Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Detroit Lions thread

Give us a place to discuss our thoughts on the team.

Please if you are a fan of another team and want to come in here and bash the Lions, just refrain. I just want somewhere to get other people's takes on the Lions.

Coaching Staff- I had a lot of belief in Schwartz and Co. That is pretty much non existent now. We don't play smart, we don't play disciplined, and we never can adjust, or hold anyone accountable. I am referring to Logan still returning kicks. Alphonso Smith coming off the streets and being put in to cover Brandon Marshall, while our best DB is covering Earl Bennett. Would LOVE to see us get a real coach like Dungy or Cowher instead of trying to find a gem.

Stafford- Still love the guy, I do think he is the long term answer. With that said I think he needs to put more work into his game to become great. He has happy feet, he is constantly throwing off his back foot, he changes his delivery too often too. Do NOT take this the wrong way. I have all the faith in him to take Detroit to the next level, but he needs to put work in, and we probably need a better OC or QB coach to work with him.

RBs- Detroit deserved what happened to them tonight with these two backs fumbling in critical situations because of the way they treated Kevin Smith. Smith is no superstar, but he is a solid option who does everything that is asked of him. Where does that and solid stats get you in Detroit? From 1st string to inactive one LeShoure returned. I do think LeShoure is going to be very good. But, you should have not done Smith the way you did.

WR- Early word is Nate is out. That is a bummer, but I was VERY impressed with Broyles. I didn't like the draft pick at the time, but he does seem like a very legit WR and if Titus doesn't get his head out of his ass Broyles could be the #2 in this offense in no time. HUGE drop by Calvin tonight, I think he had a shot in the first to take that to the house. But he is allowed to make mistakes too I guess

TE- Love Pettigrew, collect the #@#@#@#@ outta him, but he can't catch or hold onto the ball. Scheff is the exact opposite. I think a change needs to be made.

OLine- Reiff needs to start. Gosder is our only other decent player on the line. Backus has been in the league forever, but is good for 1-2 false starts a game. How is that even possible? Raiola is undersized, a hot head, and can't block to save his life.

Special Teams- How Logan was even allowed to go back out there tonight is beyond me after the second fumble. He has a half dozen fumbles on the year, and a ton last year. Needs to go! Hanson is a beast. Harris is by far the worst P in the NFL. Only a team like the Lions would employ him. Hanson did better as a P when Graham when down in the middle of a game

Defense- Was actually pretty solid tonight. I still think this D Line is WAY overrated and sucks at getting pressure on the QB. Our LB core is the strongest point on defense. No complaints there. DBs, well, they are banged up. But Jonte Green blows, I think there are a lot of players out there that could come in and do better. I love Houston and Delmas, unfortunate that we are so banged up at this position.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

I really like Schwartz, but I think last season he plateaued. Might be time to move on soon and find someone to get us over the hump.

Crossman HAS to go.

Defense looked alright, give up too many 3rd and longs though.

Offensive line needs to be scrapped. At least run Raiola and Backus out of town and give Riley Reiff the opportunity to grow.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lions need to bring in Marcus Easley
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with most of what you said above. I am also beginning to question if Schwartz is the man to take the Lions to the next level....

Tonight was a tough loss as most of the games have been this season. Other than the 49ers game we have been 1 or 2 plays away from winning all of our games. I think its the details we are missing. The discipline and the fundamentals are just not there to make these key plays to pull out the win. The turnovers at critical times, overthrown or dropped passes at key moments, mistakes on special teams, and worst of all penalties at the worst possible moments. It is one or two of these key mistakes each week that costs us the game. Even Stafford and Calvin have made some of these crucial mistakes.

Photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/lors/Football%20Cards/
lionsfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason122883 View Post
Give us a place to discuss our thoughts on the team.

Please if you are a fan of another team and want to come in here and bash the Lions, just refrain. I just want somewhere to get other people's takes on the Lions.

Coaching Staff- I had a lot of belief in Schwartz and Co. That is pretty much non existent now. We don't play smart, we don't play disciplined, and we never can adjust, or hold anyone accountable. I am referring to Logan still returning kicks. Alphonso Smith coming off the streets and being put in to cover Brandon Marshall, while our best DB is covering Earl Bennett. Would LOVE to see us get a real coach like Dungy or Cowher instead of trying to find a gem. Agree with everything here..

