Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #26 (permalink)

If your in it just for the money? Don't buy Football.... The money is in Basketball! People are making serious coin on Fleer retro! Its too late for that now but for the future anything thats going to have MJ in it will be solid!! Exquisite Basket is coming out on the 16th and its loaded with MJ autos it should be good!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, Basketball seems to have more star power to the hits. Football hits are good but that super star value seems to be missing from the rookie cards and the vets that are already established seem to have a lot more in circulation and they seem to have already peaked in value like the Hall of Fame player auto's in topps supreme aren't going to go up from where they are. There is no telling How much some of Durant's and Griffin's cards are going to be.

2012 topps chrome sounds good and so does topps supreme and National treasures is intriguing but too expensive. The thing of it is I'm not so sure that there is a lot of juice past RG3 and Luck, Richardson maybe but the 2011 class has about a half dozen real solid players and some more nice prospects it seems hard to choose
paydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller81 View Post
If your in it just for the money? Don't buy Football.... The money is in Basketball! People are making serious coin on Fleer retro! Its too late for that now but for the future anything thats going to have MJ in it will be solid!! Exquisite Basket is coming out on the 16th and its loaded with MJ autos it should be good!
Exquisite Basketball seems too "generous" for most hits to really offer a strong ROI. One Jordan auto per case plus either a Bird, Lebron, Magic, Bill Russell, Dr. J...or another Jordan auto. So they're promising thousands of Jordan autos? Over saturation even before the product is out. Better hope the Jordan you hit is numbered loooooow.

Fleer Retro was a different beast. With the PMGs and buybacks, you have 233 Jordans (150 PMG red, 50 blue, 10 green, 23 buybacks) that are strong hits. There's Lebron, but his red PMGs are barely exceeding current box prices.

A month after release there will be more Jordan Exquisite autos on the market than the entire print run of Jordans in Fleer Retro. I'd be careful with a product that promises so much.
FanboyOfNone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
Exquisite Basketball seems too "generous" for most hits to really offer a strong ROI. One Jordan auto per case plus either a Bird, Lebron, Magic, Bill Russell, Dr. J...or another Jordan auto. So they're promising thousands of Jordan autos? Over saturation even before the product is out. Better hope the Jordan you hit is numbered loooooow.

Fleer Retro was a different beast. With the PMGs and buybacks, you have 233 Jordans (150 PMG red, 50 blue, 10 green, 23 buybacks) that are strong hits. There's Lebron, but his red PMGs are barely exceeding current box prices.

A month after release there will be more Jordan Exquisite autos on the market than the entire print run of Jordans in Fleer Retro. I'd be careful with a product that promises so much.
So what do you recommend then? for Profits only...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticamc2 View Post
Don't you think if it was easy that everyone would be rich off this hobby?
Could be worse, you could have been one of those fools 15 years ago who went out and bought cases of 1989 Fleer Baseball and 1990-1991 Upper Deck Basketball with hopes of paying for your kids college a decade later LMAO.

I had to laugh/cry for the hobby sake at least when I stopped collecting cards around 1997, and ten years later while being laid up from a back injury, I went and bought some boxes of 2008 Football, and discovered poor bastards on eBay selling those same '89 Fleer Baseball CASES for like $9 a piece. So many fools thought they would get rich 15 years ago by buying cases of cards like 1990 Leaf and the like, only to lose their shirts (and pretty much everything else too) when the market was over saturated with crap. You know it's bad in the collecting industry when you could still find 1988 Donruss baseball, quite possibly the most hideous card design in history 10 years later at Wal-mart in those rip-off sports card wonder packs....
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Ha Ha that's funny, I remember when we shared a box of those 89 Donruss and I think it was like $25. Amazing the price of those things back then and it's funny that now they are like $5 a box if that. I remember when those 89 fleer were a $1.25 a pack and you thought that it was a great deal, I bought several of those packs, I used to really like 89 fleer. I was a young man, not trying to re sale but I was a collector and I thought that the cards would be worth money, funny how that turned out.
paydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Strength View Post
Could be worse, you could have been one of those fools 15 years ago who went out and bought cases of 1989 Fleer Baseball and 1990-1991 Upper Deck Basketball with hopes of paying for your kids college a decade later LMAO.

I had to laugh/cry for the hobby sake at least when I stopped collecting cards around 1997, and ten years later while being laid up from a back injury, I went and bought some boxes of 2008 Football, and discovered poor bastards on eBay selling those same '89 Fleer Baseball CASES for like $9 a piece. So many fools thought they would get rich 15 years ago by buying cases of cards like 1990 Leaf and the like, only to lose their shirts (and pretty much everything else too) when the market was over saturated with crap. You know it's bad in the collecting industry when you could still find 1988 Donruss baseball, quite possibly the most hideous card design in history 10 years later at Wal-mart in those rip-off sports card wonder packs....
90 LEAF 2 CASES were selling at over $200 a box back in the mid 90's. factory cost was about $57 box. so if you bought and held a 40 case lot at around
factory cost and flipped 3 years later you made a pretty good chunk of change. i know some guys who made some huge profits with that stuff
The most CRAZY thing i remember being involved with buying/flipping was 90 UD HI FRENCH hockey selling for $600-700 box or $13,000 a case. I still have a case it's worth about $225-250 now or $12 per box

Last edited by BOOMER7; 10-08-2012 at 09:35 PM.
BOOMER7 is online now   Reply With Quote