Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default Looking for some levelheaded advice

as I'm just not thinking straight right now because I'm just furious at the moment.

So I make a paypal/card trade on here recently with cards in excess of $50 in value, when making the trade it was known to the other party that I was planning on then selling the card I was receiving in the deal. So maybe I should have asked if there was anything wrong with the card before making the deal, but the person had more than enough feedback that I guess I just assumed they would have disclosed it because that's what I do in any trade/sale.

So I get my end of the trade in the mail today, and when signing the card, the player obviously ran off the edge with the pen and made two pen marks on the edge of the card. Now this in my opinion would really hurt the value of the card, probably taking it down at least 25% as many people in this hobby are very picky about card condition obviously.

I message the member telling them that I was not happy, as there is no way this shouldn't have been disclosed from the start, especially knowing that I was going to be trying and selling the card. He responds saying he didn't realize the mark was there or that he had forgotten about it, and didn't see it when packing it up, which I just have a hard time believing as I noticed it before even taking it out of the team bag.

He says he'll send my cards back to me on Monday and I should send his back and refund the money, which is where the problem comes in. I don't have it anymore, the reason I wanted the paypal out of the deal was because I wanted to bid on some PC items, items that I would have passed on if I didn't have the money.

So to me, I'm not happy with the thought of having to try and sell some of my other cards at the moment just so that we can go back on this deal.

Now I'm not going to name the member, which is why I covered the card with a filler so nobody could see it in case they knew who had it before. But as you can see, it's not just some little dot on there, which is why I think it severely hurts it's value as it would probably kill any grading on the edges if not also taking points off on the auto at the same time because of it.

So as I said in my title, I'd like some level headed advice on this issue as I'm not at all in a clear state of mind at the moment.

Sorry the pic is kinda blurry, didn't want to focus real well with it being so close to the card

__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc

Last edited by zonacats8; 10-07-2012 at 01:56 AM.
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
as I'm just not thinking straight right now because I'm just furious at the moment.

So I make a paypal/card trade on here recently with cards in excess of $50 in value, when making the trade it was known to the other party that I was planning on then selling the card I was receiving in the deal. So maybe I should have asked if there was anything wrong with the card before making the deal, but the person had more than enough feedback that I guess I just assumed they would have disclosed it because that's what I do in any trade/sale.

So I get my end of the trade in the mail today, and when signing the card, the player obviously ran off the edge with the pen and made two pen marks on the edge of the card. Now this in my opinion would really hurt the value of the card, probably taking it down at least 25% as many people in this hobby are very picky about card condition obviously.

I message the member telling them that I was not happy, as there is no way this shouldn't have been disclosed from the start, especially knowing that I was going to be trying and selling the card. He responds saying he didn't realize the mark was there or that he had forgotten about it, and didn't see it when packing it up, which I just have a hard time believing as I noticed it before even taking it out of the team bag.

He says he'll send my cards back to me on Monday and I should send his back and refund the money, which is where the problem comes in. I don't have it anymore, the reason I wanted the paypal out of the deal was because I wanted to bid on some PC items, items that I would have passed on if I didn't have the money.

So to me, I'm not happy with the thought of having to try and sell some of my other cards at the moment just so that we can go back on this deal.

Now I'm not going to name the member, which is why I covered the card with a filler so nobody could see it in case they knew who had it before. But as you can see, it's not just some little dot on there, which is why I think it severely hurts it's value as it would probably kill any grading on the edges if not also taking points off on the auto at the same time because of it.

So as I said in my title, I'd like some level headed advice on this issue as I'm not at all in a clear state of mind at the moment.

I don't like you and you don't like me, and we both know it.

