The thing that bothers me most about eBay, is the fact that out of that list you guys looked at of my inventory, I've got over 10 items with people Watching them. But I won't get any bids from those Watchers. Most often, they want to sell theirs so they watch to see if yours sells at that price. It sucks because as a seller, you think they could be potential buyers, but they end up not buying. I've had listings end with 5 Watchers. It's ridiculous. The whole "Completed Listings" option, has both helped and ruined the selling process. It helped because now you know what to expect when selling something. It hurt because once someone does a $.01 or $.99 auction and the item sells that low, that's what everyone expects to pay.

The only cards I don't ever have to lower my price on, is Bench Warmers cards. They'll sell all day long and I just had two guys who wanted a card bad enough, they both requested I turn it into a BIN listing. Within 20 minutes of doing so, it went to one of the two guys. One was in France and even said that he didn't care about paying the cost of shipping using Priority, which was around $25 for shipping on 1 card.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
HadWayTooMuch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 3,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
The majority of my base that are for sale right now, are Bench Warmers, Crown Royale (1996 & 2002), 09 Topps inserts, 2010 Topps Magic, and Topps Prime.

I do lower my price if it doesn't sell, but serial # cards, won't go under $1. They're my cards and I'll price them at what I want to get out of them. Just like you guys can price your cards the way you want to without complaints from others. I usually do get my price, it just takes a while sometimes because the volume of buyers just isn't there any more and the sellers at eBay have become so cutthroat at undercutting everyone else, that they will lists everything at $.01 just to sell something. They've ruined the value of a lot of merchandise by doing that. All those $.01 and $.99 auctions have killed the value of a lot of things and it even makes it hard for me to sell video games at decent prices anymore.

I base my prices around COMC's. I look at what the cards BV is as well as how many are available there and what the range of prices is. I also try to factor in popularity of the player because star players have a higher chance of being PC'd which means you have a good chance of finding those few people who want that player/card, that they'll pay almost anything for it. Right now, if I posted Clinton Portis cards, I'd probably sell with no problem now that he retired. I'd also be able to ask a few dollars more than in the past because of it.

The thing that bothers me most about eBay, is the fact that out of that list you guys looked at of my inventory, I've got over 10 items with people Watching them. But I won't get any bids from those Watchers. Most often, they want to sell theirs so they watch to see if yours sells at that price. It sucks because as a seller, you think they could be potential buyers, but they end up not buying. I've had listings end with 5 Watchers. It's ridiculous. The whole "Completed Listings" option, has both helped and ruined the selling process. It helped because now you know what to expect when selling something. It hurt because once someone does a $.01 or $.99 auction and the item sells that low, that's what everyone expects to pay.

The only cards I don't ever have to lower my price on, is Bench Warmers cards. They'll sell all day long and I just had two guys who wanted a card bad enough, they both requested I turn it into a BIN listing. Within 20 minutes of doing so, it went to one of the two guys. One was in France and even said that he didn't care about paying the cost of shipping using Priority, which was around $25 for shipping on 1 card.
I had an item with 26 watchers that had only one last minute bid, the same person that had been bidding it up $1 at a time until finally someone put a larger bid in and that person bid it up $1 at a time until he beat the price...by $1. None of the other 25 watchers bid at all.
HadWayTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Georgia (USA)
Posts: 1,320
Default

Yeah I just put a couple of items out there with no success. Unless you have the hot rookie or prospect it is just hit or miss.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Joe Flacco cards, Boomer Esiason jersey, and Aaron Rodgres jersey cards all didn't sell last time, but I sold a Tony Romo. Romo's I'd expect to not sell but he seems to sell easily.

Well, around Sept 1st, I'll be listing over 25 auto/jersey cards from 2010 Crown Royale as well as a bunch of the duplicate base cards from the set. So, anyone looking for 2010 Crown cards, you'll have a plethora to choose from.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 90
Default

I would recommend shipping all those low-dollar inserts in PWE's. Lose the $2.50 shipping, add $1 to your starting price to cover the stamp and viola...they will sell like hotcakes.
aric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,503
Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900
Default

Like a few others have said pricing is somewhat of an issue. Best example i saw was your Jacoby Ford 2010 Crown Royal auto you have a starting bid of 10.00 and the last two to sell were like 2.50 and 6.50 for the base auto. Your pricing is around that of the /25 version.

But complain all you want but right now what did those 200+ auctions that did not sell cost you other than time? 0!

Most of your numbered and inserts would be better served on COMC, jerseys and autos are a toss up but honestly best thing to do is stick to ebay and come down on prices. BV means nothing on ebay its SV that is king. Good luck with your sales!
__________________
need to update but here's my bucket: s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/dustin9900/
Teams I collect: Atlanta Braves, South Carolina Gamecocks
Players I collect: Sidney Rice, Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,503
Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric88 View Post
I would recommend shipping all those low-dollar inserts in PWE's. Lose the $2.50 shipping, add $1 to your starting price to cover the stamp and viola...they will sell like hotcakes.
poor advice...number 1 without the DC you will lose every claim filed with paypal and right now the buyers are looking to rip off whoever they can even on cheap .99 cent cards. 2.50 is pretty on par, make sure you offer combined shipping (make it cheap say .25 cents per additional and cap your total (think small flat rate box around 5 bucks to ship thru paypal)). But if you choose to go this route you better have super full disclosure in your listing that the "free shipping" is in a PWE and maybe offer the option to pay for a upgraded service. Anyway carry on.
__________________
need to update but here's my bucket: s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/dustin9900/
Teams I collect: Atlanta Braves, South Carolina Gamecocks
Players I collect: Sidney Rice, Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,505
Default

You must factor in the time-value of money.

