Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Is everyone buying in on Alex Smith or the 49ers as a team?
Alex Smith 8 16.00%
49ers 42 84.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Question POLL: Are we buying in on Alex Smith or the 49ers?

Alex Smith sales are taking off on ebay (I haven't bought in yet, but have been thinking about it.)

I know he has played good the first 2 games, but I also don't think they have played a great defense yet.

Poll question is basic: Is everyone buying into Alex Smith as a player or are we buying into the 49ers as a team and buying Smith just because he's the QB of the best team right now?
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Here's the thing with the Niners,They don't need to play a team with a great defense nor do they need to score 30 to win since whomever they are playing against can't get anything going against the niners defense.
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

49ers...Easy question.

Alex Smith is just a great game manager, His skills have improved in the past 2 years due to great coaching but I think half of the starting QB's in the league right now could walk into SF during the off-season and perform the same or better.

I'm holding all of my Kaepernick, I think he'll be a great QB for them in 2-4 years.

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think smith sucks, he just has excellent coaching/team
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Alex could be the Trent Dilfer of 2000!
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Alex could be the Trent Dilfer of 2000!
Totally agree. Just like the Ravens did in their SB year, the 49ers aren't asking Alex to be lights out. Just to be smart with the football and take what the defense gives him. If Alex can limit his turnovers, and allow the running game to do it's job the 49er's have an excellent chance of going all the way this year.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

They would have gone all the way last year if it wasn't for two fumbles on returns.
wilsonsingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

went with 49ers but I have to get my Alex Smith Rookie patch up on eBay. Thanks for reminding me.
My Sportscardalbum -> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/jiggidy
jiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

not a fan of Alex Smith. Never have been. The Niners are great because of their stout team defense and running game.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
I think smith sucks, he just has excellent coaching/team
Last 9 games not including the pre-season games. Smith has throw over 270 passes without an interception. 13 passing TD's and 2 rushing TD's. Had his team in position to go to the superbowl if Williams doesn't fumble twice. Yep, your right, Smith sucks.

How many other QB's have had excellent coaching/team and are not in the league anymore?
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

It's straight laughable to say Alex Smith sucks.

Just laughable.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdukky View Post
Last 9 games not including the pre-season games. Smith has throw over 270 passes without an interception. 13 passing TD's and 2 rushing TD's. Had his team in position to go to the superbowl if Williams doesn't fumble twice. Yep, your right, Smith sucks.

How many other QB's have had excellent coaching/team and are not in the league anymore?
Look at that, some hard numbers!

You... I like you.

I used to think Smith was a waste of space, but it is clear that a stable coaching staff (with a former QB as head coach) is doing wonders for him. Comparing him to Trent Dilfer is an insult to Smith and I am not joking.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alex had something like 6 different offensive coordinators in 6 years. He lacked any stability within the franchise. Also Mike Singletary was a cancer who destroyed our team.

Just look how Alex is flourishing under stable coaching and solid talent around him.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am not going to dump on Alex. He is decent. Not elite, but he gets the job done.

All I am saying is imagine how good the 49er's would be if they would have drafted A Rod instead of Alex, like many people said they would.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

agreed, Smith is turning into a good QB... Not elite by any means, but definately getting better, and he could be there if he keeps it up. All it takes is a stable coaching situation which he finally has.
blackbears86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
I am not going to dump on Alex. He is decent. Not elite, but he gets the job done.

All I am saying is imagine how good the 49er's would be if they would have drafted A Rod instead of Alex, like many people said they would.
Being a Packers fan, I have played this through in my head a hundred times.

The Rodgers that was drafted is NOT even close to the Rodgers you see today. McCarthy and his staff run a great QB school that really helped Rodgers along. My feeling is that Rodgers would have floundered like Smith did under the coaching he had in SF. I have a feeling that if the rolls were reversed and Smith was in GB, he would have ended up pretty good (not sure if I would say as great as Rodgers). Everyone needs to remember, to get the number 1 pick, your team has to suck badly. Rodgers ended up in an ideal situation with a winning team and not having to be thrown to the fire with Favre still at the helm. Rodgers looked pretty bad in his first few preseason games as many Packers fans can recall.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I agree that Smith is a good QB, I would say he could be like a Matt Schaub. Never going to be an MVP or a top 5 QB, but he can get the job done.
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
The Rodgers that was drafted is NOT even close to the Rodgers you see today. McCarthy and his staff run a great QB school that really helped Rodgers along. My feeling is that Rodgers would have floundered like Smith did under the coaching he had in SF. I have a feeling that if the rolls were reversed and Smith was in GB, he would have ended up pretty good (not sure if I would say as great as Rodgers). Everyone needs to remember, to get the number 1 pick, your team has to suck badly. Rodgers ended up in an ideal situation with a winning team and not having to be thrown to the fire with Favre still at the helm. Rodgers looked pretty bad in his first few preseason games.
I actually agree with this. You make a great point. Sitting behind Favre for a couple of years allowed Rodgers to be coached and to learn. He would have been thrown right into the fire in San Fran.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Some said Alex Smith was a "coach killer" in his early years as a 49er, after last year and now perhaps his previous coaches were QB killers.

I'm happy for him.

I read that when Harbaugh took the job, he comforted Smith by telling him in the face of an upcoming draft--"don't worry we already have a first round draft pick at quarterback."
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
Some said Alex Smith was a "coach killer" in his early years as a 49er, after last year and now perhaps his previous coaches were QB killers.

I'm happy for him.

I read that when Harbaugh took the job, he comforted Smith by telling him in the face of an upcoming draft--"don't worry we already have a first round draft pick at quarterback."
Yet they still went hard after Manning this offseason. No matter how much Harbaugh wants to spin it.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
Yet they still went hard after Manning this offseason. No matter how much Harbaugh wants to spin it.
Yeah, I am not sure what that was about. Alex Smith certainly wasn't the reason they lost last year. But I guess Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning and I am pretty sure there are only about a hand full of teams who wouldn't want him.

Although, I am still wondering how they justified that to Smith after it fell though...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Alex Smith is playing very efficiently at the moment. He is not going to "Wow" anyone with the types of throws he makes like some of the Elite QBs, but he is playing up to HIS potential at the moment. He is not the play maker, but he is doing a good job of getting the ball to his playmakers, most notably Vernon Davis.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Alex isn't being asked to throw 300 yards/game or throw deep down the field a ton - he's not going to have those flashy plays. The passing game is made so Alex can take what the defense gives him, and not be in a position to have to force the ball deep or whatever.

That said, while the offense caters to Alex in a way, at the same time he's growing in terms of confidence and actually running a team on the field.

However, as people have said, you don't have to pass a lot when you have a great defense and running game.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have watched both games he has played this season and I gotta say he looks like a mature QB. His biggest asset is he flat out moves the ball. I am a believer and you had to be a fool if you didnt see this coming last year. Yeah the Niners have a great team (My Brother lives up there so I listen to this, especially when they beat the Packers). People have to stop thinking in the past with him.

Kevin
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

I think his cards are going to make a big jump with two or three more wins in a row....huge upside.
blackbears86 is online now   Reply With Quote