Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshow View Post
these will definetly cause a decrease in the market for these... nobody wants a plastic shield it almost makes it look fake even tho its not. my favorites were always the reebok logo cards
I want one. Stop speaking for me.

collecting Quarterbacks ---> http://sportscardalbum.com/u/maninthemirror/a/quarterbacks
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

I am noticing a disturbing trend with the manufacturers, for the most part they give only half of what collectors want ona card. A great patch but a sticker auto, an on card auto but a plain jersey.
danimal875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
No, not "oh well". Stop being lazy and do a search. You would have quickly found this thread:

the new nike nfl shields.....
i really dont care, i get flamed for bumping a old thread or have some moron add absolutely zero to the discussion as you just did. Thanks for your contribution
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
I think the alarming thing is prior to this you thought they did care. Why in God's sweet holy taco name would Nike even remotely think about 1/1 logo shields when they design jerseys? Why on earth would that even be brought up? If some poor schmuck in a meeting brought that up, he would be shot....then fired.
I never said they did care, but if the market keeps getting changed to cheap garbage like this who will buy this nonsense? The NFL LOGO SHIELD has been for years the most popular card to own of a player. Now those cards look cheap. People buy those type of cards because of eye appeal, and believe the market for them will always be there and be valuable. They keep changing the ballgame in the 5th inning no one is gonna stick around until the 9th...just like front row tickets vs championship tickets, the front row 1/1s sold like garbage, it just did not catch on as opposed to the championship tickets from years gone by...

And it would not be Nike thinking about logo shields, it would be Topps and Panini going to the NFL saying this is what we want for our collectors, can we get together with you and nike to see if our best interests are being protected? Oh you are gonna produce what topps/panini asks, rubber duckeys that look like #@#@#@#@, no that will not fly, we will all lose money on that cheap crap. Let's stick with what has worked for the last 7-8 years. Deal?

will not own one even if it is given to me, RG3 or Luck, total crap!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
I never said they did care, but if the market keeps getting changed to cheap garbage like this who will buy this nonsense? The NFL LOGO SHIELD has been for years the most popular card to own of a player. Now those cards look cheap. People buy those type of cards because of eye appeal, and believe the market for them will always be there and be valuable. They keep changing the ballgame in the 5th inning no one is gonna stick around until the 9th...just like front row tickets vs championship tickets, the front row 1/1s sold like garbage, it just did not catch on as opposed to the championship tickets from years gone by...

And it would not be Nike thinking about logo shields, it would be Topps and Panini going to the NFL saying this is what we want for our collectors, can we get together with you and nike to see if our best interests are being protected? Oh you are gonna produce what topps/panini asks, rubber duckeys that look like #@#@#@#@, no that will not fly, we will all lose money on that cheap crap. Let's stick with what has worked for the last 7-8 years. Deal?

I really doubt Nike gives two sh!ts about what panini / topps want on their logo shield 1/1's. And how would Nike lose money on that?

"I lied..... ...I was listening to Slayer and laughing at your sister and your family."-IronMonkey415
iBLeeDBaTTLeReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs_rock21 View Post
Maybe you'd all be happier if they used the felt from the players jock?
Only if it was multi-color. None of that 1-color BS
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #32 (permalink)

im more worried about the inscription auto over saturation and now seeing nfl shield patch cards /5. used to be 1/1 now there is more /3 /5. will get to /10 in a year or 2 and the 1/1 will be worth 50% -80% less. i dont even see the point in collecting once you start to realize that most of it will be worthless in 5 years. i keep my pc limited and exceptional and flip to build it. im on pace for nice things this year

Last edited by phreak9; 10-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.
phreak9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #33 (permalink)

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan.. Would be easy to fake also.. Just bad. Nike needs to change that!
DOUGSEVIER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #34 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Razorsharp79;3490057]So nike put out new jersey that has those cheap looking shields, WOW. They obviously did not care about collectors who collect certain items. One reason I think those who have jsy # collections are borderline insane, at some point the fad will end or the player will change his # or get traded. Point being everything changes, and most times it is for the worse, most times...

I think card collectors were the last things on their minds, and rightfully so. It's not their job to design jerseys so people will like what they look like when they're cut into pieces
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #35 (permalink)

The Topps Finest 1/1 nFl Logo leather shield looks better then that
MrMasterpiece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

First world problems...

This has to be one of the worst reasons to rant about sports cards. Maybe they should make extra special cards per everyone's request because, God forbid, a relative handful of people don't like them.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #37 (permalink)

Looks like Topps messed up a bit

Check Brad98to6 Fleener PC thread, the Inception shield is the old Reebok type.
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
Looks like Topps messed up a bit

Check Brad98to6 Fleener PC thread, the Inception shield is the old Reebok type.
They probably just had some old jerseys laying around that they needed to get rid of.

