Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
if he played any better he'd be the best running back in the league with so much hype it would explode ESPN
What?

I think it is telling he is losing carries to Blount. Through the first 2 games, Martin had 44 carries to Blounts 3. In the last 2, Martin has only 27 to Blount's 10. A 94% to 73% drop is significant.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrist1732 View Post
What?

I think it is telling he is losing carries to Blount. Through the first 2 games, Martin had 44 carries to Blounts 3. In the last 2, Martin has only 27 to Blount's 10. A 94% to 73% drop is significant.

yeah I still stand behind my original statement, if he averaged any more yards per game he would be doing better than trent richardson and his popularity would explode..... 1 big run for a touchdown could easily have him surpass richardson who is very popular at the moment.

In my opinion the blount situation is just to save doug martin from goal line & 3rd down banging while not in a good situation, they put blount "THE MUCH BIGGER BACK" in and let him bang. just a gameplan type of thing, doug martin has performed pretty well so far. if he ran for 100 yards a game and close to 5 yards per carry they would compare him to the best ever at running back, he's just a rookie and having very solid production right out the gate, if they let him run 30 times a game he would be 100 yard a game back.... they just limited him, in my opinion he's doing great, and will get his chance to shine heavily in the very near future.

barry sanders first 4 games in the nfl he had 255 yards rushing
emmitt smith first 4 games in the nfl he had 104 yards rushing

and they are some of the best to ever do it

doug martin has 247 yards in his first 4 games
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

it's all semantics

Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #29 (permalink)

And if Weeden has thrown for 350 yards, 3 tds and 0 ints each game we would compare him to the greatest qbs of all time. But he hasn't and neither has martin. I don't understand your arguement.

The same could be said about every player in the league. 'If XX played better, they would be considered a top player'

Last edited by JChrist1732; 10-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.
JChrist1732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
And if Weeden has thrown for 350 yards, 3 tds and 0 ints each game we would compare him to the greatest qbs of all time. But he hasn't and neither has martin. I don't understand your arguement.

The same could be said about every player in the league. 'If XX played better, they would be considered a top player'
what rookie running back have you ever seen come in the league and set the NFL on fire in 4 games? I mean your statements aren't realistic, him being solid right now on a weak team is an extremely good sign of his talent in my opinion. blount has weaker stats in his attempts, it's not like he's going to be replaced anytime soon. he had 4.1 yards per carry in his last game if they run him for the whole game he would be str8 money, he is a 100 yard a game rusher if they give him the carries every game, not sure what more you could ask for out of a rookie... what other rookies are doing that, not many in previous years.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #31 (permalink)

One point nobody has mentioned yet is that Josh Freeman isn't throwing the ball to him! When Martin was drafted people said he would be a pass catching back like LeSean McCoy, and on a team like TB I bet a lot of people expected 6-8 receptions per game. TB needs to make the most of him. He has good hands. Run some screen passes and let him take over the field.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
what rookie running back have you ever seen come in the league and set the NFL on fire in 4 games? I mean your statements aren't realistic, him being solid right now on a weak team is an extremely good sign of his talent in my opinion. blount has weaker stats in his attempts, it's not like he's going to be replaced anytime soon. he had 4.1 yards per carry in his last game if they run him for the whole game he would be str8 money, he is a 100 yard a game rusher if they give him the carries every game, not sure what more you could ask for out of a rookie... what other rookies are doing that, not many in previous years.
Alfred Morris played above average hahaha and nobody expected him to play this year
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

Hold onto it dude. He's got plenty of games to develop or have a huge game.

I'm kind of in the same boat, lot of money on Russell Wilson but if you have faith then just wait it out. It's a risk you're going to have to be willing to take if you're confident in their ability. Unless you're really hard pressed for the money right now.
ninjacookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Alfred Morris played above average hahaha and nobody expected him to play this year
very true, and this is exactly what i'm saying, if doug martin's stats were any higher than they currently are, he would be on fire right now.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
very true, and this is exactly what i'm saying, if doug martin's stats were any higher than they currently are, he would be on fire right now.
Uh, yeah. But they're not higher.

