Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bears Fans(Or anyone else): Your opinions on Possibility of Te'o taking over For 54?

Heard some talk about the Bears trading up to get manti Te'o in the draft( I can shoot some links below if you dont believe me) No big sources or real true talk yet, But its an interesting idea:

The three big things about it:

1. The Trade: The Bears will likely finish with a bottom third draft pick, and Te'o is a possible top 10 pick, so the Bears would have to trade up. Now the Bears are without a third round pick, and I doubt any team would give up a top 10 pick for a low first round and low second round pick alone, therefore the Bears would be forced to trade someone of decent value, Possible Canidates:

a. Brian Urlacher- This is actually number 2 of my three big things. Do you trade a legend, an Icon, and one of the most prolific players not only in franchise history but in NFL History away for the betterment of the future of the team? Brian already came out and said hed like to get two more years at best, and they need a replacment for him. So getting Te'o and trading Urlacher could be huge for the Bears future, But it could also Cause Uproar, as he has been with the team forever. Every Bears fan, Myself included, would be upset if he didnt retire as a Bear so in my opinion this trade will not happen

b. Lance Briggs-Again we are talking about a Bears legend here. But he is getting into his 30s and hes had some issues with the team, including almost every other year complaining about wanting to get paid more. But again, I think trading him would make people unhappy, but not as unhappy as trading Urlacher, because I think its obvious Briggs is all about the money, whereas I have never seen Urlacher say a word about his contract.

c. No one- Number 3 on my big three list fits in here. Is it worth it? The Bears are currently 5-1, With Debatebly the Best Defense in the league. So Brian might retire in two years, but would it be in the Bears Best intrest to not worry about replacing him until he retires? Or should they act now and find a way to get Te'o?

Please Let me know your opinions Below. Again this hasnt really been formally talked about, just a few blogs here and there, and I found it an interesting conundrum.

Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't want them to trade Urlacher b/c like you said he's a Bear and should always be a Bear. I don't want them to trade Briggs b/c he's just too damn good. I'd rather see them sacrifice draft picks if this is the guy they are going after.

That being said it's impossible right now to even see what directions teams are going to go in.

I would them rather focus on their OL

Last edited by trixstar; 10-24-2012 at 11:06 PM.
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
I don't want them to trade Urlacher b/c like you said he's a Bear and should always be a Bear. I don't want them to trade Briggs b/c he's just too damn good. I'd rather see them sacrifice draft picks if this is the guy they are going after.

That being said it's impossible right now to even see what directions teams are going to go in.
I agree word for word there. But Like I said, at what point do you realize hes not going to be playing forever and someones going to have to replace him. Of course, if theres enough confidence in Roach's Abilites he could do it, you just never know.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bears don't need a LB... if they don't go OL first in the draft, the GM should be fired.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Bears don't need a LB... if they don't go OL first in the draft, the GM should be fired.
Agreed, like I said it came up on my google+ newsfeed and I thought it was an interesting topic.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I want him on the Browns...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasacar86 View Post
I want him on the Browns...
Nah, you dont need him In all seriousness I think hes going to be a top 5 pick, So the Browns should have a shot at him unless they turn the season around, ehich they might, you never know.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Nah, you dont need him In all seriousness I think hes going to be a top 5 pick, So the Browns should have a shot at him unless they turn the season around, ehich they might, you never know.
Ha no by all means if the Bears do that they replace a HOFer with a great rookie, but I'd love for us to move DQJ to the outside (since we have no one there and he's aging and never can play a full season) and drop Te'o in the middle. I really can't think of any other move we will make in the top 5 besides D end or corner and no corner will prove to be worthy of such a pick.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Like some have said bigger needs to fill. This falls into the fantasy draft kind of rumor, of course every team would like the top defender or top quarterback or whatever depending on their needs. But sometimes you aren't in position to do that. Too many dumb rumors float around in sports especially related to drafts.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Like some have said bigger needs to fill. This falls into the fantasy draft kind of rumor, of course every team would like the top defender or top quarterback or whatever depending on their needs. But sometimes you aren't in position to do that. Too many dumb rumors float around in sports especially related to drafts.
I agree, but disagree. I agree about the stupid rumors thing, and that they have bigger holes to fill, kinda. Here look at it this way. Say the Bears are able to claim the Super boel championship, and now Urlacher has his ring, so he decides to retire. Its going to take 3 or 4 draft classes to fix this O-Line, but the Bears would likely want to stay a contender, and in the past we have seen the D struggle without Brian, Now Te'o has a lot of the same traits as Brian, so it would hopefully be a smooth transition. Now if he retires this year, I would be in favor of trading up to Te'o and using 2nd and 4th round picks on lineman. Im just throwing some food for thought out there.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
a. Brian Urlacher- This is actually number 2 of my three big things. Do you trade a legend, an Icon, and one of the most prolific players not only in franchise history but in NFL History away for the betterment of the future of the team? Brian already came out and said hed like to get two more years at best, and they need a replacment for him. So getting Te'o and trading Urlacher could be huge for the Bears future, But it could also Cause Uproar, as he has been with the team forever. Every Bears fan, Myself included, would be upset if he didnt retire as a Bear so in my opinion this trade will not happen
Legend? Not quite.
Icon? In Chicago maybe
Prolific player in NFL History? I LOL'ed at this.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray27Ray52 View Post
Legend? Not quite.
Icon? In Chicago maybe
Yes he is a Legend. If you can find one person who dosent know who Brian Urlacher is, Id like to meet him, so he is an Icon. And He is certainly Prolific, youre going to tell me hes not one of the most productive players in NFL history? Hes in the 20/20 as well as the 40/20 club(1 of only 4). Id say thats productive. I never said Lewis wasnt more of an Icon or More Prolific Which I know is the only reason youd bash Urlacher, Is because you think ray is better.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes he is a Legend. If you can find one person who dosent know who Brian Urlacher is, Id like to meet him, so he is an Icon. And He is certainly Prolific, youre going to tell me hes not one of the most productive players in NFL history? Hes in the 20/20 as well as the 40/20 club(1 of only 4). Id say thats productive. I never said Lewis wasnt more of an Icon or More Prolific Which I know is the only reason youd bash Urlacher, Is because you think ray is better.
I know Ray is better actually. As would 99 out of 100 random people you may ask.

