Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sticker Autos are making me sick

Seems to be the norm nowadays. The value for the cards is going to drop because of this over time and on card autos will rise. Im totally degusted with a totally rad auto like RG3 only to have it be on a sticker/off the sticker. Anyone know what year this became the rule and not the excepttion with small-mid end cards products. The more I see it the more it makes my stomach turns. Thoughts..... As I'm sure this gets discussed every other month.
Kodiak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should just buy the on-card ones. I agree with you completely...so do most people on this forum I'm sure. If you just buy the on-card version and do not bust wax of products that mainly offer sticker autos the industry will eventually get the picture. As for when it started I have no idea, but it's been awhile.
TheHelmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

well, the fans want more autos and hits, so the companies are obliging us in the easiest way they can. It's just more cost effective to send the player a sheet of stickers to sign and send back rather than the company fly them out to sign in person.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm fine with them in some cases like the Finest Jumbo Relic. Under the window, it's not SUPER obvious like on the Finest Moments cards.

For me, they can be okay if there is SOME effort to conceal them without merely taping them over the player's body.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
well, the fans want more autos and hits, so the companies are obliging us in the easiest way they can. It's just more cost effective to send the player a sheet of stickers to sign and send back rather than the company fly them out to sign in person.
Pulling a sticker auto of nobody sells for like a buck or 2. To say people want more autos of undrafted players makes me wonder. Something will change in the next year or 2 I bet.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
I'm fine with them in some cases like the Finest Jumbo Relic. Under the window, it's not SUPER obvious like on the Finest Moments cards.

For me, they can be okay if there is SOME effort to conceal them without merely taping them over the player's body.
I agree. I can live with those.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Call me crazy, but I didn't mind the old all silver stickers Donruss used. They were bigger than the stickers today and it showed the auto really well IMO. The stickers today are smaller and the autographs are really coming out poor. I understand why companies do it, but it does suck that 90% of the products are all sticker autos.
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I only collect on card autos.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I honestly don't mind sticker autos, as long as the auto stays on the sticker. Sure, I prefer on card, but it's not a HUGE deal to me. The one exception is for old Hall of Fame players, then I need an on card auto.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
It's just more cost effective to send the player a sheet of stickers to sign and send back rather than the company fly them out to sign in person.
I think many people fail to understand this point.

It's easier and cheaper to secure and send sheets of stickers than it is cards, obviously. On top of that, if they did need to have the athletes travel somewhere to sign, that's just another cost that will be passed on to us.

In short, prices would go up, so I often ask if people are willing to pay the (significant) extra money for such a shift in the industry.

Last edited by jeg2315; 10-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

As long as the sticker autos are well place and the card is well design I do not mind. The Magic autos are a good example

Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak10 View Post
Pulling a sticker auto of nobody sells for like a buck or 2. To say people want more autos of undrafted players makes me wonder. Something will change in the next year or 2 I bet.
There are on card autos of undrafted nobodies that sell for a $1 or $2 as well. I do not want more autos of undrafted players... I do not want autos of players that are cut in preseason either. Of course I'm talking about products that release well after the season has started on the players that are cut.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dont get me wrong I totally agree about on card autos as they are much more desirable but with this many sticker autos doesnt it make on card autos that much better and more rare imagine if there were only on card do you think they would be as sought after as on card autos now. I think they should go back to the days where autos were hard to get not 1 or 2 per box but maybe 1 per 4 boxes I dont know thats just my opinion I remember when it was all about rcs and inserts and holograms.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Seems to be the norm nowadays. The value for the cards is going to drop because of this over time and on card autos will rise. Im totally degusted with a totally rad auto like RG3 only to have it be on a sticker/off the sticker. Anyone know what year this became the rule and not the excepttion with small-mid end cards products. The more I see it the more it makes my stomach turns. Thoughts..... As I'm sure this gets discussed every other month.
Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple as that, but it's not going to change the company's reasoning and logistics behind it.

If that's not good enough, then I suggest you find a new hobby.
Viking4Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking4Alpha View Post
Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple as that, but it's not going to change the company's reasoning and logistics behind it.