However, this is a tough situation. Did the member in question not provide scans of the card? If he didn't, did you ever stop and ask about the condition of the card? I mean I agree with you that the information should be disclosed, but it's also partially your responsibility to inquire about the condition of the card and asked to be provided a scan. As far as the money goes, this put you in a tough spot. Maybe the member will allow you to pay him/her back at a later date? Good luck with this.
GatorBoyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
DCN12586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Daphne, Alabama
Posts: 3,749
Default

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but did you see a scan of the card prior to making the trade?
DCN12586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Clarka3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,666
Default

that's rough.

kyle, if you want to trade-sell it to me, i'm not uber picky about that. i'll ship you some vons in return if you'd like to move it and still have some product to sell. whittling down my collection anyhow.


and for everybody asking about seeing the scans, how often do you see the side of a card on a scan? just wanted to head that one off at the pass for the OP.
__________________
THE Luke Kuechly Super Collector
pending: w8lifter28 (customs),

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
that's rough.

kyle, if you want to trade-sell it to me, i'm not uber picky about that. i'll ship you some vons in return if you'd like to move it and still have some product to sell. whittling down my collection anyhow.


and for everybody asking about seeing the scans, how often do you see the side of a card on a scan? just wanted to head that one off at the pass for the OP.
You see a front scan of the card and you can't notice that the ink runs to the corner?
GatorBoyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 6,812
Default

That makes the card a 1/1 auto, i mean he tried to sign the side of the card too that's awesome. $999.99 on eBay my friend. Seriously I would just sell it and let the person know of the pen mark on the side
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBoyInTN View Post
I don't like you and you don't like me, and we both know it.

However, this is a tough situation. Did the member in question not provide scans of the card? If he didn't, did you ever stop and ask about the condition of the card? I mean I agree with you that the information should be disclosed, but it's also partially your responsibility to inquire about the condition of the card and asked to be provided a scan. As far as the money goes, this put you in a tough spot. Maybe the member will allow you to pay him/her back at a later date? Good luck with this.
It's funny that you say that because I was about to send you a PM starting it off with that sentence and then asking for your opinion because I felt you'd be the best person to give me advice as you clearly wouldn't be on my side from the start, hahaha, so thanks for jumping in here!

But to answer your questions, no I didn't ask on the condition, but at the same time, he told me in a PM just now that he either didn't know about the mark, or had forgotten about it, so I'm assuming I'd have gotten an answer saying it was fine.

I did see a scan of it, but it was a straight on shot, couldn't see the edge like that, never would have assumed it would have had that mark as I've seen countless of auto's run off the card without any sort of mark on the edge

Really the crux of the issue is the money, as if it had been a straight up trade it would be easy and no problem to just go back on it and send the cards back.

It's that I wanted the paypal out of the deal to pick up some PC cards that I would have passed on if I didn't have the money. So for me to have to then sell off cards I have now to go back on this deal, even if I pay it in the future, has me pretty upset and why this is such an issue for me.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
But to answer your questions, no I didn't ask on the condition, but at the same time, he told me in a PM just now that he either didn't know about the mark, or had forgotten about it, so I'm assuming I'd have gotten an answer saying it was fine.
Oh, and even though I didn't ask, I just have a hard time believing he didn't see it when packing it up, it stood out like a sore thumb the second I pulled it out of the bubble mailer, I just thought it was a glare off something at first which is why I then went and checked it out.

So he should have sent me a message at that point saying something about it, thus adding to the frustration I guess.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 6,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
It's funny that you say that because I was about to send you a PM starting it off with that sentence and then asking for your opinion because I felt you'd be the best person to give me advice as you clearly wouldn't be on my side from the start, hahaha, so thanks for jumping in here!

But to answer your questions, no I didn't ask on the condition, but at the same time, he told me in a PM just now that he either didn't know about the mark, or had forgotten about it, so I'm assuming I'd have gotten an answer saying it was fine.

I did see a scan of it, but it was a straight on shot, couldn't see the edge like that, never would have assumed it would have had that mark as I've seen countless of auto's run off the card without any sort of mark on the edge

Really the crux of the issue is the money, as if it had been a straight up trade it would be easy and no problem to just go back on it and send the cards back.

It's that I wanted the paypal out of the deal to pick up some PC cards that I would have passed on if I didn't have the money. So for me to have to then sell off cards I have now to go back on this deal, even if I pay it in the future, has me pretty upset and why this is such an issue for me.
Ah, we all have people on our we will never see eye to eye with, but at the end of the day we all have the same hobby.