I said what I did, not because of R. Lewis, but because Urlacher isn't even the most Iconic or Legendary LB of his own team, let alone in NFL History. That honor falls to Dick Butkus.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I know Ray is better actually. As would 99 out of 100 random people you may ask.

I said what I did, not because of R. Lewis, but because Urlacher isn't even the most Iconic or Legendary LB of his own team, let alone in NFL History. That honor falls to Dick Butkus.
I Said Lewis was better and I also said ONE of the most Iconic and Legendary, not THE most iconic and legendary
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I Said Lewis was better and I also said ONE of the most Iconic and Legendary, not THE most iconic and legendary
Fair enough. Not really trying to start a debate.

Urlacher is a sure fire HOF'er, that we can agree on.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Fair enough. Not really trying to start a debate.

Urlacher is a sure fire HOF'er, that we can agree on.
True dat.....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

No team is going to trade out of a top 10 draft slot for an aging linebacker. Ever. No way the Bears can move up to get him. Hub Arkush covered this topic the other day. Another way to look at it: Brand new GM, has one draft under his belt, what side of the ball did he go to this year? Defense. McClellin has been rumored to be that new breed LB, they are grooming him to replace Urlacher. What is the Bears biggest, gapping, gigantic need right now? O-Line, O-Line, and then after they do that? The O-Line again. Webb and Carimi are barely functioning in their positions. Half the line is bad and Garza isn't getting any younger. A stud linebacker doesn't help you from keeping N-stomp-a-kong Suh from sitting on Cutlers head twice a year.

Sorry, Te'o won't be drafted by the Bears, and if they did it would be a huge mistake.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

He'd cost the Bears an absolute fortune...

Bears would be straight up insane to do it. At this point they'll be drafting between like 25 or up.

To move into the Top 5, which it will take, would cost them future 1sts and more.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

I could see them going after Taylor Lewan, OT from Michigan, but then again a lot of people have him the there top 5-10
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
He'd cost the Bears an absolute fortune...

Bears would be straight up insane to do it. At this point they'll be drafting between like 25 or up.

To move into the Top 5, which it will take, would cost them future 1sts and more.
This is what I was thinking, the price would be much too to be worth it. This is why it's a silly rumor. These kinds of things just don't happen unless you are playing Madden. If they did you'd be seeing this every year, a bunch of teams desperately trying to move up to grab the best player at whatever position they have needs at. But they don't because they are professionals. They sit back and roll with the punches and do they best they can given the circumstances.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Bears need to draft a tight end that can actually catch something
Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't ever rule this out. If you told me two years that Peyton Manning would not retire as an Indianapolis Colt I would've laughed in your face. And then proceeded to slap you in the face and insult your intelligence. But we all saw how that turned out
Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

This is silly, it would make no sense for us to do this. We've got Briggs under contract for 2 more years after this year and Urlacher will be a free agent. The Bears will resign Urlacher for 2 years probably.

We need lineman like freethrowtommy said. All of our draft picks should be linemen

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/dabears1985/a/for-sale
DaBears 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Legend? Not quite.
Icon? In Chicago maybe
Brian Urlacher

Awards
2000 NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the Year
2005 NFL AP Defensive Player of the Year

Pro Bowls

And Counting:
Fumbles recovered 14. INT 21. Over 1,000 tackles so far. 41.5 sacks (and the Bears dont blitz LB's much)

Obviously we can go on about the man. So why would you LOL when someone says "One of the most Prolific players in NFL History"? The Chicago Bears invented the LB position. Following in the foot steps of Bill George, Dick Butkus & Mike Singletary is hard enough. Obviously Urlacher has stood out and made a name for himself. I think Seau, LT & Ray Lewis are all better, But if you think he is not Prolific and a HOFer you sir dont know football.

Rank-Opedia
http://www.rankopedia.com/Greatest-L...tep1/1405/.htm

Last edited by Grid; 10-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hate to throw my .02 but he will end up going top 5 IMO i dont think bears will have assets to obtain him.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote