Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default opinions please

Made a trade a while back with a pretty reputable member, that I have done a few deals with before. He offered a card at a higher price than normal, and guarunteed bgs 9 mint on it. I told him about condition issues that I believed it to be less than 9 mint and I agreed to send it just to make sure. He said, he was unaware of the condition issues, and that he would send a care package if it came back less than a 9 mint. I also paid with a money order.

The card came back an 8.5 (not even barely a 8.5, as in one sub got an 8) and has since not answered me, and apparently hasn't posted on the forums for 3 weeks.

What do I do here.

Normally I would just leave positive feedback, and take the loss, since noone can really guarantee a grade, but the card had obvious flaws, and he said he would send a care package, which he never did.
bradsholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

You knew about the flaws and still bought it, the care package was just an incentive to get you to buy. Since he hasn't been online I'd try to get a hold of him thru email if you have it, or possibly get his PayPal addy from another member that recently left feedback for him and see if you can get a hold of him that-away. Not worth a neg IMO and given the fact that you say he is a reputable member I would give it some time maybe something drastic came up and he's been unable to log on.

Last edited by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD; 09-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gotta agree with ^^^^ on this one.. Grades can be tough..I understand your point as he did tell you he would take care of you..But if he is reputable and just hasn't been on for a while. id give it some time..either way Grading is always a gamble and nor worth a Neg
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

What did that Alex Smith SPA Grade? I remember saying it was atleast a BGS 9, but when you got it you said it was scratches on the front of it. Just wondering if you ever got it graded, as I did give you a partial refund.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Buy the card, not the Damn BGS holder and their subjective grades!
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post
You knew about the flaws and still bought it, the care package was just an incentive to get you to buy. Since he hasn't been online I'd try to get a hold of him thru email if you have it, or possibly get his PayPal addy from another member that recently left feedback for him and see if you can get a hold of him that-away. Not worth a neg IMO and given the fact that you say he is a reputable member I would give it some time maybe something drastic came up and he's been unable to log on.
either you missed a couple things or I didn't explain well enough.

it was paid through money order, did not know about flaws until in hand, still would have liked the card (it was for pc, just wanted a nice condition card as we all do for pc) as far as I know, I don't think he has paypal. he does have over 7-0 feedback, and have tried to send NUMEROUS messages. Like I said though just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this!! and coltsfan, sent a message, will make things right!!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
Buy the card, not the Damn BGS holder and their subjective grades!
Well, the seller shouldn't have "guaranteed" a BGS grade. Once you do that, you're on the hook.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Well, the seller shouldn't have "guaranteed" a BGS grade. Once you do that, you're on the hook.
That's both an ignorant buying and selling point. I don't care that a card is bgs 9 or 9.5 most of the time. If it's not creased or dinged to hell, works for me. Beyond that, caveat emptor.

The obsession with BGS grades is one I will never understand.
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
That's both an ignorant buying and selling point. I don't care that a card is bgs 9 or 9.5 most of the time. If it's not creased or dinged to hell, works for me. Beyond that, caveat emptor.

The obsession with BGS grades is one I will never understand.
I think you're missing the point...

I agree that BGS grades are dumb. I don't want graded cards in my PC and any graded cards I do have I either crack or trade...but my personal preference, although same as yours, is a moot point.

A BGS 9 quite simply is worth more then a BGS 8.5 - and if the seller guaranteed a 9 then they are guaranteeing more resale value then an 8.5 - it's that simple.

The buyer might say it's for PC - and 5 years down the line he might want to sell it - and the simple fact is that the seller has guaranteed a certain grade and thus a certain bump in price.

Now back to what the OP stated.

The seller guaranteed a grade (at least that's what the OP said - I know some people don't always agree if an actual guarantee was made or just an opinion) and promised some sort of package if it didn't get that grade. It didn't get that grade, he isn't replying to PM's, and he has not sent the package promised.

Without knowing if there are any other details to the story - that's a clear negative to me - the deal wasn't completed. HOWEVER I have no idea how many PM's were sent, how much time was given to the seller, etc...all that are obviously factors. Seller might just need time to make it right.

What if that care package was cash. What if the seller had promised to send $20 paypal if the card didn't grade a 9? Would we just let him walk without sending the money? Of course not. People would be demanding to know who it is.
asujbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I think you're missing the point...

I agree that BGS grades are dumb. I don't want graded cards in my PC and any graded cards I do have I either crack or trade...but my personal preference, although same as yours, is a moot point.

A BGS 9 quite simply is worth more then a BGS 8.5 - and if the seller guaranteed a 9 then they are guaranteeing more resale value then an 8.5 - it's that simple.

The buyer might say it's for PC - and 5 years down the line he might want to sell it - and the simple fact is that the seller has guaranteed a certain grade and thus a certain bump in price.

Now back to what the OP stated.

The seller guaranteed a grade (at least that's what the OP said - I know some people don't always agree if an actual guarantee was made or just an opinion) and promised some sort of package if it didn't get that grade. It didn't get that grade, he isn't replying to PM's, and he has not sent the package promised.

on a side note, I see they signed on yesterday, but haven't posted anything for 3 weeks!!

on a side note, I see they logged on yesterday, but haven't posted in over 3 weeks!!

On a side note, I see they logged on yesterday, but haven't posted for at least 3 weeks

Without knowing if there are any other details to the story - that's a clear negative to me - the deal wasn't completed. HOWEVER I have no idea how many PM's were sent, how much time was given to the seller, etc...all that are obviously factors. Seller might just need time to make it right.

What if that care package was cash. What if the seller had promised to send $20 paypal if the card didn't grade a 9? Would we just let him walk without sending the money? Of course not. People would be demanding to know who it is.
the 21st will be 2 months from the receiving of the cards, and about a month since I got the grade back....There was about 5 pm's after the reception of the card, and about 4 (with no reply) since receiving the grade. at the point I overpayed for the card about $35-40 in the promise of getting a 9 (yes this is one of those cards that a 9 gets a premium, about a $80-100 premium). after about 7 emails of asking the condition, sending messages of one I had that was already a 9, and comparing everything. I'm content either way, I just don't like people that don't keep their word on here and block them for future safety!!

Last edited by bradsholly; 09-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.