Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
I'm just curious how that card came about tho. It's whited out behind the sticker, so it's not like somebody slapped a sticker on a base topps chrome rookie.
Clearly someone had a regular chrome auto card, with an auto that was fading/smudged/some defect that caused them to think it needed to be traced over. They did a very poor job...but apparently not poor enough for PSA to grade
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #52 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Its great that you are taking it off.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Clearly someone had a regular chrome auto card, with an auto that was fading/smudged/some defect that caused them to think it needed to be traced over. They did a very poor job...but apparently not poor enough for PSA to grade
Ah I can see that. Must have been a big smudge since they decided to trace it in a crayola black crayon.

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #54 (permalink)

there are actually 4 bidders on this item, amazing. who would spend their $ on this?
SerialKilnWalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
there are actually 4 bidders on this item, amazing. who would spend their $ on this?
People who have no clue- and yes there are a good many of them in this hobby.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #56 (permalink)

Bravo, Idol

This actually seems quite a bit more common than I'd initially thought. Seems like most of these were due to an original owner who probably submitted to bgs, got a high card grade with a low auto grade...cracked it out the case, tried to re-do the auto, then submit to psa (since they don't give the auto a grade like bgs). IMO, that is one of the most horrific trace jobs I've ever seen, and has been gone over 3 to 4 times at the very least (you can clearly see the areas of backtracking/varying thickness/scribbles)

Why someone would even try and do that is beyond me, considering the card itself is in awesome shape.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #57 (permalink)

That is the worst trace job I've ever seen.

And I live in the same house as Michael J. Fox.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #58 (permalink)

Anyone trying to claim DeSean Jackson himself tried to trace over it, is a moron. You can see from the different shades of ink, that the original ink faded over time and that the newer signature was added recently, I'd say in the past 6 months based on how dark the sharpie color is. And yes, it was a Sharpie pen, can tell from the color of the black ink.

Now, the signature to me, looks like it was faked TWICE, not once. The original faded black signature, was faked as well. 1) They were only blue at the time, and 2) It's faded a lot more than the recent signature. This means, the original black signature was added a few years ago, probably in 2008. The newer sig was added sometime this year, probably last 6 months because it hasn't had time to fade and Sharpie ink fades pretty quickly.

Now, why do I think the original signature from 2008 was faked? The older, faded sig is choppy and not smooth at all, especially when compared to the valid blue sig above it. I think what happened here, is that someone pulled the card out of a pack back in 2008 and it had no signature. Well, an unsigned auto card is not worth much, but adding that signature turns a $1 card into potentially a $15-20 card. So, the original owner tried to add a signature to an unsigned auto card. Then, later on the signature faded, and someone tried to trace over the older fake auto, doing an even worse job at it.

This is at least what it look like to me. An unsigned card gets a fake auto and then the fake auto gets traced to darken the auto after it had faded. Crappier than what happens 1 hour after eating Taco Bell's food.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
Anyone trying to claim DeSean Jackson himself tried to trace over it, is a moron. You can see from the different shades of ink, that the original ink faded over time and that the newer signature was added recently, I'd say in the past 6 months based on how dark the sharpie color is. And yes, it was a Sharpie pen, can tell from the color of the black ink.

Now, the signature to me, looks like it was faked TWICE, not once. The original faded black signature, was faked as well. 1) They were only blue at the time, and 2) It's faded a lot more than the recent signature. This means, the original black signature was added a few years ago, probably in 2008. The newer sig was added sometime this year, probably last 6 months because it hasn't had time to fade and Sharpie ink fades pretty quickly.

Now, why do I think the original signature from 2008 was faked? The older, faded sig is choppy and not smooth at all, especially when compared to the valid blue sig above it. I think what happened here, is that someone pulled the card out of a pack back in 2008 and it had no signature. Well, an unsigned auto card is not worth much, but adding that signature turns a $1 card into potentially a $15-20 card. So, the original owner tried to add a signature to an unsigned auto card. Then, later on the signature faded, and someone tried to trace over the older fake auto, doing an even worse job at it.

This is at least what it look like to me. An unsigned card gets a fake auto and then the fake auto gets traced to darken the auto after it had faded. Crappier than what happens 1 hour after eating Taco Bell's food.
Am I missing a post where someone claimed desean jackson retraced this himself

PC: Zach Ertz Philadelphia Eagles
Divino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #60 (permalink)

OP, hugh, said it twice on the first page.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKilnWalkr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
People who have no clue- and yes there are a good many of them in this hobby.
Or someone from Cape Cod who would buy it and destroy it if he won it.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #62 (permalink)

Good choice Idol thanks

Riddle: I do no wrong when I am called out I talk smack than run to a moderator when you hurt my feelings...who am I?
texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divino View Post
Am I missing a post where someone claimed desean jackson retraced this himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
OP, hugh, said it twice on the first page.
I was giving the seller a possible excuse
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #64 (permalink)

am I the only one who sees green and black ink?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote