Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Topps and Panini need to learn from Leaf

There is one thing that Leaf does that I wish Topps and Panini would do with their high end/low number of cards per box products. Put the cards in top loaders before they are packaged. I have had so many damaged cards this year from both companies. Releases like Momemtum and Prominence had so many QC issues with damaged edges and corners could benifit from something like this. Who knows, just my opinion.
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

very good point, they are to cheap to do that though they will add to the box prices even though the plastic isn't that expensive, if only leaf had a mlb, nfl, and nba license then topps and panini would be forced to step up their game.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I definitely think this will cut down on damages...but unfortunately not all of them. I've been surprised by the number of redemptions that show up in cases that are jacked up. One of my DeMarco redemptions had some pretty rough edges.
piner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

This might actually save the companies some money since they won't have to use more autos to replace damaged cards.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
There is one thing that Leaf does that I wish Topps and Panini would do with their high end/low number of cards per box products. Put the cards in top loaders before they are packaged. I have had so many damaged cards this year from both companies. Releases like Momemtum and Prominence had so many QC issues with damaged edges and corners could benifit from something like this. Who knows, just my opinion.
Leaf has a MUCH smaller operation, making this much easier for them I would think in the long run.

Just my .02
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Leaf has a MUCH smaller operation, making this much easier for them I would think in the long run.

Just my .02
+1...............
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Aren't most of Leaf's products not filled with base? I think that's part of it they probably do a lot of hand packing and their products only have a handful of cards per pack.

For big products like say Chrome, there's no way to throw the auto in a toploader for example and still package it normally.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Aren't most of Leaf's products not filled with base? I think that's part of it they probably do a lot of hand packing and their products only have a handful of cards per pack.

For big products like say Chrome, there's no way to throw the auto in a toploader for example and still package it normally.
Well the OP was referring more to their "one pack" products like Five Star.

Again, I don't have a problem with the idea from a consumer standpoint but from a business standpoint that's how Leaf stands apart. And yes, it DOES help that most of their products are "hit only" where they can package it like that, added to them not selling tens of thousands of boxes a year like Topps.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Well the OP was referring more to their "one pack" products like Five Star.

Again, I don't have a problem with the idea from a consumer standpoint but from a business standpoint that's how Leaf stands apart. And yes, it DOES help that most of their products are "hit only" where they can package it like that, added to them not selling tens of thousands of boxes a year like Topps.
Ah I see, I haven't busted any Momentum or Prominence didn't realize they were those types thought were more like Certified or stuff like that.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's one of the nice things with Panini's 2010 Plates & Patches. They included the big hit in a magnetic case inside the box.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Topps sent me a redemption once that was ultra thick and squeezed into a top loader half the correct size... Had to cut the damn thing out with a razor.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Topps did this with Museum Collection baseball, people still bitched.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post

That's what I was thinking. The majority of their products are things that don't come in packs, Valiant, FanFare, Draft etc.
So for Topps to topload the big hits would be a logistical nightmare, also wouldn't it make a pack seachers job even easier?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRage View Post
That's what I was thinking. The majority of their products are things that don't come in packs, Valiant, FanFare, Draft etc.
So for Topps to topload the big hits would be a logistical nightmare, also wouldn't it make a pack seachers job even easier?
Limited
Playbook
Prime Signatures
Timeless Treasures
National Treasures
Five Star
Inception
Prominence
Supreme
Triple Threads (Maybe)
Exquisite even.

These are just some of the top of my head. I was not talking about just Topps and their products with 200 base cards per box. I said either high end where you pay $200 for 2 hits or one pack boxes like most of the above. Especially stuff like Five Star and NT. Those are hand packed anyway so why not slip them in a toploader?
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote