Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
WilsonValdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Temporarily Suspended
Posts: 9,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
I'm just curious how that card came about tho. It's whited out behind the sticker, so it's not like somebody slapped a sticker on a base topps chrome rookie.
Clearly someone had a regular chrome auto card, with an auto that was fading/smudged/some defect that caused them to think it needed to be traced over. They did a very poor job...but apparently not poor enough for PSA to grade
__________________
Check out my mis/underpriced COMC account; My laziness is your gain! Over 2000 items, all 4 sports.
- **Now running a 35% off sale**.
WilsonValdez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
Jackg1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,916
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980
Default

Its great that you are taking it off.
__________________
Official Blowout 2010 Topp Magic Refractor Autograph set collector! STAY AWAY FROM PATCH CARDS! BUCKET: http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc471/jackg1980/ "I trade by common sense not book value"
"No one makes me bleed my own blood"
Jackg1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Clearly someone had a regular chrome auto card, with an auto that was fading/smudged/some defect that caused them to think it needed to be traced over. They did a very poor job...but apparently not poor enough for PSA to grade
Ah I can see that. Must have been a big smudge since they decided to trace it in a crayola black crayon.
__________________
http://s721.photobucket.com/albums/ww214/divino_085/Cards/

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
SerialKilnWalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,544
Default

there are actually 4 bidders on this item, amazing. who would spend their $ on this?
SerialKilnWalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
ManInTheMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 34,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
there are actually 4 bidders on this item, amazing. who would spend their $ on this?
People who have no clue- and yes there are a good many of them in this hobby.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 8,262
Default

Bravo, Idol

This actually seems quite a bit more common than I'd initially thought. Seems like most of these were due to an original owner who probably submitted to bgs, got a high card grade with a low auto grade...cracked it out the case, tried to re-do the auto, then submit to psa (since they don't give the auto a grade like bgs). IMO, that is one of the most horrific trace jobs I've ever seen, and has been gone over 3 to 4 times at the very least (you can clearly see the areas of backtracking/varying thickness/scribbles)

Why someone would even try and do that is beyond me, considering the card itself is in awesome shape.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeMan12406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Heart of Texas
Posts: 13,409
Default

That is the worst trace job I've ever seen.

And I live in the same house as Michael J. Fox.
__________________
Bury me alive, bury me with pride
Bury me with berries, that forbidden fruit and cherry wine
Thank you berry much, but tonight's my night and I'm Barry Bonds
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,275
Default

Anyone trying to claim DeSean Jackson himself tried to trace over it, is a moron. You can see from the different shades of ink, that the original ink faded over time and that the newer signature was added recently, I'd say in the past 6 months based on how dark the sharpie color is. And yes, it was a Sharpie pen, can tell from the color of the black ink.

Now, the signature to me, looks like it was faked TWICE, not once. The original faded black signature, was faked as well. 1) They were only blue at the time, and 2) It's faded a lot more than the recent signature. This means, the original black signature was added a few years ago, probably in 2008. The newer sig was added sometime this year, probably last 6 months because it hasn't had time to fade and Sharpie ink fades pretty quickly.

Now, why do I think the original signature from 2008 was faked? The older, faded sig is choppy and not smooth at all, especially when compared to the valid blue sig above it. I think what happened here, is that someone pulled the card out of a pack back in 2008 and it had no signature. Well, an unsigned auto card is not worth much, but adding that signature turns a $1 card into potentially a $15-20 card. So, the original owner tried to add a signature to an unsigned auto card. Then, later on the signature faded, and someone tried to trace over the older fake auto, doing an even worse job at it.

This is at least what it look like to me. An unsigned card gets a fake auto and then the fake auto gets traced to darken the auto after it had faded. Crappier than what happens 1 hour after eating Taco Bell's food.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
Anyone trying to claim DeSean Jackson himself tried to trace over it, is a moron. You can see from the different shades of ink, that the original ink faded over time and that the newer signature was added recently, I'd say in the past 6 months based on how dark the sharpie color is. And yes, it was a Sharpie pen, can tell from the color of the black ink.

Now, the signature to me, looks like it was faked TWICE, not once. The original faded black signature, was faked as well. 1) They were only blue at the time, and 2) It's faded a lot more than the recent signature. This means, the original black signature was added a few years ago, probably in 2008. The newer sig was added sometime this year, probably last 6 months because it hasn't had time to fade and Sharpie ink fades pretty quickly.

Now, why do I think the original signature from 2008 was faked? The older, faded sig is choppy and not smooth at all, especially when compared to the valid blue sig above it. I think what happened here, is that someone pulled the card out of a pack back in 2008 and it had no signature. Well, an unsigned auto card is not worth much, but adding that signature turns a $1 card into potentially a $15-20 card. So, the original owner tried to add a signature to an unsigned auto card. Then, later on the signature faded, and someone tried to trace over the older fake auto, doing an even worse job at it.

This is at least what it look like to me. An unsigned card gets a fake auto and then the fake auto gets traced to darken the auto after it had faded. Crappier than what happens 1 hour after eating Taco Bell's food.
Am I missing a post where someone claimed desean jackson retraced this himself
__________________
http://s721.photobucket.com/albums/ww214/divino_085/Cards/

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
Shogun2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 1,275
Default

OP, hugh, said it twice on the first page.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 17,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
there are actually 4 bidders on this item, amazing. who would spend their $ on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
People who have no clue- and yes there are a good many of them in this hobby.
Or someone from Cape Cod who would buy it and destroy it if he won it.
__________________
Thin skinned megalomaniacs shouldn't post on message boards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boise,Idaho
Posts: 1,633
Default

Good choice Idol thanks
__________________
Lewis Brinson PM if you pull any of his cards

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Military APO in Italy
Posts: 7,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
Am I missing a post where someone claimed desean jackson retraced this himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
OP, hugh, said it twice on the first page.
I was giving the seller a possible excuse
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Military APO in Italy
Posts: 7,361
Default

am I the only one who sees green and black ink?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.