Your complaint about watchers is similar to complaining about window shoppers who never pull the trigger. As a producer/seller you must understand your customer and provide them a product at a price they demand. This isn't always easy.

Markets are 'cutthroat' because they are always self-adjusting to equilibrium.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin9900 View Post
poor advice...number 1 without the DC you will lose every claim filed with paypal and right now the buyers are looking to rip off whoever they can even on cheap .99 cent cards. 2.50 is pretty on par, make sure you offer combined shipping (make it cheap say .25 cents per additional and cap your total (think small flat rate box around 5 bucks to ship thru paypal)). But if you choose to go this route you better have super full disclosure in your listing that the "free shipping" is in a PWE and maybe offer the option to pay for a upgraded service. Anyway carry on.
I already DO combine shipping. $2.50 for the first 5 cards in top loaders with $.25 additional for every 2 cards. I ship ALL my cards in bubble mailers and will NEVER use a PWE for sending cards. I'm not a hack. I bought a case of 250 mailers for around $35-40 putting my cost per mailer under $.20. Around 275 sales, and only 1 complained about cost of shipping. Once people see how I ship my cards, they're very happy. Never had a damaged card and the cost is appropriate because I take the time to do it right.

But, as you stated, there's a big problem with scammers on eBay right now. Unpaying Buyers are NOT being punished. I've had 4 in the past year. No biggie to me as the cards they didn't pay for, had other bidders who were happy to pay for them. But many others are having problems, not just me.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
saintsfan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,373
Send a message via AIM to saintsfan9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
It's actually got over 20 views. If you actually search eBay for checklist cards, you'll see that they do sell.
19 of which are people who clicked the link on this site, the other 1 is you.
__________________
Bucket: http://s749.photobucket.com/home/saintsfan20/allalbums
I only ship to US (Canada for some members)
When I post a price, I will not respond to "PM me your best price" or if I "can do any better." If you want a better price, please counter-offer.
saintsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
You must factor in the time-value of money.

Your complaint about watchers is similar to complaining about window shoppers who never pull the trigger. As a producer/seller you must understand your customer and provide them a product at a price they demand. This isn't always easy.

Markets are 'cutthroat' because they are always self-adjusting to equilibrium.
It's a little different than "window shopping". Window shoppers aren't looking at your prices so they can go back across the mall to their shop so they can adjust their prices in order to be competitive with your prices. This is what most watchers are doing.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan9 View Post
19 of which are people who clicked the link on this site, the other 1 is you.
Wrong. I don't click on my own listings. I use Turbo Lister so I can view all that info without looking at the listings. Secondly, those 20+ views were there last night. I remember finding it odd that a checklist card was getting so many views.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
It's a little different than "window shopping". Window shoppers aren't looking at your prices so they can go back across the mall to their shop so they can adjust their prices in order to be competitive with your prices. This is what most watchers are doing.
How do you think market prices are determined?

If one McDonalds prices Big Macs for $12 each and all the others price them for $2 each, what do you think will happen? What do you think should happen?
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
IronMonkey415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,383
Default

So those French guys are horny as @@@@ and will pay anything for those benchwarmers cards?
__________________
Only shipping in the U.S.

http://kobebryantautograph.weebly.com/
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
How do you think market prices are determined?

If one McDonalds prices Big Macs for $12 each and all the others price them for $2 each, what do you think will happen? What do you think should happen?
If market prices are determined this way in the "real world" as you seem to say, then why are the prices of goods and services going UP everywhere, yet on eBay they are being forced DOWN? eBay's doing the opposite of everyone else and yes, I understand the cost of manufacturing/growing/etc is a huge cost not involved with eBaying stuff. The cost of food at grocery stores is rising as well as at fast food. I remember when the Carl's Jr. $6 Burger, was $2.99 or $3.99. Now, it's $5.49. The Carl's Jr. $6 Burger is about to actually be a $6 burger. Not the meal, just the burger. Shouldn't this be going down? I mean, there's a McDonald's about 2 blocks down and a Burger King across the street, so in your world, the price would be dropping, not rising. Maybe you need to teach them a little economics, sir. They've got it backwards.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
verbal13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 909
Default

Cards are a luxury, food is a necessity. As the economy goes down, demand for luxuries (football cards) goes down. Lower demand means lower prices (assuming steady supply). As the economy goes down, demand for necessities goes up (food, beef, lettuce, tomatoes, etc), and prices go up. When the economy goes back up, flip those two around and there you have it.
__________________
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c347/verbal13/For%20Trade/
Reggie McNeal Super Collection:
AU - 70/77 = 91%
1/1s - 7/21 = 33%
verbal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.