Stafford- Still love the guy, I do think he is the long term answer. With that said I think he needs to put more work into his game to become great. He has happy feet, he is constantly throwing off his back foot, he changes his delivery too often too. Do NOT take this the wrong way. I have all the faith in him to take Detroit to the next level, but he needs to put work in, and we probably need a better OC or QB coach to work with him. I think he is the franchise Q, but god is he annoying. He just doesn't think sometimes, He'll run around waiting to get sacked in every key situation, at least hurl it up to Calvin and give us a chance.

RBs- Detroit deserved what happened to them tonight with these two backs fumbling in critical situations because of the way they treated Kevin Smith. Smith is no superstar, but he is a solid option who does everything that is asked of him. Where does that and solid stats get you in Detroit? From 1st string to inactive one LeShoure returned. I do think LeShoure is going to be very good. But, you should have not done Smith the way you did. Leshoure is a keeper, I think he'll focus on not fumbling after today along with the whole team and be alright.
WR- Early word is Nate is out. That is a bummer, but I was VERY impressed with Broyles. I didn't like the draft pick at the time, but he does seem like a very legit WR and if Titus doesn't get his head out of his ass Broyles could be the #2 in this offense in no time. HUGE drop by Calvin tonight, I think he had a shot in the first to take that to the house. But he is allowed to make mistakes too I guess . Broyles impressed me also, as well as Titus at the end (WTF was he doing with his hand?). Broyles looked like what we need; someone who won't drop the ball.
TE- Love Pettigrew, collect the #@#@#@#@ outta him, but he can't catch or hold onto the ball. Scheff is the exact opposite. I think a change needs to be made.Eh, I kinda like Pettigrew, normally solid
OLine- Reiff needs to start. Gosder is our only other decent player on the line. Backus has been in the league forever, but is good for 1-2 false starts a game. How is that even possible? Raiola is undersized, a hot head, and can't block to save his life.

Special Teams- How Logan was even allowed to go back out there tonight is beyond me after the second fumble. He has a half dozen fumbles on the year, and a ton last year. Needs to go! Hanson is a beast. Harris is by far the worst P in the NFL. Only a team like the Lions would employ him. Hanson did better as a P when Graham when down in the middle of a game . Time for a new returner, I think give Titus a chance to lose the job. Didn't he return for BSU?
Defense- Was actually pretty solid tonight. I still think this D Line is WAY overrated and sucks at getting pressure on the QB. Our LB core is the strongest point on defense. No complaints there. DBs, well, they are banged up. But Jonte Green blows, I think there are a lot of players out there that could come in and do better. I love Houston and Delmas, unfortunate that we are so banged up at this position. Just need to get healthy and stay that way, Linebackers and DLine were great, our corners were overmatched.Your thoughts?
My thoughts are above...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMARLIN View Post
My thoughts are above...
Titus was a returner. I do think he or Justin Miller need to get a shot at it. As to what he was doing after his catches. I could not tell you. I have been a huge Pettigrew fan. Have a very nice high end collection of him. But I think he needs a wake up call. Just too many dumb mistakes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Titus was a returner. I do think he or Justin Miller need to get a shot at it. As to what he was doing after his catches. I could not tell you. I have been a huge Pettigrew fan. Have a very nice high end collection of him. But I think he needs a wake up call. Just too many dumb mistakes
I kind of liked it Also noticed his jersey now says Young Sr now instead of just Young, any idea on that? I'd like to see Young get his chance, he has some explosive moves... Didn't Logan get in trouble for something else last year?

As sad as it is to see Burleson get hurt, I can't wait to see Broyles shine. Was he the all time NCAA receptions leader or something? Very excited about him.

Alsom, Too much showboating when we were getting embarrased from the D, but that falls under the coaching.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lets kick the tires on Plaxico
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I kind of liked it Also noticed his jersey now says Young Sr now instead of just Young, any idea on that? I'd like to see Young get his chance, he has some explosive moves... Didn't Logan get in trouble for something else last year?

As sad as it is to see Burleson get hurt, I can't wait to see Broyles shine. Was he the all time NCAA receptions leader or something? Very excited about him.