I mean this does have you in a tough situation. His response that it was fine is a little sketchy IMO. How do you forget a huge blue mark on the side of the card? That's like forgetting that a corner is dinged. I would just continue to try and work with the member in question here and see where things go. I mean I wouldn't think to ask if there is a pen mark on a side of a card when I go to do a deal with someone, but would think that something such as this would be mentioned. Not saying the other member is a cheat or a scam by anymeans, but does seem odd to me.
GatorBoyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBoyInTN View Post
Ah, we all have people on our we will never see eye to eye with, but at the end of the day we all have the same hobby.

I mean this does have you in a tough situation. His response that it was fine is a little sketchy IMO. How do you forget a huge blue mark on the side of the card? That's like forgetting that a corner is dinged. I would just continue to try and work with the member in question here and see where things go. I mean I wouldn't think to ask if there is a pen mark on a side of a card when I go to do a deal with someone, but would think that something such as this would be mentioned. Not saying the other member is a cheat or a scam by anymeans, but does seem odd to me.
Exactly, not everyone gets along with everyone in this world, hahaha, and speaking of the hobby, I've got a Kendall I'm gonna send you

Yea, I'm not saying he's a cheat or scam either, not at all, which is why I'm not saying his name in here because I don't want anyone else thinking that because I don't think he is. And to clarify, he never said it was "fine" I had said that I assumed I would have got an answer like that because he had just said that he didn't remember that mark being on there or he had just never noticed it.

To his credit, he offered immediately to send mine back and for me to send his, which was great, I just don't think he thought about it from my end of it because of the paypal portion of it and what I wanted it at that time.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeMan12406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Heart of Texas
Posts: 13,410
Default

You messed up by spending the money before the deal was even complete. That's totally on you man.
__________________
Bury me alive, bury me with pride
Bury me with berries, that forbidden fruit and cherry wine
Thank you berry much, but tonight's my night and I'm Barry Bonds
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

So.......

Just took some herbal medicine and thinking much calmer and clearer, probably why my previous post was a little more relaxed and nicer, but here's what I'm thinking and wondering if you guys thought it was reasonable before bringing it to him

Here is what I had offered to him, I redacted the card in question to protect the identity of all involved, lol

Quote:
So I'm basically looking for $75 in trade value in return

The 6 completed listings for the XXXXXX in order of most recent on back is 51, 35, 47, 60, 64, 60 which makes me think that most of the XXXXXX collectors have theirs already and why the prices have gone down a bit. That's an average of $52 with the last 3 averaging 44, I say we split the difference between those two numbers at $48.

Then adding $27 paypal to bring it to $75 coming back to me that I'm looking for.

Let me know what you think
I thought this was a fair offer, but I'm not against budging a bit so from there we went down to $20 in paypal (I literally have .27 now which is why I can't give it back) and he added a $2-3 PC card as well.

So I'm thinking we go to the low end average of $44 from the $48 and add in the $7 and say $2 for the PC card which brings us to $13.

I think I should get a card worth about that from him, as I'd have asked for more had I known about this damage (I really wouldn't have asked for it, but I don't want to make him take this back and give me a non "damaged" card in return, don't think that's fully fair).

Or if he doesn't want to do that, to send me a $13 paypal gift payment to make up for the difference.

Thoughts?
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
You messed up by spending the money before the deal was even complete. That's totally on you man.
I think that if either mine or his cards were damaged in shipping (not by our fault) and we needed to go back on the deal, then yes, but this was something that should have been disclosed either before the deal was agreed upon or even told about if seen when packing up to ship, thus avoiding the issue at hand.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeMan12406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Heart of Texas
Posts: 13,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
I think that if either mine or his cards were damaged in shipping (not by our fault) and we needed to go back on the deal, then yes, but this was something that should have been disclosed either before the deal was agreed upon or even told about if seen when packing up to ship, thus avoiding the issue at hand.
No, the deal isn't completed until both members leave feedback. Well members here are known to flake on leaving feedback but you get the gist. You have to take in to account anything happening. Never spend the money before the deal is done.
__________________
Bury me alive, bury me with pride
Bury me with berries, that forbidden fruit and cherry wine
Thank you berry much, but tonight's my night and I'm Barry Bonds
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
jimssouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,544
Default

