Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default WINDY CITY GRIDIRON: Is Lance Briggs a Hall Of Fame Player?

Sold .

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/dabears1985/a/for-sale

Last edited by DaBears 1985; 07-25-2014 at 10:09 AM.
DaBears 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

yes !!!!!!!!!!
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd say yes. He has been overshadowed by Urlacher when in my opinion he is better than Urlacher.
Broski044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

If he plays another decade, pads stats and wins a ring, he might get in without a ticket.

If his stats are HOF worthy, then how about

38.5 sacks
1190 tackles
12 INTs
4 SB trips

That's Darryl Talley.
If Talley isn't in, there's no shot Briggs is in
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
If he plays another decade, pads stats and wins a ring, he might get in without a ticket.

If his stats are HOF worthy, then how about

38.5 sacks
1190 tackles
12 INTs
4 SB trips

That's Darryl Talley.
If Talley isn't in, there's no shot Briggs is in
agreed,lance briggs is not close to a hof'er
emmitt22mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say NO

http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

No... when did the HOF become amateur hour?
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not a HOFer in my opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I always thought that LBs that don't get big sack totals are overlooked unless they are the elite of the elite, like a Ray Lewis.

There are less than 25 LBs in the NFL HOF and only 4 of them played into the 90's and none that have played past 99.

I will be interested to see if you guys like Zach Thomas, London Fletcher, Derrick Brooks, or Keith Bulluck sniff the HOF. If they do then I think someone like Briggs has a shot if he keeps his play up.

I would go with no though
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

no, not even close.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post
I always thought that LBs that don't get big sack totals are overlooked unless they are the elite of the elite, like a Ray Lewis.

There are less than 25 LBs in the NFL HOF and only 4 of them played into the 90's and none that have played past 99.

I will be interested to see if you guys like Zach Thomas, London Fletcher, Derrick Brooks, or Keith Bulluck sniff the HOF. If they do then I think someone like Briggs has a shot if he keeps his play up.

I would go with no though
No, Lord No, Probable, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
raiderguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

London Fletcher can barely even get into the probowl, he will never sniff the Hall of Fame. Last season the probowl elected that Brian Urlacher go to the Probowl and not Fletcher even though Fletcher had 60 more tackles then Urlacher, had only 1.5 sacks less then Urlacher did, and had 2 more INT's then Urlacher did. The league hates London Fletcher and will never let him in the Hall of Fame

Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderguy10 View Post
No, Lord No, Probable, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I was trying to think of LBs that were above average guys but were more bulk tacklers but didn't have the flashy numbers. He was the only guy I could think of off the top of my head.

I think Brooks eventually makes it. Zach Thomas was nasty, 7 time Pro Bowl, 5 time First Team All-Pro. I think if guys like that don't get in then Briggs pretty much doesn't have a shot.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Maybe he an Hester can go in together
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think its close. Definitely depends on the next couple years. If he can make it 9 straight pro bowls and the Bears make it deep into the playoffs in one or both of the next two years, I think he's got a good shot.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
London Fletcher can barely even get into the probowl, he will never sniff the Hall of Fame. Last season the probowl elected that Brian Urlacher go to the Probowl and not Fletcher even though Fletcher had 60 more tackles then Urlacher, had only 1.5 sacks less then Urlacher did, and had 2 more INT's then Urlacher did. The league hates London Fletcher and will never let him in the Hall of Fame
It's not because they hate him, it's because he doesn't deserve to get in......
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

No, he's not and not really close.
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

borderline but no
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurg View Post
It's not because they hate him, it's because he doesn't deserve to get in......
Who is the one guy in the NFL that's started every game since the 1998 season and never missed a game? What exactly does someone have to do to get into the Probowl exactly?

Compare Brian Urlacher's 13 year career to Fletcher's: 1285 tackles, 10 Forced Fumbles, 21 Interceptions, 21 games missed, 0 Superbowl Rings

to

London Fletcher's 15 year career: 1782 tackles, 18 Forced Fumbles, 18 Interceptions, 0 Missed Games, 1 Superbowl Ring

Seem like similar players to me with the numbers swaying in Fletchers favor. But look at how the probowls and recognition awards have gone:

Brian Urlacher:
8 Pro Bowl (2000-2003, 2005-2006, 2010-2011)
5 All-Pro (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010)

to

London Fletcher:
3 Pro Bowl (2009, 2010, 2011)
Second-team All-Pro (2011)

That hardly seems fair to me when you also know that the NFL's leading tackler with the most tackles from 2000-2009 was London Fletcher who only got one probowl in that time. I've never understood why Fletcher was treated this way but your entitled to your opinion

Last edited by addicted36; 10-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Who is the one guy in the NFL that's started every game since the 1998 season and never missed a game? What exactly does someone have to do to get into the Probowl exactly?