The player only puts it on for a second (might not even put it on, could just touch it) so it doesn't matter too much.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

[QUOTE=hugh;3494331]
Quote:
So nike put out new jersey that has those cheap looking shields, WOW. They obviously did not care about collectors who collect certain items. One reason I think those who have jsy # collections are borderline insane, at some point the fad will end or the player will change his # or get traded. Point being everything changes, and most times it is for the worse, most times...

I think card collectors were the last things on their minds, and rightfully so. It's not their job to design jerseys so people will like what they look like when they're cut into pieces
I agree to an extent, not ranting at all either. Just sharing my opinion of what I think, if you agree or disagree is not the point. I am not mad or anything like that, as I can simply choose not to buy it.

There are a lot of people who collect shields, their appeal is undeniable. The NT and Exquisite 1/1 from years past are some of the most appealing cards on the market ever to exist. These rubber stamps or whatever they are will hurt card collecting more than they will help, I believe that is inevitable. The monster chase card will look awful in NT, Limited, Certified, Platinum, etc...and who wants to chase something that looks like crap or spend thousands to acquire it, either way I believe you lose out.

The football card market is going down fairly fast as a whole and I believe this garbage will only accelerate that decline. Hope I am wrong!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
First world problems...

This has to be one of the worst reasons to rant about sports cards. Maybe they should make extra special cards per everyone's request because, God forbid, a relative handful of people don't like them.
You totally missed my point. They are ugly, they will be the featured cards in NT, and other products. Did I mention they are UGLY? Also, see my front row/championship ticket analogy. I see the same with these except worse. Sure all these idiots are gonna blow stupid money on RG3 and Luck thinking they are great, but on average these IMO will hurt products and collecting as a whole IMO. Not a rant, just my opinion
Old 10-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #41 (permalink)

Shield cards in general are ugly, I've never understood the appeal about the cards besides the numbering.

I'd so much rather have the same card as a shield but with a nice 3 color or logo patch, I don't give a crap about the NFL when I'm collecting my favorite players cards, I care about my team
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

So these are taking the place of the old 1/1 shields that were from the bottom of the neckline correct? I honestly when I first saw this thought they were more manufactured logo pieces, they look like rubber or plastic or something how does that even work on a jersey?

It is kind of a bummer, they look weird and fake. I liked how a stitched logo looked on a card, all the little woven details.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
Shield cards in general are ugly, I've never understood the appeal about the cards besides the numbering.

I'd so much rather have the same card as a shield but with a nice 3 color or logo patch, I don't give a crap about the NFL when I'm collecting my favorite players cards, I care about my team
These cards are gorgeous in person. The stiching is way nicer then plastic

Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
These cards are gorgeous in person. The stiching is way nicer then plastic

It's not the new vs old shield that I'm talking about but the shield in general

If I were a Jets fan I would so much rather have the same card with the same numbering but with part of the Jets logo patch instead.

Why would I care about the damn NFL logo when I'm a fan of "X" team
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

This makes no sense, I own the Martin since I am addicted to these mirror blacks, not in love with the "sticker" but why cant panini at least be consistent. The Kendall Wright is like the older version before the agreement with Nike was reached...why on why haha

My fear would be people look at these and think they are fake since the old jersey is not being used this year...???

and this one i own has the "sticker" NFL logos?

Old 11-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
This makes no sense, I own the Martin since I am addicted to these mirror blacks, not in love with the "sticker" but why cant panini at least be consistent. The Kendall Wright is like the older version before the agreement with Nike was reached...why on why haha

My fear would be people look at these and think they are fake since the old jersey is not being used this year...???

and this one i own has the "sticker" NFL logos?

That seems odd...I thought it has a helmet piece in it like the Martin. But the Wright has 2 stitched pieces when one is supposed to be a helmet right?
Current Open Group Breaks: None
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #47 (permalink)

Honestly, Panini might just have some "00" Reebok Titans jerseys laying around that they had Wright put on. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejarox7620 View Post
That seems odd...I thought it has a helmet piece in it like the Martin. But the Wright has 2 stitched pieces when one is supposed to be a helmet right?
Yeah, I was under the impression all the 2012 cards would have the "sticker" NFL logo in them but I was wrong.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #49 (permalink)

Is that Matt Ryan yours?
fishdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdaddy View Post
Is that Matt Ryan yours?
I wish, it sold on ebay for like 6,200 or so haha