If the guy really has "awesome feedback", then this issue should solve itself. In fact, it sounds like he already tried to solve it. Most of us inspect the hell out of our cards, but even I have about 200 auto / game - used on my desk right now and sometimes it's not easy to remember everything. It could easily have just been a mistake on his part. It's not his fault you already spent the Paypal, either. Once again, I understand the frustration but it sounds like something you guys can handle in private.
__________________
Theme of the Night: Song Lyrics
jimssouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
mmbtvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,784
Default

I know my personal policy is, if someone is unhappy with their purchase/trade, then we go back to zero. Everything has to be returned. It sounds like he is trying to work with you. You should consider yourself lucky that you are dealing with someone is is flexible.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Why is every problem you have...

A) a life or death matter?
B) have to be posted here?

Just handle your business instead of whining about it to all of us.

Is it me or are we seeing more and more of these types of threads?
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Military APO in Italy
Posts: 7,852
Default

do you know you can enter your banking info in paypal and pay directly from your checking account, or credit card?

I always hear people say "I don't have paypal", but you have money in the bank right? Or a credit card?
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
matfanofold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 66
Default

Aside from the unfortunate situation, I think that if someone is going to actively buy, sell, or trade then they should have the means to fix/refund said transactions if an issue arises. This to me is a sort of pet peeve, have the means available to rectify any and all issues before commiting to buying/selling/trading... This goes for both buyer, seller, or either end of a deal.
matfanofold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
BigNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: RI
Posts: 542
Default

That's why I never spend paypal that I get from someone until they have received cards and have left feedback.
BigNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Why is every problem you have...

A) a life or death matter?
B) have to be posted here?

Just handle your business instead of whining about it to all of us.

Is it me or are we seeing more and more of these types of threads?
Hey jackass, if you don't have something worthwhile to post, stay the #@#@#@#@ out of my threads

This is only the second advice thread I've posted and the other was when I first started, have had other issues pop up that were easily dealt with, was just looking for some thoughts on a new situation I had never thought would come up.

There is nothing wrong with these threads, there is no reason someone shouldn't be able to ask for some advice as to how something on here should be handled, if you don't like it, just don't read those threads.

This is why 95% of this board can't stand you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
do you know you can enter your banking info in paypal and pay directly from your checking account, or credit card?

I always hear people say "I don't have paypal", but you have money in the bank right? Or a credit card?
I have the money in my bank account, but that's not the issue here, I realize there is a risk in spending money from a sale/trade before the cards are wi th the new owner because something could get lost or damaged. I was willing to take the risk of everything arriving the way they should as I've yet to have a problem like that come up.

It's that this is completely different, everything arrived just fine but felt this is something that should have been disclosed earlier as we wouldn't have a problem if it was.

And the reason I don't want to transfer the money over from my bank is that I've been without a job for a couple months and haven't spent a dime of my savings (and won't) on cards until I get a new job. My cards budget is everything in my PayPal account and my collection, anything I can sell or trade.
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/jonathan-stewart-pc
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,558
Default

I dont see a mark caused by the player signing as a flaw in the card.
__________________
Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (100 of which are auto'd)
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/collegetim916
[B]Marino Most Wanted:
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
FreeMan12406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Heart of Texas
Posts: 13,410
Default

You shouldnt of spent the money. /thread
__________________
Bury me alive, bury me with pride
Bury me with berries, that forbidden fruit and cherry wine
Thank you berry much, but tonight's my night and I'm Barry Bonds
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
superynaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 5,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
That's why I never spend paypal that I get from someone until they have received cards and have left feedback.
Exactly... +1...
__________________
CASE KEENUM COLLECTOR-PAYPAL ALWAYS AVAILABLE!!!
superynaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
You shouldnt of spent the money. /thread
Pretty much this........

Last edited by ajscards101; 10-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.