Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I ask for a refund?

Hey everyone,

As I've said a few times I bought a picture (8x10) of Ryan Tannehill to try and get signed. However, upon recieving it today the package was forced into my mailbox, lazy postal worker didn't want to get up and bring it to the door, and creased it. The evelope said "DO NOT BEND" like 10 times on the package. My question is there anything I can do? Is it wrong to ask for a refund from the seller or should I take it up with the PO. The seller didn't insure the item so I'm just trying to find out if I'm SOL or what.

Any and all help is appreciated,
Andy
HenneFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not the sellers fault. Need to contact the P.O.
Boozler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozler79 View Post
Not the sellers fault. Need to contact the P.O.
Seller has a responsibility to get you the item as stated - that didn't happen.

They didn't insure it.

The buyer can absolutely ask for a refund. I'd personally try to work with the seller - but the seller took the risk without insurance.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I just got back from the PO who told me that they can't do anything with it. I told them how disappointing it was to know that we have people delivering mail who can't read big bold letters. After I find out that the football I ordered isn't allowed to be brought in and now this I can't help but be even more upset.....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Personally, I'd take it up with the PO, if you were the seller you would probably pretty upset if a guy turned round and asked for a refund because of a lazy ass postal worker. However, if the PO turn around and say 'sorry, this would not happen as we train our staff highly' and all that rubbish, then shoot a message to the seller. Hard decision to make really.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

insurance protects the seller, not the buyer
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
insurance protects the seller, not the buyer
Bingo.

I agree it sucks for the seller - they didn't mean for the PO worker to suck - but they also live with the consequences if the buyer wants a refund for damage because they didn't insure it.

If this was a $500 photo signed by Mickey Mantle would we all say the buyer should suck it up? Of course not - they'd get refunded immediately if the seller didn't purchase insurance.

The fact that it's a Ryan Tannehill picture is irrelevant other then the fact that Id at least try to work it out with the seller before filing for a refund since it is a low value item.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sent the seller a message telling him that from now on he needs to insure his items. I told him that I would still give a positive because the picture probably would have arrived ok if it wasn't for the incompetent postal worker. Just blows because now I'm stuck with a creased picture. Maybe the seller will offer a replacement, I don't know. As most of you have said it's one of those odd descisions...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Bingo.

I agree it sucks for the seller - they didn't mean for the PO worker to suck - but they also live with the consequences if the buyer wants a refund for damage because they didn't insure it.

If this was a $500 photo signed by Mickey Mantle would we all say the buyer should suck it up? Of course not - they'd get refunded immediately if the seller didn't purchase insurance.

The fact that it's a Ryan Tannehill picture is irrelevant other then the fact that Id at least try to work it out with the seller before filing for a refund since it is a low value item.
Look at you!!! You go girl!!!

Makes more sense putting it into those terms.

Yeah, I always think if I can't absorb the loss of replacement, I better insure it.

Sucks your postal worker is a buffoon, but it is what it is.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea that is the thing that sucks about paypal and ebay. It is the sellers responsibility to make sure it gets there ok. They could package an item perfectly but if some dope at the post office screws it up its still on the seller's head. So you would be well within your rights to ask for a refund if you really wanted to. I think some might ask for a refund, or some people might just let it go if it was a low dollar amount since they know it really wasnt the sellers fault, even though they could get the money back if they wanted to pursue it. I would just say its up to you how you want to pursue it, either option is valid

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

lol well I guess I'm split now. The guy said he would mail out a replacement but I have to order something else to get it. Nothing's ever easy...
Old 10-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenneFan007 View Post
lol well I guess I'm split now. The guy said he would mail out a replacement but I have to order something else to get it. Nothing's ever easy...
Sure it is - if that's going to be his attitude, trying to get another sale because his original sale was damaged, then file the paypal claim and be done with it.

As Grant put it - and he's exactly right - the seller should have insured if it he can't afford to take the loss. He didn't insure it - so if you file claim that's his own fault and he has to take the loss.

I agree with what you did by contacting the seller first - but him trying to get you to order something else is lame.

In the end it comes down to what you think about the money you spent. Forget the seller. Is the money spent something you'd throw away? or is it something you aren't comfortable "losing"?

If it was $5.00 I'd say F it and move on - but $5.00 to someone else means something potentially - $5.00 to me isn't worth my time to go after.

So just as the seller has to decide if insurance is worth it on something he could lose you have to decide if the money you spent is worth going after - because you are well within your rights to do so.

Last edited by asujbl; 10-25-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

I have saved over 2K not insuring every item. Its not worth it unless its a big sale.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
I have saved over 2K not insuring every item. Its not worth it unless its a big sale.
Which is relevant how? You have saved $2K - which is great - and as soon as someone files a claim against you because you didn't insure and it was damaged - whether $2.00 or $2,000 - you will lose.

Point being that $2K you saved was because you didn't want the protection as a seller. Insurance isn't for the buyer - and this thread is about a buyer getting a damaged item.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just my opinion, but as a seller i think i have the burden of making sure that my item is packaged so that it doesn't get damaged in delivery. Sometimes just writing "Do Not Bend" is not going to be enough. If it was packaged well with some cardboard and was just destroyed by the post office that's another story...but if the seller just put do not bend and stuck it in an envelope then that's not good enough for me, i would expect a little more.

As a buyer I'd probably just take it to the post office counter and ask them not to bend my mail in the future...and I'd let the seller know it was damaged in shipping. Maybe he has an extra he will just drop you another one out since its not that expensive.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
Which is relevant how? You have saved $2K - which is great - and as soon as someone files a claim against you because you didn't insure and it was damaged - whether $2.00 or $2,000 - you will lose.

Point being that $2K you saved was because you didn't want the protection as a seller. Insurance isn't for the buyer - and this thread is about a buyer getting a damaged item.
Exactly, I rather save 2K and lose 40$ the spend 2K and save 40$. Get it? I am not saying he should not refund him, but saying to those people that said he should of bought insurance that its not worth it unless its a big sale.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Exactly, I rather save 2K and lose 40$ the spend 2K and save 40$. Get it? I am not saying he should not refund him, but saying to those people that said he should of bought insurance that its not worth it unless its a big sale.
Gotcha - and I agree with you that I'd rather save $2K over losing $40 - I don't insure very much. I'll be the first to admit.

I guess my point was that whether it was $5 or $500 the seller has no reason to not refund the buyer as it was his choice to not get the insurance.

I think we are saying the same thing.