Quote:

SDcardguy24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDcardguy24 View Post
Uh, yeah. But they're not higher.
oh so you expect him to get drafted and rush for 300 yards a game as soon as he steps on the field I guess? people's expectations are not even realistic, no running backs do that. everybody's watching sportscenter and speculation.

at 3.5 yards per carry if you give him the ball 3 times you have a first down every time, he ran for 95 yards the first official NFL game.

stevan ridley only had 18 carrys in his first 4 nfl games........

what type of numbers would you expect from the guy?

if you think he sucks all I can say is revisit this thread so I can say I told you so, just like I said leshoure & ryan williams both suck

doug martin is definately going to have a break out game this year... might be sunday

all they have to do is give him the ball and his production is over 100 yards, he has produced he just didn't have the carries, he wasn't written into the gameplan properly

he's nothing like the other guys who you wait to play better, he's already playing well, he just needs more carries.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

doug martin will be fine... he's going to have a breakout game soon and his cards will be back on the rise
LeonfromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

No one for the Bucs is particularly lighting anything up right now, why is this surprising?
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
at 3.5 yards per carry if you give him the ball 3 times you have a first down every time, he ran for 95 yards the first official NFL game.

stevan ridley only had 18 carrys in his first 4 nfl games........
It is early, but you don't draft a guy in the first round to run for 3.5 yards per carry. 37 players have better yards per carry than him this year (I admit, some of those are a smaller sample size, but still).

Why did you bring up Ridley? Yes, he only had 18 carries through 4 games, but he averaged 8.2 yards per carry! He was also a 3rd round pick compared to a 1st round pick where the Bucs traded up to pick. Pretty big difference in terms of expectations.

We aren't saying Martin will never be a good RB, but through 4 games he hasn't been good. Been ok, but not good enough for a 1st round pick.

Last edited by JChrist1732; 10-12-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #40 (permalink)

then the same argument can be made for David Wilson... look at his numbers so far this season.

I guess he's not good enough for a 1st round pick either...

Both running backs are going to be future stars in the league.

Patience young grasshopper...
LeonfromNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

Nobody expected Wilson to come in and be the #1 RB. Bradshaw is a top 3 RB in the league when healthy and Andre brown stepped up and the whole crying thing didn't help wilsons cause at all either. But everybody expected Martin to come in and be the RB in Tampa and has not done that in most peoples eyes. He will be good in this league no doubt but as for the first 5 weeks he has not lived up to the hype put on him.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Hold onto it dude. He's got plenty of games to develop or have a huge game.

I'm kind of in the same boat, lot of money on Russell Wilson but if you have faith then just wait it out. It's a risk you're going to have to be willing to take if you're confident in their ability. Unless you're really hard pressed for the money right now.
I'm going to hold on to it ima star to PC the guy
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
It is early, but you don't draft a guy in the first round to run for 3.5 yards per carry. 37 players have better yards per carry than him this year (I admit, some of those are a smaller sample size, but still).

Why did you bring up Ridley? Yes, he only had 18 carries through 4 games, but he averaged 8.2 yards per carry! He was also a 3rd round pick compared to a 1st round pick where the Bucs traded up to pick. Pretty big difference in terms of expectations.

We aren't saying Martin will never be a good RB, but through 4 games he hasn't been good. Been ok, but not good enough for a 1st round pick.

you are completely clueless....... running backs don't just plug in and automatically become beast mode in the rookie season thru 4 games.......

walter payton rushed for 2.7 per carry over his first 4 games.......I guess nobody should have drafted him either huh?

people are too hyped up on video games and sportscenter and have unreal expectations.........

he hasn't broken out and been a beast, but he's performed well through his first 4 games, very solid.

typically running backs get a feel for the offense and then break out about mid season game 5 for adrian peterson was his break out 200+ yard game.

i'm not saying he's the best to ever do it, but everything indicates he will be a star back in the league.

37 players might have better yards per carry than him, but also, only 1 of those is a rookie "trent richardson" who barely has higher YPC, and was drafted alot higher.

nobody expected him to be better than trent richardson, he is performing pretty much exactly how people thought he would, he wasn't ever going to plug right into an offense and go for 200-300 yards in his first game, that rarely ever would happen, if it ever has
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
But everybody expected Martin to come in and be the RB in Tampa and has not done that in most peoples eyes. He will be good in this league no doubt but as for the first 5 weeks he has not lived up to the hype put on him.

"Schiano said it's best to just let the offensive line settle down and get used to its personnel before expecting more from Martin."
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
you are completely clueless....... running backs don't just plug in and automatically become beast mode in the rookie season thru 4 games.......

walter payton rushed for 2.7 per carry over his first 4 games.......I guess nobody should have drafted him either huh?

people are too hyped up on video games and sportscenter and have unreal expectations.........

he hasn't broken out and been a beast, but he's performed well through his first 4 games, very solid.

typically running backs get a feel for the offense and then break out about mid season game 5 for adrian peterson was his break out 200+ yard game.

i'm not saying he's the best to ever do it, but everything indicates he will be a star back in the league.

37 players might have better yards per carry than him, but also, only 1 of those is a rookie "trent richardson" who barely has higher YPC, and was drafted alot higher.

nobody expected him to be better than trent richardson, he is performing pretty much exactly how people thought he would, he wasn't ever going to plug right into an offense and go for 200-300 yards in his first game, that rarely ever would happen, if it ever has
Nothing like an unbiased opinion.........wait what you collect Martin?