If that's not good enough, then I suggest you find a new hobby.
I hear what your saying, seems like card companies are struggling to survive. Might be only one major sprts card company left in a few years the way their headed.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

This is what happens when you become so popular and the higher ups want to be greedy and save money for thereselves... just like the whole officiating thing we just had... they know the demand for cards are so high that even if they sell sticker autos people will still buy them it saves them money and time... just like Goddell knows we wont stop watching football because of refs since we love it so much
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
exactly what ^^^ said
Texas Brave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear what your saying, seems like card companies are struggling to survive. Might be only one major sprts card company left in a few years the way their headed.
I doubt that. The card companies are doing just fine. If anything, the market is growing.

Stickers do not bother me at all. Especially like someone else had mentioned when they are well placed and the auto doesn't fall off the sticker. No worries. But hey, that's just me and I realize my opinion isn't the standard across the board.

Is it nice to have an oncard? I don't disagree. Do stickers "ruin" it for me? Not even close.
Viking4Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

I don't mind that there are sticker auto's. That adds value to the on-card ones IMO, and I don't mind having more depth in the market with two tiers of autograph quality. Just buy the ones you want.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

I agree that sticker autos are less desirable, but I also don't mind SOME of the sticker autos. There are some that are obviously made just to provide "hits" that diminish "value" of a players auto.
Current Needs: Drew Bledsoe 2009 BTL Auto's O,T; Buybacks; Butler Bulldogs (Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard); Looking for the following: Alfonzo Dennard '12 TC Superfractor; Chandler Jones '12 TC and Bowman Sterling Superfractors; Please PM me with details
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBreaker72 View Post
Call me crazy, but I didn't mind the old all silver stickers Donruss used. They were bigger than the stickers today and it showed the auto really well IMO. The stickers today are smaller and the autographs are really coming out poor. I understand why companies do it, but it does suck that 90% of the products are all sticker autos.
Yeah, these were nice stickers back in the day...plus, do not believe he ever had any on cards other than maybe Proline:

HOF Auto needs (276/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think people forget it's not just for being cost effective it's also so they can get product out without having to wait on the cards to be made. By being able to send stickers to the players ahead of the cards they give the players much more time to sign the cards. Players not signing cards on time is a big reason for this. They can bug a player to get his autographs in on time till the end of time, but that doesn't mean the player will listen. Unless you don't want autographs of your favorite players, then you are going to have to deal with sticker autographs.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

If every product was on-card autos you would see a %20 increase in box/case prices and %25-%50 more redemptions.

I don't mind the low end products with stickers and to some point, the mid-end products like Topps Prime which have RG3 and Luck autos #'ed to 189 and 199 compared to Platinum and Finest where they are almost 1 in 25 cases?

Now when it comes to National Treasures having all stickers besides the rookies..... You start pissing people off but it still sells out every year so they never change it. The RPA's sell it out every year for them.

I refuse to rip 2012 NT if it is all stickers again though, I did buy 2011 because the rookie class is VERY deep, This year you will probably lose on every box that doesn't have an RG3 or Luck....

Topps and UD Plan for 8-10 months to make sure everything is on-card. Panini just plans around which veterans send in there sticker sheets 2 months before release

Looking to Buy- Redskins-Raiders-Bills-Lakers-PelicansRookie Autos
FreeFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

The collection of cards auto or sticker auto is just fun....... and some people are interested in to collect these items... However, the best way is that the stickers/cards must be of top quality so that impression may be created on viewers...

sticker printing
hurrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
If they aren't going to sign on card then they should use the old donruss style they used back in the early 2000's, even though it wasn't on card at least the hologram style sticker they used on contenders for example was alot more eye appealing. Or they should go back to what upper deck use to do and use the white paper they use to use in spx that also looked alot better. I always thought those two options weren't to bad if they weren't going to sign on card. Ultimately it would be nice if they just made fewer products and took there time and got on card autos, but I know thats not going to happen when a company is trying to make money.