Compare Brian Urlacher's 13 year career to Fletcher's: 1285 tackles, 10 Forced Fumbles, 21 Interceptions, 21 games missed, 0 Superbowl Rings

to

London Fletcher's 15 year career: 1782 tackles, 18 Forced Fumbles, 18 Interceptions, 0 Missed Games, 1 Superbowl Ring

Seem like similar players to me with the numbers swaying in Fletchers favor. But look at how the probowls and recognition awards have gone:

Brian Urlacher:
8 Pro Bowl (2000-2003, 2005-2006, 2010-2011)
5 All-Pro (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2010)

to

London Fletcher:
3 Pro Bowl (2009, 2010, 2011)
Second-team All-Pro (2011)

That hardly seems fair to me when you also know that the NFL's leading tackler with the most tackles from 2000-2009 was London Fletcher who only got one probowl in that time. I've never understood why Fletcher was treated this way but your entitled to your opinion
I think the tackles statistic is overrated. Average players can have high totals, it's more based on situation than skill. Tackles for loss, forced fumbles, sacks, batted passes, interceptions (basically impact plays) are a better metric.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the tackles statistic is overrated. Average players can have high totals, it's more based on situation than skill. Tackles for loss, forced fumbles, sacks, batted passes, interceptions (basically impact plays) are a better metric.
If I took the time to break down these stats as a comparison year by year and you saw that Fletcher beat out Urlacher for some of those years when Urlacher got the Probowls and Fletcher was snubbed would you have an excuse for that and blow it off or would you admit you agree with me that it hardly seems fair that someone who was doing just as much and sometimes more then the other guy was always left out in the cold for the awards and recognition? I really don't want to waste my time doing this if your not open to that idea. I'm positive using your stats the numbers would say this. I do believe that Fletcher was left out of Probowls when he earned them simply so Urlacher could go because Urlacher was a brand for the NFL and marketing tool they wanted to use and promote where as the blue collar worker Fletcher wasn't and was left out until recently. But if your not open to analyzing this I won't waste my time

Saw this while looking these stats up..."Even after winning the NFL Defensive Player of the Year Award for the 2005 season, a 2006 Sports Illustrated poll of 361 NFL players named Urlacher the second most overrated player in the league behind Terrell Owens." I never remember hearing that Fletcher was over rated like this

Last edited by addicted36; 10-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
If I took the time to break down these stats as a comparison year by year and you saw that Fletcher beat out Urlacher for most of those years when Urlacher got the Probowls and Fletcher was snubbed would you have an excuse for that and blow it off or would you admit you agree with me that it hardly seems fair that someone who was doing just as much and sometimes more then the other guy was always left out in the cold for the awards and recognition? I really don't want to waste my time doing this if your not open to that idea. The numbers would say this. And I do believe that Fletcher was left out of Probowls when he earned them simply so Urlacher could go.
I don't disagree. I do think Fletcher has been snubbed from Pro Bowls. However, I also think he was a victim of circumstance, with both Urlacher and Brooks making it every year. I also don't think Pro Bowls are very relevant or important. I said he isn't a Hall of Famer.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
If I took the time to break down these stats as a comparison year by year and you saw that Fletcher beat out Urlacher for some of those years when Urlacher got the Probowls and Fletcher was snubbed would you have an excuse for that and blow it off or would you admit you agree with me that it hardly seems fair that someone who was doing just as much and sometimes more then the other guy was always left out in the cold for the awards and recognition? I really don't want to waste my time doing this if your not open to that idea. I'm positive using your stats the numbers would say this. I do believe that Fletcher was left out of Probowls when he earned them simply so Urlacher could go because Urlacher was a brand for the NFL and marketing tool they wanted to use and promote where as the blue collar worker Fletcher wasn't and was left out until recently. But if your not open to analyzing this I won't waste my time
He was overlooked as well while he was in Buffalo for the 4 or 5 years there
Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

The problem with Fletcher unfortunately is that he hasn't really played for high profile teams. Even on the Rams, the offense was the only thing anyone talked about. Warner, Bruce, and Faulk. The 40 point a game Trifecta.

He could still have a shot if his numbers stay good, he's in a couple more Pro Bowls, and especially if he gets another ring. He has to keep working against the bias.
FanboyOfNone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't disagree. I do think Fletcher has been snubbed from Pro Bowls. However, I also think he was a victim of circumstance, with both Urlacher and Brooks making it every year. I also don't think Pro Bowls are very relevant or important. I said he isn't a Hall of Famer.
I respect that you think he isn't a hall of famer. I don't think either Urlacher or Fletcher ever changed the game or impacted it enough to be considered for the Hall of Fame. My point was this. That Urlacher very early in his career got the NFL to back him after they saw the money train with him. Urlacher early on was selling jerseys like the most popular players during that time, Mike Vick. Urlacher got commercials and sponsorships that catapulted him to rare heights NFL players on dream about. It was because of this popularity that he received all of those awards and someone as deserving as Fletcher didn't for years. It was only until people grew tired of Urlacher did they bother to notice was Fletcher had been quietly doing for over a decade. If the NFL's probowl selection was simply given on merit and production then Fletcher would have gotten in earlier. The reason Fletcher didn't get the same award love wasn't that Urlacher was better, he was simply the guy the league got behind first.