Blount is already getting his foot back in the door- that is all I am going to say.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
he is performing pretty much exactly how people thought he would
Let us compare Doug Martin's stats to ESPNs weekly projected stats:
Through 4 games:
Actual: 71 carries for 247 yards or 3.5 per carry. 8 catches for 53 yards. 1 TD
ESPN Projections: 66 carries for 308 yards or 4.7 per carry. 13 catches for 95 yards. 4 TDs.

ESPN does their projections before each week opposed to before the season, so they had the luxery of seeing how poor Martin was doing and adjusted their pojections (for example, he was projected for 9 catches the first two game, but only 4 the final two). ESPN still thought he would have over 60 more rushing yards, over 1 yard per carry better, over 40 more recieving yards and 3 more TDs. I guess ESPN is also clueless?

Last edited by JChrist1732; 10-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Nothing like an unbiased opinion.........wait what you collect Martin?

Blount is already getting his foot back in the door- that is all I am going to say.
blount produced even less than martin..... so what foot back in the door is that? the head coach said the line didn't have they stuff together so he was going to let blount run it and not kill doug martin for no reason, and once they get back on point they would feature him full time and see what he can do..... that's work for work from tampa bay, he was limited on purpose.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Let us compare Doug Martin's stats to ESPNs weekly projected stats:
Through 4 games:
Actual: 71 carries for 247 yards or 3.5 per carry. 8 catches for 53 yards. 1 TD
ESPN Projections: 66 carries for 308 yards or 4.7 per carry. 13 catches for 95 yards. 4 TDs.

ESPN does their projections before each week opposed to before the season, so they had the luxery of seeing how poor Martin was doing and adjusted their pojections (for example, he was projected for 9 catches the first two game, but only 4 the final two). ESPN still thought he would have over 60 more rushing yards, over 1 yard per carry better, over 40 more recieving yards and 3 more TDs. I guess ESPN is also clueless?

projections have zero to do with talent....... people projected ryan leaf would take over the NFL, how did that work out? a projection is a guess. everybody projected tampa bay to be a better team, josh freeman to be better at QB, etc etc. the team has sucked, placing doug martin on tampa bay wasn't going to make the team become elite, everybody knew that from the start.

Arian Foster (Texans): 3.7 yards per carry, longest run 22 yards

Cedric Benson (Packers): 3.6 yards per carry, longest run 11 yards

Trent Richardson (Browns): 3.5 yards per carry, longest run 32 yards

Darren McFadden (Raiders): 3.5 yards per carry, longest run 64 yards

Steven Jackson (Rams): 3.3 yards per carry, longest run 23 yards

Shonn Greene (Jets): 2.8 yards per carry, longest run 14 yards

Chris Johnson (Titans): 3.2 yards per carry, longest run 19 yards
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #49 (permalink)

This whole debate is on if he has lived up to expectations through 4 games. I have provided factual numbers to support my claim, showing clear expectations compared to his actual stats. You provided self-selected statistics that show running backs with low yards per carry to show Martin isn't that bad. Does that show he has met expectations? No. Are those statistics randomly selected and free of bias? No, you picked those 7 RBs because they supported your claim.

Last edited by JChrist1732; 10-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #50 (permalink)

all im saying is, I feel like martin has done his part, the team lost a pro bowl lineman, and had other issues/switches on the line. he had a 20 yard run called back for holding just last game. espn was projecting him to plug into a team and have 4.7 yards per carry? after seeing the team was strugglin? I mean how realistic is that projection? if he did what espn projected from the start he would have been rookie of the year, blowing teams out.........

4.7 yards on 30 carries is 141 yards a game........ over 2000 yards rushing? I mean? is that realistic from a rookie?
3.5 yards on 30 carries is 105 yards a game........

arian foster is on an undefeated team and only has 4.0 yards per carry

is it realistic to think you are going to plug a rookie running back into a team that's down a pro bowl lineman and he's going to produce like the top performers in the NFL? that doesn't even make sense.

tampa bay needs to feature him for a game, let him take it 25-30 carries and see what he can do.

they only gave him the ball 8 times against the redskins, his production gave them zero reason to limit him, he was at 4.1 ypc..... if they would run him 30 times he would have 123 yards.

what is he really supposed to do? if they give him the ball he does well, he's not the best in the league typically no rookie ever is.

there are pro bowl, hall of fame, record holder running backs that didn't perform this well in the first 4 games of they career.

Last edited by Qwasian; 10-13-2012 at 01:38 PM.