Alsom, Too much showboating when we were getting embarrased from the D, but that falls under the coaching.
Dead on with a lot of your statements. Titus from what I understand became a father in the offseason and asked if he could switch his name. Fine by me. Logan's only troubles last year are the same ones this year..... Fumbles. I agree on Burly. Big leader for our offense, but on the other hand it opens the door for someone else to shine. I do think Broyles is all time leader. If not at least team leader in catches. He is a true WR though. Runs great routes, has great hands. Doesn't come off as a burner, but I don't think you'll see many drops
Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
Lets kick the tires on Plaxico
You ready to shoot me on the spot? I wouldn't mind bringing in T.O for a shot
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Titus had a son, so he changed his jersey to Young Sr.
Quote:
You ready to shoot me on the spot? I wouldn't mind bringing in T.O for a shot
T.O. couldn't even cut it on the Seahawks. Why bring him here?

Last edited by MI Rob; 10-23-2012 at 01:16 AM.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
Titus had a son, so he changed it his jersey to Young Sr.

T.O. couldn't even cut it on the Seahawks. Why bring him here?
He is one of the only receivers that comes to mind when I think about stretching the field
Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

They Suck

- The End
VikingsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsAllDay View Post
They Suck

- The End
Wait, didn't the Vikings just come out of a 3-13 season?

Troll elsewhere.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Troll elsewhere.
Funny how you can politely ask people not to come in and troll. Then this moron does exactly that. I would take Stafford on his worse day over Ponder
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Funny how you can politely ask people not to come in and troll. Then this moron does exactly that. I would take Stafford on his worse day over Ponder
And Stefan Logan over Percy
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
He is one of the only receivers that comes to mind when I think about stretching the field
Not sure we need a field stretcher....we need someone to take the focus off of CJ. I think Plax could do that. Also gives another legit red zone target
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
Not sure we need a field stretcher....we need someone to take the focus off of CJ. I think Plax could do that. Also gives another legit red zone target
I agree, and would be ok with Plax. Just threw out another option too. I wouldn't mind seeing both of them come in for workouts. Let their play decide
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

With all the bad passes from Stafford tonight, I was waiting for them to put in their backup QB Kellen Moore to try to finish off the game with a 2 minute offense. At least it might have changed the tempo a bit or shaken up the Bears' plans a little. I like the team as is, but after having a muffed punt/kickoff, you should be done for the night. No more second chances. Titus Young should've been thrown out there after the first muffed return.

Tonights game was decided by all the dropped passes, muffed punt/kickoffs, and fumbles. In other words, the Lions lost the game on their own from their poor performance. They need to practice heavily on ball control this week.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Let me start off by saying I'm a HUGE Packers fan but I have alot of respect for the Lions. Megatron is the best receiver in the NFL, hands down. Stafford has the ability to be an elite QB in a few years if he can pick it up this season. Kyle Vanden Bosch is an incredible player as well. I think that the NFC North is going to be a really fun division to watch for the next few years.

One more thing.....

Go Tigers!!! I hope they beat the Cardinals!!!
Copeskey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm telling you guys, Easley is the answer!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

The Lions just need to limit their mistakes. They should have won last night but they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot in crunch time. They sure made the bears look like a better team then they are.
matt roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
With all the bad passes from Stafford tonight, I was waiting for them to put in their backup QB Kellen Moore to try to finish off the game with a 2 minute offense. At least it might have changed the tempo a bit or shaken up the Bears' plans a little. I like the team as is, but after having a muffed punt/kickoff, you should be done for the night. No more second chances. Titus Young should've been thrown out there after the first muffed return.

Tonights game was decided by all the dropped passes, muffed punt/kickoffs, and fumbles. In other words, the Lions lost the game on their own from their poor performance. They need to practice heavily on ball control this week.
So which was it...bad passes or dropped passes?

Also, Kellen Moore isn't the backup...that's Shaun Hill. Both of those QBs dont give the Lions a better chance to win that Stafford. If they did, the coaches would be playing them.

Say what you want, but Stafford wasn't even close to being the reason why we lost against the Bears. Even as bad as he's played this year, I don't think you can point at him and say he's the reason the Lions lost any game this year. Has his performance hurt us at times, yes. But, the Lions beat themselves in the other areas more.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

Troll elsewhere.
Which is why when we went 3-13 we had all kinds of Lions fans thinking they hit the jackpot...you pissed in the pot first...now we're giving it back...doesn't taste good does it???
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03supto View Post
Which is why when we went 3-13 we had all kinds of Lions fans thinking they hit the jackpot...you pissed in the pot first...now we're giving it back...doesn't taste good does it???
Come back to this thread in the end of the season. I could be wrong, because their record is pretty good right now. But I doubt the Vikes even make the playoffs this year